New OpenPNP ReferencePushPullFeeder class

ma...@makr.zone

Apr 10, 2020, 5:14:28 PM4/10/20
to OpenPnP
Hi

for those interested, I made a new feeder class PR:

Watch the movie:

With OCR part recognition, one-click setup and other cool features:

_Mark

Bill Ruckman

Apr 10, 2020, 6:46:39 PM4/10/20
to ope...@googlegroups.com
Nice job Mark!  It looks great.

--Bill

ma...@makr.zone

Apr 11, 2020, 8:45:00 PM4/11/20
to OpenPnP
Hi all

Now also documented the 3D-printed feeder hardware:

Inspired by Dining-Philosopher’s Litefeeder and Jed Smith’s Litefeeder++ friction wheel, this feeder has the following design goals and ideas:
  • Use case: prototyping/very small runs.
  • All 3D-printed, no hardware (screws, springs etc.) required.
  • Complete solution: reel holder, feeder mount, cover tape spool, spent tape chute.
  • Supports 2mm pitch/0402 parts, i.e. it can feed two parts per tape advancement.
  • Simple and no-fiddle tape and reel loading, including cover tape spool clamp.
  • Feeder can be mounted between two mounted feeders, no tools, no side access required.
  • Relatively fast print: ~3.5h (or less) for complete feeder.
  • Low cost: $2 per feeder (PETG filament).
  • So cheap, you can store all your reels in the feeder until empty (if ever). Cartridge style.
  • All parts can be replaced, has punch-out holes to remove parts without breaking them.
  • The tape inset (see where the tape is inserted in the animation) is all you need to exchange for use with different tapes (paper thickness, embossed pocket width and depth, etc.). Provides snug fit for low vibrations and high precision pick location repeatability.
  • Insanely parametric OpenSCAD solution with Customizer parameter user interface, extensive comments in the code.
  • Open Source Hardware, GPL license.

Watch the movie:

https://youtu.be/cNCjjvCT4Fc

More info and source code:

_Mark

bert shivaan

Apr 11, 2020, 9:14:34 PM4/11/20
to OpenPnP
Pretty awesome Mark, Maybe I will try to print one next week :)
Thank You!!

bert shivaan

Apr 11, 2020, 9:18:07 PM4/11/20
to OpenPnP
Now if we just had a good solution for 0402 cut tape

ma...@makr.zone

Apr 12, 2020, 3:43:44 AM4/12/20
to ope...@googlegroups.com
Am 12.04.2020 um 03:17 schrieb bert shivaan:
Now if we just had a good solution for 0402 cut tape

Balázs buglyó

Apr 12, 2020, 4:54:51 AM4/12/20
to ope...@googlegroups.com

Mark thats awsome

2 days ago i just searched your feeder on your webpage. But you were faster :)

I will try within a week .

Thanks

Balazs

Ps: are these feeder options are custom made or built is 2.0 i did not use it yet.

Marek T.

Apr 12, 2020, 5:33:43 AM4/12/20
to OpenPnP
The width may be modified, parametrized. What with the height, higher parts like electrolitic capacitors etc? Feeder looks like only for flat tapes destined for, or maybe I've taken a look wrong, isn't it?

ma...@makr.zone

Apr 12, 2020, 5:43:16 AM4/12/20
to ope...@googlegroups.com

> Ps: are these feeder options are custom made or built is 2.0 i did not use it yet.

The BlindsFeeder and the ReferencePushPullFeeder (software side) are only available in OpenPNP 2.0. And the ReferencePushPullFeeder is still just a Pull Request, it must first be reviewed before it can be merged into OpenPNP 2.0. You can build it from my repo, though:

https://github.com/markmaker/openpnp/tree/feature/reference-push_pull-feeder

_Mark

ma...@makr.zone

Apr 12, 2020, 6:00:36 AM4/12/20
to ope...@googlegroups.com
Am 12.04.2020 um 11:33 schrieb Marek T.:
The width may be modified, parametrized. What with the height, higher parts like electrolitic capacitors etc? Feeder looks like only for flat tapes destined for, or maybe I've taken a look wrong, isn't it?

Hi Marek

The feeder has what I call a "tape inset", a small part that you can very quickly print to adapt different tapes to the feeder. You can parametrize it for thickness, and embossed pocket depth and size. If you watch closely, you can see, I use one with clear plastic embossed carrier tape in the video here:
https://youtu.be/5QcJ2ziIJ14?t=467

This is how you can parametrize it, and in the assembly animation GIF you see how the inset is snapped into the feeder:
https://makr.zone/wp-content/uploads/2020/04/PushPullFeeder_Assembly.gif

_Mark

bert shivaan

Apr 12, 2020, 7:37:37 AM4/12/20
to OpenPnP
Mark I have indeed seen your blinds feeder. It is one of the things that pushed me to buy a 3d printer after many years.

I thought I had read something about it having problems with 0402?

ma...@makr.zone

Apr 12, 2020, 8:36:50 AM4/12/20
to ope...@googlegroups.com

> I thought I had read something about it having problems with 0402?

No, it was specifically developed to support 0402! That's the principal package I want to use in my projects.

I was just frank in my description that it requires some 3D print tuning and careful handling when loading the tape.

But this was more to say, that 0603 handling is child's play! :-)

0402 parts are 1.5 times smaller than 0603, but this means that in 3 dimension they are 1.5 to the 3rd power less heavy, i.e. 3.375 times lighter, and assuming that the lift (vibration amplitude) required to topple them over their edge is also 1.5 times lower, this means that the potential energy required is weight x lift = 1.5 to the 4th power, i.e. 5 times lower with 0402 as compared to 0603. That explains a lot!

Watch the movie, where I made a point of using 0402. It works!

https://youtu.be/dGde59Iv6eY

I would be very interested in your experience with it!

_Mark

Marek T.

Apr 12, 2020, 8:44:20 AM4/12/20
to OpenPnP
Thank's Mark, I'll play later with this when at PC.

bert shivaan

Apr 12, 2020, 8:45:24 AM4/12/20
to OpenPnP
Thanks Mark!! I guess I had misunderstood the 0402 discussion part. I have watched the movie several times for sure, everytime I thought they were 402's. Something made me change.Now Iwill be back to the blinds feeders for sure!!

Marek T.

Apr 12, 2020, 9:08:26 AM4/12/20
to OpenPnP
Generally it's great job.
But the main disadvantage (in my personal opinion) is that this feeder requires additional horizontal move and then pick. I'd like to see this doing advancement with the only one vertical move the same that's doing picking - like old Yamaha. It means if z to Pick is -10mm, an advanced is made on the way between 0-5.
Of course I mean to avoid of time loose. But looking on fact that not many people here care about the speed, I'm probably one of the few who won't like it :-).

Marek T.

Apr 12, 2020, 9:09:01 AM4/12/20
to OpenPnP
3hrs print time, wow :-).

ma...@makr.zone

Apr 12, 2020, 10:50:05 AM4/12/20
to ope...@googlegroups.com

Hi Marek

This is really for the DIY/prototyping audience. Your fast machines, your professional volume production are really not what I was thinking about ... but you knew that, right?  ;-)

> doing advancement with the only one vertical move the same that's doing picking

Same move as picking is not working with 0402! You need a way to skip the feed for the second part, unless you find a way to do a reliable "half sprocket" advance. I assume most enthusiasts will try to go 0402 these days, so this is relevant and a simple mechanical DIY 0402 feeder is AFAIK missing.

But yes, of course this is not a fast feeder. It trades some speed for the goal to work without springs and without additional electronics. However, I tried hard to make the required moves as short and direct as possible. The leg speeds you see in the video are also not yet optimized.

The new feeder aims to be cheap so I can have a lot of them and I will never need to unload/reload tapes! Even with pro feeders, this seems to be quite complicated, time consuming and if you're unloading/loading a partially used reel, it seems this would be wasting an absolutely astonishing amount of parts, unless you can somehow make sure you can untangle the spent tape and cover tape back out of these long channels in the feeder both intact and in sufficient length, so they can become the leaders when you later reload the reel.

The new feeder is also not intended for marathon use. But I'm really curious how long one will last and I intend to do a burn-in test, wasting a few k parts. But for what I intend to do, I assume many of my 10k reels will never, ever be used up :-) Most feeders will feed a few thousand parts in their life-time, a few perhaps ten-thousands.

