Recommendation for clear key caps for PAL-1 hex keypad?

瀏覽次數:50 次
跳到第一則未讀訊息

D Hassler

未讀,
2022年7月14日 晚上7:10:192022/7/14
收件者:PAL 6502 computer
Hi all.  Anyone have any recommendations?  I'd like to find something with a clear "top" so I can print out 1-9, A-F, etc., and put them under the 'tops.'

Thanks, Dave

Hans Van Slooten

未讀,
2022年7月14日 晚上7:14:192022/7/14
收件者:D Hassler、PAL 6502 computer
Hi Dave,

I don't, but I did try doing something similar with square caps and
failed to create something aesthetically pleasing. Keep in mind that
the buttons have a lot of "play" (they are able to rotate), so keeping
the buttons straight requires them to essentially be right next to
each other.

Hans V

On Thu, Jul 14, 2022 at 6:10 PM D Hassler <blueja...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi all. Anyone have any recommendations? I'd like to find something with a clear "top" so I can print out 1-9, A-F, etc., and put them under the 'tops.'
>
> Thanks, Dave
>
> --

GN L

未讀,
2022年7月14日 晚上11:32:032022/7/14
收件者:D Hassler、PAL 6502 computer
Maybe just some sort of round blank sticker with no "top". It's hard to find some keycaps for this type of switch...

> On Jul 15, 2022, at 7:10 AM, D Hassler <blueja...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Hi all. Anyone have any recommendations? I'd like to find something with a clear "top" so I can print out 1-9, A-F, etc., and put them under the 'tops.'
>
> Thanks, Dave
>
> --

Best,
Liu

Will Senn

未讀,
2022年7月17日 晚上10:40:012022/7/17
收件者:PAL 6502 computer
Dunno what happened to my original post, but here it is again, ignore if duplicated. Here's what I've come up with on the keypad front - it's a work in progress and just a proof of concept. I made a tiny triangle out of graph index card and wrote the numbers on it. I'll prolly laser print on paper/plastic, with proper spacing, for the final version.

IMG_3490.JPG

The numbers under the keys printed on the circuit board are a bit confusing to me for some reason, seems like they need to be on top, but even then, they're practically invisible. This brings them to visibility at least.

Will Senn

未讀,
2022年7月17日 晚上10:46:482022/7/17
收件者:PAL 6502 computer
Actually, as I posted this, I thought of an even better approach - going back to the old-style phones keypad - draw a stencil in omni graffle, with the numbers on it that fits over the keypad, but lets the keys through. A quick check found a hole-punch to be just the right size for the buttons to come through. Off to seeing how hard that is to create :).

Will Senn

未讀,
2022年7月17日 晚上11:05:332022/7/17
收件者:PAL 6502 computer
OK. Very HARD :). I'll prolly just do vertical bars on the left and right and horizonal bars between.

Will Senn

未讀,
2022年7月17日 晚上11:48:052022/7/17
收件者:PAL 6502 computer
Version 2. This is actually workable...

I just need to get the right size marked for the cuts (I fudged on this one, and I may go ahead and cut vertical bars, too), get it to print the numbers, instead of hand writing them, print it on card stock and I think that'll be good enough for me. But, it turned out better than I thought. Definitiely reminds me of the old touch tone templates :).

pal-1-keypad-2.JPG

Will Senn

未讀,
2022年7月18日 凌晨12:27:372022/7/18
收件者:PAL 6502 computer
Version 3 :)

pal-1-keypad-3.JPG

GN L

未讀,
2022年7月18日 晚上8:58:432022/7/18
收件者:Will Senn、PAL 6502 computer
Brilliant!

> On Jul 18, 2022, at 12:27 PM, Will Senn <will...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Version 3 :)
>
> <pal-1-keypad-3.JPG>
>
> On Sunday, July 17, 2022 at 10:48:05 PM UTC-5 Will Senn wrote:
> Version 2. This is actually workable...
>
> I just need to get the right size marked for the cuts (I fudged on this one, and I may go ahead and cut vertical bars, too), get it to print the numbers, instead of hand writing them, print it on card stock and I think that'll be good enough for me. But, it turned out better than I thought. Definitiely reminds me of the old touch tone templates :).
>

