Orewa College pushes ahead with iPad plan

Patrick

Oct 27, 2011, 4:52:16 PM10/27/11
to MLE Reference Group
http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/education/5865777/School-bullied-parents-over-iPads

This has been in the news for the past few days. It looks like a push
to get the whole school to join the Cult of Apple. Potentially a very
divisive move.

Mike Etheridge

Oct 27, 2011, 4:56:49 PM10/27/11
to mle-refer...@googlegroups.com
Article says "...iPad 2 ... or a similar handheld tablet device for their lessons next year" which doesn't look like a push to get the whole school to join the "Cult of Apple" to me.

Mike Etheridge
Network Administrator
Palmerston North Girls' High School
Palmerston North
New Zealand

Steve Voisey

Oct 27, 2011, 5:08:17 PM10/27/11
to mle-refer...@googlegroups.com
I agree, Mike. Another below-par piece of journalism from stuff.co.nz
"Imrie said she had contacted the Ministry of Education about the school's plans and claims she was told it would be up to the school to supply tablets." ?????????
--
Regards,
Steve Voisey

Phil Giller

Oct 27, 2011, 5:12:32 PM10/27/11
to mle-refer...@googlegroups.com

Its definitely not a whole school approach... Just more media hype!

From a parent with a year 9 next year - (who now has an iPad) and a year 11
next year (that has a laptop)

Regards
Phil Giller

Innes Kennard

Oct 27, 2011, 5:29:49 PM10/27/11
to mle-refer...@googlegroups.com
And the Happy Feet party will win the next election. Using loaded phrases like cult and divisive both plays in the the hands of the media and tells us much about the writer. I don't notice consultation, recommendation, choice, suitability, learning, careful consideration, school investment and teacher professional development featuring highly.
Patrick if you live in Orewa, have a child attending the College and have such an intense distrust the intentions of the school in introducing tablet technologies can I suggest you go and talk to them.
If you don't believe that portable technologies have a place in education then I am sure the group would love to hear your thoughts - balanced of course.
If neither of the above is correct then can i suggest you get in behind our colleagues and support them.

Stuff -  more useful as a verb or an adjective than a noun I feel.

Have a good one

Innes

Patrick

Oct 27, 2011, 5:36:36 PM10/27/11
to MLE Reference Group
Thankyou so much for that vote of confidence, I'm now going to bugger
off so you won't have to bother what I think any more.

Gerard Macmanus

Oct 27, 2011, 6:00:00 PM10/27/11
to mle-refer...@googlegroups.com
It's been rather interesting, every time the articles have been in the news i have gone through and put the comments into a wordle

http://www.wordle.net/show/wrdl/4312354/october-orewa

http://www.wordle.net/show/wrdl/4312367/orewa-august

www.wordle.net/show/wrdl/4312372/orewa-july

Education doesn't really come into it from the comments

Gerard

Innes Kennard

Oct 28, 2011, 2:00:54 AM10/28/11
to mle-refer...@googlegroups.com
Nice one Gerard
Nice to see kids, students, education, school, staying on or coming to the fore.
Compulsory meanwhile had disappeared by Oct.
Thanks for sharing
Innes

Adrian Gray

Oct 28, 2011, 2:52:46 AM10/28/11
to mle-refer...@googlegroups.com

Can't wait to hear the cries of parents who don't have one as they watch other children steam ahead. I pity the teachers who would not be unable to present in a solely digital manner as some students needed a paper based resource. No matter what digital platform a school chooses, I am certain that although it will not be perfect, it is significantly better than not having one.

"One of those critics was Labour education spokesperson Sue Moroney who said low-income families were already struggling to pay for school uniforms and basic stationery items. I think what we've got to be careful of is that we don't end up with a two-tier education system where we put low-income families in a really embarrassing situation where they can't provide their child with really expensive technology and therefore limit their education," she said at the time.

The above comment suggests why there is a disparity. Many independent schools, and some forward thinking state schools have already embraced campus wide use of 1:1 devices with students. The tier the above spokesperson wishes to keep schools on is the bottom tier. Where is the commitment to help fund all students with up to date learning tools to allow them to embrace digital learning opportunities? Notebooks, tablets... are here to stay, I am certain that it is only underfunding that prevents their wider use. This is an election year. If I were labour.... I would be looking at raising standards, not finding the lowest common denominator.

Oct 28, 2011, 6:03:41 PM10/28/11
On 28/10/2011 7:52 p.m., Adrian Gray wrote:
> Can't wait to hear the cries of parents who don't have one as they
> watch other childrensteam ahead. I pity the teachers who would not be

> unable to present in a solely digital manner as some students needed
> a paper based resource. No matter what digital platform a school
> chooses, I am certain that although it will not be perfect, it is
> significantly better than not having one.

It's the range of devices that will appear if there isn't a fairly
clear mandate from the school that will cause teachers the most trouble.
Where 'no device' is part of that range.
Inconsistency in features and performance are likely to render the
devices somewhat expensive school-bag-weights.

> This is an election year. If I were labour.... I would be looking at
> raising standards, not finding the lowest common denominator.