I'm also assuming and hoping this feeder will evolve with the community and it is not worth designing it for eternal life, but rather continually replace the worn-out ones with better versions.

Currently I have one part that I need in relatively large quantities (bypass caps). If the new feeder proves inadequate for such parts, I can still attach one or two professional feeders. Between these and the cut strip feeders, this new feeder fills an important niche, I believe.

What do you think? :-D

_Mark

Marek T.

Apr 12, 2020, 11:04:37 AM4/12/20
to OpenPnP
I generally very rarely dare to think you're not right ;). At approach like you said all is true.

I like an idea to have hundreds of feeders costing less than reel with parts on it and don't need to change them :-).

bert shivaan

Apr 12, 2020, 11:06:37 AM4/12/20
to OpenPnP
I agree Mark, I have been using the same reel of .1uF 0402 caps for about 7 years now. All other reels are the same. For me I do lots or prototype work for myself. So for me I am happy with anything that works.

bert shivaan

Apr 12, 2020, 11:09:29 AM4/12/20
to OpenPnP
Mark do we need a particular color for these like we do the blinds?

ma...@makr.zone

Apr 12, 2020, 11:29:47 AM4/12/20
to ope...@googlegroups.com

The built-in pipeline will work with orange-to-green high saturation colors:

HSV – Wikipedie

But any color different from the tape can be made to work by tweaking the pipeline.  The color is much less important than with the BlindsFeeder, because the parts are not inside the sprocket holes (hopefully ;-). Still I assume a high saturation color is better, because it works amazingly independent from brightness, so the shadows inside the holes are no problem, even if asymmetric. I you have it, use green, as I believe it is the accepted "green screen" color in electronics (Juki nozzle tips).

Note also, you only need to print the "Tape Inset" with that color, the other parts are irrelevant.

Be sure to use PETG or another springy and tough material.

_Mark

bert shivaan

Apr 12, 2020, 11:44:03 AM4/12/20
to OpenPnP
awesome!! so I will get a spool of green (hopefully it is "correct" green), and likely white or blue.

Thanks Mark

Hanski

Apr 12, 2020, 2:37:55 PM4/12/20
to OpenPnP
Great work Mark!

Would it be wise for me to wait that it's included in the official OpenPnP 2.0, or should I learn how to build it from your repo?
I'm new with repo building.

-Hanski

ma...@makr.zone

Apr 12, 2020, 3:04:18 PM4/12/20
to ope...@googlegroups.com

Hi Hanski

Thanks!

It is a very good thing to learn how to build OpenPNP, if you are a coder in some way or other. So if this is the opportunity, go for it! It's liberating.

If you are not a coder, I would wait. I have one test to do (job) and then Jason is usually quite fast in merging new stuff in, if it doesn't change existing code too much. If there is an unexpected snag in my PR, you can always reconsider later.

_Mark

Hanski

Apr 13, 2020, 3:28:02 AM4/13/20
to ope...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Mark for the encouragement!
I’m an electronics guy at heart, I can wait for the official release.

Still your work is most interesting!
I’ll be able to test my luck if I could use my 4mm pitch feeders for 0402 components. Will the two exposed parts jump out of pocket when other one is picked. Drum roll.. :)

-Hanski

You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "OpenPnP" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/openpnp/34031794-cce9-661b-c125-ecc35d870bd3%40makr.zone.

Jed Smith

Apr 13, 2020, 7:02:30 AM4/13/20
to OpenPnP
I'm impressed with the design Mark, really well thought out.

The horizontal actuation should help overcome some of the issues I've had with my design. Namely picking up enough force from the advancing tape to wind the cover without having the sprocket jump out of the holes. I've been finding it works great on the thicker paper tapes that 0603 caps come in (~1.1 mm) but requires more tweaking for the thinner resistor tapes (~0.8 mm). Haven't run enough plastic tapes through for a definitive thought on those yet.

I like your latching mechanism. Have found putting a screw down below where the tape advances over is a pain. You have to cut the tape and retract it a little to pull the feeder out.

It looks like your design sits up pretty high. I've recently tweaked my design to get the winding spool lower to clear the camera. My setup is using Peter's head so I'll have to look into whether I can try it unmodified.

ma...@makr.zone

Apr 13, 2020, 8:39:20 AM4/13/20
to ope...@googlegroups.com

Hi Jed

> I'm impressed with the design Mark, really well thought out.

It's evolved from yours, so thank you twice ;-)

> It looks like your design sits up pretty high.

There were several considerations:

  1. Full feeder must absolutely print in one go (PRUSA i3 and similar standard print volume).
  2. Still want this to be a complete solution, reel holder and spent tape chute included, so everything must be quite compact.
  3. The Feeder should also be as small as possible when assembled (for storage with the reel).
  4. With the Liteplacer camera being at +Y ~30mm the nozzle tip needs to be able to move 30mm over the pick location.
  5. Assuming the feeders form a row, I cannot sidestep the feeder (though the lever actuator is designed to go between two levers when picking).
  6. So I had to clear the front of the feeder and the solution was to reach over it for the lever.
  7. It is designed to be at the table/machine reach edge, so the height actually does not matter (as far as I see).
  8. Wanted it to work with a low as possible Safe Z, because the Liteplacer Z is relatively slow, so lowering Safe Z down helps.
  9. So the lever actuator should not reach lower than the other structures on the Nozzle to add no new collision constraints for Safe Z for all the various machines out there (on the Liteplacer the nozzle rotation stepper body forms the natural limit/underside).
  10. So this gives you the minimal height of the lever knob.
  11. The spool then just uses the available height.
  12. Note that the extrusion should be mounted just beyond the table edge (assuming the Liteplacer front legs as edge) and -20mm down. So the pick location is at proper PCB/table surface level.
If you look at the model (with Make Option "Everything") you see how the camera over pick location (green) the lever actuation location (red) and the pick location (grey) shape the feeders profile, really:

_Mark

Pekka Roivainen

Apr 16, 2020, 7:36:27 AM4/16/20
to OpenPnP
Mark, your model is simply amazing!

I've spent some time tweaking it to fit to my machine and here is the first feeds (by hand)
https://photos.google.com/share/AF1QipOPdCFpYNE-ReY4yd-e2sjoTP1O_0DzlLo-ATU-lDphvvRjGfFx9_NAyjBLwZ_q0w?key=YWRmVjFtS2Z0SUloREtjS1g1LVFvRnljN2xDR2ZB

I had to modify it quite a lot, mainly as my camera is about 60mm from the nozzles instead of your 30mm, so I had to move the lever mechanism back a lot. I also wanted the pick height to be 16mm above the extrusion instead of the default 20mm to match with my other feeders. For that, I needed to reduce the size of the locking mechanism, which was the only time I had to touch the code by the way as that was not parametric if I understand correctly. The lock still works and mounts the feeder in place so firmly! Lot of tweaking on all other parts as well, my DIY printer is quite sloppy, so let's see if it holds the tolerances when I try to print more. For axle fit I used a reamer to get the fit really good. Next I of course need to design the actuator and see if it works with that..

Looking forward to pull request merging, or then I need to start learning how to compile OpenPNP. :)

Thanks for publishing, this is so cool! Not that I don't like the 0816 feeders, but getting these to work would reduce both cost and build time of the feeders so much. Some speed would be lost, but that is not my main priority right now.

BR,
Pekka Roivainen

On Saturday, April 11, 2020 at 12:14:28 AM UTC+3, ma...@makr.zone wrote:
Hi

for those interested, I made a new feeder class PR:

Watch the movie:

With OCR part recognition, one-click setup and other cool features:

_Mark

ma...@makr.zone

Apr 16, 2020, 7:47:00 AM4/16/20
to ope...@googlegroups.com

Thanks, and wow are you quick in adapting this so far!

:-)

_Mark

Peter Chaisty

Apr 29, 2020, 7:45:15 AM4/29/20
to OpenPnP
Hi Mark

Does it only work with the openbuilds extrusion ?

Can you provide a link to the extrusion just to make sure I source the correct type (I'm uk but just want to make sure ).

Peter

ma...@makr.zone

Apr 29, 2020, 11:24:07 AM4/29/20
to ope...@googlegroups.com

Hi Peter

theoretically other extrusions should work too, the extrusion is also parametric.

