What LMS does each school use?

8 views
Skip to first unread message

Paul Seiler

unread,
Jul 7, 2009, 12:23:16 PM7/7/09
to MLE Reference Group
I have just finished compiling the LMS (and SMS) for each school in NZ
(according to the lists provided by vendors, searches to user groups
and other information from school leaders). Although incomplete and
with errors my count shows 472 (of 2,592 or 18%) schools with an LMS.
Please check out your own school (and others you know) to see if this
register is correct, as the data will help the Ministry decide on
investment priorities. The file is in the files area for our group and
the link is provided below.

Email me if you have questions or corrections
(paul....@minedu.govt.nz). I can only get this more accurate with
your help.

Paul.

File is at
http://mle-reference-group.googlegroups.com/web/SMS+and+LMS+for+release.xls?hl=en&gda=OBWeJ08AAACpqlNT4W9DMpIwJqK-sYAvmP9sC0cA9JJkxtXTh6ouA4oGZq_z_HnMT2DN4l3sGNmrxKt2-_U32w_GUNBmOM5845yMLzqmPGYUbW7dRNGHXA&gsc=NkslIAsAAABzxLP90o5xk2U3dRqLKkDy
Message has been deleted

Paul Seiler

unread,
Aug 5, 2009, 12:22:42 AM8/5/09
to MLE Reference Group
A status update on the (SMS and) LMS use by schools, with updates
based on school feedback from version 1. While not many changes to the
total number (478) quite a few corrections and changes. Thanks for the
feedback.

You can find the spreadsheet in the files area or use the link below.

http://10.8.32.92/ProgressMessages/SMS%20and%20LMS%20register%203%20August.xls?proxy=10.8.32.92&action=complete&index=280&id=6530442&filename=SMS%20and%20LMS%20register%203%20August.xls

Paul.

On Jul 8, 4:23 am, Paul Seiler <paul.sei...@minedu.govt.nz> wrote:
> I have just finished compiling the LMS (and SMS) for each school in NZ
> (according to the lists provided by vendors, searches to user groups
> and other information from school leaders). Although incomplete and
> with errors my count shows 472 (of 2,592 or 18%) schools with an LMS.
> Please check out your own school (and others you know) to see if this
> register is correct, as the data will help the Ministry decide on
> investment priorities. The file is in the files area for our group and
> the link is provided below.
>
> Email me if you have questions or corrections
> (paul.sei...@minedu.govt.nz). I can only get this more accurate with
> your help.
>
> Paul.
>
> File is athttp://mle-reference-group.googlegroups.com/web/SMS+and+LMS+for+relea...

Paul Seiler

unread,
Aug 5, 2009, 12:31:44 AM8/5/09
to MLE Reference Group
Sorry for the link not working, but I can not figure out how to remove
the progress part. OPlease go to the files area and find the most
recent file.

Paul.

On Aug 5, 4:22 pm, Paul Seiler <paul.sei...@minedu.govt.nz> wrote:
> A status update on the (SMS and) LMS use by schools, with updates
> based on school feedback from version 1. While not many changes to the
> total number (478) quite a few corrections and changes. Thanks for the
> feedback.
>
> You can find the spreadsheet in the files area or use the link below.
>
> http://10.8.32.92/ProgressMessages/SMS%20and%20LMS%20register%203%20A...
>
> Paul.
>
> On Jul 8, 4:23 am, Paul Seiler <paul.sei...@minedu.govt.nz> wrote:
>
>
>
> > I have just finished compiling the LMS (and SMS) for each school in NZ
> > (according to the lists provided by vendors, searches to user groups
> > and other information from school leaders). Although incomplete and
> > with errors my count shows 472 (of 2,592 or 18%) schools with an LMS.
> > Please check out your own school (and others you know) to see if this
> > register is correct, as the data will help the Ministry decide on
> > investment priorities. The file is in the files area for our group and
> > the link is provided below.
>
> > Email me if you have questions or corrections
> > (paul.sei...@minedu.govt.nz). I can only get this more accurate with
> > your help.
>
> > Paul.
>
> > File is athttp://mle-reference-group.googlegroups.com/web/SMS+and+LMS+for+relea...- Hide quoted text -
>
> - Show quoted text -

Angela Butterworth

unread,
Aug 5, 2009, 4:45:58 PM8/5/09
to mle-refer...@googlegroups.com

Thanks Paul for the update. I couldn’t help doing some maths and came up with:

Percentage of secondary schools (excluding composite) who use various LMSs:

Knowledgenet        22%

Moodle              80%

MyClasses           70%

Ultranet            22%

 

Quite an interesting dichotomy I thought….

