Re: Another candidate for a bad English predatory spam award

David Wojick

Aug 5, 2022, 3:12:40 PM8/5/22
to Williams Nwagwu, Simon Linacre, Michael Clarke, Glenn Hampson, osi20...@googlegroups.com
Good point, Williams, especially since a lot of the so-called predatory journals specialize in publishing not-very-good-English articles that the so-called legitimate journals seemingly would not publish simply because the English was not very good. Good English should not be a requirement for scientific communication, but it is for many journals.

On the other hand, if selling to an American it is best to speak the language.

David

On Aug 5, 2022, at 10:07 AM, Williams Nwagwu <will...@yahoo.com> wrote:

I wish to someday be able to assess research publications based on how competent researchers are in using my own mother tongue IGBO. I would then be able to say bad Igbo language predatory journal when people mix up the complexities in the language. I do not support dubious publishing, and I do not publish in such sources, but compelling researchers to use a language they probably got exposed to in the middle of their careers is not open access at all.

I am Williams Nwagwu
On Wednesday, August 3, 2022, 03:07:23 PM PDT, David Wojick <dwo...@craigellachie.us> wrote:

I am simply making a point about language, not my language, that of the research community. Concept analysis is my field.

David

On Aug 3, 2022, at 5:05 PM, Simon Linacre <slin...@gmail.com> wrote:

 If that’s so, you (and the dodgy journal) have used language to appropriate meaning by using caps for JIF.

The point is, the JIF has meaning and definition as it’s calculated from WoS-indexed journals - to create a proxy from a different data set may help publishers, but even they wouldn’t call it a JIF (or jif for that matter).

Sent from my iPhone

On 3 Aug 2022, at 21:39, David Wojick <dwo...@craigellachie.us> wrote:

 The JIF is proprietary but the jif is not. That is, the term "impact factor" or IF has become an ordinary language concept that refers to a specific calculation, not to a specific product. In fact I suspect most of the researchers using the term are unaware of the product. As I said before, we can even ask whose data gives the most accurate estimate of impact factors.

I am reminded of our discussions of the term "open access" where people argue that their specialized technical concept is the definition of the widely used ordinary language term. It is not. Language has its own way of going, if you like.

David

On Aug 3, 2022, at 4:08 PM, Michael Clarke <mtcl...@gmail.com> wrote:

Glenn is correct. It is not possible to have a self-calculated journal impact factor. To calculate the JIF you need the specific Clarivate index (SCIE or SSCI). You could use another index (CrossRef, Dimensions) to source your citations and make a two year average but that is not a JIF, it is just an average. The JIF calculation is dependent on a proprietary index.

Note: the above is not an endorsement of the JIF just an explanation.

On Aug 2, 2022, at 6:02 PM, Glenn Hampson <gham...@nationalscience.org> wrote:

 Not sure that’s true either because Clarivate uses one dataset for all calculations—self-counts may not be accurate—but I defer to the publishing experts here. In any event, as Lisa just tweeted (https://twitter.com/lisalibrarian/status/1554071262246445057?s=21&t=QkzZrRaoqoMNFnDQLyliLA) this focus on JIFs was supposed to disappear in the OA age. Hardly.

Sent from my iPhone

On Aug 2, 2022, at 5:04 PM, David Wojick <dwo...@craigellachie.us> wrote:

 It may be a trademark violation but it can still be accurate.

David

On Aug 2, 2022, at 7:29 PM, Glenn Hampson <gham...@nationalscience.org> wrote:

Well, technically, no. The Journal Impact Factor is a trademarked product that is owned and operated by Clarivate. There are no personal impact factors (well, there are, but they aren’t official JIFs). Also, onlyjournals listed in the Science Citation Index Expanded (SCIE) and the Social Sciences Citation Index (SSCI) receive an Impact Factor from Clarivate. So, if a journal is making one up, they aren’t listed. Which isn’t at all to say they’re predatory---just that they’re too new, too small, or too insignificant (relatively speaking) to merit having an “actual” JIF. It’s a wildly abused and misused metric that we’ve complained about forever, but it doesn’t appear to be going anywhere soon.

On 2022-08-01 16:25, David Wojick wrote:

 Maybe not as bad as the last one. Runner up?

David

Begin forwarded message:

From: Biostatistics and Biometrics Open Access Journal <bios...@juniper-publisher.org>
Date: August 1, 2022 at 9:08:29 AM AST
To: "dwo...@craigellachie.us" <dwo...@Craigellachie.us>
Subject: Your Transcript

Dear Dr. David Wojick,

I am sure you're quite busy, but I would appreciate if you could take a moment to my below request.

Well, our Biostatistics and Biometrics Open Access Journal(BBOAJ) is scheduled to release its Upcoming issue, but we are in deficit of one article so is it possible for you to support us with any of your manuscript to achieve this goal?

Appreciate if you could provide your acknowledgment within 24 hrs.

Await your submission.

Regards,
Ruby Simmons
Assistant Managing Editor, Biostatistics and Biometrics Open Access Journal (BBOAJ)
ISSN: 2573-2633 |Impact Factor:0.883
Phone:+1-805-200-4030 |Fax:1-855-420-6872
www.juniperpublishers.com|bios...@juniperpublishers.com

3700 Park View Ln #12B, Irvine, CA 92612, USA
*If you do not wish to receive further emails from us please email us.

--
As a public and publicly-funded effort, the conversations on this list can be viewed by the public and are archived. To read this group's complete listserv policy (including disclaimer and reuse information), please visithttp://osinitiative.org/osi-listservs.
---

--
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/osi2016-25/2CD5ACCE-F9D4-4AF6-8477-C9257D8D522E%40craigellachie.us.

--