Natural Disasters

Hernandez, Mariah

Apr 23, 2012, 8:27:50 PM4/23/12
to mla-...@googlegroups.com
If you had to choose a natural disaster to be caught in what would you choose? What would you do to keep yourself safe? Why would you choose this disaster? Also take into consideration the damage this disaster can cause for others.

Kristina Suarez (:

Apr 24, 2012, 7:50:42 PM4/24/12
to MLA-LIMA
A category one hurricane lol. Its the wimpiest thing ever, as long as
it stays as category one.
If it was stronger, I would make sure that I protected my house, car
and windows. Then I would make sure I had non-perishable foods, just
in case the power went out.

Jorge Calderin

Apr 27, 2012, 5:58:08 AM4/27/12
to mla-...@googlegroups.com
Well all Of The Natural Disasters are bad in their own way, but if i had to be caught in one i think i
would like to be caught in a Earthquake, Because in a Hurricane it can last for days slowing
Destroying everything it passes. But with a Small Magnitude earthquake its fast and quick.

Kristina Suarez (:

Apr 27, 2012, 11:15:51 AM4/27/12
to MLA-LIMA
That is true Jorge but even a small magnitude earthquake can have an
after shock. It may be small but it can still cause a lot of damage.
Maybe some structures were weakened by previous earthquakes or
something, that building could collapse from a "fast and quick"
earthquake. That collapse could cause other buildings to collapse,
killing several people.

Hmph. Ranking on my hurricane...

Amanda Barrera

Apr 27, 2012, 10:04:50 PM4/27/12
to mla-...@googlegroups.com

Though I concur with Kristina about rather being stuck during a category 1 hurricane (it's kinda sad, I've seen tropical storms stronger than a cat 1) I honetly don't know if I would call a Cat 1 a "disaster" because basically it is all just a lot of rain and slightly higher winds.  Of course, Hurricanes are SUPER unpredictable (like tornadoes) you could think that the hurricane's going to break apart (i don't know the actual term for this) once it makes landfall and then suddenly, BAM! Category 5 monster right over your house. Earthquakes could be just as disasterous, depending on how storng they are. The weakest FELT i would believe would feel sorta like the tremors we get when the quarry some number miles away is being blown up for rocks. But if it happens to be really strong AND close to the surface its a disaster. And when its in the ocean... well, i think you get what I mean.

tati21

May 4, 2012, 10:04:20 AM5/4/12
to MLA-LIMA
i would like to be caught in a very small huricane and here in florida
its very usually to have a hurricane and its just very strong wind and
strong rain.

Jeremiah Soliman

May 9, 2012, 10:50:41 PM5/9/12
to mla-...@googlegroups.com
All natural disasters have its pros and cons, but I would choose to be stuck in a Volcano because they only last for 5-10 min. max and I g=can always get farther and farther from the volcanoe.

Jeff Lima

May 9, 2012, 11:08:56 PM5/9/12
to mla-...@googlegroups.com
Are you so sure? Volcanoes release more energy in a second than 10 atomic bombs and some have been erupting continuously for 20 years. Gotta get to that topic!

Alexa Duran

May 13, 2012, 10:32:25 AM5/13/12
to mla-...@googlegroups.com
If I had to choose a natural disaster, I would probably choose am earthquake with very small magnitude, like 0.1. I wouldn't really have to do anything to keep myself safe, mostly because the earthquake was so small, but if I did then I would stay in a place far from windows, and near a wall, because if the earthquake caused anything to come threw the window I would be safe.

Felipe :3

May 13, 2012, 7:16:29 PM5/13/12
to MLA-LIMA
I guess i would pick an earthquake. I've never really experienced an
earthquake so i would be new. I would probably start running around in
circles, then come to sense and go under a desk to cover up my head if
the earthquake has a big magnitude. I would choose this natural
disaster because in my opinion i think earthquakes don't make that
much damage than the other disasters. If i was driving i would stop
and keep calm. I would probably be a nerd and ask all these questions
about the earthquake, like what caused it plate movements? elastic
rebound? and when the earthquake is done, i would turn on the radio
and see whats going on. I would be scared because there can possibly a
tsunami. Do you think that an earthquake is the least destructive of
all natural disasters?

On Apr 23, 5:27 pm, "Hernandez, Mariah"

Jocelyn Melian

Jun 5, 2012, 11:08:18 AM6/5/12
to MLA-LIMA
If I were to be stuck in a natural disaster it would be a hurricane.
Living in Florida, we have already experienced hurricanes. This is a
good thing because we know how to stay safe and all the procedures to
take. I would know to get a generator because the power will be out,
or to buy food that won't need to be cooked such as a ham sandwich. I
will also know to put up shutters on all the windows to prevent damage
from flying debris.