Angela

-----Original Message-----

|From: mle-refer...@googlegroups.com [mailto:mle-reference-

|gr...@googlegroups.com] On Behalf Of Paul Seiler

|Sent: Wednesday, 5 August 2009 4:32 p.m.

|To: MLE Reference Group

|Subject: [MLE] Re: What LMS does each school use?

Davel

unread,
Aug 5, 2009, 4:56:35 PM8/5/09
to MLE Reference Group
My Count for Secondary Schools only

First Class 12 180 7%
KnowledgeNet 33 180 18%
Moodle 70 180 39%
MyClasses 21 180 12%
Scholaris 8 180 4%
Spike 1 180 1%
Ultranet 35 180 19%


On Aug 6, 8:45 am, "Angela Butterworth" <b...@eggs.school.nz> wrote:
> Thanks Paul for the update. I couldn't help doing some maths and came up
> with:
>
> Percentage of secondary schools (excluding composite) who use various
> LMSs:
>
> Knowledgenet        22%
>
> Moodle              80%
>
> MyClasses           70%
>
> Ultranet            22%
>
> Quite an interesting dichotomy I thought....

Angela Butterworth

unread,
Aug 5, 2009, 5:03:37 PM8/5/09
to mle-refer...@googlegroups.com

My percentages are how many secondary schools/how many total schools (excluding composite schools) are using each of the particular LMSs.

Ie Knowledgenet 33/147
Moodle 70/87
MyClasses 21/30
Ultranet 18/83

  

 

Angela

 

 

 

|-----Original Message-----

|From: mle-refer...@googlegroups.com [mailto:mle-reference-

|gr...@googlegroups.com] On Behalf Of Davel

|Sent: Thursday, 6 August 2009 8:57 a.m.

Davel

unread,
Aug 5, 2009, 5:09:34 PM8/5/09
to MLE Reference Group
Sorry not quite understanding. My count is that in total 180 Secondary
Schools are using a named LMS and so this is the figure each one
should be divided by?

Angela Longney

unread,
Aug 5, 2009, 11:37:51 PM8/5/09
to mle-refer...@googlegroups.com
Hi Angela



I am not quite sure how your figure of 18 instances of Ultranet was derived as the spreadsheet clearly shows that 35 secondary schools are registered as Ultranet using schools (and only one of these is a composite school). At the time that this snapshot was taken, this represented 42% of all Ultranet using schools.



I would not normally respond to the group in this manner but I do feel that it is important to correct the erroneous impression that you may have created that the Ultranet LMS is more suited to primary schools.



There is much activity happening in the LMS space and market share figures are increasing week by week. In the case of Ultranet alone, the total is now 96 schools, of which 39 (40%) are secondary schools. Please therefore be aware that the spreadsheet that Paul has supplied is just a snapshot at a moment in time and that market share is changing constantly for all vendors.



Angela Longney

Edtech/Ultranet


________________________________
winmail.dat

Viv Hall

unread,
Aug 6, 2009, 6:49:22 AM8/6/09
to mle-refer...@googlegroups.com
The issue around numbers, in reality is just that, a number.  Perhaps a more relevant discussion could centre around   " How many schools are effectively using their LMS "?  and what we can do to assist this?  Surely this group should be focussed on effective use, ways in which we can  assist in schoolwide use instead of just the 'early adopters', how schools and teachers can actively reflect on their teaching practice by using some of the digital tools that are available. 

