RE: [OPENCAFE-L] European Policy Shifts

Glenn Hampson

Mar 5, 2024, 12:13:54 PMMar 5
to Rick Anderson, OPENC...@listserv.byu.edu, osi20...@googlegroups.com

Indeed, a lot of a the disagreement in this space over the last 20+ years has stemmed from unclear vocabulary. Do you support open? Sure! If by “open” you mean this and that, but not the other thing. Do you support reusability (CC-BY)? Absolutely, but maybe not the kind where I lose control of my work, so sign me up for CC-BY-NC-ND instead—or heck, is there something called “copyright” I can use? How about embargos? Sure---let’s drop ‘em, unless my work is tied up in patents, or clinical trials, or humanities…. Is publishing a business? Sure---in the sense that it needs to be run like a commercial entity (another rabbit hole) so it’s sustainable (quicksand), but not too profitable (more judgements). The miasma of options and side effects has also been difficult to wade through. What about green, gold, hybrid, and diamond (all with their pros and cons)? What about non-journal options? Unintended consequences (to whom)? Predatory journals (not to everyone)? Peer review (whose version)? IP theft (heroic to some)? Impact evaluation (which governments and publishers love)? Long-term vision (whose vision)? And so on.

To me, anyway, vocabulary and miasma have made combatants out of colleagues. We spend so much time defending our definitions and positions that we lose sight of our common goals and common ground.

From: OpenCafe-l <OPENC...@LISTSERV.BYU.EDU> on behalf of Hugh Jarvis <hja...@GMAIL.COM>
Date: Tuesday, March 5, 2024 at 9:21 AM
To: "OPENC...@LISTSERV.BYU.EDU" <OPENC...@LISTSERV.BYU.EDU>

This is an interesting philosophical angle to discuss.  I suspect we have a nice audience here.

Can anyone provide an example of a publication or scholarly endeavor that is not "entangled" by "commercial imperatives" of some form..?

I've produced "zero budget" publications myself... but only because my university subsidized the platform they were on and I contributed my labor (which was underwritten by my day job).  And when these volunteer projects encroached on my job, or the university cut their support, I was forced to cut them back.

Artists and scholars historically have been endowed in some manner, by a benefactor, grant, independent wealth..., but I don't believe that means they were independent of any commercial imperatives.

Certainly it is possible to minimize these imperatives to allow as much scholarly freedom as possible, but I believe there is always a bottom line.

I'm not attacking Jean-Claude here.  I support their idealism, but not sure it is a reality.

Best,

Hugh Jarvis

University at Buffalo

Date:    Tue, 5 Mar 2024 05:47:06 -0500

From:    Jean-Claude Guédon <jean.clau...@UMONTREAL.CA>

Subject: Re: European Policy Shifts

Toby,

I was not responding to the journal issue. In fact, I have the feeling we largely agree on this topic. What I was objecting to was the claim that you succeeded (whatever that meant) because you followed a commercial framework. I continue to believe that entangling commercial imperatives with knowledge production and dissemination generates too many negative distortions in the knowledge-producing processes.

Jean-Claude

On 2024-03-04 07:48, Toby Green (He - Him) wrote:

> Jean-Claude,

> I don’t think anecdotes can ever be established law ;-).But there are

> ~30,000 ‘anecdotes’ in Policy Commons, demonstrating that research and

> knowledge can be shared - at scale - without journals.

<snip...>

Access the OPENCAFE-L Home Page and Archives

Access the OPENCAFE-L Home Page and Archives

David Wojick

Mar 5, 2024, 1:24:25 PMMar 5
to Glenn Hampson, Rick Anderson, OPENC...@listserv.byu.edu, osi20...@googlegroups.com
Unfortunately I think it is rather the opposite. Reform movements like open are typically based on vague concepts which support agreement among diverse positions. When the movement succeeds to the point of implementation, as open has, these deep differences surface. But the common ground is still there, as you say. What to do about the differences is the hard part.

David

On Mar 5, 2024, at 1:13 PM, Glenn Hampson <gham...@nationalscience.org> wrote:

--
As a public and publicly-funded effort, the conversations on this list can be viewed by the public and are archived. To read this group's complete listserv policy (including disclaimer and reuse information), please visit https://groups.google.com/g/osi2016-25.
---

Glenn Hampson

Mar 5, 2024, 3:02:41 PMMar 5
to David Wojick, Rick Anderson, OPENC...@listserv.byu.edu, osi20...@googlegroups.com

Hi David,

This is an interesting argument, if you assume the open movement has succeeded. Many say it has not.

Best,

Glenn

David Wojick

Mar 5, 2024, 3:39:06 PMMar 5
to Glenn Hampson, Rick Anderson, OPENC...@listserv.byu.edu, osi20...@googlegroups.com
It has succeeded to the point where detailed policies are being enacted. That is when the collective differences emerge.

David

Sent from my iPad

Glenn Hampson

Mar 5, 2024, 4:27:41 PMMar 5
to David Wojick, OPENC...@listserv.byu.edu, osi20...@googlegroups.com

But David, surely the mere existence of policies doesn’t mean problems are actually being solved, right? At the local, state, national and international levels, we routinely create mountains of policies that don’t work---on climate change, education, food security, gun control, you name it. Kudos for trying, but policy isn’t always synonymous with solution.

Still, I think you’ve highlighted yet another rift: the fact that some people think we’re on the right track with our open reform policies, others think we aren’t (and variations on this theme).

Best regards,

David Wojick

Mar 5, 2024, 4:28:21 PMMar 5
to Glenn Hampson, Rick Anderson, OPENC...@listserv.byu.edu, osi20...@googlegroups.com
If you want to pursue common ground you need to stay away from specific policies. Rise above them.

David

On Mar 5, 2024, at 5:38 PM, David Wojick <dwo...@craigellachie.us> wrote:

It has succeeded to the point where detailed policies are being enacted. That is when the collective differences emerge.

Glenn Hampson

Mar 5, 2024, 4:33:05 PMMar 5
to David Wojick, OPENC...@listserv.byu.edu, osi20...@googlegroups.com

Voila: OSI’s 7 pillars | The Science Communication Institute. Suggestions welcome (direct to me to avoid clogging up the list).