Are you referring to actually raising standards, or just talking about
it? (Applies to either/any/all parties :)

The unfortunate realism is that, for 1:1 devices to become effecitve
across the board we will require a standard.
Either a standard for the 'consuming' device - consider the 'fun' of
starting a new school and needing an entirely new device, if parents are
funding them.
Or (arguably this is really an 'and') a standard for the tools that is
device agnostic.
Without these true (inter-)national collaboration becomes fraught with
conversions, complications and compromises.

But then this isn't a new problem, and it isn't unique to 1:1 devices
(nevermind iPads specfically).

As with 'staff laptops' life is simpler, at least within the
organisation, if the devices are provided (if not entirely funded)
by the organisation itself.
(Sorry, I need an iPad for Music, which I've been doing for years,
I can't view this Accounting presentation that's constructed in Flash)

J,

Richard Jones

Oct 28, 2011, 7:03:12 PM10/28/11
to mle-refer...@googlegroups.com
Umm, a little nervously stepping into this one.

Is it not a "given" that learning will go mobile and one size will fit
none? Shouldn't we focus on tools rather than devices, "bring a
browser" is a phrase I've seen somewhere.

All of these different devices are made by large corporations whose
main motive is profit - why pick on one manufacturer? If the school
supplies a device it makes the choice as to which is best for it.

The iPad has its strengths and weaknesses but it is by no means a bad
choice from our experience.

My 2c anyway.

Richard Jones
The Southport School

> --

Richard Jones
ric...@ib-computing.com

Julian Davison

Oct 28, 2011, 7:50:31 PM10/28/11
to mle-refer...@googlegroups.com
> Umm, a little nervously stepping into this one.
>
> Is it not a "given" that learning will go mobile and one size will fit
> none? Shouldn't we focus on tools rather than devices, "bring a
> browser" is a phrase I've seen somewhere.

Ideally such a phrase would be common and the end of it.
Historically it hasn't turned out to be so simple. Things like Flash
appear to fill perceived holes in the functionality of the standards that
define browser behaviour.
This is the drive behind a 'standard for the tools'.
Learning is evolving as society changes around it and I don't think that
will stop. Will it pass "mobile" in the near future? Hard to tell...

> All of these different devices are made by large corporations whose
> main motive is profit - why pick on one manufacturer? If the school
> supplies a device it makes the choice as to which is best for it.

Exactly. It results in some predictability for staff in terms of what kids
can do with their devices.

> The iPad has its strengths and weaknesses but it is by no means a bad
> choice from our experience.

None of the choices are inherently bad. They all have limitations leading
to implications for their use. In a truly choose your own device scenario
you end up in a lowest common denominator situation, or leave people out.

nathaN P

Oct 29, 2011, 1:53:51 AM10/29/11
to mle-refer...@googlegroups.com
Kia ora
The article about Orewa College requiring compulsory digital devices for their junior students made me wonder whether anyone from within the IT Industry or Education is looking at a Life -cycle assessment?

Confessions Of An Eco Sinner - Fred Pearce has this to say about where our computers are coming from.....

80% of the worlds Pcs and laptops are "Made In China"
Asustek in the the Chinese city of Suzhou makes half the worlds motherboards - 60million a year.
It employs 85000 mainly poor rural women who work 8 hour days, 6 days a week.
Living in cramped dorms of up 8 per room, the only way these young women can send saved money back to their families is by working over-time. Machines could do the job but girls are cheaper.
Asustek has to find and train 7,000 new operators every month - 10% turn over of these underpaid workers?

recruiting many of their mainly18 year old girls direct from schools. One factory has 800 buses a day bringing in its workers, while Suzhou is extending a further 200 square kilometres onto the shores of an already polluted Lake Taihu.
Rows of 12 storey apartment blocks house displaced farmers who are now employed in menial jobs in the city.

Cradle to Cradle - isn't it time we educators looked beyond our own desires to the needs of others and the planet?

Just another angle on the debate!

Cheese,

Nathan

Cheese salutation
The OPEN SOURCE  BLAG

Warpington

Otago
NZ
0272148294

Jack@TorqueIP

Oct 31, 2011, 8:19:44 PM10/31/11
to MLE Reference Group
It's a fantastic idea to forge ahead with a concept that is very much
so in the 'leadership space'. Again media blowing it out of proportion
and good to keep in mind that it just didn't happen over night.
Consultation with the community, technical and strategic directions
have all been covered I'd say.

Good on ya Orewa and the many other schools either already down this
track or about to forge ahead.

What is worth considering is the Pedagogy, PD, Technical and last but
not least the community is engaged and all bases clear before trucking
on.

JT
TorqueIP
Client Services Manager
P: +64 9 215 3410
@: jack...@torqueip.co.nz

We are Independent Technology Advisors and we Advise+Acquire+Assure

DMSlack

Nov 10, 2011, 10:04:57 PM11/10/11
to MLE Reference Group
Ah, the Fords vs Holdens Syndrome again.

Did educators get this excited when we switched from ink-wells to ball-
point? Was Bic seen as the pen manufacturer that forced itself onto
an unsuspecting NZ public?

There are obvious advantages to having the latest in technological
devices (paper much lighter than slate) but it certainly is no
precursor to, or guarantee of, effective pedagogy or powerful
experiences for a learner.

ps. Don't ever put much stock in NZ news media. Sensationalist
rubbish and ill-informed the majority of the time.

I think that was about 20c worth..