Viv

Martin Hughes at home

unread,
Aug 6, 2009, 4:44:12 PM8/6/09
to mle-refer...@googlegroups.com

Excellent comments, Viv. While I do recognise the need to get a lot of the techno stuff right, I also feel it is imperative that we think long and hard about what enables/disables and encourages/discourages the EFFECTIVE use of LMS’s within school environments. So many conversations get side tracked into:

“Our LMS can do this”

“Our LMS only costs this much”

“You can make this and do that”

Etc etc etc

As we all now know, or should know by now – life is just not that simple. Even though a product “can do” a certain thing does not necessarily mean that it “will do” that thing with ease within a real school environment with real learners.

In addition, because effective uptake of LMS is not quite what it could be (and by that I mean upwards of 70% effective uptake by teachers in a typical school – not 0-20% uptake within a school) – we don’t have enough good stories and data to inform how we should build/shape/develop/implement an LMS and so the vacuum may then be filled by those with more technical knowledge than pedagogical understanding and the cycle continues. So many policy and developmental and policy decisions are taken (with regard to ICT) year after year after year – that may make perfect sense at a technical or management level – but, because the voice of the learner has been omitted, the end product is seriously lacking in basic usability and uptake features.

Once again, I would very strongly urge a face to face meeting around these issues – they are numerous and complex and we ignore them at our peril and risk wasting lots of time and money.

Cheers

Martin

 

Martin Hughes
CentreNet ICT PD Cluster Facilitator
Cell phone    021 2228364
Home phone   07 8593214
email martin...@orcon.net.nz

"It's so hard when I have to, and so easy when I want to"
Annie Gottlier


Adrian Gray

unread,
Aug 6, 2009, 4:49:02 PM8/6/09
to mle-refer...@googlegroups.com
mle-refer...@googlegroups.com writes:
>In addition, because effective uptake of LMS is not quite what it could
>be (and by that I mean upwards of 70% effective uptake by teachers in a
>typical school – not 0-20% uptake within a school)
Unfortunately this is often as a result of the initiative being driven by
the wrong person. An enthusiastic innovator will generate some interest
amongst peers, however unless the principal or their senior management
team believes in its effectiveness, it struggles to fly. If the effective
use of an LMS was part of the teacher appraisal process within a school, I
am sure a very different outcome of its use would ensue.

-----------------------------------------------------
Adrian Gray
Teacher - IT Administrator
Phone 027 228 1101

Martin Hughes at home

unread,
Aug 6, 2009, 5:07:53 PM8/6/09
to mle-refer...@googlegroups.com
Very true, Adrian - AND - we need to remember that ALL the planets have to
line up here - all that "Scarcity model" of thinking within schools will not
help here. For example, I believe that the following are the minimum factors
that need to be in place for any chance of effective uptake to happen:

An enthusiastic innovator (As Adrian says)
A great teacher (not always the same as enthusiastic innovator)
Appropriate resourcing - TIME! - and time provided over a long period time
An excellent product that is very, very easy to use - if you need a manual
and heaps of documentation and videos to learn how to use the product - can
I suggest that it probably won't fly?
Lots of celebration/show and tell within and between schools
Inbuilt capacity to share resources between schools - no more than 3 mouse
clicks
Teaching students how to use it by a specialist
Linking the teaching of LMS with effective pedagogy at every step - so that
it does not sound like a technical thing - it's a teaching a learning tool!
A consistent and effective method of teaching users how to use the LMS
Leadership (not just half hearted support) from Senior Management
Multiple exposures to the pedagogical benefits of LMS use (eg one to one,
some full staff, curriculum groups, departmental groups)
Voice of the student learner and teacher learner regularly sought, listened
to and acted upon, in terms of the development of both product and
implementation process
The influence of any technical/ICT people to be balanced out at all times,
by the voices of our learners

Cheers
Martin

Martin Hughes
CentreNet ICT PD Cluster Facilitator
Cell phone 021 2228364
Home phone 07 8593214
email martin...@orcon.net.nz

