Announcement - Panoramio, Views and Google Maps

jamesgtherrien

Jun 2, 2015, 12:01:52 PM6/2/15
to panoramio-que...@googlegroups.com

Among Google’s geo-imagery efforts, we strive to balance what makes sense for you, the pro or enthusiast photographer, with the needs of consumers. Achieving this balance can be a challenge, especially when publishing tools are managed under separate products, such as Panoramio, Views, Google+ and Google Maps.

So today, after listening to community feedback about the future of the platform, we’re pleased to let you know that there won’t be any immediate changes to Panoramio. Instead of aligning the community with Views, we’ve gone back to the drawing board to work on a more integrated solution that supports you and your content directly within Google Maps.

We’ll be taking the necessary time to get this right as we build a solution that strives to meet the majority of your needs. Thanks for your input, and for your patience in the year ahead.

James Therrien
Google, Inc.

Stephen SteveT

Jun 2, 2015, 12:03:08 PM6/2/15
to panoramio-que...@googlegroups.com
THANK YOU!

Tomas K☼h☼ut

Jun 2, 2015, 12:16:21 PM6/2/15
to panoramio-que...@googlegroups.com
Thanks James for info!

P.S. sorry, I've extended your topic caption to make more clear the importance of your post. Hope you are fine with it.

Draken

Jun 2, 2015, 12:17:16 PM6/2/15
to panoramio-que...@googlegroups.com
I hope this is good news. It would be a pity to lose so strong a photo community such as Panoramio. Make it better, make it bigger but don't close it!

© Tom Cooper

Jun 2, 2015, 12:22:18 PM6/2/15
to panoramio-que...@googlegroups.com
All: Because the account has no photos, I had some doubts about the source of this message.  However, I recall seeing James Therrien speak at the 2011 Google Geo Users Summit, so unless the profile photo is stolen, this came from the real James Therrien, who has been a key figure in Google's Geo products (which includes Panoramio) for at least 4 years.

I am encouraged by this news.  Thank you.

Tom Cooper

Draken

Jun 2, 2015, 12:28:10 PM6/2/15
to panoramio-que...@googlegroups.com
I have already translated the message for the Spanish-speaking community in the Spanish forum. I have also emailed Eduardo with the news.

Pierre M.

Jun 2, 2015, 12:34:11 PM6/2/15
to panoramio-que...@googlegroups.com
Thks a lot for the news , James

Pierre

hvbemmel

Jun 2, 2015, 12:36:25 PM6/2/15
to panoramio-que...@googlegroups.com
Great James, We keep our fingers crossed! Thanks

Draken

Jun 2, 2015, 12:41:51 PM6/2/15
to panoramio-que...@googlegroups.com
Ladies & Gentlemen:

On 29/9/2014 James Therrien used another account: https://ssl.panoramio.com/user/4455196 here:

So, is this real or fake?

Does Therrien have two accounts?

Will51

Jun 2, 2015, 12:54:17 PM6/2/15
to panoramio-que...@googlegroups.com

obviously,  this is not a recent account !

hvbemmel

Jun 2, 2015, 12:57:55 PM6/2/15
to panoramio-que...@googlegroups.com
The G+ link ends on https://plus.google.com/u/0/+JamesTherrienboulder/posts where Gerard is one of the followers although his profile says he worked for Google I suppose it's legit

jgtherrien

Jun 2, 2015, 1:16:24 PM6/2/15
to panoramio-que...@googlegroups.com
Hi, folks, just a quick note.  I am James Therrien.  I've worked at Google for nine years.  Posting this from an account you may know better.  The good news is true.  You can find similar messages going out on the Google Maps Forum.  Thanks, James.

Draken

Jun 2, 2015, 1:31:22 PM6/2/15
to panoramio-que...@googlegroups.com
Thank you, James. And sorry for the doubts. We have had people impersonating others in the past (trolls and the like).

Paunoramio

Jun 2, 2015, 2:20:15 PM6/2/15
to panoramio-que...@googlegroups.com
Good news!!

Daniela Brocca

Jun 2, 2015, 3:00:58 PM6/2/15
to panoramio-que...@googlegroups.com
At last a good new! Thanks , James

RoarX

Jun 2, 2015, 3:04:59 PM6/2/15
to panoramio-que...@googlegroups.com

Thank you for this great news!!!

Please make Panoramio a great product!

CGabi

Jun 2, 2015, 3:16:20 PM6/2/15
to panoramio-que...@googlegroups.com
At last! Good news!
Congratulations to all who believe in  Panoramio!
Thanks!

Matthew Walters

Jun 2, 2015, 3:19:26 PM6/2/15
to panoramio-que...@googlegroups.com
Thanks James.

