[NEWS] Apple's A14 Outperforms New Snapdragon 888 Chip Coming in Future Android Phones

Your Name

Dec 18, 2020, 3:56:52 PM12/18/20

I 'wonder' why Arlen "Asshole Troll" Holder didn't cross-post this news
... obviously because it's not anti-Apple and he can't figure out how
to re-edit it to be so.

Apple's A14 Outperforms New Snapdragon 888 Chip Coming in Future Android Phones
<https://www.macrumors.com/2020/12/18/a14-compared-to-snapdragon-888-benchmarks/>

Android 2021 flagship Qualcomm 888 processor isn't as fast as the iPhone 12
<https://appleinsider.com/articles/20/12/18/android-2021-flagship-qualcomm-888-processor-isnt-as-fast-as-the-iphone-12>

badgolferman

Dec 18, 2020, 4:16:39 PM12/18/20
While the Snapdragon 888 doesn't look like it'll match the peak performance
scores of the A13 or A14 SoCs used in Apple's iPhones, sustained
performance will depend quite a bit on the power consumption of the chip.
If this lands in at between 4 and 4.5W, then the majority of flagship
Android phones in 2021 will likely be able to sustain this peak performance
figure and allow Qualcomm to regain the mobile performance crown from
Apple. Otherwise if the chip has to significantly throttle, then 888 will
probably fall short of retaking the crown. But even if that's the case, for
Android users it shouldn't matter too much: the generational leap over 2020
phones would still be immense, and by far one of the largest GPU
performance leaps Qualcomm has been able to achieve to date.

What will this look like in a year when the iPhone throttles performance?

nospam

Dec 18, 2020, 4:34:03 PM12/18/20
In article <rrj67k$va4$1...@gioia.aioe.org>, badgolferman
<REMOVETHISb...@gmail.com> wrote:

> While the Snapdragon 888 doesn't look like it'll match the peak performance
> scores of the A13 or A14 SoCs used in Apple's iPhones, sustained
> performance will depend quite a bit on the power consumption of the chip.
> If this lands in at between 4 and 4.5W, then the majority of flagship
> Android phones in 2021 will likely be able to sustain this peak performance
> figure and allow Qualcomm to regain the mobile performance crown from
> Apple. Otherwise if the chip has to significantly throttle, then 888 will
> probably fall short of retaking the crown. But even if that's the case, for
> Android users it shouldn't matter too much: the generational leap over 2020
> phones would still be immense, and by far one of the largest GPU
> performance leaps Qualcomm has been able to achieve to date.
>

> What will this look like in a year when the iPhone throttles performance?

apple does not throttle. stop repeating debunked crazy conspiracy
theories.

what apple does is clip peak demands (not the same thing) *if* *and*
*only* *if* the battery degrades to where such peaks cannot be handled.
this is a good thing. the alternative are sudden unexpected shutdowns
because the battery can't handle the demands.

android device makers do not bother and the phone often shuts down
unexpectedly. this is a bad thing. not only does it interrupt whatever
the user was doing, but it also risks data loss, and in extreme cases,
possible hardware damage. worse, if this happens during the boot
process, the device will end up in a never-ending bootloop, which is
really bad, as the phone is no longer usable.

<https://www.androidpolice.com/2017/04/14/google-may-sued-nexus-6p-early-
shutdown-bootloop-issues/>

sms

Dec 18, 2020, 5:21:44 PM12/18/20
On 12/18/2020 1:16 PM, badgolferman wrote:

<snip>

> While the Snapdragon 888 doesn't look like it'll match the peak performance
> scores of the A13 or A14 SoCs used in Apple's iPhones, sustained
> performance will depend quite a bit on the power consumption of the chip.
> If this lands in at between 4 and 4.5W, then the majority of flagship
> Android phones in 2021 will likely be able to sustain this peak performance
> figure and allow Qualcomm to regain the mobile performance crown from
> Apple. Otherwise if the chip has to significantly throttle, then 888 will
> probably fall short of retaking the crown. But even if that's the case, for
> Android users it shouldn't matter too much: the generational leap over 2020
> phones would still be immense, and by far one of the largest GPU
> performance leaps Qualcomm has been able to achieve to date.

One big advantage of the Snapdragon 888 is that the X60 modem is
integrated. That reduces power consumption and and saves space inside
the phone, leaving room for a slightly larger battery.