"It's so hard when I have to, and so easy when I want to"
Annie Gottlier

-----Original Message-----
From: mle-refer...@googlegroups.com
[mailto:mle-refer...@googlegroups.com] On Behalf Of Adrian Gray
Sent: Friday, 7 August 2009 8:49 a.m.
To: mle-refer...@googlegroups.com
Subject: [MLE] Re: What LMS does each school use?


mle-refer...@googlegroups.com writes:
>In addition, because effective uptake of LMS is not quite what it could
>be (and by that I mean upwards of 70% effective uptake by teachers in a
>typical school - not 0-20% uptake within a school)

Wayne Mackintosh

unread,
Aug 6, 2009, 5:37:29 PM8/6/09
to mle-refer...@googlegroups.com
Hi Everyone,

Effective technology adoption in education is a complex but very rewarding endeavour when we get this right.  Especially when we think about the potential to transform the learning experience in a qualitative way irrespective of the tools we choose to use.

Very often, in a resource constrained environment like education (taking into account the time pressures we all face) it helps to be working smarter rather than harder :-)

The most significant investment in terms of cost and time associated with the implementation of LMSs can be attributed to the learning resources we use within our preferred delivery/teaching technology. Clearly -- finding ways to share NZ-based learning resources across our platforms is a great way to work smarter.  Clearly the OER approach will help us in working more effectively.

The caveat of course is to design and develop learning resources in ways which facilitate content interoperability without increasing the transaction cost (time) when referencing OERs from our own LMSs.

An open question -- Is there any way I can get legal access to a demonstration installation of all the approved LMS systems. I'm familiar with the Moodle system, but have very little knowledge of the other systems. I would like to see how learning resources are deployed in each of these systems so that we can ensure that New Zealand's national OER collaboration develops materials in ways that can be used equally well in all of our delivery systems.

Cheers
Wayne



2009/8/7 Martin Hughes at home <martin...@orcon.net.nz>



--
Wayne Mackintosh, Ph.D.
Director,
International Centre for Open Education,
Otago Polytechnic, New Zealand.
Board of Directors, OER Foundation.
Founder and Community Council Member, Wikieducator, www.wikieducator.org
Mobile +64 21 2436 380
Skype: WGMNZ1
Twitter: OERFoundation, Mackiwg

Julian Davison

unread,
Aug 6, 2009, 5:38:08 PM8/6/09
to mle-refer...@googlegroups.com
That looks like a good list of factors to me.
While I am a technical person and believe that making decisions
about this kind of thing absolutely has to include the input of
technical folk at the end of the day it's all about teaching.

An LMS needs to help rather than hinder the learning process. This
means staff need to be able to do the things they need to swiftly
and easily. Students need to be able to pick up what they need to
do without constant explanation of how it works.

The best software is created by experts. Teachers are the teaching
experts, developers are the software experts and neither will achieve
the desired goal by themselves.

Martin Hughes at home

unread,
Aug 6, 2009, 5:45:08 PM8/6/09
to mle-refer...@googlegroups.com
Totally correct, Julian - my point was not that well explained I guess -
decisions taken in absence of technical input can be just as terrible as
decisions taken without the voice of the learners - remembering that there
are many more learners than technical people in a school - and also,
remembering that although some learners may not quite know the right jargon
or questions to ask - we have to listen extra carefully to their concerns
and suggestions if we are to all move forward together:)
M

Julian Davison

unread,
Aug 6, 2009, 5:46:08 PM8/6/09
to mle-refer...@googlegroups.com
Wayne Mackintosh wrote:
[snip]

> The most significant investment in terms of cost and time associated
> with the implementation of LMSs can be attributed to the learning
> resources we use within our preferred delivery/teaching technology.
> Clearly -- finding ways to share NZ-based learning resources across our
> platforms is a great way to work smarter. Clearly the OER approach will
> help us in working more effectively.
>
> The caveat of course is to design and develop learning resources in ways
> which facilitate content interoperability without increasing the
> transaction cost (time) when referencing OERs from our own LMSs.

Ooh, a national repository that can be browsed from within an LMS?
So when adding resources to your course you can explore those that
are in your LMS inline with the national repository. Selecting
one will, if necessary, import it into your LMS so you can use it?

