updating the server, installing into the market, adding components and who knows what else

Gary

Mar 22, 2012, 1:19:21 PM3/22/12
to ai...@googlegroups.com
I got the source MIT just announced and added my changes to run on Windows. It works!!!
and one of the large projects that did not load the earlier MIT servers loaded
and built
and also built on a Personal server running locally
and the Personal server build was fast (4 times faster than a build on MIT's server)

I have a bunch of cleaning up and testing to do and then I will start releasing the servers.
I'll release to our customers first and then to the public.
I'll also release the source if MIT wants me to add it.

I have been waiting for the current source from MIT. I want to see what they did with the keystore
and!!! see if I can get an app to install into the Market (or whatever we call it these days)

and see what the additions to the web components give us

and get my activity starter and multiple windows examples running with the changes MIT finally passed on

and look at all the components I have been sitting on
like file i/o

This is a lot of work,
and I am not as fast as I was since I took an arrow to the knee
  have I mentioned my examples that use data from games like Skyrim and FFXIII?

Back to work!

Gary

Gary

Mar 23, 2012, 2:31:14 PM3/23/12
to ai...@googlegroups.com
I'm starting to get more results:

and finding interesting things:

The App Inventor server runs on a netbook from a USB stick.
They added an admin tab that could be useful for an instructor.
This bug http://code.google.com/p/mit-cml-app-inventor/issues/detail?id=19 they said they will not fix... works for me now.

and there is a switch in appengine-web.xml we can set if we do not want to send the mercurial build id to the buildserver.

I'm getting our translated docs into this version and testing more.

Hi Ho Hi Ho, it's back to work I go :-)

Gary

James Hancock

Mar 28, 2012, 6:10:16 AM3/28/12
to ai...@googlegroups.com
keep us posted gary, :)

Gary

Mar 28, 2012, 8:12:40 AM3/28/12
to ai...@googlegroups.com
I will let folks know

I am currently uhhh experiencing interesting behavior. Things that worked one way are not...

Gary

Gary

Mar 29, 2012, 6:05:11 AM3/29/12
to ai...@googlegroups.com
Let me start by saying

argh

phew, things are getting complex...

Some of us are going to do some testing to see how many screens can be added to an app

I have the source updated. Works but I had issues yesterday
  probably related to my lack of wisdom of eclipse and mercurial
  or because I was trying to test without thinking about what I was trying to test :-)

I did some testing with the Personal server running locally on a netbook (a netbook!)
It was starting to work! I was testing while waiting when I was out and about and will go back and clean up now that I have a better connection

I started to move the translated versions but ran into that oops that may be because I did not get eclipse/mercurial quite as tidy as I can
AND would really like some input on what we should do, lots of choices. I like English and that is already there.

and (should I say this?) I am also working on making App Inventor so we can install into Google Play without the other programs. The other programs work and have benefits. I think some would like to be able to install without using another program. I am not sure why Google/MIT has not released this and wonder if I am missing something.

woo hoo

Now to go untangle what I did to my source

Gary

Gary

Mar 30, 2012, 4:14:05 AM3/30/12
to ai...@googlegroups.com
Development went well yesterday, I even had a test app that installed into Google Play early in the morning!
Then I started fiddling with it...
and now nothing is working :-)

it was a new day yesterday...

Gary

Gary

Mar 30, 2012, 12:27:37 PM3/30/12
to ai...@googlegroups.com
I am now the proud author of an app that I built with App Inventor and then installed into Google Play
and another that runs on Google TV

woo hoo

It uses the buildserver running locally on Windows

WOO HOO

and unfortunately requires editing the source for the server
but I can fix that!

Gary

Anthony Barnes

Mar 30, 2012, 4:45:51 PM3/30/12
to ai...@googlegroups.com

Good job Gary!

Roger Belk

Mar 30, 2012, 7:40:04 PM3/30/12
to ai...@googlegroups.com
Link us to them Gary so we can admire your work. Google TV with AI Real Cool!
Thanks,
Big Daddy App
www.BigDaddyApp.com
Follow Big Daddy on Twitter
BIG DADDY APP's APPS
JOIN BDA on FACEBOOK

Gary

Mar 31, 2012, 5:51:38 AM3/31/12
to ai...@googlegroups.com
Here they are

The apps are simple App Inventor apps. They do nothing but show we can generate an .apk that can be installed into Google Play without using another program to 'fix' the .apk.