But I may have made some assumptions in the lock design, that won't work, like the angle of the slot.

OpenBuilds is a widely available Open Source Hardware product, so I believe you should get adequate supply everywhere and I'm sure any rip-offs and clones will work too.

https://openbuildspartstore.com/v-slot-linear-rail-1/

This is just the first UK shop I found:

https://ooznest.co.uk/product-category/parts/mechanical-parts/v-slot-extrusions/

You can use 20x20mm V-Slot extrusion...

https://ooznest.co.uk/product/clearance-v-slot-linear-rail-20x20mm/

... or other dimesions if you're prepared to tweak the model params.

_Mark

Peter Chaisty

Apr 30, 2020, 8:53:55 AM4/30/20
to OpenPnP
Thanks Mark

This really is a neat design.

Peter

Melitonas

May 7, 2020, 11:19:58 AM5/7/20
to OpenPnP
hello,

trying to print it, but the edges are warping badly.

how to disable the bevel in openscad? I will to add the brim in prusa slicer.

ma...@makr.zone

May 7, 2020, 2:23:54 PM5/7/20
to ope...@googlegroups.com

Hi Melitonas

My gut feeling is that you must solve this problem with your printer rather than trying to mend it in the model. Are you printing in PETG? I'm just asking because I hat an awful experience with ABS. ABS didn't work at all.

If you have problems with PETG please try using a adhesive Spray. It works wonders!

Also I don't really understand your question. The bevel will normally help against warp and not worsen it.

Having said all that, you can change how the model will be beveled.

First there is the bevel_z variable. It controls most large bevels. It is set to two layer height by default. Change it as you like.

And then there is the default parameter value for bevel  in beveled_extrude().

It is set to one layer height by default. Change it as you like.

_Mark

Scott Wilson

May 7, 2020, 8:51:04 PM5/7/20
to OpenPnP
Has anyone used this with 'peters head', or just liteplacer so far?

-Scott

Keith Hargrove

May 8, 2020, 1:15:49 AM5/8/20
to OpenPnP
I printed one in PLA as I had that loaded. But the springs snapped. I then loaded ABS and print just the springs. my printer is kinda crappy a old maker x2

The tang that goes into the tape hole did not come out very well. have to see if that will be a problem but the system seem to work but the force seems high I was thinking of making the lever longer to reduce loading on the steppers.

One thing a SCAD thing is the round parts are not round. I changed the segment length  $fn to a big number for the bearing parts. takes a long time to render but makes a big difference. I will have to try a all abs version.

Melitonas

May 8, 2020, 3:58:36 PM5/8/20
to ope...@googlegroups.com
Hey Mark,

I am using noname PLA. Just ordered original PETG from Prusa.
Will try different slicer settings and will try to remove the bevel :) until the PETG arrives.

Do you use adhesive Spray on the Powder Coated original Prusa heatbed? What brand of Spray?

ma...@makr.zone

May 8, 2020, 4:17:27 PM5/8/20
to ope...@googlegroups.com

Cool.

> Do you use adhesive Spray on the Powder Coated original Prusa heatbed? What brand of Spray?

Yes. I'm using "3DLAC":

https://www.3dlac.com/3dlac/3dlac-product/

This is just the first brand I tried, so no comparison.

For a fresh session I use Isopropanol to clean first. Then for two, three prints I only spray. Then I wash using warm water and use Isopropanol again.

If the bed is cold I spray until it looks slightly wet which is quite a lot. If it's warm this won't be a good indicator (dries quickly), so use your "timing" from the cold sprays.

If you have the PRUSA, take the sheet away from the printer to spray. I didn't do that first and it caked the rails. But it can be cleaned easily and relubricated with the lube coming with the PRUSA.

_Mark

eSlavko

May 14, 2020, 11:57:29 AM5/14/20
to OpenPnP
After Mike give me idea that this one can be actuated with servo I just do sample print to see how perform in hand.

So this come out:

IMG_20200514_170039.jpg

Don't understand me wrong when I say what I don't like or what doesn't perform well. There are a lot of design time in this project so thanks to author.

As I already tryed similar concept with slip clutch I know that there are big chances to fail. It will be to tight or to lose. That should be improved. In my printer I just can't get right tension. Maybe magnetic slip clutch can be made in near same space (Mike idea)

Drilling for tape drive pin is hard job to do correctly. The place where drilling start the flank should be perpendicticular to the dril to have "clue" on what direction to drill. Even preprinted hole should help guiding while drilling.

To drive the unit insane force is required. After printing I postdrilled all holes to have just little sloop. But still really high force is needed. Come little better when I grease sliding parts but still I think the force is to high. Even from engineering side of view is bad idea to have same sliding material in both elements. I think at least there should sacrifise "all part printed - no vitamins" and add some steel rood for axes. Somewhere I see that betwen two plastic parts are just bigger gap with piece of brass tube inserted as plain bearing.

Don't know how long the ratchet spring will do the job. PLA will probably snap fast. PETG should be better. As the idea we allready (probably) have a lot of good material for leaf springs. FR4 is "insane" good material for that and that's nice area for reciclyng bad designed boards. With proper design just flat rectangles are needed.

Same apply for spring that drive tape. Actually there are design flaw as the most bending area has sharp corner.

For the final one question.
What is the drive scenario?
I assume Pull to move ratchet to new hole in tape, and then push to advance tape. Or the spring should return to final location?
If machine need to return to exact location there is precise alignment needed. As lever has dead stop if machine advance little more than needed the stepper can lost step. If machine return little less than hardstop the pick location is not exact. So in this way interchanging feeders is questionable as every print can have little difference and other reel of plastic has definetly difference.

And really I like design. Like modular concept, but some things should be improved. I didn't used scad so I'm limited to improvements. But will share solutions if someone can/want/need to implement to original design.

ma...@makr.zone

May 14, 2020, 12:48:29 PM5/14/20
to OpenPnP
Hi Slavko

Have you followed my videos? There are several things you have problems with or that you ask, that I address in the videos. I can't explain any better than in the videos, so I refer you to the blog where the videos are linked.

Why "Drilling for tape drive pin"? I have printed my driving pins and I have never ever even seen a tiny bit of wear on them. And I have abused them when trying out things. They work perfectly both with paper and plastic tapes. Yes the long term experience is still missing but I'm confident.

There is no "insane force" needed to drive it. I think you have missed the part about the test print and play tuning. Please watch the video. The test print is small and fast:

This is a model with built-in advanced tuning possibilities. Don't expect your first "hope-for-blind-luck" print to work. :-) We are trading some brains for hardware: No pins, no screws, no springs required. But some well-guided tuning is needed. The idea is to invest some time up front, then replicate feeders in mass at 2$ a piece and minutes to assemble.

About the slip clutch, I do agree that this is the weakest point. It also matters what the properties of the filament are. Some filamantes have a "waxen" feel when printed, that works nicely with the clutch i.e. the friction wheel. Extrudr PETG is my favorite, Prusament PETG works well too. Other filaments are almost sticky. Even the axles always stick and stutter. These filaments don't work well.

The clutch is made out of two small parts. The model lets you print each part individually. So you can quickly try out options without having to print the whole feeder. The friction wheel could perhaps even be printed in some other plastic than the rest.

_Mark

eSlavko

May 14, 2020, 1:17:53 PM5/14/20
to OpenPnP
Hello Mark...

On Thursday, May 14, 2020 at 6:48:29 PM UTC+2, ma...@makr.zone wrote:
Hi Slavko

Have you followed my videos? There are several things you have problems with or that you ask, that I address in the videos. I can't explain any better than in the videos, so I refer you to the blog where the videos are linked.

I did read and follow test procedure. But something is just not right. And in meantime the lever snap in expected position. (I do clicking when thinkering to see how long will last.

Why "Drilling for tape drive pin"? I have printed my driving pins and I have never ever even seen a tiny bit of wear on them. And I have abused them when trying out things. They work perfectly both with paper and plastic tapes. Yes the long term experience is still missing but I'm confident.

??? Where the pin is? I can't see it. Do you have some closeup photo of that part?

There is no "insane force" needed to drive it. I think you have missed the part about the test print and play tuning. Please watch the video. The test print is small and fast:

I do that. And all joints rotate freely until spring is engaged. (springy part between lever and tape driving pin). Then friction or spring cause a lot of force needed.

