Can't get OpenRefine to install (Windows)

Elisa

Dec 1, 2021, 5:52:51 AM12/1/21
to OpenRefine
Hi there,

I am trying to install the most recent version of OpenRefine for Windows but installing does not work. I first tried to install the Windows kit that included Java - this did not work. I then tried installing Java JRE and the Java version from OpenJDK and then installing the Windows kit without Java - this also did not work.
What's going on?

I followed the instructions on the downloading page but I kept getting the error as described in the FAQ: "OpenRefine does not start after clicking the .exe, it only opens and closes a window" (but the remedy did not work).
What can I do to work this issue out?

Thanks!
Elisa

Elle O'Neill

Dec 1, 2021, 7:51:53 PM12/1/21
to OpenRefine
i also can't get openrefine to work, i'm getting the error "OpenRefine starts and opens my browser, but I only see the OpenRefine logo"

i tried installing both windows options, currently trying the version with java included, and whenever i run the .exe this happens:

log4j:WARN No appenders could be found for logger (org.eclipse.jetty.util.log).
SLF4J: Class path contains multiple SLF4J bindings.
SLF4J: Found binding in [jar:file:/C:/Program%20Files%20(x86)/openrefine-win-with-java-3.5.0/openrefine-3.5.0/webapp/WEB-INF/lib/slf4j-log4j12-1.7.30.jar!/org/slf4j/impl/StaticLoggerBinder.class]
SLF4J: Found binding in [jar:file:/C:/Program%20Files%20(x86)/openrefine-win-with-java-3.5.0/openrefine-3.5.0/server/target/lib/slf4j-log4j12-1.7.30.jar!/org/slf4j/impl/StaticLoggerBinder.class]
SLF4J: Actual binding is of type [org.slf4j.impl.Log4jLoggerFactory]

and i don't understand enough about the program or about running commands to figure out how to fix it. i tried visiting the apache link but it didn't make things any clearer. if there's a very simple guide written for simple beginners about how to fix this (i'm talking big diagrams with 'click here to enter this specific text' sort of thing) that would be great :)

Elle O'Neill

Dec 1, 2021, 8:18:04 PM12/1/21
to OpenRefine
after some more googling, it seems like java 16 and 17 don't work with open refine https://github.com/OpenRefine/OpenRefine/issues/4106

i've been using java 17 for another program and i'd like to avoid stuffing around with removing 17 and installing 14, is there another option available here?

jonathan...@gmail.com

Dec 2, 2021, 7:54:15 AM12/2/21
to openr...@googlegroups.com

Hi Elisa

It may be that you have a virus checker which sees openrefine opening a new tab in your browser as a browser hijack attempt: if so, you would need to give openrefine the rights to open a new tab. (I had this problem some years ago and the error messages were misleading)

Jonathan Stoneman

Elisa

Dec 2, 2021, 8:12:33 AM12/2/21
to OpenRefine
Hi all,

I think I've managed - for some reason, my computer hadn't unwrapped the package properly. Thanks for your help!

@Ellie, might it be worthwhile to download the package with the embedded open source java version?

Thanks!
Elisa

RICARDO LEON GOMEZ YEPES

Dec 2, 2021, 8:15:54 AM12/2/21
to openr...@googlegroups.com
Elisa, hi

I was having the same problem with Windows.I found the solution in this thread https://groups.google.com/g/openrefine/c/d_nVInGq_XM?pli=1 (copied below)

Hi George,

I think this is due to an OpenRefine extension that you have installed in the AppData folder for OpenRefine, which is also where the workspace is defaulted under and holds your projects folders and files.
So... we don't want to risk losing your projects when deleting the OpenRefine extension to fix things...so let's do these steps in order:

1. Backup the OpenRefine folder under your AppData folder.  (use Zip or whatever archive tool like 7z that you have on Windows and then move this .zip file to a safe location or additionally uploaded to the cloud somewhere)
2. Delete the OpenRefine folder under your AppData folder.
3. Start OpenRefine, which will recreate the folder and workspace folder within it.
4. Report back any good news, then we can take next steps (which will be to selectively move your project folders back into place from your saved .zip backup file)

You can find your AppData folder in the Roaming folder in your C drive. The path for my folder is C:\Users\Y530\AppData\Roaming Yours should be similar

Hope this helps

Ricardo L. Gómez, Ph.D.
Métodos Cuantitativos en Investigación y Evaluación
Facultad de Educación
rleon...@udea.edu.co
+57(4)219-2330

"La información aquí contenida es para uso exclusivo de la persona o entidad de destino. Está estrictamente prohibida su utilización, copia, descarga, distribución, modificación y/o reproducción total o parcial, sin el permiso expreso de Universidad de Antioquia, pues su contenido puede ser de carácter confidencial y/o contener material privilegiado. Si usted recibió esta información por error, por favor contacte en forma inmediata a quien la envió y borre este material de su computador. Universidad de Antioquia no es responsable por la información contenida en esta comunicación, el directo responsable es quien la firma o el autor de la misma."
UdeA