Robert Edward John (Robin) Compton, DL (1922-2009)

Michael Rhodes

Nov 18, 2009, 6:03:58 AM11/18/09
to Peerage News
Robert Edward John (Robin) Compton, DL, sometime squire of Newby Hall,
near Ripon, North Yorkshire, scion of the Marquesses of Northampton,
died 14 Nov 2009, at the age of 87. He was born 11 Jul 1922, son of
Edward Robert Francis Compton (1891-1977), A godson of King Edward
VII, of Newby Hall, by his 1st wife the former Sylvia Farquharson (of
Invercauld).

http://thepeerage.com/p6950.htm#i69496

His elder brother, Alwyne (b 1 May 1919) succeeded as chief of the
clan Farquharson of Invercauld and assumed that surname. Robin Compton
was educ at Eton; served as Maj Coldstream Guards; was High Sheriff of
North Yorks, 1978; married 5 Jul 1951, Ursula Jane Kenyon-Slaney (b
1920), scion of the Barons Kenyon, former wife of (i) Lt-Col David
Lindsay, scion of the Earls of Crawford & Balcarres, and (ii) Sir John
William Maxwell (Max) Aitken, 2nd Baronet (the disclaimed 2nd Baron
Beaverbrook). He leaves issue, (i) James Alwyn Compton, b 11 May,
1953 (heir to the clan chieftainship of Farquharson of Invercauld),
married to Lady Tania Frances Meade, a dau of the Earl of Clanwilliam,
& (ii) Richard Clephane Compton, b 18 Apr 1957, who succeeded to the
Newby estate, married to Ursula Hohler, of that LG family.

--==--

marquess

Nov 18, 2009, 9:04:20 AM11/18/09
to Peerage News
This is a very interesting branch of the Compton family, the Scottish
acreage is quite substantial, though I am not sure about the Yorkshire
estate perhaps someone can enlighten us on that? I believe that the
Newby estate will be inherited by Richard, and the Scottish estates to
his elder brother James Alywne who has three sons. If the current
marquess of Northampton's son doesn't have a son and his nephew
neither (they have 4 daus between them) then the marquisate is likely
to go to this branch of the family.

On 17 Nov, 23:03, Michael Rhodes <mig73allenford2...@yahoo.co.uk>

Michael Rhodes

Nov 18, 2009, 9:17:20 AM11/18/09
to Peerage News
I am informed that when the times comes Jamie Compton
will assume the surname "Farquharson of Invercauld".

The Newby Hall website:
http://www.newbyhall.com/netbuildpro/process/5/FacilitiesUsefulInformation.html

http://www.britainsfinest.co.uk/gardens/gardens.cfm/searchazref/81001340NEWA

marquess

Nov 18, 2009, 6:18:42 PM11/18/09
to Peerage News
Thanks for that Michael, I am sure that there must be more acreage
than just 40 acres for the woodland and 25 for the gardens, perhaps
someone with local knowledge can enlighten us?

On 18 Nov, 02:17, Michael Rhodes <mig73allenford2...@yahoo.co.uk>
wrote:
> I am informed that when the times comes Jamie Compton
> will assume the surname "Farquharson of Invercauld".
>
> The Newby Hall website:http://www.newbyhall.com/netbuildpro/process/5/FacilitiesUsefulInform...
>
> http://www.britainsfinest.co.uk/gardens/gardens.cfm/searchazref/81001...

bx...@yahoo.com

Nov 21, 2009, 1:00:59 PM11/21/09
to Peerage News
His great-niece is Zara Noel (nee Van Cutsem) who just two days prior
to his passing, gave birth to a daughter (see the Violet Ruth Noel
post).

Robert was the younger brother of Mary van Cutsem who was Zara's
grandmother.

Brooke

On Nov 18, 6:03�am, Michael Rhodes <mig73allenford2...@yahoo.co.uk>

Michael Rhodes

Nov 24, 2009, 11:40:11 AM11/24/09
to Peerage News
Robin Compton's Yorkshire Post obituary:-

http://www.yorkshirepost.co.uk/obituaries/Robert-Compton.5845372.jp

--==--

-

Michael Rhodes

Nov 26, 2009, 7:05:14 AM11/26/09
to Peerage News

A quote from the Yorkshire Post obit:-

Mr Compton leaves his wife, and sons, James Compton (Farquharson of
Invercauld) and Richard Compton, the owner of Newby Hall.

Can we assume that Jamie Compton is now Ffarquharson of Invercauld ?

On Nov 24, 4:40 pm, Michael Rhodes <mig73allenford2...@yahoo.co.uk>

Michael Rhodes

Dec 9, 2009, 8:27:33 AM12/9/09
to Peerage News
Robin Compton's Daily Telegraph obituary

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/obituaries/6762966/Robin-Compton.html

-==-