Until Apple has its own modem technology they'll continue to have to
have a two-chip solution unless Qualcomm is willing to license the X60
modem cell to Apple for them to integrate. Developing a 5G modem is a
lot more difficult than developing a CPU or GPU. Apple has a head start
with the Intel 4G IP that they purchased but the Intel 4G modem was
inferior to the Qualcomm 4G modem.

The small difference in peak CPU performance is pretty meaningless. No
one would ever detect that difference in actual usage.

nospam

Dec 18, 2020, 5:28:28 PM12/18/20
In article <rrja1n$oa1$1...@dont-email.me>, sms
<scharf...@geemail.com> wrote:

> The small difference in peak CPU performance is pretty meaningless. No
> one would ever detect that difference in actual usage.

yes they would for a wide variety of tasks, such as photography, ar and
much more.

JF Mezei

Dec 18, 2020, 8:15:06 PM12/18/20
On 2020-12-18 16:34, nospam wrote:

> apple does not throttle. stop repeating debunked crazy conspiracy
> theories.

Even Apple has documented thr slowing fown of the CPU when it feels the
battery can,t handle the load.

Settings - Battery - Battery Health lets you manage that policy.

For you to deny the obviously documented feature is really really really
stupid.

JF Mezei

Dec 18, 2020, 8:17:05 PM12/18/20
On 2020-12-18 17:21, sms wrote:

> The small difference in peak CPU performance is pretty meaningless. No
> one would ever detect that difference in actual usage.

I had the throttling kicks in on my 6s on a cold night and I can tell
you that it was next to impossible to take a picture. The image didn't
follow "live" your movements, and pressing on shuttle didn't result in
any immedia action and the sound of the shuttle came out secodns later.

At least the phone didn't shutdown abruptly like before.

nospam

Dec 18, 2020, 8:48:31 PM12/18/20
In article <tucDH.8996$VZ1....@fx44.iad>, JF Mezei
<jfmezei...@vaxination.ca> wrote:

> > apple does not throttle. stop repeating debunked crazy conspiracy
> > theories.
>
> Even Apple has documented thr slowing fown of the CPU when it feels the
> battery can,t handle the load.

you are once again snipping to alter context.

the original claim was that it throttles everything after one year.
that is *false*.

i explained that it only *clips* *peaks*, which is not the same thing.
it's nowhere close to the same thing. most people will never notice a
difference.

nospam

Dec 18, 2020, 8:48:32 PM12/18/20
In article <kwcDH.8997$VZ1...@fx44.iad>, JF Mezei
<jfmezei...@vaxination.ca> wrote:

> I had the throttling kicks in on my 6s on a cold night and I can tell
> you that it was next to impossible to take a picture. The image didn't
> follow "live" your movements, and pressing on shuttle didn't result in
> any immedia action and the sound of the shuttle came out secodns later.

cold temps impact battery performance. no surprise there.

just ask any towing company about how many vehicles that won't start in
the winter months.

> At least the phone didn't shutdown abruptly like before.

that's a plus.

Arlen Holder

Dec 19, 2020, 9:16:29 AM12/19/20
On Sat, 19 Dec 2020 09:56:49 +1300, Your Name wrote:

> obviously because it's not anti-Apple

All you Type III Apple apologists think alike.
o You think anyone who tells the factual truth, must be anti-Apple.

It happens all the time that these Type III apologist's brains simply can't
fathom that people can speak the truth about _all_ operating systems.

Why?
o I don't know why.

I suspect these TYPE III apologists _only_ read MARKETING shills
o Such that they've _never_ seen nor contemplated actual facts about Apple.

There's an entire thread on these strange people who claim you can only
speak good things about Apple, and even more so, if you say the truth about
Apple, you must be "anti Apple" (even if you own plenty of Apple hardware):
o What to tell Apple Apologists who claim anyone who speaks facts is "down on Apple" (i.e., they conflict with Apple Marketing)?
<https://groups.google.com/g/misc.phone.mobile.iphone/c/z7HCl4tm71E>

The truth is I speak the truth about all operating systems I use, whether
that's Canonical's Ubuntu which they screwed up with Unity; or if it's
Windows 10 trying to force you to create a Microsoft Account, or if it's
Android where Google grabs your sqlite contacts database without even
giving you the opportunity to stop it (if you use the Google MUA).

Yet, these Type III apologists like Your Name are completely unused to
people who speak facts about all operating systems they use every day.

And then, these Type III apologists attack you (e.g., they attack Gordon
Moore simply for saying facts about Apple that they themselves don't like).

