OpenQuake vs HAZUS fragility models & costs

johanna pollet

Jun 17, 2021, 11:48:55 AM6/17/21
to OpenQuake Users

Hello all,

I am new to OpenQuake and trying to run my first Seismic Risk analysis with the software. I am part of a team that used to do these analyses with HAZUS and is now transitioning to OpenQuake. I am slowly discovering the similarities but mostly the differences between the two software, and have a few questions.

Regarding the fragility models:

  • There are many fragility curves readily available on the OpenQuake website, among which are HAZUS curves for the different building types and levels of code for structural components. I am wondering if similar curves have been developed in OpenQuake for non-structural components and building contents?
  • To describe those curves, the parameters given in OpenQuake are the mean and standard deviation while HAZUS uses the median and beta (which is also the lognormal standard deviation). For the HAZUS curves given in OpenQuake, I am wondering how the conversion from 1 parameter (median & beta) to the other (mean, stdev) was done?

Regarding the replacement costs of buildings:

  • HAZUS has a way of computing the structural and non-structural replacement costs given the total costs of a building. Since OpenQuake needs to directly be given the structural & non-structural costs (separately) in the exposure model, has a similar tool or methodology been developed to compute them in OpenQuake?

Thank you for taking the time.

Johanna.

anirudh.rao

Jun 22, 2021, 3:54:55 AM6/22/21
to OpenQuake Users
Hello Johanna,

Please refer to the page at https://www.globalquakemodel.org/product/conterminous-usa-model for vulnerability functions for the HAZUS building types and levels of code for structural components, non-structural components, and building contents. Fragility functions separated by component are not available via this model release.

For the fragility function parameter definitions, please refer to the previous discussion on the same topic: https://groups.google.com/g/openquake-users/c/Ia9uwXMw_Zw/m/rkuNZ55XBwAJ

Since exposure models are a user-provided input for OpenQuake, the methodology for deriving component costs is up to the exposure modeller. The OpenQuake engine itself does not have any set criteria for splitting the total building costs into individual components.

Best regards,
Anirudh

UWIDUHAYE Jean d'Amour

Jun 23, 2021, 3:01:08 AM6/23/21
to openqua...@googlegroups.com
Dear Team,

Can anyone tell me about which factors/parameters to consider and different technologies/methodologies are used for seismic hazard monitoring?

Jean d'Amour U.

johanna pollet

Jun 23, 2021, 4:39:01 PM6/23/21
to OpenQuake Users