This is a model with built-in advanced tuning possibilities. Don't expect your first "hope-for-blind-luck" print to work. :-) We are trading some brains for hardware: No pins, no screws, no springs required. But some well-guided tuning is needed. The idea is to invest some time up front, then replicate feeders in mass at 2$ a piece and minutes to assemble.

I respect that design is clever make. But sometime is better to sacrifice that and some "household" item is added to improve reliability.

About the slip clutch, I do agree that this is the weakest point. It also matters what the properties of the filament are. Some filamantes have a "waxen" feel when printed, that works nicely with the clutch i.e. the friction wheel. Extrudr PETG is my favorite, Prusament PETG works well too. Other filaments are almost sticky. Even the axles always stick and stutter. These filaments don't work well.

I do print with white PLA. Seems that this one is to sticky. Maybe I need to try with PETG.

The clutch is made out of two small parts. The model lets you print each part individually. So you can quickly try out options without having to print the whole feeder. The friction wheel could perhaps even be printed in some other plastic than the rest.

Will try again but sadly can't believe that this part can be made reliable.

_Mark

eSlavko

May 14, 2020, 1:23:14 PM5/14/20
to OpenPnP
Hello Mark...

Btw did you consider to add reel holder for cut tapes (not winded on reels) like this holder?

ma...@makr.zone

May 16, 2020, 7:09:42 AM5/16/20
to ope...@googlegroups.com

Hi Slavko

> ??? Where the pin is? I can't see it. Do you have some closeup photo of that part?

This one was already used for dozens if not hundreds of parts:

> I do print with white PLA. Seems that this one is to sticky. Maybe I need to try with PETG.

No, PLA will not work. It is too brittle, things will break. No wonder you broke the lever.

Yes, go for PETG, it is day and night! I never use PLA anymore except for kiddy stuff like "sparkling gold filament" etc. ;-)

> Will try again but sadly can't believe that this part can be made reliable.

I'm currently bogged down with other stuff. But I will do the promised "burn-in-test", like I said and explained here:

Until then you need some faith. ;-)

Therapy for those metal fanatics that doubt plastic in general:

  1. Take an empty PET bottle of carbonated water (also known as soda water, sparkling water, fizzy water, water with gas, or however you call it where you're from). Still water bottles won't work (I think they are often not even made from PET).
  2. Take a moment to study how thin the bottle wall is.
  3. Now with your bare hands and teeth (be careful!) try to rip it into two pieces. Fast!
  4. Time it. Make a video and post it, if you dare ;-)

_Mark

Slavko Kocjancic

May 16, 2020, 7:52:31 AM5/16/20
to ope...@googlegroups.com
On 16. 05. 20 13:09, ma...@makr.zone wrote:
> Hi Slavko
>
> /> ??? Where the pin is? I can't see it. Do you have some closeup photo
> of that part?/
>
> This one was already used for dozens if not hundreds of parts:/

I forget to post. I already find the culpruit. I used 0.8mm nozzle on my
printer and slicer just "erase" that pin. I ordered some finer nozzles
to see differnce.

> /
>

> />//I do print with white PLA. Seems that this one is to sticky. Maybe I
> need to try with PETG./
>
> No, PLA will not work. It is too brittle, things will break. No wonder
> you broke the lever.

I didn't give up. I try with PETG lever on already printed PLA base. But
the lever seem's to be a little bit to flimsy now. It does radial twist.
Seems that PLA is to britle for spring and PETG to soft? Maybe need to
try another brand.

> Yes, go for PETG, it is day and night! I never use PLA anymore except
> for kiddy stuff like "sparkling gold filament" etc. ;-)
>

> />//Will try again but sadly can't believe that this part can be made
> reliable./
>
> I'm currently bogged down with other stuff. But I will do the promised
> "burn-in-test", like I said and explained here:
>
> https://groups.google.com/d/msg/openpnp/VDEKlvYKfTY/NOwMW3xWAQAJ

I did a few test's with clutch and spool of differen't diameter. And
with bigger diameter the clutch works way better.

I belive thay you target to 20m of cover tape and you get that with
reeel with 24mm inner and 57 outer diameter. And this mean that in worst
case when spool is empty you need up to 100g force. But when spool is
near full you need 230g force not including friction. I thing that
ratchet driving dog should be little stronger for that.

And I test other aproaches too. I do test print with spool with 50mm
inner diameter and 71mm outer diameter. and in this case only 145g force
is needed when spool is full. And of course a lot more space in hub for
clutch. So 14mm wider outer diameter do a lot! Even 40/64 will do beeter
and just 7mm bigger diameter.

And I do burn test with blocked clutch. I connect drill to clutch and
drive that at 250RPM for one hour. That means around 100m of cover tape.
The temperature rise to 40 degre/C. At start the clutch have 5N/cm force
and after test just 1.5N/cm. And wear is clearly visible. Test done with
PLA and 50mm clutch.

ma...@makr.zone

May 16, 2020, 8:50:18 AM5/16/20
to ope...@googlegroups.com
Am 16.05.2020 um 13:52 schrieb Slavko Kocjancic:
> But when spool is near full you need 230g force not including friction. I thing that ratchet driving dog should be little stronger for that.

First it should be understood that it is not the spool that is driving the tape but the dog. The spool only needs to pull the cover tape off.

I won't deny that so far I have never tested with a full spool. And I don't doubt the relative numbers of the forces required. But how did you get the absolute numbers?

In my tests it is much harder to pull the lever (load the springs) than to push it, i.e. the 3D-printed springs are often sufficient to drive the tape and pull the cover tape. It is visible here, when after the first light pressure the lever escaped my finger and went by itself:

The is some force required to finish the move, but its still not much and I think it comes almost exclusively from friction as the dog is pressed down and forward, so I assume it is constant i.e. independent from the spools fill.

Note, that the original "Litefeeder" design worked with a small spring only. I doubt that spring is so strong.

> I connect drill to clutch and drive that at 250RPM for one hour. That means around 100m of cover tape. The temperature rise to 40 degre/C.

;-) no comment.

_Mark

Marek T.

May 16, 2020, 9:28:01 AM5/16/20
to OpenPnP
Hi Mark, the lever you push with your finger, in the movie, is a kind of bar needed to be pushed horizontaly (y move if feeders are mounted along the x length of the machine). I wonder what could be of it is a triangle shape and pushed verticaly (z). This z move in effect should also force y move of the lever. And then no need to do any extra x move at all.
How do you think? If you got what I mean :-).

ma...@makr.zone

May 16, 2020, 10:41:58 AM5/16/20
to ope...@googlegroups.com

Hi Marek

I need to push and to pull (not shown in the gif). Hence the name ;-)

Remember we talked about it, for a 0402 we need to feed only every second pick, so we can't do it without extra moves.

But the feeder does not need an extra move in X. Only in Y and Z (assuming a "South" feeder).

https://youtu.be/5QcJ2ziIJ14?t=255

_m

Scott Wilson

May 16, 2020, 11:38:06 AM5/16/20
to OpenPnP
Just to throw in my experience... I printed one of these in PETG last week and it assembled and fed perfectly. I used a fresh reel of resistors and had no problems actuating by hand, and I think a pnp head will be able to easily handle it. It _must_ be properly attached to a rail to work reliably, I initially tried just holding it and there was all sorts of chaos.

One thing I'm concerned about in real operation- the peeler seems to lag a bit behind the tape. I haven't really invested this though.

I'm looking forward to trying these on the new machine I'm building, but I'm probably still a month or two away.

All in all these are amazingly designed, thank you!

-Scott

Marek T.

May 16, 2020, 12:25:16 PM5/16/20
to OpenPnP
Yes I Kraft meant y move of course.
Pity. I must print it and look if can improof it in acc to my dreamings ;)

Marek T.

May 16, 2020, 12:26:00 PM5/16/20
to OpenPnP
Kraft - typo error of damned phone...

bert shivaan

May 16, 2020, 12:52:18 PM5/16/20
to OpenPnP
Can anyone explain the point of running the waste spool at 250 RPM for an hour?
 I mean the use case for this is to only move per feed correct?

On Sat, May 16, 2020 at 12:26 PM Marek T. <marek.tw...@gmail.com> wrote:
Kraft - typo error of damned phone...