Why?
o I don't know why.

I suspect all these Type III apologists are cultists, who are so weak
minded that they allow MARKETING to set their definition of self worth.

For example, MARKETING tells 'em the camera quality of output is the best
o And yet, iPhones can barely break into the top 10 most of the time

Those are facts which, if you point them to the cites, they'll say that the
test reviewers were "bribed" (true story - from nospam himself), where any
outfit that doesn't put Apple in the top must be, by definition, bribed.

Can you believe what these Apologists actually believe?
o It's why I claim it's apologists who ruin this newsgroup for everyone.

Not the people who speak facts and who have _never_ been wrong on facts!
o Note: People obsess about "assessments" which are different from facts!

Did'ja ever wonder, for example, why TYPE III apologists always attack the
bearer of mere facts? I have. I believe that they have self identified with
Apple's MARKETING messaging (admittedly Apple's brilliant specialty).

So whenever Apple MARKETING messaging is show to be untrue, (e.g., battery
life claims, throttling excuses, hurdles in consumer repair, privacy leaks
galore, security leaps like you can't believe, they're so sophomoric,
etc.), these Type III apologists react with pure hateful vicious vitriol.

Why?
o I don't know why.

I suspect any truthful fact about Apple which conflicts with the MARKETING
messages Apple fed to these Type III apologists, is considered by these
TYPE III apologists as a direct attack against them (i.e., their self
worth).

Since they take all of their self worth from MARKETING, they themselves
can't fathom anyone else who actually looks at the facts, & not the BS.
--
One bug.... and the entire untested core iOS house of cards falls down.
<https://groups.google.com/g/misc.phone.mobile.iphone/c/7Mc1sX9XISA>

sms

Dec 19, 2020, 9:24:56 AM12/19/20
Also, everyone throttles based on thermals and performance requirements,
when necessary. This isn't a bug, it's allowing the CPU to run as fast
as possible for as long as possible, when necessary. On a laptop, you
can choose the balance between performance and run-time, and many phones
allow this as well.

The iPhone throttling that was due to shutdown issues was not due to
thermal issues, and technically not caused by the battery, though a new
battery mitigated the underlying cause.

Starting with the iPhone 8, Apple acknowledged that they made changes to
the power circuitry to prevent throttling due to an aging battery.
Cryptically, they said "iiPhone 8, iPhone 8 Plus, and iPhone X models
include hardware updates that allow a more advanced performance
management system that more precisely allows iOS to anticipate and avoid
an unexpected shutdown." While they didn't state the exact hardware
changes, the teardowns of the iPhone 8 (compared to the iPhone 7)
immediately discovered the rather major hardware change.

If you've ever done designs with Li-Ion batteries, you'd understand the
importance of the power conversion circuitry and how it needs to be
designed to function even as the battery ages; the usual design goal is
that you want run-time to slowly decrease until the battery requires
replacement, you don't want to negatively affect performance without
explicit consent from the user.

Though it's still possible that a severely aged and highly used battery
could cause throttling in newer models, there have been no reports of
this occurring. Of course it's only been three years since the 8 was
introduced so we might see some instances of battery related throttling
start to occur in heavily used phones; no problem, a replacement battery
will solve the problem.

sms

Dec 19, 2020, 9:33:25 AM12/19/20
On 12/18/2020 5:17 PM, JF Mezei wrote:
> On 2020-12-18 17:21, sms wrote:
>
>> The small difference in peak CPU performance is pretty meaningless. No
>> one would ever detect that difference in actual usage.
>

> I had the throttling kicks in on my 6s on a cold night and I can tell
> you that it was next to impossible to take a picture. The image didn't
> follow "live" your movements, and pressing on shuttle didn't result in
> any immedia action and the sound of the shuttle came out secodns later.

But we're not talking about a iPhone 6s versus a Galaxy S7. The
multi-core benchmarks for the 888 were close to the A14 (3794 versus 4187).

It'll be interesting to see if there is thermal throttling on the 888
due to the integrated 5G modem. This is the first flagship chip where
the modem is integrated. It's a big advantage in terms of manufacturing
cost and board space to eliminate the separate modem, and it may also
positively affect download and upload speeds. Apple's integrated 5G
modem is probably at least two years away unless their Qualcomm
agreement allows them to put the X60 modem inside their next CPU.

nospam

Dec 19, 2020, 9:42:07 AM12/19/20
In article <rrl2fn$mrr$1...@dont-email.me>, sms
<scharf...@geemail.com> wrote:

> The iPhone throttling that was due to shutdown issues was not due to
> thermal issues, and technically not caused by the battery, though a new
> battery mitigated the underlying cause.

it was the battery. there is no avoiding physics.

