ePortfolios in NZ

Jamin Lietze

Jan 17, 2010, 4:06:27 PM1/17/10
to MLE Reference Group
Hi all!

It is my desire to establish a network with those who are using
ePortfolios this year as a tool to enhance teaching and learning. I
hope that together we can share good practice, research findings, our
journey, etc.

You can find information on my journey at http://lietze.edublogs.org/category/eportfolios/
I am in my 2nd year of rolling ePortfolios out in my school with the
emphasis on the LEARNING PROCESS.

So if this interests you leave a reply here in this Google group and
lets see how we can support one another!

Jamin :+)
ePortfolio Team Leader
ICT Lead Teacher
Bethlehem College
Tauranga

Jan-Marie Kellow

Jan 17, 2010, 4:13:55 PM1/17/10
to mle-refer...@googlegroups.com
At Opoutere School we are going to start using e-portfolios this year. We plan to use KnowledgeNET.

Jan-Marie Kellow

Inquiring Mind.Co Educational Consultancy
www.inquiringmind.co.nz

Jan 17, 2010, 4:29:11 PM1/17/10
to mle-refer...@googlegroups.com
Hi Jamin,
I am and have been a bit of a lurker in this area for awhile now.
MoE has run some trials with Mahara as you are probably aware?
There are some schools not using a formal ePortfolio system but still doing
ePortfolio work.

Two areas I am working with at the moment are:
One is the Virtual Learning Network Communities (VLNC)
http://www.virtuallearning.school.nz and I know that some of them are or will
be using ePortfolios more this year.

I am working with ESOL within the MoE on a contract that will have
ePortfolios as part of that work

Happy to have a chat with you about those two things and other stuff that
might be of interest?

Kia Ora
Eddie Reisch
Virtual Learning Network
email: eddie....@minedu.govt.nz
Web Site: http://www.virtuallearning.school.nz
DDI: 04 463 7052
027 2781164
Help Line: 0800 422 599

Jan 20, 2010, 3:07:57 AM1/20/10
to MLE Reference Group
Hi Jamin

I'm keen to hook into an e-Portfolio network. We're implementing
Mahara this year and I'm interested to find out what others are doing
with e-Portfolios.

Cheers
Regan
Bethlehem School

On Jan 18, 10:06 am, Jamin Lietze <j_lie...@yahoo.co.nz> wrote:
> Hi all!
>
> It is my desire to establish a network with those who are using
> ePortfolios this year as a tool to enhance teaching and learning. I
> hope that together we can share good practice, research findings, our
> journey, etc.
>

> You can find information on my journey athttp://lietze.edublogs.org/category/eportfolios/

Jamin Lietze

Jan 23, 2010, 1:01:10 AM1/23/10
to MLE Reference Group
Jan-Marie, Eddie and Regan - thanks for replying. I look forward to
networking with you guys. I am interested to know for what purpose you
are setting up ePortfolios in your school? I know there are a range of
different reasons why schools are using ePortfolios. What is yours?
Here is our current (rather formal) statement of purpose (sorry I have
just cut and pasted it in):

"The purpose of implementing ePortfolios in Bethlehem College (http://
www.beth.school.nz) is to develop greater student engagement,
understanding and ownership of the learning process.

It is our aim to establish ePortfolios that will:
1) Encourage reflective thinking and goal setting.
2) Strengthen self-identity through celebrating successes.
3) Magnify the accomplishments and needs of the leaner and so promote
personalised learning.
4) Enhance accurate teaching through formative assessment.
5) Give greater opportunities to build a stronger and wider learning
support team for the student that would include teacher, family
members and other knowledgeable peers.
6) Stimulate collaborative learning through the sharing of learning
artifacts.
7) Raise academic achievement.

The portfolio will include the students’ chosen artifacts and will
show the processes they go though as part of the learning process. For
example; early ideas/stages, goals, work samples, reflections,
changes, finished products, etc.

The ePortfolio will in turn also provide a dynamic and up-to-date,
24/7 resource bank of a student’s learning for information,
accreditation and accountability purposes."

