limits on the server

Gary Frederick

Apr 6, 2012, 8:09:00 AM4/6/12
to mit-appinv...@googlegroups.com, app-inventor-o...@googlegroups.com
I am not sure if I am allowed to say something here (in both MIT groups) but I thought it was worth posting and can handle it if MIT objects to this post.

A customer was having problems with multiple screens. He tested on the MIT Public server and on our company's Public server. I asked him to test on a Personal server running locally and his problem 'went away'...

and it got me thinking

and I asked the ai4a folks to test adding lots of screens
The feedback was you could get a good number of screens in an app. The limit would probably be the server limiting source to 5MB.

and!!!

someone else had a different version with 100 screens (not much else in there... I found just building 100 screens impressive :-))

He found that MIT's server would not load his source
and that the Personal server did just fine loading and building.

I tested on my company's Public server and it looks to me like it is taking longer than App Engine allows.

2012-04-06 05:46:07.622
Uncaught exception from servlet
java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: The referenced transaction has expired or is no longer valid.
and lots of other messages in that log entry.

It took a long time to build, 26 seconds when the Personal server running locally on my machine usually takes < 15 seconds.

We are looking at tuning and other things the Public MIT server does not do. I like that folks now have a way to use App Inventor with the MIT Public server. It gives most folks what they want
but if someone is having problems with their app being tooo big they can use a Personal server running locally.

Gary