> Starting with the iPhone 8, Apple acknowledged that they made changes to
> the power circuitry to prevent throttling due to an aging battery.

in other words, it is the battery.

nospam

Dec 19, 2020, 9:42:08 AM12/19/20
In article <rrl2vk$qg1$1...@dont-email.me>, sms
<scharf...@geemail.com> wrote:

> It'll be interesting to see if there is thermal throttling on the 888
> due to the integrated 5G modem.

of course there will be. there is no avoiding physics.

Arlen Holder

Dec 19, 2020, 9:58:26 AM12/19/20
On Fri, 18 Dec 2020 21:16:36 +0000 (UTC), badgolferman wrote:

> Otherwise if the chip has to significantly throttle, then 888 will
> probably fall short of retaking the crown.

Hi badgolferman,

You're not an apologist, so innuendo in adult thought processes is possible.
o Hence, in this post, I ask you what a "reasonable" person would assess.

What would a reasonable person say the true benchmark speeds are of a CPU
which, when put in a design, has to be throttled to about half speed in
about a year's time (due to the puny battery going through it's normal
aging process)?

While nospam will provide clever innuendo, of the kind Apple gave Congress
in February 2019 that throttling wasn't "as" necessary for the iPhone X,
and, yet, on the last day of October of that year, Apple pushed the
throttling software to the very phones it wasn't "as" necessary to put on.

Add to the fact that _every_ iOS release since iOS 10 (i.e., iOS 10, iOS11,
iOS 12 and iOS 13) added throttling software to more and more iPhones each
time (the "new" throttling software going on the year-old iPhones).

Noting that the throttling wasn't added in the xx.0 release, what
confidence do you have that Apple won't add last years' phones to the
throttling in some future revision of iOS 14?

Add to the fact of throttling software pushed onto almost every iPhone out
there, add the fact that the iPhone 12 batteries are puny, by all accounts
(except MARKETING, but MARKETING's battery claims have _never_ been
substantiated in the real world).

Given those facts, how would you assess the true benchmark speed of an
iPhone 12 after about a year?

Bearing in mind people found the _secret_ throttling in about a year
because benchmarks plummeted, I'd defend as a reasonable assessment
halving any benchmark of any recent iPhone CPU in about a year.

So while this A14 is perhaps marginally faster than the Snapdragon 888,
it will be half the speed of the Snapdragon 888 after only about a year.

Arlen Holder

Dec 19, 2020, 10:12:00 AM12/19/20
On Sat, 19 Dec 2020 09:42:05 -0500, nospam wrote:

>> Starting with the iPhone 8, Apple acknowledged that they made changes to
>> the power circuitry to prevent throttling due to an aging battery.
>
> in other words, it is the battery.

While Steve is correct it's the battery that begins the throttling cascade,
had Apple simply designed the "power train" to be stable even with a year
old battery, then the secret, drastic, and permanent throttling would need
not have been implemented.

As it stands, the iPhone 12 has a laughably puny battery by all counts
(save for MARKETING brochures), which indicates all the more so that
throttling is in the near future for these new iPhone 12 models.

Every cognizant adult is aware that Apple added more and more CPUs to the
throttling list in _every_ iOS release since iOS 10, where in iOS 11 they
added the previous years' lineup, in iOS 12 they added the previous years'
lineup, in iOS 13 they added the previous years' lineup... and we're still
in iOS 14.

But what is a reasonable person to expect Apple to do given they've already
put the throttling software on almost every new'ish iPhone in use today.

Any rational logical sensible adult would have to assume the benchmark of
the new A14 to be about _half_ of what is reported today, after only about
a year.

Also, given everyone (to a man) save for Apple clearly reasons that the
batteries in the iPhone 12 are puny for the task assigned to them (e.g., 5G
is a power hog, which only Apple MARKETING claims to have solved), it's
even _more_ likely that the iPhone 12 series will get mandatory throttling
in about a year.

In summary, the only rational benchmark result for the A14 after about a
year, is half of what is reported today on a new device with a new battery.

Arlen Holder

Dec 19, 2020, 10:34:31 AM12/19/20
On Fri, 18 Dec 2020 16:34:01 -0500, nospam wrote:

> android device makers do not bother and the phone often shuts down
> unexpectedly. this is a bad thing.

