Unified Magic Lantern - new release (now with 50D support)

Alex

Oct 14, 2011, 10:55:31 AM10/14/11
to ml-d...@googlegroups.com
Quick update (that's not a release, actually it's highly
experimental). If you open the docs, you'll notice that I'm preparing
for ML 0.2.2 release, so I've called this one "pre-0.2.2".

* 50D compatibility

The 50D port is ready for a first alpha version (let's call it Alpha
0). There are still problems, bust most essentials should work; at
this point, I believe it's a good idea to be tested by more users.

Since I don't have a 50D, the port is still quite far from what's
available on 550D and 60D. Use it at your own risk!

What works:
- Movie recording (1080p, 30fps, no audio)
- Almost all LiveView tools (exposure tools, focus peaking, magic
zoom, cropmarks)
- Most still photo functionality (bracketing, intervalometer, motion
detection, mirror lockup)
- All items in the Focus menu
- Most important tweaks (e.g. quick zoom in playback mode, night vision...)

What doesn't work:
- Setting bootflag from ML installer (you have to use EOSCard/MacBoot)
- Keeping ML after formatting the card
- Manual exposure controls for movie
- You may have to assign AF to * button to use bracketing or focus stacking
- You can't take pictures while recording (it crashes, but this also
happens with standard firmware)
- Probably a lot of not-so-often used features (or making them work
may be tricky)

Also follow the development thread:
http://chdk.setepontos.com/index.php?topic=6161.msg74469#msg74469

Warning: this camera was NOT designed to record movies. This is only a
nice addition, not a serious filmmaking tool. Video function in
550D/60D/600D/5D2 is much better.

* Other new features (for all cameras):

- Flicker-free installer
- Experimental auto ISO in Liveview, M mode only (warning: it may be
counter-intuitive, but it's something I would use) -- check the Tweak
Menu
- Menu: when a ML item has a red dot icon, there is an onscreen
explanation below
- Flash EV goes down to -10EV again (can be used to trigger external flashes)
- Startup logo enable again (100% option, you can disable it by
removing logo.bmp from your memory card)
- Beep on start/stop recording (you can disable it from Canon menu; if
it's too obtrusive, let me know)
- LCD backlight (550D only, sensor + up/down): if you need more, ML
increases display gain

* Bug fixes (all cameras):

- Powersave during record
- Intervalometer with bulb timer on Rebel cameras
- Slowed down bracketing a bit (should fix issues with missed frames)
- New method for catching half-shutter press in HDR shots (should no
longer set 10-second timer when you press the shutter quickly).

==========
DOWNLOAD
==========
http://bitbucket.org/hudson/magic-lantern/downloads/magiclantern-2011Oct14.550D.60D.600D.50Dalpha0.zip

Works on 550D 1.0.9, 60D 1.1.0, 600D 1.0.1 and 50D 1.0.8. Please unzip
ALL the files on your card.

Overall, it seems pretty stable for non-HDMI use. I'll do some more
serious testing this weekend.

TODO for the the release:
- Better HDMI compatibility (it's already much better than in the
August release, but further improvements require major rewrite for
most graphics functions).
- Fix major bugs in 50D (and in other cameras, if you find them)
- Move most ML files in subfolders (I'll keep autoexec.bin, FIR files
and magic.cfg in the root folder)
- More small suggestions from the previous thread, which I didn't
address yet (but I didn't forget them).

I've also started a draft page where you can vote for future
developments in ML (inspired from Vim):
http://magiclantern.wikia.com/wiki/Unified/Vote_for_Features

Since a few users have asked me to add the 5D Mark II to the Unified
branch, I've also added this item to the list.

Enjoy!

Chris71

Oct 14, 2011, 12:12:28 PM10/14/11
to Magic Lantern firmware development
Thanks, Alex, for this new (pre-)release!

It seems to work as stable as your last 2.1.0 version on my 550D. It's
great that the 50D users are now also part of the club! :-)

There's one small bug that I saw in the Expo menu: The new onscreen
explanation for red dot icons isn't displayed there because all menu
lines are being used. Maybe a solution would be to split the Expo menu
into Expo 1 and Expo 2 (the still could share the same icon.) This way
you could also implement new features in future without worrying that
there aren't enough free menu lines.