Does a little 'happy dance'

Matthew

IPAAT

Jun 2, 2015, 3:51:32 PM6/2/15
to panoramio-que...@googlegroups.com

Vasily Badin

Jun 2, 2015, 3:52:10 PM6/2/15
to panoramio-que...@googlegroups.com
Good news!

IPAAT

Jun 2, 2015, 3:56:28 PM6/2/15
to panoramio-que...@googlegroups.com
And in any case, let a new team to get acquainted this list and the additions in the topic:

© Andre Speek

Jun 2, 2015, 4:55:26 PM6/2/15
to panoramio-que...@googlegroups.com
Thank you James... That is really good news for the many Panoramio enthusiasts... I can imagine that it was a tough task to make it happen, so a big shout out for all of the Googlers who strived to get to this point... ;-)

®mene

Jun 2, 2015, 4:59:04 PM6/2/15
to panoramio-que...@googlegroups.com
Sounds good. So let's hope this will really happen. Would be a great thing prevent that little forum from getting axed

Thx for that mesage :)

Hans Sterkendries

Jun 2, 2015, 7:56:16 PM6/2/15
to panoramio-que...@googlegroups.com
So glad Google has seen the light!!!!

Thank you for this wonderful news

Volkan YUKSEL

Jun 2, 2015, 10:40:48 PM6/2/15
to panoramio-que...@googlegroups.com
Wow, great news :) Thank you much James :)

This means a lot to us and all the dedicated users :)

hvbemmel

Jun 3, 2015, 12:06:34 AM6/3/15
to panoramio-que...@googlegroups.com
Anatoly, please read https://groups.google.com/d/msg/panoramio-misc/soTF9su_zpI/lGImcT_hLA8J. (for all users)
You can find an announcement from Adam about that too in the mods forum I will send you the link

junk0128

Jun 3, 2015, 12:26:14 AM6/3/15
to panoramio-que...@googlegroups.com
Thank you James. I am very glad! (*^^)v

2015年6月3日水曜日 1時01分52秒 UTC+9 jamesgtherrien:

Erhard Bernstein

Jun 3, 2015, 3:01:49 AM6/3/15
to panoramio-que...@googlegroups.com
Yes, good news indeed. And I agree with Draken: make it bigger, make it better. My addition: and be careful with any "awesome" and "exciting" (or shall I say::exiting) changes without regarding the actual needs of the community. There is a lot of bugs and flaws to fix and many once-gotten-used-to functions to be put back into operation.

Peter van Lom

Jun 3, 2015, 3:08:09 AM6/3/15
to panoramio-que...@googlegroups.com
This was a short, however uplifting message. For my part I will have to wait and see and hope for more good news.
I hope that the PA community will receive more information either by writing directly in this forum or by posting links directing us to the information.
In my opinion the communication between Google and the PA members was never satisfactory.
I would like to hear  more about the connection between PA and Google Earth as that is most interesting for many PA members.

franco benf

Jun 3, 2015, 4:10:15 AM6/3/15
to panoramio-que...@googlegroups.com
Many beautiful words, James , I think that if you care so much for panoramio, at least one photo, on your new account, you. could post :)

Stuart Smith

Jun 3, 2015, 6:42:13 AM6/3/15
to panoramio-que...@googlegroups.com
Absolutely brilliant news..... Panoramio & GE  forever!!! :)

CGabi

Jun 3, 2015, 8:10:21 AM6/3/15
to panoramio-que...@googlegroups.com

Panoramio & GE  forever!!!

My respect for  the all Panoramio members  who not left the wonderful ship PANORAMIO!

My respect for all moderators that do not left the beautiful ship PANORAMIO!

But not least:

My respect for ,,captain moderators,, the respectable Herman van Bemmel alias hvbemmel!

I wish you all a nice day!

Panoramio & GE pentru totdeauna!!!

Respectul meu pentru toti panoramistii care nu au parasit minunata corabie PANORAMIO!

Respectul meu pentru toti moderatorii care nu au parasit frumoasa  corabie PANORAMIO!

Dar nu in ultimul rand:

Respectul meu  pentru ,,capitanul moderatorilor’’, respectabilul Herman van Bemmel alias hvbemmel!

Tuturor o zi frumoasa va doresc!

Text in Romanian language for translation into your native language.

Text in limba romana pentru traducere in limba nativa.

Wim Constant

Jun 3, 2015, 11:06:16 AM6/3/15
to panoramio-que...@googlegroups.com
Hear, hear!
Well spoken!
Let's hope the ship will keep on sailin' for a very long time!

Op woensdag 3 juni 2015 14:10:21 UTC+2 schreef CGabi:

Panoramio & GE  forever!!!

My respect for  the all Panoramio members  who not left the wonderful ship PANORAMIO!

My respect for all moderators that do not left the beautiful ship PANORAMIO!