NOTE: I have shifted blog sites. Here is my new address: http://lietze.org/?cat=12

regans

Jan 23, 2010, 3:54:43 PM1/23/10
to MLE Reference Group
Hi

You've summed up a great range of reasons in your school's statement
of intent which covers lots of bases that we're aiming for too. The
short version of my vision for e-portfolios are Bethlehem School are
to:
* engage kids in their learning;
* encourage reflective thinking;
* foster home-school partnership and parents'/caregivers' involvement
in their kids' learning; and
* encourage use of ICTs in an authentic and purposeful context to
support learning.
It's a bit of a work in progress at the moment and I hope to document
better the outcomes as we progress through our journey of implementing
them. I'm planning to built a wiki as a way of defining what e-
portfolios are, their purpose and how we use them (examples and how to
guides) to communicate with other members of our staff. But that's a
next step!

Cheers
Regan

On Jan 23, 7:01 pm, Jamin Lietze <j_lie...@yahoo.co.nz> wrote:
> Jan-Marie, Eddie and Regan - thanks for replying.  I look forward to
> networking with you guys. I am interested to know for what purpose you
> are setting up ePortfolios in your school? I know there are a range of
> different reasons why schools are using ePortfolios. What is yours?
> Here is our current (rather formal) statement of purpose (sorry I have
> just cut and pasted it in):
>

> "The purpose of implementing ePortfolios in Bethlehem College (http://www.beth.school.nz) is to develop greater student engagement,

Richard Jones

Jan 24, 2010, 3:05:51 AM1/24/10
to mle-refer...@googlegroups.com
Hello all

I'm also very keen to learn more, implement and trial e-portfolios -
in particular Mahara/Moodle integration for many of the same reasons
outlined here. I'm happy to share thoughts and experiences via the
proposed wiki as we trial it here.

Richard Jones
The Southport School

> --

Richard Jones
ric...@ib-computing.com

Craig McDonald

Jan 25, 2010, 3:40:55 PM1/25/10
to mle-refer...@googlegroups.com
Hi Jamin
I'm interested in following what you are doing. I have been playing around
with Mahara and was interested to see your preference. We are on an IT
contract this year, so hopefully will develop eportfolio's schoolwide
through this.
Craig

Jan 26, 2010, 5:25:19 PM1/26/10
to mle-refer...@googlegroups.com
Hi all!

I have been following your discussion for a few months, and thought I would join in.

I will be in New Zealand on March 9-22, 2010. My goal is to collect stories/case studies for my book on Interactive Portfolios, and to soak up the philosophy that seems to be evident from what I am reading about ePortfolios in New Zealand schools. In addition, I am forming a Global Network of K-12 students using ePortfolios as PLE (Personal Learning Environment). I am doing training for a few New York City Schools in the next two months, attending an International Schools conference in Mumbai in February, and have already visited a school in Istanbul, where students in grades 4-5 are constructing e-portfolios and creating digital stories.

I am forming the details of the network as we speak. I would be interested in hearing from schools that would like to have their students share their portfolios with students in other countries. I realize that there are differences in school calendars, so I am looking at students sharing working/learning portfolios not just summative/year-end portfolios.

I am also impressed with the potential for using Web 2.0 tools to support e-portfolios, and am interested in learning how you are adapting these tools for use in schools. I have formed a moderated Google Group on Using Google Apps for ePortfolios in K-12 Education which anyone is free to join.

Hope to hear from you soon,

Sincerely,

Helen

Dr. Helen Barrett, Researcher and Consultant
Electronic Portfolios and Digital Storytelling
     to Support Lifelong and Life Wide Learning
253-229-5235 (cell phone)  * Skype & Twitter ID: eportfolios

Trent Batson

Jan 27, 2010, 10:28:56 AM1/27/10
to mle-refer...@googlegroups.com
Hi, like Helen, I have been following the discussion on this list and am impressed with the amount of work going on.

I was talking with Helen in Washington DC last week when she mentioned her new Global Network.  I offered her the help of AAEEBL.  I hope that the Global Network takes off as I think we will all benefit if it does.