Hi nospam,

Only Apple pulls these half-speed throttling & hard-to-repair stunts.
o You simply don't like that this is a fact that you don't happen to like.

You only have 7 defenses to facts, none of which are adult...
o And a card you always pull is to blame anyone but Apple for Apple's flaws

The facts are that _nobody_ in Android OEM land pulls the anti-consumer
stunts that Apple frequently pulls. Nobody.

Plus, dollar for dollar, as compared to iPhones, most Android OEMs offer a
far larger battery (e.g., mine aftermarket battery my S3 was 7,000 mAh!).

Given Android "everything" is more than iPhones (e.g., cpu cores, RAM
footprint, integrated modem, larger batteries, etc.), you're comparing a
rotten apple to an orange.

Only Apple pulls these half-speed throttling & hard-to-repair stunts.
o Only Apple.

If there was an Android OEM who was as anti-repair as Apple, why hasn't
anyone found it in the thread which you know about & nobody yet has found a
single Android OEM who pulls the anti-repair & throttling stunts of Apple?
o Do any Android phone manufacturers throttle (CPUs, PD Charging, Modems) like Apple consistently does?
<https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/misc.phone.mobile.iphone/ZTmmGoAndyM>

Arlen Holder

Dec 19, 2020, 10:40:12 AM12/19/20
On Fri, 18 Dec 2020 20:48:29 -0500, nospam wrote:

> the original claim was that it throttles everything after one year.
> that is *false*.

Hi nospam,

Please tell us the answer to this question of fact:
o Why does Apple bother to add throttling software after about a year?

Given nospam is a "Type I" apologist, you have to give him credit for being
just like MARKETING (where he parrots what they say, but he, himself,
doesn't believe a word of what he claims - as he's not that stupid).

Nobody said everything is automatically throttled...
o What "I" said was the throttling _software_ is added after about a year.

Nobody on the planet can dispute that fact since it's a well-known fact.
o Although I'm sure the Type III apologists will simply deny that fact.

Given all adults will agree on that fact, the question now is of assessment
o Why does Apple bother to put throttling software after about a year?

What the heck do you think Apple is doing that for, nospam?
o Tell us. I need a laugh.
--
Apologists have only 7 excuses for Apple's behavior, none of which are
adult.

Arlen Holder

Dec 19, 2020, 10:46:56 AM12/19/20
On Sat, 19 Dec 2020 06:24:53 -0800, sms wrote:

> Cryptically, they said "iiPhone 8, iPhone 8 Plus, and iPhone X models
> include hardware updates that allow a more advanced performance
> management system that more precisely allows iOS to anticipate and avoid
> an unexpected shutdown."

It's hard to tell if Steve understands what he just wrote as he doesn't
check his facts, and, in fact, he filters out facts automatically.

The fact is that Apple told Congress in late February 2019 that throttling
wasn't "as" necessary on the iPhone 8 & X models (of that time period).

And yet, the fact remains Apple added throttling software to those very
same iPhones where it wasn't "as" necessary, on October 31st of that same
year.
o Every iPhone CPU from the iPhone 6 to iPhone 7 were throttled, then iPhone 8 to iPhone X were throttled & now the iPhone XS, iPhone XS Max & iPhone XR get throttling software
<https://groups.google.com/g/misc.phone.mobile.iphone/c/Mzh1IvniDr8>

While nospam brazenly denied that fact, even Apple doesn't deny that fact:
o What is wrong with the Apple Apologists that they deny even what Apple admitted?
<https://groups.google.com/g/misc.phone.mobile.iphone/c/fyL1cQUVCp0>

FACTS & ASSESSMENTS of fact are what _adults_ do, nospam:
o FACT: Apple added throttling software in iOS 10, 11, 12, and 13
o FACT: The iPhone 8 and X got that throttling software, nospam.

o ASSESSMENT: You tell us _why_.
--
Go ahead nospam, tell us why (I need a good laugh right now).

Arlen Holder

Dec 19, 2020, 10:52:51 AM12/19/20
On Fri, 18 Dec 2020 14:21:41 -0800, sms wrote:

> Apple has a head start
> with the Intel 4G IP that they purchased but the Intel 4G modem was
> inferior to the Qualcomm 4G modem.

Hi Steve,

You're a TYPE II apologist, which is to say you don't act with malice
o You just never seem to be able to double check your facts, Steve.

