Nozzles with special Rotation Modes

ma...@makr.zone

Oct 10, 2021, 1:04:45 PM10/10/21
to OpenPnP
Hi all,

I made a new Pull Request with full "Instructions for use" to read for an impression:

  1. Support machines that have nozzles with restricted angular articulation, i.e. that cannot articulate the full 360°. Machines with a bit more than 180° (add the allowance for bottom vision alignment adjustments) are now supported. Even for machines with >= 360° articulation, but still limited range (e.g. tubing that is not free-running), the mode will reduce the angular movements to a minimum.
  2. Optimize the performance of shared rotation (C) axes machines: Parts are picked at angular offsets that make them pre-rotated for placement, i.e. all the nozzles are subsequently pre-rotated for alignment and placement at their shared 0° position. No large rotations are therefore needed for alignment and placement (only the small and fast adjustments from bottom vision alignment offsets). The more precise pre-rotate bottom vision is therefore available without performance penalty.
  3. If none of the above applies, there is still an optimization available that simply picks the part at whatever rotation the nozzle currently has. Alignment and placement are then rotated relative to that. This might speed up operation if multiple nozzles pick from the same feeder, or from feeders that are close together, i.e. where the move time between picks is not enough to rotate nozzles fast enough (e.g. in LED panel assembly).
And more... (see the link).
RotationMode.png

Unfortunately, at the moment, there is a hiccup in deploying new versions, so we can't provide the regular download. If somebody wants to go ahead with that version, I could provide a .jar file.

I will keep you posted.

_Mark

ma...@makr.zone

Oct 12, 2021, 4:25:07 PM10/12/21
to ope...@googlegroups.com

Hi all,

Thanks to Jason, the deployment issue was resolved. The nozzle Rotation Mode feature is now in the testing version.

Again, please read the "Instructions for use" in the Pull Request:

Download as always:

!! HELP WANTED NEEDED WITH TESTING !! 👍 💯

I cannot really test this on my machine, I have neither shared nor limited articulation machine.

_Mark

Mike Menci

Oct 13, 2021, 5:53:40 AM10/13/21
to OpenPnP
Hi Mark,
I will test this as soon I get Win10 beck running, update of Win 10 screwed up my workshop computer drastically :-(( , trying to get it running for 3rd day now.....
Mike

M. Mencinger

Oct 13, 2021, 9:46:40 AM10/13/21
to ope...@googlegroups.com
Hi Mark,
I tested this testing version and I get no rotation on C3 +C4 - see enclosures
Error-N3_N4.png
C3-C4 missing.png

Mike

You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "OpenPnP" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/openpnp/fa02e459-6e33-47c0-bb09-6ea7be91f434n%40googlegroups.com.

--
Mike

"--
 **************************************************************************************************************
This e-mail may be confidential and it may also be legally privileged. If you are not the addressee you may not copy, forward, disclose or use any part of it. If you have received this message in error, please delete it and all copies from your system and notify the sender immediately by return e-mail. Internet communications cannot be guaranteed to be timely, secure, error or virus-free. The sender does not accept liability for any errors or omissions.
 SAVE THE NATURE - SAVE PAPER - THINK BEFORE YOU PRINT!  "
TRACE_TEST_V1.txt
machine.xml

Shai

Oct 13, 2021, 1:58:53 PM10/13/21
to OpenPnP
Hi Mark,

1. Trying to test this right now and I can't seem to find the pre-rotate option. Where is it located? Can you please share a screenshot?
2. From my understanding of the PR, for the star machine, we'd need LimitedArticulation setting, is that correct?
3. I'm trying to replicate this error you show below in your PR but can't seem to receive it. I tried both rotating the nozzle and camera. I have LimitedArticulation set and soft limits set to minimum = 0 and high = 360. My nozzle reverses to the position when attempting to go past 360, so I assume that is why I can't get the error.
4. I will try to run a job, but do you need any specific tests done?

136702778-f7300cdb-c1bc-4b61-99ad-a63d2d9038ed.png

M. Mencinger

Oct 13, 2021, 2:57:07 PM10/13/21
to ope...@googlegroups.com
Hi Mark;
I got a bit further but now I&S window gets un error  and my Shultz feeders get serial://COM6 timeout waiting for response to M600N8
See enclosures.
Mike

Testing_V2_TRACE.txt
I&S -WindowError.png
machine.xml

ma...@makr.zone

Oct 14, 2021, 10:53:49 AM10/14/21
to ope...@googlegroups.com

Hi Mike,

you should follow my instructions carefully, step by step. You missed steps 6 and 7, here:

https://groups.google.com/g/openpnp/c/taXWhONJ6zY/m/LzV6rwKyAAAJ

_Mark

ma...@makr.zone

Oct 14, 2021, 11:29:35 AM10/14/21
to ope...@googlegroups.com

Hi Shai,

Re 1.