Keep up the good work.
Best Regards,
Trent
Trent Batson, Ph.D. Executive Director
       The Association for Authentic, Experiential and
              Evidence-Based Learning
                           http://www.aaeebl.org/

Sr Contributing Editor, Campus Technology's Web 2.0 e-newsletter

AAEEBL Groups:

Skype:  trent_batson  Twitter:  trent_batson Twitter:  AAEEBL
25 Kristen Lane
North Kingstown, RI 02852
401-884-5657 home office
=================
Senior Associate, TLT Group

scooper

Jan 28, 2010, 7:41:09 PM1/28/10
to MLE Reference Group
Hi Jamin, Ian and others,

good to catch up with you again; I likewise appreciate your initiative
in setting up this group. And Ian, I firmly agree with your notion
about renaming the approach as"e-learning journals.' We have adopted
that terminology here at Clevedon School. My other question at this
time is the relationship between "e-p's" and papaer portfolios - esp.
if they have been showcase portfolios. I am thinking that one does not
replace the other, and that perhaps the better model might well be to
use both, the former for reflections and learning journal type
material, and the latter for more end product work eg, if you have set
a paper version 100 times tables speed test, or a swimming self
assessment rubric, why scan and place it in the e-portfolio. Similarly
if students in writing are brainstorming, drafting, editing etc on
paper, surely that evidence is best suited to the paper portfolio - we
don't all have 1:1 laptop availability yet.

I would appreciate some feedback about this notion.

Scott Cooper.

On Jan 18, 10:06 am, Jamin Lietze <j_lie...@yahoo.co.nz> wrote:

> Hi all!
>
> It is my desire to establish a network with those who are using
> ePortfolios this year as a tool to enhance teaching and learning. I
> hope that together we can share good practice, research findings, our
> journey, etc.
>

> You can find information on my journey athttp://lietze.edublogs.org/category/eportfolios/

Ian Fox

Jan 28, 2010, 9:40:31 PM1/28/10
to mle-refer...@googlegroups.com
Hi Scott

Good to hear from you. Interesting comments you make. In terms of an
eLearning Journal the 'e' could stand for both electronic as well as
'evidence.' There is in my view nothing wrong with schools looking for
evidence of learning and the e/P could be a good place to show this. I
understand not everyone would want to set up an e/P in the same way and that
is fine. It is, as Ray has alluded in an earlier posting, up to each school
to determine its own 'purpose.' That will vary from school to school and
also to a degree be dependent on the age of the student which will also
determine different approaches and needs. As Jamin has clearly stated
schools should determine 'purpose' and start from that point.

I agree it is illogical to take the time to scan in material that is already
on paper. It seems to serve little purpose in doing so as some material or
'evidence' can be better shown on paper. On the other hand there is some
work that can best be shown electronically particularly when 'student voice'
is embedded. This allows the e/P to become much more powerful. So maybe
there is still room for both types of Portfolio. I am sure that is the case.
Avoiding duplication or an additional workload should be a key consideration
in determining what is to be kept and where it is to be stored.

All the best for your work this year.

Cheers

Ian

NELLIE DEUTSCH

Jan 29, 2010, 12:56:22 AM1/29/10
to mle-refer...@googlegroups.com
Sorry for cross posting but I have been following the discussions and learning a great deal. I would like to add that Helen Barrett is going to be giving a live online presentation if anyone is interested via a Moodle (IT4ALL): http://www.integrating-technology.com/course/view.php?id=89#section-16
Warm wishes,
Nellie Deutsch
Sharing is Caring!
Doctoral Student
Educational Leadership
Curriculum and Instruction
The Facilitators

Integrating Technology for Active Life-long Learning (IT4ALL) http://www.integrating-technology.com/pd
Get ready for CO10 at WiZiQ: http://spreadsheets.google.com/viewform?hl=en&formkey=dFFUTkl5NVc3Qm80eXZTVjV1Q0RIbXc6MA
Free online workshops using WiZiQ: http://www.wikieducator.org/Workshops

regans

Jan 29, 2010, 5:04:00 PM1/29/10
to MLE Reference Group
Hi Scott

You raise an interesting question in relation the keeping both an
electronics and a paper portfolio. My initial response is that I want
to have artifacts in one place that can be accessed by anyone, anytime
and anywhere. This supports our purposes of engaging kids in their
learning, encouraging reflective thinking, and fostering home-school
partnerships and parent's/caregivers' involvement in their kids'
learning.