Could you change the text "Set 'Movie Exposure -> Manual'" to the
smaller font and transparent backgrould for the final 2.2.0 release?
As I wrote some days ago, I'm sometimes lazy and use auto exposure and
then this text is a bit too prominent.

Also, I would like if you could add a feature request I made some time
ago to the list: Auto-Rotation of the pictures in play mode by using
the gravity sensor, so that the camera acts similar to a smart phone
when rotating the body in play mode. You can of course leave it off
the Vote for Features list if you're sure that it's impossible to
implement.

Chris
> ==========http://bitbucket.org/hudson/magic-lantern/downloads/magiclantern-2011...

Alex

Oct 14, 2011, 12:27:54 PM10/14/11
to ml-d...@googlegroups.com
Nice to know it works stable, I hope it's the same for 50D and 600D users too.

Menu will become less cluttered when the new layout will be done (with
submenus). For now, items in that menu will become red when the value
is zero (so there's no much info lost).

I'll make the exposure warning to be displayed only once. It's there
because there were a lot of users saying "I can't change ISO in video
mode!" (obviously, they were in Auto exposure mode).

Auto-rotation: I still don't know how to implement it.

> --
> http://magiclantern.wikia.com/

Chris71

Oct 14, 2011, 12:52:19 PM10/14/11
to Magic Lantern firmware development
Thanks for your reply. I haven't donated for ML for a while so I just
made a donation as a vote for "MRAW / SRAW on Rebel cameras". Other
features I'm interested in are "Continuous recording (bypass the 30
minute / 4 GB limit)" and "Continuous autofocus in movie mode". I
didn't split the donation because I'm not sure if PayPal takes more
fees in this case.

About "Auto-rotation in Play mode": Is the unsolved problem to read
out the gravity sensor, to rotate the picture, or both?

Alex

Oct 14, 2011, 1:51:55 PM10/14/11
to ml-d...@googlegroups.com
Thanks again for your donation!

For continuous recording I have a few ideas to try (this is actually
based on Trammell's 1080i code). I hope it will work (but then, the
main problem will be overheating).

For auto-rotation, the main problem is how to tell Canon's firmware to
rotate a photo. Sensor is half-way solved (the address from the wiki
works, but only in LiveView, not in playback mode, so probably it
should be similar to the LCD sensor).

Regarding this, I've seen a nice implementation in an older Konica-Minolta:
http://www.steves-digicams.com/camera-reviews/konica/minolta-maxxum-5d-slr/konica-minolta-maxxum-5d-slr-review-12.html

Chris71

Oct 14, 2011, 2:48:13 PM10/14/11
to Magic Lantern firmware development
Hm, this older Konica-Minolta is called Maxxum *5D* (I wonder if Canon
got sued for using the same name in their product line :-)

So maybe we can just copy the code from the Maxxum 5D firmware... ;-)

But joking aside, here are my thoughts on how to tackle this idea:

1. I guess that there must be some hardware addresses for the sensors.
I don't know if and how it is possible to find them out, but if we do,
it should be possible to read the orientation sensor periodically in
Play mode too.

2. There are at least two modes for the camera to display the pictures
in Play mode (landscape and portrait), so I guess there must also be a
way for ML to influence this.

3. If 2. is not (yet) possible, I think it should be possible and fast
enough if ML rotates the pictures in the display buffer by software
from landscape (where they have a higher resolution on the display) to
portrait. Zooming the pictures would be difficult or not possible, but
at least this could be a first working implementation of this feature.

These are just my ideas on this, unfortunately I'm not a programmer
myself (I haven't done C and ASM for the past 15 years).

On Oct 14, 7:51 pm, Alex <broscutama...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Thanks again for your donation!
>
> For continuous recording I have a few ideas to try (this is actually
> based on Trammell's 1080i code). I hope it will work (but then, the
> main problem will be overheating).
>
> For auto-rotation, the main problem is how to tell Canon's firmware to
> rotate a photo. Sensor is half-way solved (the address from the wiki
> works, but only in LiveView, not in playback mode, so probably it
> should be similar to the LCD sensor).
>
> Regarding this, I've seen a nice implementation in an older Konica-Minolta:http://www.steves-digicams.com/camera-reviews/konica/minolta-maxxum-5...

