Protocol question

bx...@yahoo.com

Sep 19, 2022, 6:27:42 PM9/19/22
to Peerage News
The Lord Great Chamberlain under the Queen, the Marquess of Cholmondeley, has already been replaced by Lord Carrington.

My question is this: Will the Lord Chamberlain under the Queen,  Lord Parker of Minsmere, also be replaced, or will he serve under King Charles III?

Thanks.

Brooke

malcolm davies

Sep 19, 2022, 7:34:15 PM9/19/22
to Peerage News
Not necessarily.It is up to the King.
The Lord Great Chamberlainship changes because the title is hereditary and is held in gross ie between many heirs as it has passed down the female line.The change results from a family agreement dating back to 1912 following a decision of the House of Lords in 1902.
The Earl of Clarendon remained Lord Chamberlain after the death of Queen Victoria.Ditto the Marques of Conyngham with the death of William IV.

bx...@yahoo.com

Sep 19, 2022, 7:54:02 PM9/19/22
to Peerage News
Thank you, malcolm.

Brooke.

Jonathan

Sep 20, 2022, 7:42:55 AM9/20/22
to Peerage News
I was wondering whether there will be a by-electon for a crossbench hereditary peer, as Lord Carrington is now a member of the House by virtue of being Lord Great Chamberlain, and so not one of the 90 peers who are elected. I believe Lord Cholmondeley in practice never attended sittings of the House. Had he done so, he would presumably now no longer be able to attend, unless he sought election or was awarded a life peerage.

john

Sep 20, 2022, 8:11:09 AM9/20/22
to Peerage News
As discussed at another thread in this group, Cholmondeley remains sitting in the HoL (section 2(3) HoL Act 1999) and there should be no by-election for Carrington by the wording in the standing rules.

I just was surprised, that the Lord Chamberlain, not the LGC broke his staff over the coffin.

sven_me...@web.de

Sep 20, 2022, 8:16:21 AM9/20/22
to Peerage News
He said in an interview he attended shortly after succeding. Now he is on leave of absence for a long time.

Jonathan

Sep 20, 2022, 12:00:52 PM9/20/22
to Peerage News
Thanks for the replies. I found the thread on "Lord Great Chamberlain heirs":

However, it does not appear to address what will happen to Lord Cholmondeley, nor does it say that there will be no by-election for Lord Carrington's seat; indeed, the Hansard quote implies otherwise. Is there another thread that clarifies this?

malcolm davies

Sep 20, 2022, 5:47:36 PM9/20/22
to Peerage News
John,
         There is no breaking of a staff by the Lord Great Chamberlain as the office is hereditary.
The holders of the office are the heirs of the 3rd Duke of Ancaster.

colinp

Sep 23, 2022, 6:45:15 AM9/23/22
to Peerage News

Jonathan

Sep 26, 2022, 5:48:01 AM9/26/22
to Peerage News
Is the staff that the Lord Great Chamberlain holds, for example at the State Opening, the same one that the Lord Chamberlain broke in St George's Chapel? I ask as I have seen pictures of Lord Carrington as Lord Great Chamberlain, and he is clearly holding a different staff, with a natural wood finish, rather than the previous white one. Or do the Cholmondeleys have a staff that they keep for whenever they hold the office?

colinp

Sep 26, 2022, 6:05:17 AM9/26/22
to Peerage News
Each chamberlain has their own staff or wand.  The Treasurer, Vice-Chamberlain and Comptroller of HM Household also carry wands - they could be seen holding their wands and walking in the late Queen's funeral procession.  They are three of the senior Government Whips in the House of Commons