You mentioned that not everyone has 1:1 laptop availability (the holly-
grail that I am keenly awaiting!). One solution which I am trying to
put in place is having the kids do some of the work at home for
homework. I anticipate that the kids will be adding some reflection
and journal entries about their learning and their artifacts for
homework. This frees up some computer time in the class. They will
certainly need some training before this can be expected to be done
well, but hopefully it will be a useful option.

I agree the some artifacts are better suited to paper and can see why,
with limited resources, scanning them is a time consuming use of
computer time. You also alluded to thinking that some artifacts are
better suited to paper. Could the same be said about putting photos of
the arts in a paper portfolio - a painting, a dance or presentation in
drama? It doesn't really do the work any true justice but is often how
we represent these them. At this stage, I highly value having
artifacts in one place with anyone, anytime, anywhere access . When I
met with Jamin last week he mentioned that he has scanning monitors
that come in the morning before school and fire up the scanner - that
sounds like a great solution, which I think I might borrow.

Back on the home-school partnership angle for a moment... I had a girl
in my class whose mother had moved her down from Auckland last year.
Her mother and father were separated and didn't get at all. The girl's
father was very interested in participating as much as possible in his
daughters' education. Another child in the same class had a father who
worked overseas for months at a time. Both of these fathers would be
stoked to see her 100 times table speed test and her swimming self
assessment rubric given the opportunity. I'm sure many of the
grandparents of immigrant students, who have expressed their
appreciation for our class blog, would also love to see their
grandchildren's e-portfolios.

There are many issues around implementing some of these ideas (such as
access to the internet at home, privacy/safety/security, parents'/
caregivers' ability/interest in contributing) but my ideal is to have
the kids' artifacts in one place and be able to customise the view of
those artifacts to meet the specific audience. If it's on paper glued
into a scrap book in a kid's desk, it's hard to do that. So the
question of purpose comes up again, not just for the e-portfolio
itself but for the assessment/artifact.

That's my 2cents worth :)
Regan

Richard Wyles

Jan 31, 2010, 10:36:09 PM1/31/10
to mle-refer...@googlegroups.com
Hi all,
I'm pleased to announce that the www.myportfolio.school.nz service (using
Mahara) will remain free of charge to all New Zealand schools for 2010. We
also have some exciting plans to further increase its capability.

Kind regards

Richard Wyles
Flexible Learning Network

Feb 1, 2010, 2:21:44 PM2/1/10
to MLE Reference Group
Morning Everyone,

Great to see so much chat about e-portfolios and also good to see that
myportfolio.co.nz will still be running this year. I have used e-
portfolios in different formats over the past few years and I am going
into my second year of using them with Mahara. I set out with many of
the same goals that I've read on here, and there were also some
unforeseen benefits;

1. students/teachers accessing resources 24/7 from anywhere and any
time. You'll notice students on there at some peculiar times!
2. blogging - the reflective learning process is excellent
3. students having greater ownership of work
4. engaging students - I expected this, but some students really took
to it that were previously not interested in anything!

I hope everyone tries this out with at least one class this year. One
of the most important things I found to it's success was building time
into your timetable to work on them with your class - wiki wednesdays
are on again this year!

Cheers
Pete

Eddie Reisch

Feb 1, 2010, 2:41:25 PM2/1/10
to mle-refer...@googlegroups.com
Nice to see the work going on here as well
I am wondering and posing a question:
Is there work going on that encompasses all age groups using eportfolios?
i.e. is there common thinking and work from year 1 to 99 of learners ion the
ePortfolio world?
If not I think it something really important to explore as the danger is that
students will need different systems at different at levels of schooling?
This could work against the student in the long term?

Any thoughts on this? I would like to see more commonality in the way we
teach/learn and interact at all levels rather than separating students in the
eworld the same as we do in the face to face environment we have an
opportunity to make learning different in this environment rather than the
same as we have always done it?