Slavko Kocjancic

May 16, 2020, 1:14:05 PM5/16/20
to ope...@googlegroups.com
On 16. 05. 20 18:52, bert shivaan wrote:
> Can anyone explain the point of running the waste spool at 250 RPM for
> an hour?
>  I mean the use case for this is to only move per feed correct?

correct.
And with that I simulated 5 full rels used.

bert shivaan

May 16, 2020, 1:25:13 PM5/16/20
to OpenPnP
but it spun too fast and generated heat that will never happen in real use

Slavko Kocjancic

May 16, 2020, 1:38:08 PM5/16/20
to ope...@googlegroups.com
On 16. 05. 20 19:24, bert shivaan wrote:
> but it spun too fast and generated heat that will never happen in real use

Corect. Temperature rise to 40 degres so the wear is stronger. But in
that condition I can call that is good for 2 reels. Under normal
condition probably more. At least clutch. Other weak point is probably
dog that drive ratcher.

Keith Hargrove

May 16, 2020, 4:27:49 PM5/16/20
to OpenPnP
For clutch a bit of pinched felt has been the standard for 100's of years. Almost every cassette tape deck use felt. I bet other bits of fabric might work  but felt is king for low speed clutches.

ma...@makr.zone

May 17, 2020, 1:52:07 AM5/17/20
to ope...@googlegroups.com

Very good point. If this acts up, I  will make room for gluing some into the drum.

Slavko Kocjancic

May 17, 2020, 2:22:12 AM5/17/20
to ope...@googlegroups.com
Axialy or radially?
I did test with felt just few days ago. I squished it with two magnets.
The friction is constant. If the felt is on bed side of print (smoth)
the friction is little low. If I put felt on top side on print the
freiction is to high. I did try to sand bed side of print and that's
come just right. But I'm in doubt how long will keep that. Need to make
burn test.

I did try bare PLA to PLA (base plates touching) and got near zerro
friction (but magnet pressing like mad it's hard to separate them)
Then I try various material betwen disks. Inded felt works best.

Test parts shown.
Together.jpg
MagnetOneSide.jpg
MagnetOtherSide.jpg

eSlavko

May 17, 2020, 2:29:01 AM5/17/20
to OpenPnP
Forget to say that in this axial way the both flanks of spool rotate and are limited with slip clutch. In original design one flank is direct driven and other slip limited.

ma...@makr.zone

May 17, 2020, 3:42:16 AM5/17/20
to ope...@googlegroups.com

Not sure I understand. We don't want it to clutch against the feeder base, only against the ratchet. I probably misunderstand.

_Mark

Am 17.05.2020 um 08:29 schrieb eSlavko:
Forget to say that in this axial way the both flanks of spool rotate and are limited with slip clutch. In original design one flank is direct driven and other slip limited.

Ray

May 19, 2020, 6:51:40 PM5/19/20
to OpenPnP

This is really awesome! Thank you for designing and sharing it :)

I had to tweak the scad settings a little for my printer (so many options, it’s great!) and I found one thing that isn’t working for me. I had to set a positive “play” value to get the cylinder of the Tape Chute (that it pivots on) to fit into the Base Plate (making the cylinder smaller), but doing so increases the diameter of the half circle nub on the Tape Chute that snaps into the Base Plate to keep it in is normal position. I expected that nub to get smaller with a positive value like the cylinder does. As is I can’t get the Tape Chute to fit in both places with the same “play” value. Is the “play” value change for the Tape Chute nub inverted? Or am I missing something?

tape chute.PNG

Thanks!

ma...@makr.zone

May 20, 2020, 1:36:07 AM5/20/20
to ope...@googlegroups.com

Hi Ray

Glad its useful :-)

Yes, I inverted this by mistake!

The rule is this: all the small parts of the Phase II have the play, so you can adjust it and reprint only the small part.

It should be fixed:

https://github.com/markmaker/PushPullFeeder.git

_Mark

Ray

Ray

May 22, 2020, 4:34:18 PM5/22/20
to OpenPnP
I've also had trouble with bevels against the bed. Seems to give it a place to start peeling up.

fyi, I was playing with removing the bevels as mentioned, but noticed that if you set bevel_z=0; then the Handle Lock loses its locking nub, and the Base Plate loses the recess that the nub fits into.

base plate missing nub.PNG

handle lock missing nub.PNG

I'll probably just get it to print with small bevels ;)

Am 07.05.2020 um 17:19 schrieb Melitonas:
hello,

trying to print it, but the edges are warping badly.

how to disable the bevel in openscad? I will to add the brim in prusa slicer.

Alexander Goldstone

Jun 2, 2020, 11:15:08 AM6/2/20
to OpenPnP

Hi Mark.

This looks great!

I'm just starting out with OpenPNP (well I will be when the SimplePNP project starts shipping) and my plan is to start with the Blinds Feeder and then introduce your Push Pull feeder when I can - assuming the machine has enough strength to use it.

I don't currently have a 3D Printer so this is a good excuse to get one.

Ignoring lead-times for the moment, I am considering either a Prusa Mini or Prusa i3MK3S.

I can see that the parameters of the Blinds Feeder let me specify the quantity of strips and the length so should be printable on either machine (unless you tell me otherwise).

From what I can tell, your PushPull model is optimised for the larger print volume of the Prusa i3MK3S.

Presumably I could just print some of the parts in one pass and then the remaining parts in another pass on the smaller (180×180×180mm) Prusa Mini? Is it just a case of deactivating them int he OpenSCAD model or is it better to output the complete model and do something in the Slicer (forgive my ignorance - still learning)?

I appreciate this might be more 3D Printing than OpenPNP specific but my focus is your feeders so want to ensure I make the right decisions re 3D Printer.

Thanks.

Alex

On Friday, April 10, 2020 at 10:14:28 PM UTC+1, ma...@makr.zone wrote:
Hi

for those interested, I made a new feeder class PR:

Watch the movie:

With OCR part recognition, one-click setup and other cool features:

_Mark

ma...@makr.zone

Jun 2, 2020, 11:39:35 AM6/2/20
to ope...@googlegroups.com

Hi Alexander

Your assumptions are right. The BlindsFeeder shouldn't be printed too long anyway, otherwise the tolerances of the tape pitch against the blinds pitch will create problems (allowed manufacturing tolerances by EIA standard).

For the PushPullFeeder, you can choose which elements to print in the model but as they are arranged for the larger print bed, you'll need to right click on the object in PrusaSlicer and choose Split / To objects function

Then the Arrange function. It can automatically arrange stuff on the bed.

Having said that, if you plan to print a serious number of those Feeders and perhaps other cool stuff, you'll probably regret buying the small printer (I'll admit, it does look cool though :-).

_Mark

Alexander Goldstone

Jun 3, 2020, 3:13:06 PM6/3/20
to OpenPnP

Thanks Mark.

That's really useful information... I assumed I'd be ok either way but it's good to get confirmation from someone that knows!

Much appreciated.

Alex
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to ope...@googlegroups.com.

Harjit Singh

Jun 3, 2020, 3:26:38 PM6/3/20
to ope...@googlegroups.com
Below you talked about the tolerance is the tape pitch against the blinds pitch and I don't follow an aspect of it.

Once you setup the blinds feeder, doesn't the machine use the tape configuration to pick parts? If so, then as long as the blinds feeder is straight, everything should be fine?

ma...@makr.zone

Jun 4, 2020, 2:47:41 AM6/4/20
to ope...@googlegroups.com

Hi Harjit

First, just to avoid confusion, I'd like to point out that I'm now talking about the BlindsFeeder, not the PushPullFeeder, i.e. we're in the wrong thread :)

https://makr.zone/new-openpnp-blindsfeeder/353/

The EIA standard allows for some tolerance in the pitch of the pockets and sprocket holes. The more pockets you line up, the more these errors accumulate. This is irrelevant for all transporting feeders (e.g. the PushPullfeeder), because of the sprocket holes obviously having the same errors as the pockets and them constantly correcting the position. But in the laid out BlindsFeeder the accumulation may become relevant, at least for very long 0402 tape feeders. The standard allows for 0.2mm error on 10 pitches, so after 25 parts (=only 50mm on 0402 tape), the 1mm pocket could theoretically be half obstructed by the blinds cover and picking become impossible. I'm sure only a fraction of these tolerances is usually exploited by manufacturers these days, and I guess feeders up to ~150mm are fine (they all were in my tests). But it's still just something to keep in mind. For larger parts/pitches you can make longer feeders.