I'd debate your choice of "head start" when it comes to Apple & modems
o Apple is multiple generations _behind_ Qualcomm/Samsung in modem design

> The small difference in peak CPU performance is pretty meaningless. No
> one would ever detect that difference in actual usage.

Bear in mind, every iOS release since iOS 10 (namely 11, 12, & 13) added
more and more iPhones to their throttling package downloaded via updates.

Given iOS 14 is still young, what makes anyone logical believe Apple won't
continue to add throttling to more and more iPhones after about a year?

Why do you think they _put_ that throttling software if it's not to use it?

Bear in mind, not only is 5G a power hog, but only Apple doesn't seem
worried that they coupled the 5G functionality with a downright puny
battery.

Any sensible adult would have to surmise these iPhone 12 models will be
throttled like you can't believe, after only about a years' use.

In summary, that slight increase in performance will be "mud" in about a
year, if Apple adds throttling and if it turns on, due to the puny battery
starting the cascade that is the poor design of the power circuitry.
--
The only place Apple's power design is lauded, is in Apple MARKETING.

Arlen Holder

Dec 19, 2020, 10:59:04 AM12/19/20
On Fri, 18 Dec 2020 20:17:04 -0500, JF Mezei wrote:

> I had the throttling kicks in on my 6s on a cold night

Hi JF Mezei,

The only reliable benchmark of a recent Apple CPU is to cut it in half.

Given you're not an apologist, you won't be just brazenly making everything
up or blaming Android for your throttling, as nospam will be doing, I'm
sure, in his response defending MARKETING to the death.

He'll even claim that Apple was "saving you" from the otherwise unstable
power design, where your only choice, even today is:
a. Accept unacceptable performance, or,
b. Accept unacceptable stability.
You _must_ choose one!

If you choose unacceptable performance, he'll claim that luckily, you got
stability out of the deal; and yet, if you choose unacceptable stability,
he'll claim that it's good you got performance out of that selection.

Wow.
o Choices.

Amazing that Apple give you so many choices!
--
FACTS & ASSESSMENTS of fact are what _adults_ do, nospam:
o FACT: Apple added throttling software in iOS 10, 11, 12, and 13
o FACT: The iPhone 8 and X got that iOS 13 throttling software, nospam.
o ASSESSMENT: Why don't you tell us _why_, nospam?

Arlen Holder

Dec 19, 2020, 11:05:02 AM12/19/20
On Sat, 19 Dec 2020 09:42:06 -0500, nospam wrote:

>> It'll be interesting to see if there is thermal throttling on the 888
>> due to the integrated 5G modem.
>
> of course there will be. there is no avoiding physics.

FACTS & ASSESSMENTS of those facts; it's what adults deal with, nospam.

Apparently zero Android OEMs added throttling software in an OS update, nospam.
o If they did, why didn't you post that information to the on-topic thread?

o Do any Android phone manufacturers throttle (CPUs, PD Charging, Modems) like Apple consistently does?
<https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/misc.phone.mobile.iphone/ZTmmGoAndyM>

And how many Android OEMs throttle to half speed almost every CPU they've
made in the past five or so years (since iOS 10 release date) due to a
battery that was designed, from the start, to be too puny?

HINT: Never even once have Apple MARKETING battery claims been validated!
o Every Apple iPhone model tested vastly overstated battery life claims
<https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/misc.phone.mobile.iphone/Q-x-uIzovg4>
--
HINT: The answer of habitual Android OEM throttling in an OS update is zero.
o Only Apple pulls these stunts, nospam.

nospam

Dec 19, 2020, 11:39:31 AM12/19/20
In article <rrl8ba$10mt$1...@gioia.aioe.org>, Arlen Holder
<arlen_...@newmachines.com> wrote:

> Apparently zero Android OEMs added throttling software in an OS update,

apparently, they do.

<https://www.consumeraffairs.com/news/samsung-fined-millions-for-slowing-
down-phones-through-updates-102518.html>
Samsung has been fined $5.7 million after an investigation by an
Italian watchdog group found that the company had been slowing
down smartphones through new updates.