Kia Ora
Eddie Reisch
Virtual Learning Network
email: eddie....@minedu.govt.nz
Web Site: http://www.virtuallearning.school.nz
DDI: 04 463 7052
027 2781164
Help Line: 0800 422 599

Feb 1, 2010, 3:19:35 PM2/1/10
to mle-refer...@googlegroups.com
Eddie, you raise an issue that I have attempted to address in several of my
presentations in the UK and Europe. I think that what you are looking for
is 'themes' rather than 'subjects'. For instance an eFolio for a 6yr-old
might have a page called 'When I grow up' or 'In the Future'. At a later
stage this might become something 'Career Objectives'.

Sometimes the labels may change, at other times the content may change,
almost month by month. Sometimes a comparison of 'before' and 'now' might
be a good reflective exercise.

See the progression of a hypothetical student:
Age 6: http://www.studentdemo2.tolley.efolioworld.com/
Age 11: http://www.studentdemo3.tolley.efolioworld.com/
Age 14: http://www.ukclonebase14-19.efolioworld.com/
Age 17: http://www.studentdemo.tolley.efolioworld.com/
Age 25: http://raymondtolley.efoliomn.com/

Or the e-Portfolio could build upon required topics that progress with the
student throughout their whole school life:
See: http://raytolley2.v2efolioworld.mnscu.edu/Home

Hope this is of some help,

BW

Ray Tolley  FEIDCT, NAACE Fellow, ACQI, MBILD
ICT Education Consultant
Maximise ICT Ltd
P:  http://raytolley.v2efolioworld.mnscu.edu/
B:  http://www.efoliointheuk.blogspot.com/
W:  http://www.maximise-ict.co.uk/eFolio-01.htm
Winner of the IMS 'Leadership Regional Award 2009'

Paul Seiler

Feb 1, 2010, 3:44:56 PM2/1/10
to mle-refer...@googlegroups.com
Richard (and all the folk at Flexible and Catalyst), thanks for your
generosity in extending the fee-free season out another year. I hope many
other school people will make their thanks known and I hope they also
encourage others to make use of the fabulous service you run.

Paul.

Paul Seiler | Manager | Managed Learning Environments | IT Group
| Ministry of Education
Level 9, Public Trust Building, 117-125 Lambton Quay, Wellington 6011 |
PO Box 1666, Wellington 6140
DDI 04 463 7605 | Team DDI 04 463 7666 | Fax 04 463 0031 |
Mobile 027 474 6239 | www.minedu.govt.nz/mle |
paul....@minedu.govt.nz

Kind regards

Hi Scott

DISCLAIMER

Adrian Gray

Feb 1, 2010, 4:25:07 PM2/1/10
mle-refer...@googlegroups.com writes:
>See the progression of a hypothetical student:
It appears Sophie Wellard has undergone some rather large cosmetic
transformations in her later life...
http://www.studentdemo.tolley.efolioworld.com/index.asp?Type=B_BASIC&SEC={A2E80386-7A5F-47E9-A831-FC44ECFBA00D}
Authenticity could become an issue here.

Adrian Gray
Teacher - IT Administrator
Phone 027 228 1101

Helen Barrett

Feb 1, 2010, 4:36:41 PM2/1/10
to mle-refer...@googlegroups.com
I recently published a journal article about Lifelong Portfolios:
Online Personal Learning Environments: Structuring Electronic Portfolios for Lifelong and Life Wide Learning
On the Horizon | Vol. 17 No. 2, 2009, pp. 142-152, © Emerald Group Publishing Limited, ISSN 1074-8121

In that article, we raise the issue of "lifetime personal webspace" which is slowly starting to emerge, especially with the recent GoogleDocs "Upload Anything" capability. Some of the challenges with e-portfolios (or eLearning Journals per Ian Fox) across the lifespan are diverse purposes, ownership and interoperability. Right now, most ePortfolio SYSTEMS are hosted by institutions, which does not serve a lifelong vision, especially those with subscription-based economic models. Another issue is interface: what is appropriate for a primary student to manage independently is not appropriate for college students (and vice versa), not to mention senior citizens, who have different needs for legacy and storytelling...especially for novice technology users. At the EIFEL conference last June, I talked about the Portfolio Life (based on a book by that same title) where we explore our meaning, purpose and passion in the post-50 "new middle age!"

