Beta: Minecraft: Education Edition now supporting ChromeBooks

Sam McNeill

Jun 30, 2020, 8:03:08 PM6/30/20
to MLE Reference Group
HI All,

This is a cross-post from the Techies for Schools group as I know some people live here, but not in the more technical other group :)

Some pretty big news today: one of the biggest feature requests has been for Minecraft:Education Edition to be supported on ChromeBooks.

Today, it's now in beta - details below.

Note, you'll still need an O365 identity (available at no cost, Datacom manage this on behalf of the MoE) and you can implement SSO from IdP of your choice.

Minecraft:EE is available at no cost as part of the M365 A3 agreement with the Ministry of Education and there is Aotearoa specific content with Nga Motu here:

Many educators are already using this to teach STEM and specifically, the Design and Develop a Digital Outcome and Computational Thinking standards (you can code in JavaScript and Python inside M:EE).

If new to M:EE this is probably my best "one stop shop" guide to getting started:

AND you can play across the internet provided you open the correct ports on the host device:

Here's the Beta details:

CHROMEBOOK BETA!
Minecraft: Education Edition Chromebook Beta Now Available

Today, Minecraft: Education Edition is available on Chromebook! Now you can download the Minecraft: Education Edition Beta from the Google Play Store. Additional features in this update available for users on other supported platforms include fun new mobs like bees and foxes and tons of new learning content, including updated learn-to-code curriculum in our Library.

How Do I Join the Beta?

Head to our Beta Downloads page to learn more about supported platforms and how to install a build for your platform. Additional details are available on the FAQ.

Minimum Specs and Device Requirements for Chromebook

  • ChromeOS Version: M83 ornewer
  • Hard Drive: 350 MB free (~220MB application + space for worlds) per account on the device
  • Device supports the managed Play Store apps: Chrome OS Systems Supporting Android Apps
  • CPU/RAM: We will be using feedback from the beta to finalize minimum specs.

What about documentation for deployment and technical support?

Beta documentation is published at https://aka.ms/meesupport. There is also a beta forum for customers to discuss issues and share feedback at https://aka.ms/meesupport.

Happy to answer any questions around this,

Cheers
Sam

Sam McNeill

Jul 21, 2020, 9:41:40 PM7/21/20