> An open question -- Is there any way I can get legal access to a
> demonstration installation of all the approved LMS systems. I'm familiar
> with the Moodle system, but have very little knowledge of the other
> systems. I would like to see how learning resources are deployed in each
> of these systems so that we can ensure that New Zealand's national OER
> collaboration develops materials in ways that can be used equally well
> in all of our delivery systems.

I'm not a vendor of any of the systems, but as a potential client
I've generally found they're happy to provide some kind of test
access so I can evaluate the product.
If you're not a competitor they should welcome feedback :-)


J,

Martin Hughes at home

unread,
Aug 6, 2009, 5:54:06 PM8/6/09
to mle-refer...@googlegroups.com

Hi Wayne

I’d happily give you access to our cluster LMS and talk u thru it if u like. We are 5 schools and we have 8 curriculum groups who meet once per term each and make resources that are then shared between our schools. We use KnowledgeNet as you can copy/paste/edit between schools with only 2 or 3 mouse clicks – and we chose this for a host of other reasons also – some of them covered in my earlier email today. Our next plan is to embark on a national sharing model – KN already has this functionality – we (teachers) just need to catch upJ

M

 

Martin Hughes
CentreNet ICT PD Cluster Facilitator
Cell phone    021 2228364
Home phone   07 8593214
email martin...@orcon.net.nz

"It's so hard when I have to, and so easy when I want to"
Annie Gottlier

Wayne Mackintosh

unread,
Aug 6, 2009, 6:25:48 PM8/6/09
to mle-refer...@googlegroups.com
Julian wrote:

Ooh, a national repository that can be browsed from within an LMS?
So when adding resources to your course you can explore those that
are in your LMS inline with the national repository. Selecting
one will, if necessary, import it into your LMS so you can use it?

Absolutely! That's the idea. A national repository of free content resources (Open Education Resources) developed by New Zealand teachers for New Zealand teachers. These resources will use Creative Commons licenses which means you will also be free to adapt and modify the content without restriction to suit the needs of your own teaching style and student context :-)

We will also provide free training to every teacher in New Zealand who wants to learn how to develop OER using collaborative authoring models.

The Ministry of Education is helping out with a little seed funding to launch a national OER initiative for New Zealand schools -- You can find out more from the draft portal page on WikiEducator. You're also invited to help us co-design the project :-) See:

http://wikieducator.org/New_Zealand_Schools_OER_Portal

Currently, the copyright of all materials developed by teachers belongs to the Board of Trustees. Trevor Storr over at Aorakinet is working on developing a draft policy example which Board's of Trustees can consider for implementation. This will essentially mean that copyright can be seeded to individual authors, but licensed using a Creative Commons license that will permit sharing and reuse across New Zealand schools.


Julian wrote:

I'm not a vendor of any of the systems, but as a potential client
I've generally found they're happy to provide some kind of test
access so I can evaluate the product.
If you're not a competitor they should welcome feedback :-)

Thanks for the pointer. The OER Foundation as an independent non-profit is definitely not a competitor (nor are we potential customer of an LMS).  We hope to help all LMS vendors achieve their objectives using OER. Our mission in life is to help educators return to the core value of education, namely to share knowledge freely.

Cheers
Wayne




2009/8/7 Julian Davison <jul...@tech.cbhs.school.nz>

Wayne Mackintosh wrote:
[snip]
> The most significant investment in terms of cost and time associated
> with the implementation of LMSs can be attributed to the learning
> resources we use within our preferred delivery/teaching technology.
> Clearly -- finding ways to share NZ-based learning resources across our
> platforms is a great way to work smarter.  Clearly the OER approach will
> help us in working more effectively.
>
> The caveat of course is to design and develop learning resources in ways
> which facilitate content interoperability without increasing the
> transaction cost (time) when referencing OERs from our own LMSs.


