Possible to convert existing application created using any language to an OpenSocial gadget?

Jaggie

Jan 23, 2011, 8:56:56 PM1/23/11
to OpenSocial Application Development
Hi There,

If I have a web-based application which runs on Silverlight, is it
possible to convert that application to a OpenSocial gadget?

Thanks.

Robson Dantas

Jan 26, 2011, 8:29:09 AM1/26/11
to opensoc...@googlegroups.com
If you embed our app into an iframe or using proxied content, you can re-use the same app, but you will lose some social features. It is also good to mention that your users inside the social network might not have silverlight plugin installed, and will reduce your target.

Robson Dantas
@robsondantas

Jaggie

Jan 26, 2011, 4:37:21 PM1/26/11
to OpenSocial Application Development
Thanks for your reply, Robson.
Can you explain what sort of social features I will loose by doing so?
I am using an iFrame to embed the Silverlight-based app, users of my
social network will not be able to run the app without installing
Silverlight-plugin?

Another thing, Yahoo Application Platform allows developers to create
their applications using language of their choice, such as Python,
Java, or PHP (refer http://developer.yahoo.com/yap/guide/prog-model.html).
Can we achieve the same with OpenSocial?

Thanks.

On Jan 27, 2:29 am, Robson Dantas <biu.dan...@gmail.com> wrote:
> If you embed our app into an iframe or using proxied content, you can re-use
> the same app, but you will lose some social features. It is also good to
> mention that your users inside the social network might not have silverlight
> plugin installed, and will reduce your target.
>
> Robson Dantas
> @robsondantas
>
> 2011/1/23 Jaggie <jaspalj...@gmail.com>
>

> > Hi There,
>
> > If I have a web-based application which runs on Silverlight, is it
> > possible to convert that application to a OpenSocial gadget?
>
> > Thanks.
>
> > --
> > .

Robson Dantas

Jan 26, 2011, 6:51:04 PM1/26/11
to opensoc...@googlegroups.com
Just to clarify some things:

Being really simple and generic, opensocial is basically html, javascript, and css defined into a xml file. It means that everything you do inside a normal html file, you can do using opensocial. But in order to allow you having access to social features - e.g listing friends - you have a javascript api which allows you to do that.

Using iframes, will block you from using opensocial apis, because you will get some cross site scripting problems. Another solution is using proxied content, where the server will fetch your website, cache, and serve to the user.

Now, answering your question, your app will be the same on your website, or on any social network and if the user doesnt have the Silverlight plugin installed, will not work - and it´s the same for flash.

I wrote sometime ago a sample which i use to test things on orkut, if you wanna take a look here it is: http://www.opensocial-br.org/exemplo/opensocialbr.xml .

Let me know if you have any doubt.

Robson Dantas
@robsondantas

Jaspaljeet Singh

Jan 26, 2011, 9:16:58 PM1/26/11
to opensoc...@googlegroups.com
Hi Robson,

Thanks so much for the clarification. Now it is clear!

You mention about using proxied content, where the server will fetch the website, cache, and serve to the user. I guess this will enable developers to embed their applications created in language of their choice. Any tips on how this can be done?

Thank you.

Robson Dantas

Jan 27, 2011, 12:56:44 PM1/27/11
to opensoc...@googlegroups.com
Yep, see:

Hope it helps.

Robson Dantas
@robsondantas

Jaspaljeet Singh

Jan 27, 2011, 6:19:27 PM1/27/11
to opensoc...@googlegroups.com
Thank you, Robson. It was really helpful!

Cheers,
Jaspaljeet