But not least:

My respect for ,,Captain moderators,, the respectable Herman van Bemmel alias hvbemmel!

I wish you all a nice day!

Panoramio & GE pentru totdeauna!!!

Respectul meu pentru toti panoramistii care nu au parasit minunata corabie PANORAMIO!

Respectul meu pentru toti moderatorii care nu au parasit frumoasa  corabie PANORAMIO!

Dar nu in ultimul rand:

Respectul meu  pentru ,,capitanul moderatorilor’’, respectabilul Herman van Bemmel alias hvbemmel!

Tuturor o zi frumoasa va doresc!

Text in Romanian language for translation into their native language.

Heidiho not going to VIEWS

Jun 3, 2015, 11:07:43 AM6/3/15
to panoramio-que...@googlegroups.com
I´m with Peter,
think it`s not enough, this declaration of J. Therrien.
A lot of Panoramios in the last months joined other communities - made the experience of very good TOOLS there.
Until now GOOGLE did NOTHING to  improve the system ... for example for GROUPs.
We will do, what always we have done: wait and drink tea ....

Baycrest

Jun 3, 2015, 11:33:02 AM6/3/15
to panoramio-que...@googlegroups.com
Good news! I hope the Google team will hear our voice when working on the new solution. At this stage I hope all the bugs that have been appeared for years will be fixed and photo layer in GE and GM will be updated frequently.

Nick Weall

Jun 3, 2015, 12:10:09 PM6/3/15
to panoramio-que...@googlegroups.com
Great news and I echo Cabi's words above :

Vassilis L.

Jun 3, 2015, 12:45:41 PM6/3/15
to panoramio-que...@googlegroups.com
This is good news!
Thanks Google!

c0l0gne1

Jun 3, 2015, 2:28:35 PM6/3/15
to panoramio-que...@googlegroups.com
This sounds like positive news- thank you for that.
However, I reserve judgment until we can see where this will lead to. As Heidi says there are other platforms where the tools offered make for a more enjoyable experience because they work - plus there are many functions Panoramio doesn't offer.
Panoramio's unique feature in the eyes of most users is the connection to GE - which is never once mentioned in the above post
.

millotaurus 1-NO VIEWS

Jun 3, 2015, 3:53:30 PM6/3/15
to panoramio-que...@googlegroups.com
Thanks James !

It looks like a first better...good news from  long time. And first comment from Google from several months :-)

I wish You - be smart and careful. You are working on a living organism, just Panoramio !

One more thing - please, do not forget, that Google Earth and our photos which appear there, is very important thing for all Panoramio users !

Message has been deleted

Małgorzata Kasiewicz

Jun 3, 2015, 4:24:34 PM6/3/15
to panoramio-que...@googlegroups.com
This is great news for such a long time waiting, thank you James

Lady GooGoo La La

Jun 3, 2015, 10:47:28 PM6/3/15
to panoramio-que...@googlegroups.com
Cautious optimism!

... work on a more integrated solution that supports you and your content directly within Google Maps

I read message to say, we postponed, the deprecation of Panoramio until we can find or create a new and different place to merge it into, but it will not continue to exist in its present form.

Lady GooGoo LaLa

hvbemmel

Jun 4, 2015, 12:44:46 AM6/4/15
to panoramio-que...@googlegroups.com
You know I'm an optimist Lady. We know that Panoramio works on an archaic technology, partly from 2005. There will be no way to keep it running that way, it was one of the few legitimate reasons to merge contents with an other application. Back to the drawing board means for me that they have to build Panoramio from scratch in a new technology. That this can have a positive and negative impact on the end result is clear to me.

As my views in GM went down to max 12 (on 5600+ photos) each day since classic GM doesn't work any more it can't get worse there.

I sincerely hope that Google itself starts communicating again so we can have a little bit more info on the general direction they're thinking of, old PA in a new jacket or a new application called Panoramio (or anything else, what's in a name).

dirkus49

Jun 4, 2015, 2:42:12 AM6/4/15
to panoramio-que...@googlegroups.com
Good on you James! You've made my day!

Andy Rodker

Jun 4, 2015, 4:11:06 AM6/4/15
to panoramio-que...@googlegroups.com
Excellent news! It quite cheered what had been a very bad few days!

Elios Amati (tashimelampo)

Jun 4, 2015, 4:22:38 AM6/4/15
to panoramio-que...@googlegroups.com

A great good news, Thank you !!!

pvlsorin

Jun 4, 2015, 7:15:57 AM6/4/15
to panoramio-que...@googlegroups.com

A great piece of news for even a greater community! Thank you, James!