> An open question -- Is there any way I can get legal access to a
> demonstration installation of all the approved LMS systems. I'm familiar
> with the Moodle system, but have very little knowledge of the other
> systems. I would like to see how learning resources are deployed in each
> of these systems so that we can ensure that New Zealand's national OER
> collaboration develops materials in ways that can be used equally well
> in all of our delivery systems.

I'm not a vendor of any of the systems, but as a potential client
I've generally found they're happy to provide some kind of test
access so I can evaluate the product.
If you're not a competitor they should welcome feedback :-)


J,


Wayne Mackintosh

unread,
Aug 6, 2009, 6:28:28 PM8/6/09
to mle-refer...@googlegroups.com
Hi Martin,

Thanks -- I would really appreciate this -- as long as I'm not transgressing any privacy issues. 

Are you planning to use Creative Commons licensing that will permit and encourage greater sharing nationally? I'm more than happy to walk you through the pros and cons of different creative commons licensing alternatives.

Martin Hughes at home

unread,
Aug 6, 2009, 6:40:37 PM8/6/09
to mle-refer...@googlegroups.com

Hi Wayne

We don’t bother with any copyright stuff as yet – we just have an agreement that if teachers put stuff on our LMS clusterzone, then it can be used by anyone. The idea of training people up with regard to copyright and all the admin that that may or may not involve, does not really appeal. Worse than that, I can see it being a real barrier to uptake and sharing. We’d rather develop our culture of 100% sharing with anyone, anywhere with no fuss. Our cluster groups realise that by sharing more, we actually end up working less – also, that we all have a common goal – to lift the achievement levels of all students.

Having said all that, I can see that creative commons licensing is totally awesome and may become necessary for us sometime – my (very limited) understanding, however, is that because all of our resources are within a password protected intranet, the requirement for copyright stuff is a whole lot less???

Cheers

M

PS r u on skype so we can work thru arrangements to look our resources etc?

Wayne Mackintosh

unread,
Aug 6, 2009, 7:05:41 PM8/6/09
to mle-refer...@googlegroups.com
Hi Martin,

I hear what you're saying about the extra transaction costs associated with managing copyright. Its complicated stuff riddled with minefields. That said, we need to be mindful of copyright infringements. Legally speaking you would need to get written permissions in place for all the resources you are sharing across the clusterzone from the copyright holders, including the odd all rights reserved image downloaded from Google and included in learning materials on the LMS ;-). 

I don't want to be the bearer of bad news -- so please don't shoot the messenger ;-) I'm afraid that the fact that your resources are behind a password does not necessarily cover you from copyright infringement :-(. There are exceptions for materials covered by the CLA --- assuming your cluster pays for this privilege. That said, it is certainly possible that there are a number of materials hosted in the LMS which are not covered by the CLA and hence expose you to the risk of infringement.

You're right Creative Commons is awesome. It's based on a philosophy of permissions rather than a culture of policing copyright. So this is certainly something you can think about for new materials you're creating.

I'll be on and off Skype today -- My handle is WGMNZ1. I forgot my headset @ home today, so if we can get this done via Skype chat -- cool.

Paul Seiler

unread,
Aug 7, 2009, 3:33:03 AM8/7/09
to MLE Reference Group
Good to see the discussion touch on copyright and timely, given the
work of Trevor et al.

Wayne and Trevor, maybe it would be hlepful to create two pages linked
from the portal or planning page (http://wikieducator.org/
New_Zealand_Schools_OER_Portal ), one ofr the draft policy and one for
the background information. This way people can select the one they
are best placed to contribute to and make edits.

Maybe we can get a little help from the Creative Commons Aoteroa New
Zealand people? http://www.creativecommons.org.nz/

I can feel an educative role here, but one that we all need to engage
with gently rather than heavily.

Paul.