_Mark

Morpheus

Jun 10, 2020, 2:46:18 AM6/10/20
to OpenPnP
Briliant!

Looking forward to try them

Ray

Jun 10, 2020, 10:40:41 AM6/10/20
to OpenPnP
I'm trying to figure out why my part label is being mirrored in the vision pipeline. This happens with default pipeline settings. It first appears mirrored in the AffineWarp stage. The mirroring stops the OCR from reading the label correctly.

Any ideas?

Thanks for the help

ocr-mirror.PNG

Ray

Jun 10, 2020, 11:00:05 AM6/10/20
to OpenPnP
I'm doing something wrong with the setup for the PUSH_PULL actuator. It seems like a simple setup, but I can't get it to move in Z.

I created an actuator named PUSH_PULL with the same offsets as the nozzle per the instruction video.

After I select the PUSH_PULL actuator in the Push-Pull Motion tab, capturing the location of the actuator (blue dot button) always ignores Z. It will set the X and Y for Start Location, Mid Location, etc, but it always set Z to 0. Specifically it sets Z to the value that is the PUSH_PULL actuators z offset (which is set to 0, but if I change it to test then the test value is always loaded for Z on position capture instead of 0). I can manually enter the Z values just looking at the DRO as I move the hook to advance the feeder, but when I use a part feed or part pick command, the Z values I entered are ignored. The head moves in the appropriate x and y to actuate the lever, but stays up at Z 0 the whole time.

Thanks for the help

actuator.PNG

nozzle.PNG

pushpull.PNG

ma...@makr.zone

Jun 10, 2020, 1:22:49 PM6/10/20
to ope...@googlegroups.com

Hi Ray

It must be the OCR Region of Interest (ROI) setup. If you select the wrong corners / in the wrong order this may happen.

https://youtu.be/5QcJ2ziIJ14?t=40

Read the text underneath the camera view. If the text is bad, please report back so I can improve it. I'm not an English speaker :).

_Mark

ma...@makr.zone

Jun 10, 2020, 1:27:48 PM6/10/20
to ope...@googlegroups.com

You need to add the Actuator to the Z axis mapping.

Like the Nozzle, but with the ID of the Actuator:

https://github.com/openpnp/openpnp/wiki/GcodeDriver%3A-Axis-Mapping#mapping-axes-to-headmountables

This will be much easier in the future :-)

I'm currently developing this:

https://groups.google.com/d/msg/openpnp/bEVZvYoXO98/xi__Nk-dAgAJ

_Mark

Ray

Jun 10, 2020, 3:46:17 PM6/10/20
to OpenPnP
ooooh! I get it ;)

That makes sense. Apparently I skipped over reading the "what will become" part of the orientation directions and was selecting what was currently on the screen the upper left.

I can't think of any better way to word it, I just have to read it....

Thanks!

--Ray

Am 10.06.2020 um 16:40 schrieb Ray:
I'm trying to figure out why my part label is being mirrored in the vision pipeline. This happens with default pipeline settings. It first appears mirrored in the AffineWarp stage. The mirroring stops the OCR from reading the label correctly.

Any ideas?

Thanks for the help

ocr-mirror.PNG

Ray

Jun 10, 2020, 3:49:45 PM6/10/20
to OpenPnP
That did it, it's working now :)

Looking forward to that update, sounds very useful ;)

Thanks!

--Ray
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to ope...@googlegroups.com.
Message has been deleted

Gabe Balles

Jul 4, 2020, 11:33:44 PM7/4/20
to OpenPnP
[Reposted with typos fixed]

Hi Mark,

I've printed some of the pushpull feeders you designed but I am facing some issues that could probably be related to the accuracy of my printer. (Just to give you an idea on the accuracy of my printer with PETG: doing the test for the axles never really got me anywhere because I was having blobs/zits which would be more prevalent than any adjustment done in your model. The solution there for me was to just use a drill-bit for the finishing touch.)

I thought I would ask in case it is something in the openscad settings. I have tried a few different combinations but haven't found one that's consistent. I'd like to say first that I really appreciate the effort you have put into this, everything is incredibly customisable.

What happens:
---------------------
1) It seems hard to find the right balance for the Lever. I seem to have inconsistent dragging of the tape, sometimes it grabs, sometimes it doesn't, some times it grabs it and moves the tape back and forth. This last one is probably due to me removing the backward-blocking thorn of the Inset. I had to sand the Inset down as there was too much friction. I have tried modifying the Lever pin that goes into the sprocket holes with a soldering iron to try different shapes and angles as well, but no luck.
2) The Friction Wheel seems to be of critical importance:
       - Too big and the tape cover is pulled back aggressively to the point where it slips from under the retaining bar and locking spring holding cylinder on the base. It then goes to the side of the feeder and therefore applies an offset on the whole push-pull motion.
       - Too small and the tape cover does not peel back well and eventually the Nozzle lands on it instead of the component.
       - Maybe the uneven springs of the Wheel and spool inner diameter make for an unpredictable behaviour on my end.

I have been trying to tune them over the last 2-3 weeks but I am now thinking of just going the full electrical approach instead which might be more repeatable/reliable for me (unless I get a Prusa MK3 maybe).

Any ideas are welcome.

Cheers,
Gabe

ma...@makr.zone

Jul 5, 2020, 12:33:11 PM7/5/20
to ope...@googlegroups.com

Hi Gabe

it is true that the friction wheel is the Achilles heel of the whole construction and I can well imagine that "blobs/zits" etc. can make finding the right balance impossible.

Have you tried using different filament? I had some filaments that had a sticky "rubber" on "rubber" friction behavior that didn't work. Others are had more of a "wax on wax" feel and they work much better. The best so far is Extrudr PETG, but Prusament PETG worked too. You can tell with the test print axles. If the one with no wiggle exhibits a strong "creak", the filament is no good.

Someone rightfully pointed out that felt has a long tradition as a slip clutch material. I should perhaps investigate into modifying the model for felt disc friction...

Any chance you could upgrade on the 3D printer? From the many difficulties described in this thread, I'm starting to feel like a spoiled child with my PRUSA i3 MK3s. I spent so much time making the model parametric and versatile for everybody and now it seems to turn out it only works on a (relatively) expensive printer that no one seems to be able or willing to afford. It's a bit frustrating.

:-(

_Mark

bert shivaan

Jul 5, 2020, 2:29:18 PM7/5/20
to OpenPnP
Mark I am not convinced it is the printer. I think it has to do with experience printing more so. Especially using the slicer and "tweeking" the settings.
My Ender 3 seems to print really well. The test prints supplied are works of art. To me this means the machine is able to print that well, I just need to learn how. I am not saying others here are new like me, Just that from a machine standpoint the hardware likely should work. Blobs and zits are problems with settings from what I understand. Now unless a direct drive is needed and a bowden setup is being used, really there should not be so many issues.

I have not been successful yet, but also have not tried too hard. I have played with your parameters a little and love them. I am able to make a small 1 lane print for testing stuff with and that is awesome!!

bert shivaan

Jul 5, 2020, 2:29:59 PM7/5/20
to OpenPnP
OOPs, I have only tried the blinds feeder, but I assume your high quality is in both places

ma...@makr.zone

Jul 6, 2020, 2:30:55 AM7/6/20
to ope...@googlegroups.com

Thanks, bert, for the uplift :-)

> Mark I am not convinced it is the printer. think it has to do with experience printing more so.

That's the thing: I'm not an experienced 3D printer. BlindsFeeder is my very first real creation, PushPull the second. The PRUSA just always worked. The only thing I had to figure out, really, was using the spray adhesive. And, like I said, the filament is very important for the friction properties (in the BlindsFeeder as well, btw).

I may have gained considerable knowledge about precision printing while retaining good speed, but never any "blobs/zits"or similar stuff. If I look at close-ups of some prints others do here in the group I must say it is often day and night...

