a quick update on our tools. Cross posting to dev-l10n to have more
visibility on some aspects (first part of the mail).
If you haven't checked the survey about snippets yet, please take a
look. Next week we plan to collect and analyze the available data
If you haven't localized the "Firefox Hello" project on Verbatim, you
really should take a look since it's an integral part of the user experience
About a year ago I added to the Webdashboard a section – called
“External Web Projects Status” – to track the status of external web
Example for Afrikaans:
The idea was to provide localizers with an overall view of all
web-related projects. All these projects were using Gettext files (.po)
as datasource, which is convenient: strings only have 3 states
(translated, untranslated, fuzzy), so it's easy to determine and display
the status of a localization.
The real data source for this table is provided by another tool, called
This tool clones repositories and analyze the available files,
extracting supported locales and creating localization stats for each of
them. That explain why:
* It might display different results compared to Verbatim, which uses
its own storage. If you don't commit to VCS, strings won't be
considered translated in Webstatus (but also on the actual
website/webapp). A locale might also be available in the repository
but not in Verbatim (it happened recently for SocialAPI and Dutch).
* It's set to run every 4 hours, and for that reason the time of last
update is always displayed somewhere near the data.
A few months ago the "Firefox Hello" project was added to Verbatim
Some of you might have noticed that this project wasn't listed on the
Webdashboard. The reason is that it's using a .properties file as
datasource instead of a Gettext file.
In the last 2 days I heavily rewrote Webstatus to add support for
.properties files, and improve the main view.
Given the size of the changes, it's likely to have bugs: if you find
any, please let me know.
Unfortunately Verbatim adds all missing strings (in English) to your
localized files, so all locales result as "complete".
I added an extra metric for these files ("Identical strings"): that
explains why you'll see two different shades of green. If you hover on a
bar in Webdashboard, the tooltip will give you more information.
Since the amount of information is becoming hard to display, I also put
a link to Webstatus under the table.