, in the NZ part of WikiEducatorOn Aug 7, 11:05 am, Wayne Mackintosh
<mackintosh.wa...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Martin,
>
> I hear what you're saying about the extra transaction costs associated with
> managing copyright. Its complicated stuff riddled with minefields. That
> said, we need to be mindful of copyright infringements. Legally speaking you
> would need to get written permissions in place for all the resources you are
> sharing across the clusterzone from the copyright holders, including the odd
> all rights reserved image downloaded from Google and included in learning
> materials on the LMS ;-).
>
> I don't want to be the bearer of bad news -- so please don't shoot the
> messenger ;-) I'm afraid that the fact that your resources are behind a
> password does not necessarily cover you from copyright infringement :-(.
> There are exceptions for materials covered by the CLA --- assuming your
> cluster pays for this privilege. That said, it is certainly possible that
> there are a number of materials hosted in the LMS which are not covered by
> the CLA and hence expose you to the risk of infringement.
>
> You're right Creative Commons is awesome. It's based on a philosophy of
> permissions rather than a culture of policing copyright. So this is
> certainly something you can think about for new materials you're creating.
>
> I'll be on and off Skype today -- My handle is WGMNZ1. I forgot my headset @
> home today, so if we can get this done via Skype chat -- cool.
>
> Cheers
> Wayne
>
> 2009/8/7 Martin Hughes at home <martin.hug...@orcon.net.nz>
>
> >  Hi Wayne
>
> > We don’t bother with any copyright stuff as yet – we just have an agreement
> > that if teachers put stuff on our LMS clusterzone, then it can be used by
> > anyone. The idea of training people up with regard to copyright and all the
> > admin that that may or may not involve, does not really appeal. Worse than
> > that, I can see it being a real barrier to uptake and sharing. We’d rather
> > develop our culture of 100% sharing with anyone, anywhere with no fuss. Our
> > cluster groups realise that by sharing more, we actually end up working less
> > – also, that we all have a common goal – to lift the achievement levels of
> > all students.
>
> > Having said all that, I can see that creative commons licensing is totally
> > awesome and may become necessary for us sometime – my (very limited)
> > understanding, however, is that because all of our resources are within a
> > password protected intranet, the requirement for copyright stuff is a whole
> > lot less???
>
> > Cheers
>
> > M
>
> > PS r u on skype so we can work thru arrangements to look our resources etc?
>
> > Martin Hughes
> > CentreNet ICT PD Cluster Facilitator
> > Cell phone    021 2228364
> > Home phone   07 8593214
> > email martin.hug...@orcon.net.nz
>
> > "It's so hard when I have to, and so easy when I want to"
> > Annie Gottlier
> >   ------------------------------
>
> > *From:* mle-refer...@googlegroups.com [mailto:
> > mle-refer...@googlegroups.com] *On Behalf Of *Wayne Mackintosh
> > *Sent:* Friday, 7 August 2009 10:28 a.m.
>
> > *To:* mle-refer...@googlegroups.com
> > *Subject:* [MLE] Re: What LMS does each school use?
>
> > Hi Martin,
>
> > Thanks -- I would really appreciate this -- as long as I'm not
> > transgressing any privacy issues.
>
> > Are you planning to use Creative Commons licensing that will permit and
> > encourage greater sharing nationally? I'm more than happy to walk you
> > through the pros and cons of different creative commons licensing
> > alternatives.
>
> > Cheers
> > Wayne
>
> > 2009/8/7 Martin Hughes at home <martin.hug...@orcon.net.nz>
>
> > Hi Wayne
>
> > I’d happily give you access to our cluster LMS and talk u thru it if u
> > like. We are 5 schools and we have 8 curriculum groups who meet once per
> > term each and make resources that are then shared between our schools. We
> > use KnowledgeNet as you can copy/paste/edit between schools with only 2 or 3
> > mouse clicks – and we chose this for a host of other reasons also – some of
> > them covered in my earlier email today. Our next plan is to embark on a
> > national sharing model – KN already has this functionality – we (teachers)
> > just need to catch upJ
>
> > M
>
> > Martin Hughes
> > CentreNet ICT PD Cluster Facilitator
> > Cell phone    021 2228364
> > Home phone   07 8593214
> > email martin.hug...@orcon.net.nz
>
> > "It's so hard when I have to, and so easy when I want to"
> > Annie Gottlier
> >   ------------------------------
>
> > *From:* mle-refer...@googlegroups.com [mailto:
> > mle-refer...@googlegroups.com] *On Behalf Of *Wayne Mackintosh
> > *Sent:* Friday, 7 August 2009 9:37 a.m.
>
> > *To:* mle-refer...@googlegroups.com
> > *Subject:* [MLE] Re: What LMS does each school use?
> >  2009/8/7 Martin Hughes at home <martin.hug...@orcon.net.nz>
> > email martin.hug...@orcon.net.nz
> ...
>
> read more »