"Sztupák Sz. Zsolt"

Oct 14, 2011, 3:51:48 PM10/14/11
to ml-d...@googlegroups.com
Damn, I switched from Minolta 5D (and all my lenses) to Canon 60D... I
should have stayed :)

By the way on the 5D the only useful stuff was that by rotating the info
screen rotated too (and without liveview and external LCD you had to
read those values). Unfortunately the play menu got really weird when
you held the camera on it's side: There was an option whether you want
to autoratate the pictures or not. I always used autorotate on, so
portrait pics would be rotated during playback, although it didn't
really look good (there wasn't enough active pixels on the screen, and
there was too much black area). When I rotated the camera sometimes the
pictures got rotated twice, instead of being "perfect".
Another feature was useful though: when you pressed the zoom in button
during play mode, it initially zoomed all the way in, so you could check
focus instantly. I really miss this function on the Canon.

SztupY

Alex

Oct 14, 2011, 4:36:50 PM10/14/11
to ml-d...@googlegroups.com
> 1. I guess that there must be some hardware addresses for the sensors.

The code referencing the address from the wiki (0x1DB2 in 550D) seems
related to face detection, and to decide the value (0, 1 or 2) it
compares something with round numbers like 45 and 315 (those can be
degrees). In 550D, the key location is ff039364. That "something"
should be the gravity sensor, and I believe its output is in degrees.

> Another feature was useful though: when you pressed the zoom in button
> during play mode, it initially zoomed all the way in, so you could check
> focus instantly. I really miss this function on the Canon.

Do you have a movie showing this? With ML it takes one second or so,
with quick zoom feature.

"Sztupák Sz. Zsolt"

Oct 14, 2011, 5:05:05 PM10/14/11
to ml-d...@googlegroups.com

>> Another feature was useful though: when you pressed the zoom in button
>> during play mode, it initially zoomed all the way in, so you could check
>> focus instantly. I really miss this function on the Canon.
> Do you have a movie showing this? With ML it takes one second or so,
> with quick zoom feature.

I'll do a video next week.

SztupY

Chris71

Oct 14, 2011, 5:19:19 PM10/14/11
to Magic Lantern firmware development
> The code referencing the address from the wiki (0x1DB2 in 550D) seems
> related to face detection, and to decide the value (0, 1 or 2) it
> compares something with round numbers like 45 and 315 (those can be
> degrees). In 550D, the key location is ff039364. That "something"
> should be the gravity sensor, and I believe its output is in degrees.

This sounds interesting, I too think that it must be in degrees: A
value of 0 degrees is horizontal (landscape), everything above 45
degrees (and below 135 degrees at the same time) can be assumed to be
portrait (anti-clockwise) and everything below 315 degees (and above
225 degrees at the same time) ca be assumed to be portrait
(clockwise).

Can you read out the value of ff039364 at any time, i.e. also in Play
mode? Then we would be a big step closer to Auto-rotation in Play
mode.

Another nice feature of the gravity sensor would be an Electronic
Level Display like the 7D has. As a starting point, it would be great
if you could just have a numeric display of the degrees displayed the
screen, so that one can adjust the camera in a proper 0° horizontal
level. A graphical display (level line) would be quit nice too, but is
not really necessary IMHO.

Cri

Oct 15, 2011, 6:58:07 AM10/15/11
to ml-d...@googlegroups.com
Hi Alex, i just tried it with the DP6 and i can only see cropmarks and no parameters of any kind.

Sent from my iPad

Alex

Oct 15, 2011, 6:11:53 AM10/15/11
to ml-d...@googlegroups.com
What parameters do you expect to find?!

ML works on my monitor just like in all recent versions (i.e. zebra is
OK, cropmarks OK... others may have trouble).

cristian paradiso

Oct 15, 2011, 6:28:29 AM10/15/11
to ml-d...@googlegroups.com
I can't see ISO, F-stop basically all the numbers in the bar below and above are gone. I'll try to reinstall it. Oh when I replaced it I only left the old cropmarks folder that might be the cause. I'll check it out. thanks

Oct 15, 2011, 6:38:15 AM10/15/11
to ml-d...@googlegroups.com
I confirm what I said, I reinstalled it and the bar with all the things below is gone, the one above with audio parameters is there. Anything else work fine. just the bar with all the colored manual settings it'ds gone. What can I do? any suggestions?