<https://www.reddit.com/r/lgg8/comments/d6sd4v/did_lg_just_system_thrott
le_the_lg_g8_with_the/>
Did LG just system throttle the LG g8 with the last security patch?
I was getting 60fps performance on dolphin, and then it throttled
to 40-30fps. My geek bench scores also tanked after that security
update. They don't throttle phones my ass

Arlen Holder

Dec 19, 2020, 12:34:46 PM12/19/20
On Sat, 19 Dec 2020 11:39:30 -0500, nospam wrote:

> apparently, they do.
>
> <https://www.consumeraffairs.com/news/samsung-fined-millions-for-slowing-
> down-phones-through-updates-102518.html>

Hi nospam,

Here's a case where I must assume you don't believe a word you just said.
o Because the 2 situations are _completely_ different in every way possible.

"Samsung has been fined E5 million (approximately $5.7 million) for
problems surrounding its Android Marshmallow 6.0.1 update.
The update was meant for the Galaxy Note 7 but Samsung failed to warn
users that when installed on the older Note 4, the update caused the
phone to malfunction"
<https://www.highsnobiety.com/p/apple-samsung-fined-slowing-down-phones/>

What you know, nospam because you're not as stupid as what you post implies
1. Samsung immediately STOPPED doing that (see above)
2. It happened to _one_ Samsung model (they gave an old phone a newer OS)

Even you, nospam, can't possibly believe this is the same as what Apple did
o Nor is it the same as what Apple _still_ does, even today, to iPhones

Please tell me you're not so stupid as to believe these 2 cases similar
o You're just hoping everyone who reads your post, is an idiot who can't

Besides, you only have 7 responses to fact, none of which is adult.
o One of those responses is to blame everyone but Apple for what Apple does

Another is to imply that what others do is what Apple did
o Where what you point to is _nothing_ like what Apple did & is doing today

You think I don't know _every_ one of your lame excuses by now?
o What Samsung did is/was always completely different from what Apple did.

Because you have no defense to that salient fact, you just keep pointing to
the 2018 Samsung case long after were proved, beyond any possible doubt,
that what Apple did, and what Apple is _still_ doing, is completely
different than what Samsung accidentally did (& which they stopped doing).

You've already posted this lame excuse so many times that I guess you think
the average Apple user on this newsgroup is dumb enough to consider it a
parallel.

There are many ways to prove it's _not_ a parallel, by the way.
o One of which is to ask whether Samsung is _still_ doing this as Apple is?

The other is clearly what Samsung was doing, which was _nothing_ like what
Apple was doing (Apple admitted purposefully slowing down the CPU speeds).

By way of _huge_ contrast that only an apologist could believe, the Samsung
updates inadvertently lowered performance (much like how adding a firewall
or an installation tracker can lower overall performance).

In the case of Samsung, they put a Note 7 OS into a Note 4, which had the
result of lowering performance - but they quickly and immediately stopped
that because, they say, they had no intention of lowering performance.

Even if that was their _secret_ intention, it didn't happen to other phones
and it's not happening now, and particularly it's not happening in the
brand new phones.

Contrast that with Apple who is putting the throttling software in _every_
release, adding more phones in iOS 10, then adding more in iOS 11, then
adding still more in iOS 12 and then adding more still in iOS 13.

BTW, Apple already admitted criminal guilt, and settled most of the class
action claims (AFAIK) in the USA, and yet, Apple is _still_ to this very
day putting throttling software on phones only about a year old.

Has Samsung either admitted guilt (they said they'd appeal but your article
is dated) or does Samsung _still_ cause phones to have lowered performance
because they put the newer update into the older phone?
--
HINT: I do not think nospam is as stupid as his claim suggests he is.

badgolferman

Dec 19, 2020, 2:08:33 PM12/19/20
Speaking of batteries, today my wife came to me complaining about her
iPhone 7 shutting itself down constantly and not holding a charge. I
checked her Battery Health and saw it was at 58% so I transferred all her
stuff to another iPhone 7 for now. After a couple years of using the iPhone
she wants to return to Android.

So why is the phone shutting down at 58% capacity? It’s not like the
battery is completely dead. Even car batteries still have enough power to
turn an engine over with far less usable life than that.

nospam

Dec 19, 2020, 3:03:37 PM12/19/20
In article <rrlj36$95p$1...@gioia.aioe.org>, badgolferman
<REMOVETHISb...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Speaking of batteries, today my wife came to me complaining about her
> iPhone 7 shutting itself down constantly and not holding a charge. I
> checked her Battery Health and saw it was at 58% so I transferred all her
> stuff to another iPhone 7 for now. After a couple years of using the iPhone
> she wants to return to Android.
>
> So why is the phone shutting down at 58% capacity? It零 not like the
> battery is completely dead.

likely because it can't sustain peak loads.

sudden shutdowns is the scenario that limiting peak demands was
designed to solve.

which would your wife prefer, unexpected sudden shutdowns or a phone
that is very slightly slower in a few (but not all) tasks?