CliveM

Jun 4, 2015, 8:34:28 AM6/4/15
to panoramio-que...@googlegroups.com
Thank you for the wonderful news. I hope this means that work on fixing bugs (e.g. no new photos on Panoramio Map for over 9 months) will resume.

tosa43

Jun 4, 2015, 9:18:49 AM6/4/15
to panoramio-que...@googlegroups.com
"7,422,862 followers | 913 431 631 Views" ...

How many follow facebook .... now more than before?

Google has made a mistake .... I think

Roger Powell

Jun 4, 2015, 9:47:08 AM6/4/15
to panoramio-que...@googlegroups.com
For what it's worth, Google has also announced that Google Views will go off line in August.

Rainer Warzecha

Jun 4, 2015, 10:38:14 AM6/4/15
to panoramio-que...@googlegroups.com
Wonderful Message!
Thanks for thinking it over!!
Message has been deleted

ewarwoowar

Jun 4, 2015, 6:07:59 PM6/4/15
to panoramio-que...@googlegroups.com
Terrific news, so pleased that the Panoramio community can continue - thanks for listening.

Nick Gent

Jun 4, 2015, 6:48:52 PM6/4/15
to panoramio-que...@googlegroups.com
Unexpected but excellent news, lets hope we can all look forward to a long future with Panoramio.

neil.gilmour

Jun 4, 2015, 7:28:28 PM6/4/15
to panoramio-que...@googlegroups.com
I have somewhat mixed feelings.  I started uploading photos to Views months ago and that site will be shut down shortly.  See  https://plus.google.com/+GoogleMaps/posts/D4ggyFZwJDe?hl=en-US

Diane - No Views

Jun 4, 2015, 8:56:16 PM6/4/15
to panoramio-que...@googlegroups.com
Great info, thanks, James!!!  As much as I like ipernity, 500px and even NatGeo Yourshots, there's just something about Panoramio...

Let's hope it's thought more workable than (Groups) Google Earth Community was thought to be. (Sorry, I have trust issues by now. I might not be the only one.  Just sayin')

df3vi

Jun 5, 2015, 1:07:42 AM6/5/15
to panoramio-que...@googlegroups.com
As I understand it, they will just drop the name "Views", but the product stays mainly the same thing, just gets a new look and feel - we had this, too...

Sixten Imgs

Jun 5, 2015, 3:16:35 AM6/5/15
to panoramio-que...@googlegroups.com
Well done, Tomas! And interesting news.

I would even add the text JUNE 2015 to every one of these newest "official announcement" titles.

So they would be more visible also to the other than the most heaviest Panoramio and forum users. Plus they would not seem just some old last decade's postings someone has commented lately.

Even better would be to forget these words "official" and "announcement" every time and write the actual, interesting message ( of joy, this time :) straight to the titles. I estimate there would be about 500 % more readers after that. And so: more Panoramio users in the future. I hope that is the idea inside the Google.

tiistai 2. kesäkuuta 2015 19.16.21 UTC+3 Tomas K☼h☼ut kirjoitti:
Thanks James for info!

P.S. sorry, I've extended your topic caption to make more clear the importance of your post. Hope you are fine with it.

© Ana García de Pablo

Jun 6, 2015, 1:46:08 AM6/6/15
to panoramio-que...@googlegroups.com
Great news! thanks, James!!!

Dust...

Jun 6, 2015, 6:58:23 AM6/6/15
to panoramio-que...@googlegroups.com
merci ! =)

© mimipet.com

Jun 6, 2015, 5:24:35 PM6/6/15
to panoramio-que...@googlegroups.com
One really good news James!
Thank you by all Bulgarians in Panoramio!
Message has been deleted

♥ Gabriele Müller ♥

Jun 6, 2015, 9:11:49 PM6/6/15
to panoramio-que...@googlegroups.com
https://plus.google.com/+GoogleMaps/posts/D4ggyFZwJDe?hl=de

Thank you for this good news! Welcome back Panoramio - Goodbye forever Views!

Melsen Felipe

Jun 6, 2015, 10:48:16 PM6/6/15

El martes, 2 de junio de 2015, 10:01:52 (UTC-6), jamesgtherrien escribió:

[...]

The nightmare is over, thank you very much

NO VIEWS Xacobeo4

Jun 6, 2015, 11:00:13 PM6/6/15
to panoramio-que...@googlegroups.com
Los Felicitos lo sabia lo presentia que Panoramio sobreviviria, Gracias a todos ustedes los moderadores, por mantener el barco a flote, y no abandonarnos

NO VIEWS Xacobeo4

Jun 6, 2015, 11:00:42 PM6/6/15
to panoramio-que...@googlegroups.com
I congratulate you all knew I sensed that survive Panoramio, Thank you all moderators, to keep the ship afloat, and not leave us, my sincere thanks to all Rebeca
Message has been deleted

hvbemmel

Jun 6, 2015, 11:48:27 PM6/6/15
to panoramio-que...@googlegroups.com