Oct 15, 2011, 7:59:13 AM10/15/11
to ml-d...@googlegroups.com
Just last thing, i noticed then when i go by the expo menu and i change for example the ISO they appear to soon disappear when i get out of the menu. Sorry to bothernyou again

Sent from my iPad

Jan Larmann

Oct 14, 2011, 3:59:21 PM10/14/11
to Magic Lantern firmware development
600d works fine except for flicker when shutting down after
installing. P.S why no iso higher than 12000

Cri

Oct 15, 2011, 7:55:30 AM10/15/11
to ml-d...@googlegroups.com
I can see them on the camera, but not on the dp6, they always worked untill yesterday upgrade. Could formatting the card possibly fix my problem?
Thanks

Ash McKenzie

Oct 16, 2011, 7:05:30 AM10/16/11
to Magic Lantern firmware development
Seems solid, on quick test!

Alex

Oct 17, 2011, 11:45:59 AM10/17/11
to ml-d...@googlegroups.com
Little update:

- Fixed audio missing on 600D (it was caused by the beep feature on
recording starting)
- Fixed bottom bar missing from external monitors (actually, on
external monitors, ML bar is always displayed, even if Canon bar is
active)
- Fixed issues 728 and 726
- Disabled digital zoom shortcut on 600D (it's causing problems for some users)
- Movie exposure warning is only displayed once
- Restored old method for intercepting the shutter in bracketing (new
method wasn't as reliable as I thought)
- Bracketing now works with 10s self-timer (not only 2s)
- Trap focus: when you hold the shutter half-way, the card LED will be
on (just to let you know that trap focus is enabled, when you shoot
with display off).

And the bleeding edge change: reworked the functions for taking a
picture and assigning AF button to star or half-shutter. This should
fix ML not properly restoring AF button setting (for example, after
selecting new focus patterns).

Possible side effect: it might cause lockups. Let me know how to
reproduce if you get any.

Side note: during the weekend I took around 2000 photos with the 60D
(used trap focus, AF patterns, a few brackets, exposure checking in
playback mode, a few long exposures). Zero crashes (the only issue was
that switching AF patterns too fast did not properly restore AF button
assignment because I was pressing the buttons too quickly).

But for today's version I didn't do any extensive testing, so there
may be surprises.

On Sun, Oct 16, 2011 at 2:05 PM, Ash McKenzie <a...@pov.co.nz> wrote:
> Seems solid, on quick test!

autoexec.bin

Daniele Musso

Oct 17, 2011, 3:13:56 PM10/17/11
to ml-d...@googlegroups.com
Alex,
thanks once again for your unvaluable effort.
Please keep at least as an option the digital zoom shortcut on 600D.
It allowed us to have a lot of error-free shooting sessions using one-lens-only, that is probably one of the most attractive features of 600D over the entire dslr line, especially for reporting purposes.
I'll feedback any issues with the bleeding edge.
Regards
Daniele

Alex

Oct 17, 2011, 4:29:11 PM10/17/11
to ml-d...@googlegroups.com
So, it was actually working?!

I'm sorry, but since I can't test it myself, I'm relying completely on
user feedback for the 600D port. So if users say things like "no way
to record at 3x digital zoom" (not only in the issue tracker, but in
other forums too), I'm assumming it doesn't work...

Here's a binary with digital zoom shortcut enabled again (otherwise
it's identical to the previous one). If you have problems with
recording stopping after using the shortcut, try enabling it from
"don't click me". This will do the same thing, but called from a
different context (the shortcut operates in the main GUI task, while
"don't click me" does this from a dedicated task).

autoexec.bin

Mandi

Oct 17, 2011, 5:30:59 PM10/17/11
to Magic Lantern firmware development
Lastest build is "THE ONE". Game changer. Stable and Solid.

If I could be so bold to ask for 2 beeps for record stop instead of 1,
to tell a difference between start and stop by hearing.

