Re: MPL 2.0 published!

Alexis Richardson

Jan 3, 2012, 12:48:56 PM1/3/12
to Luis Villa, governance...@lists.mozilla.org, gover...@lists.mozilla.org
Congratulations!

<throws hat in the air>

On Tue, Jan 3, 2012 at 5:46 PM, Luis Villa <lu...@tieguy.org> wrote:
> Hi, mpl-update and governance lists-
>
> On behalf of the other maintainers, I'm excited to announce the publication
> of version 2.0 of the Mozilla Public License
> (html<http://www.mozilla.org/MPL/2.0/>,
> txt <http://www.mozilla.org/MPL/2.0/index.txt>). We hope that this license
> will serve its users (including Mozilla) well for the next decade, just as
> MPL 1.1 did.
>
> For those of you who have been following along throughout the process,
> there are no surprises in the text below, but I want to particularly
> highlight two things:
>
>   - the acknowledgements section, because this group (including both named
>   parties below, names I have forgotten, and people who contributed
>   semi-anonymously through co-ment) has been genuinely helpful and important
>   to the process, even when we have disagreed.
>    - the note on approval by the OSI and FSF. This is something I've
>   mentioned in passing, but have not discussed much, so it may count as news
>   even here. I believe that having this approval at publication time is a
>   first for a new license. (The OSI link is not live yet, but should be
>   shortly.)
>
> About the MPL
>
> **Just like version 1.1, version 2.0 of the Mozilla Public License is a
> "file-level copyleft" license. The license is designed to encourage
> contributors to share modifications they make to MPL-licensed code, while
> still allowing users to create projects that combine MPL-licensed code with
> code under other licenses (either open or proprietary).
>
> MPL 2.0, like MPL 1.1 before it, has been approved as a free software
> license by the Free Software
> Foundation<http://www.gnu.org/licenses/license-list.html#MPL-2.0>,
> and as an Open Source license by the Open Source
> Initiative<http://www.opensource.org/licenses/MPL-2.0>
> .
> What's New
>
> The result of a two year revision process that included feedback and
> suggestions from the Mozilla community, users of the MPL (both community
> and corporate), and the broader open source legal community, MPL 2.0
> contains several important changes from MPL 1.1. In particular, MPL 2.0:
>
>   - is simpler and shorter, using the past 10 years of in-practice
>   application of the license to help better understand what is and isn't
>   necessary in an open source license.
>   - is modernized for recent changes in copyright law, and incorporates
>   feedback from lawyers outside the United States on issues of applicability
>   in non-US jurisdictions.
>   - provides patent protections for contributors more in line with those
>   of other open source licenses, and allows an entire community of
>   contributors to protect any contributor if they are sued.
>   - provides compatibility with the Apache and GPL licenses, making code
>   reuse and redistribution easier.
>
> For a more complete list of changes, see the FAQ's entry on "what has
> [...]

Luis Villa

Jan 3, 2012, 12:46:37 PM1/3/12
to governance...@lists.mozilla.org, gover...@lists.mozilla.org

Till Jaeger

Jan 11, 2012, 4:52:14 AM1/11/12
to governance...@lists.mozilla.org
Dear Luis,

Thanks for your work! We have published a news article about the launch of
MPL 2.0:
http://www.ifross.org/artikel/mozilla-public-license-20-ver-ffentlicht

Best regards,

Till

--
Dr. Till Jaeger
Certified Copyright and Media Law Attorney

JBB Rechtsanwälte
Christinenstraße 18/19 | 10119 Berlin
Tel. +49.30.443 765 0 | Fax +49.30.443 765 22
www.jbb.de

JBB Rechtsanwälte Jaschinski Biere Brexl Partnerschaft
Sitz der Partnerschaftsgesellschaft: Berlin
Registergericht AG Charlottenburg | PR 609 B

Luis Villa

Jan 11, 2012, 9:28:10 PM1/11/12
to Till Jaeger, governance...@lists.mozilla.org
Thanks, Till! Much appreciated.

Mitchell Baker

Jan 13, 2012, 11:22:39 AM1/13/12
to governance...@lists.mozilla.org
Yes, thanks very much for spreading the knowledge

Mitchell