And on each part, make sure it is Default or AlwaysOn:

Re 2. and 3. :

You told me and we discussed earlier, that the machine can only articulate 200°, you even made a movie of the mechanical limits:

That's why I made (priorized) the whole PR. Now you say you have low = 0° , high = 360° ??? I don't get it. I really hope this is a misunderstanding!

The errors will of course only appear when your articulation (axis range) is < 360°.

Re 4.

Tests: Real-world job placement tests for many feeder angles and many placement angles. Both with and without alignment (bottom vision). But that only makes sense, when you have <360° articulation on the nozzle.

_Mark

M. Mencinger

Oct 14, 2021, 12:11:46 PM10/14/21
to ope...@googlegroups.com
Hi Mark,
Thanks for reply :  Yes I missed steps 6 and 7- But I do not understand how to do it!!
Mapped Axis to N3 (and N4) : like this:
image.png

Shai

Oct 14, 2021, 12:18:51 PM10/14/21
to OpenPnP
Hi Mark,

I am assuming you're not on the OpenPNP discord. I was able to figure out a solution to the 360 problem and posted an update about it to the discord server two weeks ago and as a result removed it from the feature list. See attached pictures. It's basically a slip ring design for the vacuum and the positive pressure tube + wires go through the motor shaft.

I did not know you were working on this PR as all you had mentioned was that it would be prioritized on your list. However, that's not to say this PR isn't helpful. It'd be much better to solve this issue with your PR instead of the new mechanical design I had come up with, because now we can go back to the original design where the tubes come out the sides of the fork and limit the articulation. The original design (versus this new design) is simpler and easier for people to build. The original design also doesn't twist the wires compared to this new design, so again, it is helpful to limit articulation back to 180 :) This PR definitely makes it better.

I'll test the PR this week and see how it works and report back here.

vac1.jpg
vac2.jpg

ma...@makr.zone

Oct 14, 2021, 12:38:52 PM10/14/21
to ope...@googlegroups.com

> Yes I missed steps 6 and 7- But I do not understand how to do it!!

If a step is unclear, it is always best to ask back, immediately 😉 It also helps me to formulate things more clearly, in the future. As you can imagine, quietly skipping two steps will almost never result in a working machine 🤨

> 6. Assign axis C1 to nozzle N3 (shared with N1)
> 7. Assign axis C2 to nozzle N4 (shared with N2)

What I mean is this:

https://github.com/openpnp/openpnp/wiki/Mapping-Axes

_Mark

ma...@makr.zone

Oct 14, 2021, 12:45:59 PM10/14/21
to ope...@googlegroups.com

Ah ok. Yes, I'm not on discord (I don't like it).

But I did tell you this in PM:

> On Aug 31, 2021, at 9:31 AM, ma...@makr.zone wrote:
> I will bump-up the angle limiting/pre-rotated pick on my TODO list.

_Mark

M. Mencinger

Oct 14, 2021, 1:46:50 PM10/14/21
to ope...@googlegroups.com
Hi Mark,
I solved with your help

> 6. Assign axis C1 to nozzle N3 (shared with N1)
> 7. Assign axis C2 to nozzle N4 (shared with N2)

I&S-Window.png

But now - I do not have  Up-Down motion on A axis = C3  & C4,   and no rotation on any of C1-C4 ?

Machine + trace enclosed

Please review and advise me.

Thanks

TRACE_14_10_at19_40pm.txt
machine.xml

ma...@makr.zone

Oct 14, 2021, 2:04:18 PM10/14/21
to ope...@googlegroups.com

What?

Please re-read all the steps and make sure they are all done right (axes and assigned letters).

https://groups.google.com/g/openpnp/c/taXWhONJ6zY/m/LzV6rwKyAAAJ

After you have done that: Press Find Issues & Solutions and do as it tells you (where it makes sense).

You need to delete the N1, N2, N3, N4 MOVE_TO_COMMAND (these are obsolete). Otherwise they will override the new good command.

Also accept the newly suggested commands.

Press Find Issues & Solutions again, until everything is resolved.

Unfortunately, I need to go now and will be away for a day 😕

_Mark

M. Mencinger

Oct 14, 2021, 2:18:36 PM10/14/21
to ope...@googlegroups.com
Hi Mark
Followed all steps:
image.png
Let me restart Open Pnp and see if something changes for the better !
Mike

M. Mencinger

Oct 14, 2021, 2:22:59 PM10/14/21
to ope...@googlegroups.com
Mark - seams OK - all motion is there. Have a good evening !
I will do some fine tuning now....
Mike

M. Mencinger

Oct 14, 2021, 2:35:59 PM10/14/21
to ope...@googlegroups.com
Mark - for info:
I can work with OpenPnP as it is - motions I have just this error pops up at end I&S:
FirmwareError-Window.png
Thanks
Mike

Mike Menci

Oct 20, 2021, 7:59:21 AM10/20/21
to OpenPnP
Hello Mark,
I did some more testing this week and it seams to me evrything with Axis is OK
1)  I do get in this testing version I&S following:

And Firmware error:
With respect to above I think this testing version works and can be released.