In my opinion, the challenge we have today is both vision and implementation ("Why" and "How"). A broad-based vision is starting to emerge in social networking sites such as Facebook and YouTube, where many of my friends and relatives have replaced the baby book or diary with posting videos and pictures along with a non-academic version of reflective narrative.  We are starting to see portfolio-like activities in social networks, and starting to see social network-like activities in some e-portfolio environments. That is the reason that I will be making the following TEDxIndia presentation at the end of this month in Mumbai:

Social Networks and Interactive Portfolios: Blurring the Boundaries
Electronic Portfolios have been with us for almost two decades, used primarily in education to store documents and reflect on learning, provide feedback for improvement, and showcase achievements for accountability or employment. Social networks have emerged over the last five years, used by individuals and groups to store documents and share experiences, showcase accomplishments, communicate and collaborate with friends and family, and, in some cases, facilitate employment searches. The boundaries between these two processes are gradually blurring. As we consider the potential of lifelong e-portfolios, will they resemble the structured accountability systems that are currently being implemented in many higher education institutions? Or are we beginning to see lifelong interactive portfolios emerging as mash-ups in the Web 2.0 cloud, using blogs, wikis, Facebook, LinkedIn, Flickr, YouTube, etc.? There are many similarities between these two processes; the major differences are in extrinsic vs. intrinsic motivation (Dan Pink's concept of autonomy, mastery, and purpose). This presentation will draw on Pink's new book, Drive, and how blurring the boundaries between social networks and e-portfolios could motivate people to adopt the portfolio processes of collection, reflection, selection/presentation, interaction, and collaboration to support lifelong learning.

I am doing a version of this presentation at the Connecting Online Live Online Conference (C010) on Saturday: http://www.integrating-technology.com/ (I want to discuss these ideas as I put together the short presentation.)

For me, the key to Lifelong ePortfolios in the future is: Data Liberation (not just Interoperability), Hyperlinks and EMBED codes! I am free to move my portfolio data between systems, or create links to my data posted anywhere on the Internet, or embed my media/artifacts in different versions/views of my portfolio. And it needs to be easy to use... and fun!

Sincerely,

Helen

Dr. Helen Barrett, Researcher and Consultant
Electronic Portfolios and Digital Storytelling
     to Support Lifelong and Life Wide Learning
253-229-5235 (cell phone)  * Skype & Twitter ID: eportfolios

Ray Tolley

Feb 1, 2010, 5:38:31 PM2/1/10
to mle-refer...@googlegroups.com
Nice one Adrian,
Cosmetic alterations now removed!

Ray Tolley  FEIDCT, NAACE Fellow, ACQI, MBILD
ICT Education Consultant
Maximise ICT Ltd
P:  http://raytolley.v2efolioworld.mnscu.edu/
B:  http://www.efoliointheuk.blogspot.com/
W:  http://www.maximise-ict.co.uk/eFolio-01.htm
Winner of the IMS 'Leadership Regional Award 2009'

Ray Tolley

Feb 1, 2010, 5:53:22 PM2/1/10
to mle-refer...@googlegroups.com
Aaagh! Realised this was an old version!
Nice one Adrian,
Cosmetic alterations now removed on:
http://sophiewellard.v2efolioworld.mnscu.edu/

Pete Potter

Feb 1, 2010, 9:24:21 PM2/1/10
to MLE Reference Group
I'll second that Paul! BIG THANKS!
I'm a great myportfolio advocate and was worried last year that we may
lose it. New developments sound good for this year.......
Reading this thread I think that there will be a much greater uptake
this year - I've said before that I encourage anyone to try them out
with one class for one term.

