Publishing Narayana Commons library under EPL 2.0 license

Shashikant Mhatre

Jun 24, 2021, 3:16:58 AM6/24/21
to narayana-users
Narayana Commons is currently licensed under LGPL. This makes it impossible to use Commons in any form transitive or direct Inclusion of library in commercial projects, where only binaries are distributed in commercial form.
As EPL and LGPL are pretty similar in their requirements: Changes in the code have to be made available again. but with EPL, we don't have to open source the commercially available software that uses the library in transitive dependency.
Can this project include Dual license LGPL and EPL 2.0 for Commons library.

Michael Musgrove

Jun 24, 2021, 5:50:34 AM6/24/21
to narayana-users
I am by no means an expert in licensing but are we allowed to retrospectively change the licensing of files that are already LGPL?

Michael Musgrove

Jun 24, 2021, 6:35:48 AM6/24/21
to narayana-users
I am consulting with colleagues who do know something about licensing of open source software. I will update this thread when I have a more concrete response to your request.

Shashikant Mhatre

Jun 28, 2021, 7:09:40 AM6/28/21
to narayana-users
Thank you Michale, will wait for your update.

Shashikant Mhatre

Jul 8, 2021, 4:26:19 AM7/8/21
to narayana-users
Hello Michale,  can you please update on this request. Thank you.

Michael Musgrove

Jul 8, 2021, 8:11:44 AM7/8/21
to narayana-users
We are still assessing the appropriateness and feasibility of doing something in this area and when we reach a conclusion we will follow up with the community on our decision.
We are grateful to you for raising the topic and for your continued interest in Narayana.

Michael Musgrove

Jun 1, 2023, 9:28:04 AM6/1/23
to narayana-users
Hello,

We decided to choose the Apache-2 license, we hope that the terms of this license are satisfactory.

I made the announcement in the other thread https://groups.google.com/g/narayana-users/c/lMVDey4JB7o/m/msM8Vj1OBgAJ on this topic.