Synthetic Biology

1 view

Jennifer Gray

Feb 16, 2010, 7:32:47 PM2/16/10
to Ohio Skeptics
Eric Miller, a skeptic in Mansfield, sent this info to me. I thought
some of you may be interested. I may listen in and see what it's all
about.

Jeni:)

“SYN-BIO”

FREE CONFERENCE CALL

Thursday, February 18, 2010, 1:00 p.m., Eastern Standard Time

What is synthetic biology, and where is it headed? As it becomes more
accessible through programs such as bio-bricks, could genetically
modified bacteria or fungi adapt to life outside the laboratory and
impact our nature preserves? Are we even asking the right questions on
this topic? Dr. Gordon Campbell has agreed to answer our questions on
this topic so we can decide if further action is needed.

BIO

Our discussion leader, Dr. Gordon Campbell, received his PhD in
biology at MIT where he worked on the genetics of the symbiotic
relationship between Sinorhizobium meliloti and alfalfa. Currently he
is a postdoctoral fellow in the Department of Molecular and Cell
Biology at UC Berkeley. His research is on the genetics of neural
stem cell development. He is not a synthetic biologist and has no
vested interest in “syn-bio.”

After talking to “Gordon” (as he prefers to be called) we’ll decide if
we need to hold a seminar on this topic. Participants can ask
questions only of Gordon and only Gordon will be answering them. We
can have discussions among ourselves later.
CONTACT INFO

In order to listen in and submit questions, call (866)588-5787 (toll-
free). When prompted give the conference code: 4874606335. Try to
place the call a few minutes before 1:00 p.m. when the conference
begins. You may join or leave the call at any time. You are
encouraged to submit written questions in advance to
ericm...@kosinet.com. If you have any questions before the
conference begins, call Eric S. Miller at 419-522-6262 or write him at
the above email.

Sponsor of this event: North Central Ohio Land Conservancy, Inc.

Many thanks to SJ Cobb & Associates of Mansfield "No Risk Cost
Reduction Services" phone: 419-989-6255 for donating technical
support.

dmmaxwell

Mar 2, 2010, 5:49:43 AM3/2/10
to Ohio Skeptics
Did anyone attend this? I'd be interested to hear about it, if so.

Thanks,
-D.