> OOPs, I have only tried the blinds feeder, but I assume your high quality is in both places

No, the PushPullFeeder is much, much, much more advanced. :-)

_Mark

Gabe Balles

Jul 6, 2020, 3:01:08 AM7/6/20
to OpenPnP
Mark,

I think your design is really good. It works for you and I am an in awe of the amount of effort you must have put into it to parameterise it so it fits multiple implementations (and tape widths and profiles). The parametrisation alone makes it superior to many others (if not all) in attempting to make a universal feeder. I have come across many designs that look great for the designer's particular machine but then that's the end of the story. If they share it you must have the same setup if you want it to work for you.

In my setup:
- I use a 40x40 extrusion with T slots (not V)
- my camera sits "behind" the nozzles which means I needed extra clearance in Y movement to get to the feeders with it.
- Because of my dual nozzle (spring loaded) I had little Z travel so had to raise the "picking" plane of the feeder while keeping the lever short.
- I had to make the springs a bit stronger than in the default.

The fact that I have been able to change everything to suit my machine is amazing. Really reMarkable. I have printed 11 of them and I am trying to see if there's a way to salvage them due to this friction wheel issue. Even if the Dog/thorn do not move the tape on the first attempt, OpenPNP let's you set a desired number of attempts, so if it takes 2 or 3 from time to time I find it acceptable. The cover-tape winding is the pain point.

The latching mechanism is just perfect. The feeder is rock solid once latched.

Some observations
- See if there is a way to remove "friction" as a variable. Maybe the felt disc could replace the friction wheel but it would still make it variable... The counter part of the reel holder also applies a variable amount of friction on the outside of the spool I guess.
- I saw this feeder by Loonatec that uses the advance of the tape to wind the tape cover : https://loonatec.com/pnp-semi-automatic-feeder/  I know the linear movement will not match perfectly the circular distance of the cover tape in the spool (but probably after lots of components have been placed from that tape).
- I tried to take that idea into the PushPullFeeder design by making the tape spool's edge sprocket-like as there is a parameter in the design but it would still need a counter part to hold the tape in place so it does not sink. Unfortunately my lever is too close to the spool as well.. The edge of the spool also does not align with the tape holes.

Cheers,
Gabe

Juan-Antonio Søren E. Pedersen

Jul 6, 2020, 3:07:31 AM7/6/20
to OpenPnP
I'm becoming increasingly aware the print height vs. nozzle diameter vs. extrusion ( M92 Ex) step pr. mm.

When using a 0.6 mm nozzle, printen to low will make a good first lager adhesion, but may altså squish the filament making the everall print-dimensions differ.
Especially if the low print height continues throughout the print.

Printing with nilon, its difficult getting a good layer adhesion, if there is not enough heat, since the material needs a lot of heat to bond well.
The more liquet molten nilon you pour over the previous strings, the better it will make contact. A slight overlab between print lines, will course the filament to pour on to a slope of semi liquid filament packing the print into a solit part.

Michael Anton

Jul 6, 2020, 3:18:16 AM7/6/20
to OpenPnP
If your print dimensions are off with a low layer height, then you are probably over extruding, so you need to change the e-steps, or the flow rate multiplier.  Layer height shouldn't matter much at all to the final part dimensions.  Hotend ooze, usually determines the lowest practical layer height from my experience.  Most printers should be pretty good down to 0.05mm layers though.

Note that a 0.6mm nozzle would be considered fairly large for doing fine detailed parts.  I usually run a 0.35mm nozzle.

ma...@makr.zone

Jul 6, 2020, 4:30:16 AM7/6/20
to ope...@googlegroups.com

Thanks, Gabe.

There will always be the problem, that the cover tape spool needs some sort of slip clutch, ratchet or similar (if not controlled electronically).

I like the idea of dirt cheap feeders, where I can keep the reels loaded all the time. So a full electronic feeder is out of the question. The only "next step" solution I see, is mounting the feeder electronics on the head i.e. two motors/gears that are coupled to feeder cogs when the head is over it and two sensors, one seeing the sprocket hole, the other feeling the cover tape tension.

_Mark

Morpheus

Jul 6, 2020, 10:37:47 AM7/6/20
to OpenPnP
I must reconcile the fact, that now printing with 0.5 mm, the sheer beauty and precision compared to the 0.6 is breathtaking.

Printing with 0.28mm layer height and 0.47 width, the finesse is other worldly.

No clogging.

On my Bowden here, i retract 5 mm and prime 0.1mm2 without z jump. Costing set to 0.2mm2. No stringing, no blobs.

Ray

Jul 6, 2020, 11:42:53 AM7/6/20
to OpenPnP
3D printing mechanical parts always takes a bit of tweaking. There's just to many combinations of printers, filament, slicing, phase of the moon, etc. But all the parameters really make that a lot easier.

I've been very happy with my growing collection of PushPull feeders :)

20200706_083125.jpg

My machine is still in development, but here's a quick demo of the feeders in action (video is kind of loud)

Gabe Balles

Jul 8, 2020, 4:27:25 AM7/8/20
to OpenPnP
Hi Ray,

Good to see they work for you! They look pretty good! Same colour as mine but inverted :) What printer did you use?

I think I've managed to get somewhere with this Friction Wheel issue I was facing. I've decided to take a different approach which seems to work better for me. Having more contact points seems to help a lot. Because the inner side of the spool counterpart is not perfectly round there is always a couple (at least) of those protrusions that are slightly deforming it. Once the tension beats the friction it let's go like in the original design but because of the amount of contact points the movement seems more uniform.

Capture.PNG

I have printed this in PLA and have replaced 5 of them so far and they seem to behave.
I will report once I have done the remaining and tested properly.

Cheers,
Gabe

Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted

Ray

Jul 8, 2020, 11:24:50 AM7/8/20
to OpenPnP
I'm using an ATOM 2.0, but it's heavily modified at this point so it's very different than it was originally. It's not one I would recommended at this point, but it was a decent price for the quality years ago when they did their kickstarter thing.

I've had trouble with delta printers and accurate mechanical parts though. I'd definitely recommend a cartesian printer for mechanical work

printer.JPG

Ray

Jul 9, 2020, 3:22:45 PM7/9/20
to OpenPnP
I printed a 12mm tape version of the feeder and didn't have any issues or have to do any additional tweaking :)

12mm feeder.JPG

I'm having trouble getting it setup in openpnp however. The parts are every 8mm so the lever needs to be actuated twice for each part. I set the Part Pitch to 8mm and the Feed Pitch to 4mm, which I was assuming would make it actuate the lever twice, but it still only moves it once, so half the time it tries to pick between the parts.

Am I missing something?

I could setup the Push-Pull motion to move the lever twice, but I thought maybe it would be automatic since it has an input for the Part Pitch and Feed Pitch.

Thanks

ma...@makr.zone

Jul 10, 2020, 3:51:14 AM7/10/20
to ope...@googlegroups.com

> I printed a 12mm tape version of the feeder and didn't have any issues or have to do any additional tweaking :)

So cool!

> I'm having trouble getting it setup in openpnp however. The parts are every 8mm so the lever needs to be actuated twice for each part. I set the Part Pitch to 8mm and the Feed Pitch to 4mm, which I was assuming would make it actuate the lever twice, but it still only moves it once, so half the time it tries to pick between the parts.

Your assumption is correct. I don't understand why this shouldn't work, the code is simple:

            long feedsPerPart = (long)Math.ceil(getPartPitch().divide(getFeedPitch()));
            long n = getFeedMultiplier()*feedsPerPart;
            for (long i = 0; i < n; i++) {  // perform multiple feeds if required

If anything the ceil() would create too many actuations due to floating point inaccuracies.

Are you sure you pressed Apply?

Could you send me your machine.xml?

_Mark

ma...@makr.zone

Jul 10, 2020, 5:53:42 AM7/10/20
to ope...@googlegroups.com

Hi Ray

It just occurred to me that this might be the culprit. In the video I forgot to select the middle switch on Mid 3 Location:

https://youtu.be/5QcJ2ziIJ14?t=198

The middle lane of switches tell the feeder which segments to move back for multi-actuation i.e. there is no need for it to go all the way back to the start (no withdrawal/insertion to/from Safe Z needed).

But obviously if Mid 3 Location is missing it does nothing for the multi-actuations.

Sorry about that!

_Mark

Ray

Jul 10, 2020, 10:59:35 AM7/10/20
to OpenPnP
ah ha! That did it :)

That makes sense, good that you can set it to only redo the required moves.