> On Sunday, July 17, 2022 at 10:05:33 PM UTC-5 Will Senn wrote:
> OK. Very HARD :). I'll prolly just do vertical bars on the left and right and horizonal bars between.
> On Sunday, July 17, 2022 at 9:46:48 PM UTC-5 Will Senn wrote:
> Actually, as I posted this, I thought of an even better approach - going back to the old-style phones keypad - draw a stencil in omni graffle, with the numbers on it that fits over the keypad, but lets the keys through. A quick check found a hole-punch to be just the right size for the buttons to come through. Off to seeing how hard that is to create :).
>
> On Sunday, July 17, 2022 at 9:40:01 PM UTC-5 Will Senn wrote:
> Dunno what happened to my original post, but here it is again, ignore if duplicated. Here's what I've come up with on the keypad front - it's a work in progress and just a proof of concept. I made a tiny triangle out of graph index card and wrote the numbers on it. I'll prolly laser print on paper/plastic, with proper spacing, for the final version.
>

> The numbers under the keys printed on the circuit board are a bit confusing to me for some reason, seems like they need to be on top, but even then, they're practically invisible. This brings them to visibility at least.
>
> On Thursday, July 14, 2022 at 10:32:03 PM UTC-5 liuga...@gmail.com wrote:
> Maybe just some sort of round blank sticker with no "top". It's hard to find some keycaps for this type of switch...
>
> > On Jul 15, 2022, at 7:10 AM, D Hassler <blueja...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > Hi all. Anyone have any recommendations? I'd like to find something with a clear "top" so I can print out 1-9, A-F, etc., and put them under the 'tops.'
> >
> > Thanks, Dave
> >
> > --
>
> Best,
> Liu
>

> --
> <pal-1-keypad-3.JPG>

Best,
Liu

Will Senn

未讀,
2022年7月18日 晚上9:39:232022/7/18
收件者:GN L、PAL 6502 computer
Thanks, Liu. Not sure if I like the numbers at the top or not, but here's version 5, which fits better than the prior version. It can be printed at 100% and should be the correct size for the keypad, but I'm not a graphics expert, so I don't know for sure. I just cut it out with an exacto knife and it drops on easy peasy. Suggestions for improvements on the layout welcome! I think the letters/numbers may be too close to the keys above and will try a version with them closer to the keys below - weird how it affects the mind :).

Will
pal-1-keypad-stencil-v5.png

GN L

未讀,
2022年7月18日 晚上9:48:562022/7/18
收件者:Will Senn、PAL 6502 computer
Hi Will,

Thanks for the printable file! Very simple and useful.

The legend below the key is not a user friendly design…

> On Jul 19, 2022, at 9:39 AM, Will Senn <will...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> <pal-1-keypad-stencil-v5.png>

Best,
Liu

Will Senn

未讀,
2022年7月18日 晚上10:47:072022/7/18
收件者:GN L、PAL 6502 computer
Sure. Here's the other version - with lower lettering (closer to the keys they belong too). I can't make up my mind, but I think I like this version better. Only drawback is the viewing angle, if the PAL-1's too far up on the desk, it's harder to read, but I don't seem to make as many mistakes keying in with this version (teach me to look when I key...).

Later,

Will
pal-1-keypad-stencil-v5a.png

Michael Doornbos

未讀,
2022年7月19日 清晨6:52:462022/7/19
收件者:GN L、Will Senn、PAL 6502 computer
Printed on card stock, this is actually quite a good solution. Good work ;)

--
Michael Doornbos
Imapenguin.com
On Jul 18, 2022, 22:47 -0400, Will Senn <will...@gmail.com>, wrote:
Sure. Here's the other version - with lower lettering (closer to the keys they belong too). I can't make up my mind, but I think I like this version better. Only drawback is the viewing angle, if the PAL-1's too far up on the desk, it's harder to read, but I don't seem to make as many mistakes keying in with this version (teach me to look when I key...).

Later,

Will
<pal-1-keypad-stencil-v5a.png>

On 7/18/22 8:48 PM, GN L wrote:

Will Senn

未讀,
2022年7月25日 上午11:42:362022/7/25
收件者:PAL 6502 computer
I printed on white and then offwhite/beige, the offwhite seemed to work better. I just realized I uploaded a low-res version. Here's the

pal-1-keypad-stencil-v5a.png

(much) higher res version.

-Will
pal-1-keypad-stencil-v5a.png