NELLIE DEUTSCH

unread,
Aug 7, 2009, 8:51:08 AM8/7/09
to mle-refer...@googlegroups.com
The discussion on effective use of LMS is of great importance. However, evaluation is another issue. You may find the following article of interest: http://www.ambriana.com/MBAA_2008_BB_metric_paper_Janossy.pdf
Warm wishes,
Nellie Deutsch
http://www.nelliemuller.com
Doctoral Student
Educational Leadership
Curriculum and Instruction
Get ready for CO10: http://connecting-online.ning.com/
Free online workshops on WikiEducator: http://www.wikieducator.org/Workshops

Viv Hall

unread,
Aug 7, 2009, 3:27:45 PM8/7/09
to mle-refer...@googlegroups.com
Excellent point Adrian
The most effective LMS uptake is where the senior management team is committed to implementation in terms of professional development support for all staff, supporting the 'innovators' and even utilising teacher appraisal. 
Two good examples of this are ePortfolio use at Bucklands Beach Intermediate School, as described on Ian's website
http://www.ian.fox.co.nz/   and  school wide use of an LMS at Mount Albert Grammar http://www.mags.school.nz/Section?Action=View&Section_id=656
Also important to note is that this is  a journey and not something that happens 'overnight'.
I'd be interested to hear of other examples.
:-)
Viv

Wayne Mackintosh

unread,
Aug 7, 2009, 7:50:28 PM8/7/09
to mle-refer...@googlegroups.com
Hi Paul,

Great suggestion to add a link to Trevor's work on the draft policy for Creative Commons licensing on the portal page (http://www.wikieducator.org/New_Zealand_Schools_OER_Portal). Thanks for the idea.

I've added this to the list of suggestions for the portal page, with proper attribution :-), see:
 
http://tinyurl.com/mkosfg

I'll keep track of all the suggestions and invite all members of the MLE list to post their thoughts ideas and suggestions on the wiki or this list. This is a project designed by teachers for teachers and we need your help with the planning for our launch of the portal page later this year.

http://www.wikieducator.org/New_Zealand_Schools_OER_Portal/Planning

Cheers
Wayne



2009/8/7 Paul Seiler <paul....@minedu.govt.nz>
Founder and Community Council Member, Wikieducator, www.wikieducator.org

Gil Hunter

unread,
Aug 10, 2009, 12:16:01 AM8/10/09
to mle-refer...@googlegroups.com

We started by choosing staff “early adopters” to trial the LMS so we could identify any issues that might arise as these staff will progress through the process so much faster than “normal” staff. This small group then trialled processes with their classes and met regularly to discuss issues that arose.

 

In this way, we decided to move away from Moodle as, although staff found it flexible and useful with students, the burdensome aspect of uploading files was a real disincentive.

 

We have now chosen to go with First Class www.firstclass.com  Although, it does not have all the testing/assessment functionality of other LMS,  it unifies mail, calendaring, conferences, document storage, collaboration; it will also allow us to integrate our phone system for voice messaging. Aggregation of calendars allows each student’s calendar to display items from every one of their classes. This same calendar will be made available to parents interested in assessments and homework set.

 

A work in progress.

 

Gil Hunter

HOD IT & Network Manager

St Patrick’s College Silverstream

 

From: Viv Hall [mailto:nzvi...@gmail.com]
Sent: Saturday, 8 August 2009 7:28 a.m.
To: mle-refer...@googlegroups.com
Subject: [MLE] Re: What LMS does each school use?

 

Excellent point Adrian

Reply all
Reply to author
Forward
0 new messages