This one App Inventor in Play demo - Android Apps on Google Play is what I was using to test.
This one AIGP demo 02 - Android Apps on Google Play installs on a Google TV. It adds this to the manifest
  <uses-feature android:name="android.hardware.touchscreen" android:required="false"/>
and Google Play then knows what to do.

The test version of the buildserver generates a manifest that 'works'. All I did was uncomment the line in the source to include a version. I update the version when I put a new version into the store by recompiling the source. While that works for me, it may not be the best user experience for ALL ;-)

I am going slow, Marketizer and AppToMarket both work.
  and
One of the things App Inventor does is get the developer stuff out of the way. Once you are up and running, you can build, build, build. Whatever is added to the buildserver should be easy to start using.

Gary

Roger Belk

Mar 31, 2012, 7:59:52 PM3/31/12
to ai...@googlegroups.com

Now that is real good work. You are doing great work.
I'll play with that info and see if I can add anything to you.

Thank You
Roger Belk
Working from my NEXUS
www.bigdaddyapp.com
(903) 309-8465

Gary

Apr 1, 2012, 6:49:27 AM4/1/12
to ai...@googlegroups.com
Here is the secret change you have to make to enable publishing into the store

===== com.google.appinventor.buildserver.Compiler
          // TODO(markf): uncomment the following line when we're ready to enable publishing to the
          // Android Market.
          "android:versionCode=\"1\" " + "android:versionName=\"1.0\" " +
=====

The app reads the source and generates a manifest based on the permissions the app needs. Works and is simple to use. We need to be able to update the versionCode and versionName. I got it to install on Google TV by adding a line to the manifest. I am thinking of adding the ability to load and save a manifest, sorta like the keystore stuff that is now in the current source from MIT.

Hmmm

I am not done testing. I am looking at various things

and!!! MIT started this
and I can pull my app from the store that provided the date/time pickers via ActivityStarter
well... I can make it the example I wanted to make it way back then
it is part of asUtil, and that also gives us file i/o and enhanced listpickers
and I can see how MIT does the datepicker so I do not do something that does not fit (it would be nice if they shared more...)

and I am slowly looking at what can be done with the translations (it would be nice if the teams would give input...)

lots to do

Gary

On Saturday, March 31, 2012 6:59:52 PM UTC-5, Big Daddy App wrote:

Now that is real good work. You are doing great work.
I'll play with that info and see if I can add anything to you.

Thank You
Roger Belk
Working from my NEXUS
www.bigdaddyapp.com
(903) 309-8465

Roger Belk

Apr 1, 2012, 9:25:21 AM4/1/12
to ai...@googlegroups.com
Gary,
I seen that comment in the source and I guess I draw a roger moment and passed right over it. Great work. And Thanks.

Gary

Apr 2, 2012, 1:20:24 AM4/2/12
to ai...@googlegroups.com
I have a lot going on and updating the server is something I will do
some day...

Let us know if you follow up.

Gary

Gary

Apr 6, 2012, 7:28:25 AM4/6/12
to ai...@googlegroups.com
Someone tested the Personal server with his100 screen test.

and!!!

It will not load on MIT's server.
BUT!!!!!!!!!!!
It loads and builds on the Personal server.

I had someone else give a thumbs up on an app he was having problems with on Public servers. It worked on the Personal server.

and it is fast!

:-D :-D :-D

Gary

Gary

Apr 6, 2012, 7:39:50 AM4/6/12
to ai...@googlegroups.com
The App Engine folks updated the Java SDK

We pushed a new version of this SDK, Java version 1.6.4.1:
This version fixes a performance regression in the Java SDK on dev_appserver startup. We're updating the downloads page as I speak.

I'm updating to the new SDK. I'll say something if I find issues.

James Hancock

Apr 7, 2012, 4:34:36 AM4/7/12
to ai...@googlegroups.com
Just got the old one running...I think the editor has the same lag as the online version with really large screens. What ever tries to save the blk files is slowing it down, was there a workaround that anyone knows of except the 64 bit java and browser.
I have some ui ideas Ive been thinking about for the blocks editor, where should I write about those ?

Gary

Apr 7, 2012, 6:45:42 AM4/7/12
to ai...@googlegroups.com
I'll start a new topic here