Mandi

Oct 17, 2011, 5:31:58 PM10/17/11
to Magic Lantern firmware development
And Buld ramping is genius!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Daniele Musso

Oct 17, 2011, 7:32:32 PM10/17/11
to ml-d...@googlegroups.com
You rock man!
I confirm It works like charms! I can start/stop alternating 1x-3x without no problems at all!
No need to use "don't click me"...
If needed I can post a short video to proof.
On thursday a whole day shooting is on the schedule, I'll be able to test it on the long run...
It's really a pitty to not have this on 60D ;(

mart

Oct 17, 2011, 8:34:51 PM10/17/11
to ml-d...@googlegroups.com

Great work ! Thank you Alex !
Is there another way to buy you a pizza ? :) In my country we can't use paypal yet :(

LV-off cancelation by triggering the sensor is really helpfull, no periodic body shakes anymore !

Some more thoughts on how to make power saving mode more efficient and usefull (in terms of use-case). Some of this cases are already implemented, though (just to summarise). So, here they are:
- When any external event occurs (from any button, chipped lens, dial, sensor) - LV turns on;
- When no external events - after predefined amount of time LV goes off.

Now something new :)

- When sensor is covered - LV turns off more quickly (3 seconds ?) ignoring the parametrized time-out. That is usefull when the camera is carryed on shoulder or neck and the sensor is covered by the body, so there is no need to wait a second and waste precious energy. This functionality simulates already existing behaviour of LCD switching (auto on/off) in non-LV mode.
- When sensor is covered - LV turns off quickly, UNLESS an associated shortcut button is pressed. In this case 3 sec time-out resets into a common one, giving the user oportunity to use LCD.

This behaviour can be explained more simplier:

- When a non-sensor input is triggered - parametrized timeout resets and LV turns on (if it was off).
- When sensor is covered AND LV is on - timeout resets into the smaller one, ignoring parametrized value
- When sensor becomes uncovered AND LV is on - timeout resets into the parametrized one. Thus we keep the ability to cancel LCD from switching off using "wave" gesture in front of sensor.

Hope I didn't complicate it too much :)

Malcolm Debono

Oct 18, 2011, 5:26:23 AM10/18/11
to ml-d...@googlegroups.com
Eager to try out this release tonight! Thanks Alex! :-)

niklasR

Oct 18, 2011, 8:36:53 AM10/18/11
to Magic Lantern firmware development, jlsal...@gmail.com
Hi,
How far have you got with the devlopment of ML for the 500D? We
haven't heard anything about this for over 3 months now.. (I can't
even find the thread about it).

niklasR

PS: I was asked that on our ML facebook page and promised to hand it
on to you guys ;)

niklasR

Oct 18, 2011, 8:38:14 AM10/18/11
to Magic Lantern firmware development
Sorry, I wasn't meant to change the subject..

Cri

Oct 18, 2011, 9:28:16 AM10/18/11
to ml-d...@googlegroups.com
Hi Alex,
I got back my ML back thanks a lot :) May i ask a question? Still regarding dp6, you know the 25pHd thing on the top right bar, that quickly blink and break the cropmarks plus it does it on top of the end of the audio parameters. Any chance can be moved or removed on DP6?? not a huge problem anyway, the quick blinking it is just a bit annoying
Thanks

Alex

Oct 18, 2011, 4:03:37 PM10/18/11
to ml-d...@googlegroups.com
A few fixes:

- 600D issue with 3x shortcut (the problem was only for 30fps)
- 600d: hopefully fixed issue 688 (problem with rode videomic) - not
tested, let me know if it works
- 50D: you should be able to select all possible ExpSim values in
video mode (maybe it helps with manual controls)
- all cameras: globaldraw issue from
http://groups.google.com/group/ml-devel/browse_thread/thread/1a37bf1f18e140cc/
- all cameras: fixed issue 730 (focus info is hidden if the lens does
not report the distance)

Experimental: electronic level indicator (bubble). Only works on...
60D, which already has it. But at least it doesn't cover the subject
completely :)

I'm 99% sure the sensor is present in 550D too, but so far I wasn't
able to read it directly.