On Feb 2, 9:44 am, Paul Seiler <Paul.Sei...@minedu.govt.nz> wrote:
> Richard (and all the folk at Flexible and Catalyst), thanks for your
> generosity in extending the fee-free season out another year. I hope many
> other school people will make their thanks known and I hope they also
> encourage others to make use of the fabulous service you run.
>
> Paul.
>
> Paul Seiler   |   Manager   |   Managed Learning Environments   |   IT Group
> |   Ministry of Education
> Level 9, Public Trust Building, 117-125 Lambton Quay, Wellington 6011   |
> PO Box 1666, Wellington 6140
> DDI  04 463 7605   |   Team DDI  04 463 7666   |   Fax  04 463 0031   |
> Mobile  027 474 6239   |  www.minedu.govt.nz/mle  |

> paul.sei...@minedu.govt.nz

Jamin Lietze

Feb 3, 2010, 2:46:01 AM2/3/10
to MLE Reference Group
Hi everyone,

I wish to respond to Scott who asked a valuable question about the
place of an electronic portfolio and the paper based portfolio.

Firstly Scott, if working two portfolio platforms works best to meet
your purpose - then that is what you should do. So go for it!

In my situation I do encourage my kids to scan samples of their work
into their ePortfolio as it fits with purpose #5 (mentioned above)

"Give greater opportunities to build a stronger and wider learning
support team for the student that would include teacher, family

members and other knowledgeable peers." For this reason I value a
socially networked portfolio where the parties identified above are
able to give helpful feedback and feedforward to the student. I see
this working best via an electronic system where it facilitates
dynamic, 24/7, rapid feedback and feedforward. So that is why we scan
work samples into their ePortfolios where the social network
immediately picks it up and can address it. I agree with Regan when he
said "I want to have artifacts in one place that can be accessed by
anyone, anytime and anywhere."

However the problem with scanning is that the process for uploading
paper documents takes too much time. I have recently learnt how to
create a HTML page template in Microsoft Word. All I do then is get my
students to paste the HTML code into their ePortfolio and they can
write directly onto the template. This removes the need for scanners
however the amount of work you can do is still slowed down because we
have to wait until we get to the computer lab or it is the student's
turn on the classroom computer. Ahhh it would be great to be a 1:1
classroom - my students could go so much further with their
ePortfolio. In the meantime we will do what we can with what we've
got. :+)

Scott, thanks for asking the question. I am sure others have been
pondering this also. Hopefully our discussions help others with their
thoughts. :+D

Nick Rate

Feb 4, 2010, 4:27:05 PM2/4/10
to MLE Reference Group
Hi Jamin,
Don't disagree with anything you have posted here.
I have certainly captured learning through scanning and uploading. No
harm done if it captures the learning best.
I think what you have described above reinforces some of my thoughts
regarding eportfolios.
Implementing eportfolios isn't instant, it is an ongoing development.
The longer you are using them to support student learning the greater
your true working understanding of what can be achieved is realised.
Your example of scanning learning and now moving towards HTML
templates illustrates this.
Over time you also want or need to readdress your criteria, purpose
and vision, especially if you are in a scenario where other classes
are using paper. It is more than likely that your views and thoughts
are expanding at the same time as your understanding grows due to an
increased awareness of the technology capability, student/teacher
capability and allignment to learning, and much more rapidly than for
those with paper based portfolios.
If you are getting started or you are an experienced practitioner with
eportfolios, it is important to acknowledge that you are constantly on
a self-review and improvement cycle. Every time you think you have got
it right you will come across something and think how you could use
that in your situation.
It a healthy way to be.
I think you have inspired me to make another eportfolio graph! Will
post that soon.
Nick

Jamin Lietze

Feb 9, 2010, 2:03:26 AM2/9/10
to MLE Reference Group
Hi Nick

I appreciate your knowledge, perspective and thinking gained from your
experience with ePortfolios. I had a look at your new graphs (http://
nickrate.com/2010/02/05/more-eportfolio-graphs) and can certainly see
how the functionality, development and effectiveness of ePortfolios
grows over time as Teachers keep reflecting and critiquing their work.

Nick you also identified the following areas in your previous google
post: "technology capability, student/teacher capability and alignment
to learning". I think these three general areas would be good for us
to consider, survey, plan for and regularly review if we want to use
ePortfolios effectively.

For those interested I have just reviewed some of the processes and
activities that made up our successful pilot of ePortfolios in 2009.
You can read about them at http://lietze.org/?p=218 Please feel free
to add some of your successful ePortfolio processes and activities to
this google group or my blog. Let's refine what we do together!

Jamin