Photographing instruments -- tips/tricks?

觀看次數:119 次
跳至第一則未讀訊息

Ryan Evans

未讀,
2021年12月7日 下午2:25:467/12/2021
收件者︰ obrien...@googlegroups.com
Ben Gormly's recent thread on his new beautiful tenor ukulele got me thinking more about how I photograph instruments, since that's my only way of sharing what I make with most of the world. And I realized... I don't know a whole lot about it.

For folks who have a photography setup that they like, I'd be curious to hear what that setup looks like, and any additional considerations you need to make to get the best results.

--Ryan

Also, apologies if this is off-topic for the list but I figured enough of us are in the same boat that it would be useful.

Ben Gormly

未讀,
2021年12月7日 下午10:14:177/12/2021
收件者︰ Robert O'Brien Guitar Building Forum
Hey Ryan. Thanks again for your kind words. As far as the photography set up goes; I started with a used Canon rebel t6. The cameras with the interchangeable lenses come in better quality.  I have since upgraded. I would recommend researching a few different DSLR cameras to find the one that will suit you best. The lenses are a bit more expensive through canon than say a Sony.
 The lens I was using was a 50mm f1.8 lens from Canon, known as the "nifty fifty". The smaller aperture (the f1.8 number) will let more light through the lens and add the blurred background effect. I feel like this really helps highlight things on the instrument.
 I bought a set of inexpensive soft/light boxes from Amazon, and a backdrop stand I found on ebay for like $20. You can find all kinds of backdrops, and some professional builders use paper rolls for a one and done use.
 The set up and lighting takes a bit of practice, and there are plenty of editing software and tutorials out there.
 I hope this helps. Karan is an amazing photographer, and could (if he's willing) offer much more insight than I.
Happy building!

Gregor331979

未讀,
2021年12月8日 下午1:22:568/12/2021
收件者︰ Robert O'Brien Guitar Building Forum
So coming from a bit of photography background I thought I’d comment on this thread.  Remember that it’s not just the camera we use it’s the lighting we choose for the images.  Ben has done a wonderful job of using lighting with a black background to show off the uke.  And using great depth of field to highlight what he is trying to portray in each image.  Not being sure what he used I’d guess that it is some kind of soft light that will wrap around the instrument. A hard light would just reflect to much on our usually glossy instruments and not be ideal.  You don’t need very expensive stuff to do this. You can even set something up in front of a large window and just use available light which would be  soft.    If you like there are many options on eBay or Amazon for inexpensive lighting setups for soft boxes and stands.  Where a DSLR as Ben is using gives many options for creating the look you want, any of todays phones would be able to do an acceptable job as well.

Now I’m still working on my first build I don’t have any images to show. Hopefully sooner than later it’ll be complete. I’m almost to the finishing part I have to make  the bridge next.

Hope this helps.

Greg

Robbie O'Brien

未讀,
2021年12月8日 下午3:14:468/12/2021
收件者︰ obrien...@googlegroups.com
Along these lines...

I have had several people ask me to do a course about photography for luthiers. I am not qualified in this area. So, if anyone knows of someone that is willing to put together a course on this subject and market it through my website, please contact me.

Robbie

O'Brien Guitars
obrienguitars.com

Keep track of the changes going on now at
O'Brien Guitars by signing up for my newsletter