Thanks!

My printer is currently printing parts for a 16mm tape feeder now. Have a lot of SOIC16 optos to place ;)

ma...@makr.zone

Jul 10, 2020, 12:00:40 PM7/10/20
to ope...@googlegroups.com

> My printer is currently printing parts for a 16mm tape feeder now. Have a lot of SOIC16 optos to place ;)

I keep my fingers crossed.

_Mark

Ray

Jul 10, 2020, 4:36:54 PM7/10/20
to OpenPnP
16mm tape feeder seems to be working out just as well mechanically :) It might be starting to push the limits for some of the smaller "tower" features of the print, but I've never needed tape any wider than this anyway.

16mm feeder side.JPG

16mm tape top.JPG

I'm having trouble setting up the feeder in openpnp though. The MaskCircle in the pipeline is too small to see the tape holes, which is fine and easy to fix, but the edited pipeline keeps getting overridden when I use the auto setup. I've tried unchecking "Clone Vision Settings?", though that may be only for the explicit "Clone from Template" action. If I edit the pipeline and use "Preview Vision Features" it finds the features and everything looks good, but when I run auto setup it fails and the pipeline has reverted to match the template feeders settings.

If I setup the template feeder's pipeline to use the larger MaskCircle diameter, then the 16mm feeder works fine, and so far I'm not seeing issue with the template 8mm feeder either, but I like the more restricted settings for the smaller tape.

Is it possible to have different pipelines for different feeders and still use the auto setup for alignment?

Thanks

ma...@makr.zone

Jul 11, 2020, 3:20:00 AM7/11/20
to ope...@googlegroups.com

Hi Ray

> 16mm tape feeder seems to be working out just as well mechanically :)

Exhaling! I'm glad this seems to work out!  I was a bit worried about the spring driving the ratchet (that doesn't grow in size/strength). Does the cover tape pulling resistance increase much with tape width? (I know that's probably hard to measure/judge)

> It might be starting to push the limits for some of the smaller "tower" features of the print, but I've never needed tape any wider than this anyway.

Some of them have holes, so you can add metal pins/screws to reinforce if needed on these large tape widths. But some have not, if one of those breaks, please report, maybe it can be improved.

> I'm having trouble setting up the feeder in openpnp though. The MaskCircle in the pipeline is too small to see the tape holes, which is fine and easy to fix, but the edited pipeline keeps getting overridden when I use the auto setup.

Ahhh... I must really find the time to document that on the Wiki. There is a switch "Use this one as template" that makes this feeder the "master" in  terms of setting among all those with the same package (by default, see below). When you are later adding a new feeder, or when you are using Auto Setup or cloning explicitly, this template is in effect.

So you switch it on and then change whatever settings you like (including the pipeline) and then redistribute the setting to the other feeders in the group.

I rudimentarily show this in the video here:

https://youtu.be/5QcJ2ziIJ14?t=404 (sorry about the stammering)

Note that the switches besides the large "Clone" button are only effective when you are pressing the button, not when you add a new feeder or use AutoSetup.

There is a "Tape Specification" on the Packages tab, that allows even larger grouping:

All the packages that have the same Tape Specification (it's just a string) are handled as one group with shared settings. So for instance I tag all the 8mm wide, 4mm pitch tapes as "8x4" and I only need to setup one template feeder for all variants of 0603, 0805 packages etc..

More background here:

https://github.com/openpnp/openpnp/pull/987#issuecomment-615184748

https://github.com/openpnp/openpnp/pull/987#issuecomment-616076897

_Mark

Ray

Jul 11, 2020, 2:45:08 PM7/11/20
to OpenPnP
> Exhaling! I'm glad this seems to work out!

Me too :) I did end up reprinting the tape insert a few times to get it right, after the initial success. The SOIC16 is quite wide so I had to tweak the file a bit to accommodate it. It needed a slightly deeper tape emboss then allowed by default (Made the bottom of the tape insert quite thin, but still seems fine) and I had to increase the angle of the top side of the emboss to get enough width for it (A bit of a steep incline for printing, but worked fine for me). I also ended up removing the Dog Thorn Groove (added a toggle for it) in the advance dog thorn area (kept it in the reverse blocking thorn area).

dog thorn.JPG

I started having issues with the tape not advancing because the thorn was carving a kind of groove into the thin plastic tape and was unable to grip it anymore. This is partly because I was running the same section multiple times for testing. But removing the dog groove recess didn't give the tape anyway to move out of the way and seems to have stopped the grip from slipping even in the already worn sections.

dog groove.JPG

It is a bit surprising because the dog fits so nicely in that groove when you just hold the parts together... Maybe the level of the part of the base plate that the advancement lever rides on for my prints is just a bit higher than the tape insert, making the dog not reach to the bottom of the groove when its all assembled? Hard to tell, and the tape is so thin it doesn't need much to slip beneath the dog.

> I was a bit worried about the spring driving the ratchet (that doesn't grow in size/strength). Does the cover tape pulling resistance increase much with tape width? (I know that's probably hard to measure/judge)

The resistance in the tape reeling mechanism does seem to increase with the larger width wheel, but it's very subtle and seems to match well with the larger tape. But I'll see after building a few broads if it has any issues. Some of my 8mm feeders seem to need just a touch more resistance on the tape reel to keep up with peeling the tape off, so I may end up adjusting that spring part a tiny bit, but overall it seems to work quite well for me.

> Some of them have holes, so you can add metal pins/screws to reinforce if needed on these large tape widths. But some have not, if one of those breaks, please report, maybe it can be improved.

Ah right, those pivot points seem pretty solid, but goo do have that option if needed. I guess the only real "tower" part is this tape cover guide part. But it doesn't have a lot of forces on it. Just have to not bump it...

tower.JPG

> Ahhh... I must really find the time to document that on the Wiki. There is a switch "Use this one as template" that makes this feeder the "master" in  terms of setting among all those with the same package (by default, see below). When you are later adding a new feeder, or when you are using Auto Setup or cloning explicitly, this template is in effect.

Oh cool, I hadn't noticed the Tape Specification column in packages, that's great :)

Now that I have the packages tape specs setup it's all mostly working. The only small issue I have is a bit of a chicken and egg thing. The first Push-Pull 16mm tape feeder I create still can't run the auto setup successfully. It knows that there are no matching tape specs for this package, but it pulls from my other 8x4 template feeder instead and prints a warning. This has the same effect of overriding my manual pipline edits when running auto setup.

template default.JPG

If I create two Push-Pull feeders using 16x12 tape spec parts, then I can edit the pipeline in one, and when I auto setup the other it grabs that new working pipeline. Then I can make one of them the template and everything is good from there. I think I have to use this order for setup since you can't run the auto setup when the feeder is marked as a template.

I'm not sure the best way to handle that. It seems as though if there is no tape spec match that it shouldn't try to pull data from another feeder definition and just use what has been manually configured for the new feeder, but then it wont pull the Push-Pull Motion positions, which are valid, and would have to be manually entered again... Maybe it should not pull any data automatically and instead you can use the clone button to get better starting values before manually editing it? Not sure how intuitive that is though...

ma...@makr.zone

Jul 16, 2020, 7:59:28 AM7/16/20
to ope...@googlegroups.com

Hi Ray

sorry to reply so late (on holidays :-)

> The only small issue I have is a bit of a chicken and egg thing.

That's exactly the thing here.  "Auto Setup" is really thought to be the very first action in a feeder's life. At that point the correct part is not yet know, as we are completely lazy and want OCR to grab it. With the part not yet known, you don't have the package much less the tape specification. So what the code does is just grab any one template (I think the one closest in X/Y) and clone the OCR pipeline from it, then try and recognize the part, then clone again from the right template. But the second clone will obviously fail if it is the "first of a kind".

You should not (have to) press Auto Setup after that initial go. The exact sprocket holes will be calibrated as needed using the same vision process.

If you moved/exchanged the feeder to a new location or informal "slot", just press the OCR button. It will calibrate the sprocket holes, OCR-recognize the part, and if a feeder with that part already exists, it will yank it to the new location. You can do it for all the feeders at once and it will reshuffle the feeders to their new locations, disable those that are not found anymore and create new ones as needed. This may still need a bit of practical testing though...

_Mark

It is loading more messages.