Chapter 18 ready for review

Matt Hinze

Jan 27, 2010, 7:12:03 AM1/27/10
to mvc2inacti...@googlegroups.com
Chapter 18 "AutoMapper" is ready for review.  It's a gentle introduction. Feedback, as always, greatly appreciated.
MVC2iA_CH_18.docx

Jag Reehal

Jan 27, 2010, 10:39:05 AM1/27/10
to mvc2inacti...@googlegroups.com
Hi Matt,

I'll have a proper look later, but here are a couple of things:

I would change the line 'tedious to write. Tedius to write and
expensive to maintain, error prone and brittle'

'tedious to write, expensive to maintain, error prone and brittle.'

Change straighforward to straigthforward

Cheers,

Jag

On Wed, Jan 27, 2010 at 12:12 PM, Matt Hinze <mhi...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Chapter 18 "AutoMapper" is ready for review.  It's a gentle introduction.
> Feedback, as always, greatly appreciated.
>

> --
> --------------------
> Please feel free to comment on the progress of the book, the content, and
> the code samples. All code and text is available on the book's GitHub site
> at http://github.com/jeffreypalermo/mvc2inaction. We hope developing this
> book out in the open and with your feedback makes it a great book for the
> community.

Peter Miller

Jan 28, 2010, 12:16:59 AM1/28/10
to mvc2inaction-discuss
Good chapter; the intro to AutoMapper was the right level of detail
for me.

Having written some hand rolled mapping code I know the pain; your
point about how brittle and tedious this is might be stronger (but
take more space) if you showed having to write the mapping back from
view model to domain model as well.

A minor point:
"We discussed in chapter 2 that some trivial applications may choose
to use persistent, domain model objects <to> as the data source for
views."

The <to> in this sentence does not really make sense. Could be dropped
completely.

Thanks for making this process public. I enjoyed the first edition.

On Jan 27, 6:12 am, Matt Hinze <mhi...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Chapter 18 "AutoMapper" is ready for review.  It's a gentle introduction.
> Feedback, as always, greatly appreciated.
>

>  MVC2iA_CH_18.docx
> 53KViewDownload

Wayne Tanner

Jan 31, 2010, 1:56:56 PM1/31/10
to mvc2inaction-discuss
My suggestions are listed below. Good, quick, intro to Automapper. I'm
looking forward to this book.

Bulleted list at beginning of chapter:
change duplicative to duplicate

Section 18.1
get rid of "to" from "domain model objects to as the data source"

Section 18.1.1 last sentence
change "depending on the domain model, by the user interface" to
"depending on the domain model and the user interface"

Paragraph below listing 18.4
change "It allows the view a change to work with the data" to "It
allows the view to work with the data"

Wayne

On Jan 27, 6:12 am, Matt Hinze <mhi...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Chapter 18 "AutoMapper" is ready for review.  It's a gentle introduction.
> Feedback, as always, greatly appreciated.
>

>  MVC2iA_CH_18.docx
> 53KViewDownload

Eddie Torrejon

Feb 16, 2010, 11:02:13 PM2/16/10
to mvc2inaction-discuss
Great work!

One question that I don't have a good answer to (this is related to
Peter Miller's question about domain models)
is whether or not AutoMapper should be used for mapping input models
back into domain objects for performing tasks.
If AutoMapper isn't the right tool for re-creating domain objects, it
would be good to mention along with alternatives. If AutoMapper is the
right
tool for this, a few examples (as Peter suggests) would be great.

I've heard differing opinions on using AutoMapper to create domain
objects and it'd be great to hear what you would suggest.
Apologies if you've already covered this in another chapter.

Cheers!

Eddie

Section 18.1.5 (trivial item):
"declaritive" should be "declarative" and "imperitive" should be
"imperative"