General Information: web server enhancements

Joseph Picone

Jan 5, 2021, 10:42:16 AMJan 5
to nedc_tuh_eeg
First, we want to wish all of our users (3,948 now) a happy and safe
2021. 2020 was a challenging year for all of us, but hopefully 2021 will
be a much better year.

A number of you noticed our anonymous rsync server was not up on Dec.
31. Though downtime was longer than expected, we have completed
rebuilding the server in preparation for several important data
releases. Service was restored on Jan. 1 and things have been stable
since then.

We have upgraded our server to support more disk space and faster
downloads. This is in preparation for a major release of digital
pathology images.

Also, a number of our Windows users have been inquiring about the best
way to download data. For Mac and Linux users, we strongly recommend
rsync. The main reason for this is that transfers of large amounts of
data take a long time and you can often get disconnected. You can rerun
your rsync command and it picks up where you left off.

A typical command looks something like this:

rsync -auxvL ne...@www.isip.piconepress.com:data/tuh_eeg_seizure/v1.5.2/ .

The format of the command is:

rsync -auxvL ne...@www.isip.piconepress.com:<src> .

where <src> is the database or release you want to download, and "."
indicates that the data should be written to your current working
directory. Alternately, you can replace "." with any valid destination
path on your local machine.

What I have recently learned is that rsync now is part of MobaXterm,
which is a terminal tool we recommend for Windows. Once you download
MobaXterm, you can open a terminal session by clicking on the
appropriate button, and run the above rsync command. More details on
this will follow shortly.

-Joe

Joseph Picone

Jan 7, 2021, 1:56:28 AMJan 7
to nedc_tuh_eeg
> What I have recently learned is that rsync now is part of MobaXterm,
> which is a terminal tool we recommend for Windows. Once you download
> MobaXterm, you can open a terminal session by clicking on the
> appropriate button, and run the above rsync command. More details on
> this will follow shortly.

Here is a brief tutorial on one way to use rsync from Windows:

https://www.isip.piconepress.com/courses/temple/ece_1111/resources/tutorials/tips_mobaxterm/

Many of our Windows users have had trouble downloading large corpora via
Windows, so it is really nice that everyone can now use rsync.

There are several other ways to get rsync to work under Windows. Some of
these, such as running some form of Linux shell, are really useful and
good strategic solutions.

However, the MobaXterm approach is really simple and recommended for
those working mostly in Windows, especially if you are not familiar with
the command line.

-Joe