autoexec.bin

Cri

Oct 18, 2011, 6:48:16 PM10/18/11
to ml-d...@googlegroups.com
Hi Alex,
Thanks a lot for the removing of the 25p HD it is much better now, just one more thing, You know the ML bottom bar had disappear and then you fixed it for hdmi monitor dp6, now it is there but the ISO value is missing, and another thing I cannot hear any bip at the start and end of recording, is there any setting for it? Last thing any chance we can get ghost image?? Thanks and sorry to bother you with the dp6 stuff, but I love to see the ML working in that amazing monitor.
Take care

> <autoexec.bin>

Malcolm Debono

Oct 19, 2011, 6:10:49 AM10/19/11
to ml-d...@googlegroups.com
Works great on the 60D! The level indicator is much more handy than the built-in since you get both the level and the preview. One thing I noticed was that the option to turn it on/off is not tied to the display presets, i.e. you cannot leave it only On in a particular preset. This would be great to have as it's something which is mostly needed before shooting, and would be quite handy!

Once again, good job! :-)

Alex

Oct 19, 2011, 10:56:52 AM10/19/11
to ml-d...@googlegroups.com
Today's update brings one (small) feature from the 1D X. I'll let you
discover it ;)

Hints:
- it was mentioned in this thread
- it's only for photo mode
- I didn't find it on Canon USA, but it's mentioned on Canon Japan and
on some blogs (not all)

It was only tested on 550D and 60D.

Other features:
- shortcut key for protecting images quickly (LV button). Tested on
60D, might work in 600D too; in older cameras it's much more difficult
to implement.
- feedback when toggling trap focus with the shortcut (LED flash +
optional beep)
- level indicator tweaked as suggested by Malcolm

For other cameras, the sensor value must be requested via SIO3/MREQ
interface, which isn't fully understood yet. I've added it to the
"vote for features" page; if there are users interested in it, I'll
look at it again.

autoexec.bin

James Donnelly

Oct 19, 2011, 11:37:52 AM10/19/11
to ml-d...@googlegroups.com
You've added a DIGIC V emulator!!??

Alex

Oct 19, 2011, 12:08:51 PM10/19/11
to ml-d...@googlegroups.com
> You've added a DIGIC V emulator!!??

Wow, does it feel that fast? :)

heartbeat

Oct 19, 2011, 12:12:18 PM10/19/11
to Magic Lantern firmware development
please tell us what you have done

i can´t find somthing

On 19 Okt., 18:08, Alex <broscutama...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > You've added a DIGIC V emulator!!??
>
> Wow, does it feel that fast? :)
>
> On Wed, Oct 19, 2011 at 6:37 PM, James Donnelly
>

> <jamesjdonne...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > You've added a DIGIC V emulator!!??
>
> > On 19 October 2011 15:56, Alex <broscutama...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> >> Today's update brings one (small) feature from the 1D X. I'll let you
> >> discover it ;)
>
> >> Hints:
> >> - it was mentioned in this thread
> >> - it's only for photo mode
> >> - I didn't find it on Canon USA, but it's mentioned on Canon Japan and
> >> on some blogs (not all)
>
> >> It was only tested on 550D and 60D.
>
> >> Other features:
> >> - shortcut key for protecting images quickly (LV button). Tested on
> >> 60D, might work in 600D too; in older cameras it's much more difficult
> >> to implement.
> >> - feedback when toggling trap focus with the shortcut (LED flash +
> >> optional beep)
> >> - level indicator tweaked as suggested by Malcolm
>
> >> For other cameras, the sensor value must be requested via SIO3/MREQ
> >> interface, which isn't fully understood yet. I've added it to the
> >> "vote for features" page; if there are users interested in it, I'll
> >> look at it again.
>
> >> On Wed, Oct 19, 2011 at 1:10 PM, Malcolm Debono <mdebon...@gmail.com>

unity2k

Oct 19, 2011, 12:16:08 PM10/19/11
to Magic Lantern firmware development
Same here, I've looked at all the ML menus, ISO settings, bracketing,
Canon menu's as maybe you buried it there, I can't find it. But like
you said, it's small.
> > >http://groups.google.com/group/ml-devel?hl=en- Hide quoted text -

Jolly Roger

Oct 19, 2011, 12:24:23 PM10/19/11