2) The second subject is placing of Parts to PCB location is not working for me.
When I use Jog I can locate all Fiducial & Job Parts with DownCamera - location is OK.
When I run the Job -parts are NOT placed to location on PCB but apx. 20-40 mm off which is strange!! and I could not find mistake !?
It might be something to do with my X-Y off-set ?? :
After Job - if I check locations with Down loking Camera - all is OK !!??  Why !?

Enclosed my machine and Trace file.
Please review Mark.
Thanking you in advance
Mike
Jog_Parts_OK.png
machine.xml
Job_trace.txt
Firmware-Window.png
HomingFiducial.png
I&S-Window.png

ma...@makr.zone

Oct 20, 2021, 8:56:39 AM10/20/21
to ope...@googlegroups.com

> 1)  I do get in this testing version I&S following:
> And Firmware error:
> With respect to above I think this testing version works and can be released.

I don't understand what you mean?

> 2) The second subject is placing of Parts to PCB location is not working for me.
> When I use Jog I can locate all Fiducial & Job Parts with DownCamera - location is OK.
> When I run the Job -parts are NOT placed to location on PCB but apx. 20-40 mm off which is strange!!

What happens when you position the nozzle to the part location?

Have you used Issues & Solutions to calibrate everything, especially the precise nozzle offsets?

https://youtu.be/md68n_J7uto?t=461

_Mark

Mike Menci

Oct 20, 2021, 11:35:13 AM10/20/21
to OpenPnP
Hi Mark,
1) enclosed I &S errors I still have and I can not solve:
I & S Error .png
2) I did some more testing and:
- Down Camera - fiducial and Part placent to PCB is working OK
- Picking up parts from feeders works OK first N1 than N2, N3 and N4
- All 4 nozzles arive to Up Camera in proper order N1, N2, N3, N4 and move down to Up looking Camera - parts are detected 1 by 1 -OK
- Head moves to PCB BUT HERE:
instead of Nozzle 1 going down - it moves UP (2nd nozzle moves down) ??
and than when Nozzle 3 should go down it moves UP ( and 4 nozzle moves down!) ??
this is why placement is not correct...
Axis N1-N4.png
Only at PCB placement instead of N1 going DOWN it go UP !! ??
and the same for N2 and N4 !!??
Where have I made mistake ? & what can be done Mark ?

Mike

Mike Menci

Oct 20, 2021, 11:36:38 AM10/20/21
to OpenPnP
For this " - Down Camera - fiducial and Part placent to PCB is working OK " I mean Manual Jog works properly.

ma...@makr.zone

Oct 20, 2021, 11:52:57 AM10/20/21
to ope...@googlegroups.com

Re 1):

Read the message in the Issues & Solutions Error, and use the blue button to jump to the Wiki. It should explain everything.

In short: you need to upgrade your Smoothieboard firmware to the special one I made to fix some bugs and add some feature that OpenPnP needs:

https://github.com/openpnp/openpnp/wiki/Motion-Controller-Firmwares#smoothieware

I think you already use my version for the mid-axis homing, but you probably need a newer one.

Re 2):

Just one idea what it could be:

Check the PCB Z.

It should have a negative coordinate.

Again, test with the Positioning button.

_Mark

Mike Menci

Oct 20, 2021, 11:55:01 AM10/20/21
to OpenPnP
Trace_.txt

Mike Menci

Oct 20, 2021, 11:59:38 AM10/20/21
to OpenPnP
Solved --- Yes minus was missing on PCB Z!!
Thanks

Mike Menci

Oct 27, 2021, 1:32:08 PM10/27/21
to ope...@googlegroups.com
Mark
Was this test version merged into latest stable version of OpenPnP?
Thanks
Mike

ma...@makr.zone

Oct 27, 2021, 1:36:32 PM10/27/21
to ope...@googlegroups.com

No, only in testing Version.

Shai

Nov 18, 2021, 10:29:11 PM11/18/21
to OpenPnP
Mark, just getting back into the swing of things testing this - sorry for the delay. I was wondering if there's a park position for this somewhere? Because I don't see it on the head panel anymore? Maybe I'm missing something here, but following this wiki page: https://github.com/openpnp/openpnp/wiki/Setup-and-Calibration%3A-Park-Location

mark maker

Nov 19, 2021, 3:02:18 AM11/19/21
to ope...@googlegroups.com

See here, and especially read the highlighted note:

Working with Limited Articulation

This section describes working with a nozzle that has a limited articulation, i.e. less than 360°, and the LimitedArticulation rotation mode set.

The rotation P button on the jog controls will now move to the 90° step angle nearest to the mid-position of a limited articulation nozzle (Note: this angle can vary, when a part is on the nozzle, i.e. when a RotationMode offset is applied).

https://github.com/openpnp/openpnp/wiki/Nozzle-Rotation-Mode#openpnp-support-for-limited-articulation

_Mark