> Even car batteries still have enough power to
> turn an engine over with far less usable life than that.

you're confusing a number of things.

the 58% represents battery *health*. it's not that healthy anymore.

a weak battery cannot sustain peak demands. it's also possible it might
have a failed internal cell, which reverse charges and causes the
battery voltage to drop below what is needed to power the device, at
which point it shuts down.

the remedy is simple: replace the battery.

it's common for older car batteries to power the radio, but fall flat
when it comes time to crank the engine. cold temperatures also affect
how much power they can source, which is why being unable to start the
engine in the winter months is more common.

some voltmeters will apply a load to give a more realistic test (most
don't).

Arlen Holder

Dec 19, 2020, 3:37:22 PM12/19/20
On 19 Dec 2020 20:16:17 GMT, Jolly Roger wrote:

> It is in fact quite common for devices with dying batteries and
> no throttling functionality to spontaneously shut down when the battery
> isn't fully charged.

What ceases to shock me is the utter gullibility of Type III apologists!
o Apologists never seem to own a single iota of logical thought processes.

The answer to one question, and one question alone, explains the problem:
o *Why is it only new'ish iPhones have this "physics" problem, Jolly Roger?*

The fact apologists blame physics for what it clearly _only_ an iPhone
problem, is one of the reasons I state apologists are unlike normal people
--
Apologists never seem to own a single iota of logical thought processes.

badgolferman

Dec 19, 2020, 4:01:30 PM12/19/20
nospam wrote:

>the remedy is simple: replace the battery.

Probably won't since she decided she wants an android again. And if
she sticks with the replacement iphone7 I gave her the battery health
on that is 90%.

Speaking of replacing batteries, which models must be serviced at Apple
stores with their own parts?

nospam

Dec 19, 2020, 4:06:57 PM12/19/20
In article <xn0mmuast...@nntp.aioe.org>, badgolferman
<REMOVETHISb...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Speaking of replacing batteries, which models must be serviced at Apple
> stores with their own parts?

none 'must' be, however, there are no guarantees if you do it yourself
and screw it up. apple will do it correctly and guarantee the results.

Alan Browne

Dec 19, 2020, 4:32:29 PM12/19/20
None. So who can do it?

- Apple
- 3rd party - Apple certified.
- 3rd party - not Apple certified
- Yourself - some special tools may be needed (iFixIt supply these, for
example, as well as step by step instructions).

Apple and Apple certified: guaranteed.
Not certified: probably guaranteed: ask first.
Yourself, guaranteed. By you.

--
"...there are many humorous things in this world; among them the white
man's notion that he is less savage than the other savages."

badgolferman

Dec 19, 2020, 5:49:40 PM12/19/20
Isn’t there a message that keeps popping up if you do it yourself or take
it to a store that isn’t “certified”?

nospam

Dec 19, 2020, 5:52:07 PM12/19/20
In article <rrm020$2hp$1...@gioia.aioe.org>, badgolferman
<REMOVETHISb...@gmail.com> wrote:

> >> Speaking of replacing batteries, which models must be serviced at Apple
> >> stores with their own parts?
> >
> > none 'must' be, however, there are no guarantees if you do it yourself
> > and screw it up. apple will do it correctly and guarantee the results.
> >

> Isnąt there a message that keeps popping up if you do it yourself or take
> it to a store that isnąt łcertified˛?

nope.

all that happens is you don't get battery health data, since that
cannot be guaranteed.

badgolferman

Dec 19, 2020, 6:03:18 PM12/19/20
nospam <nos...@nospam.invalid> wrote:

>>> none 'must' be, however, there are no guarantees if you do it yourself
>>> and screw it up. apple will do it correctly and guarantee the results.
>>>

>> Isn¹t there a message that keeps popping up if you do it yourself or take
>> it to a store that isn¹t ³certified²?
>
> nope.
>
> all that happens is you don't get battery health data, since that
> cannot be guaranteed.

Why must it be guaranteed at all? The Battery Health meter can just report
the battery condition as is without a guarantee. It’s more likely they are
removing a feature you bought for to punish you for not going to the Apple
Store.

nospam

Dec 19, 2020, 6:26:00 PM12/19/20
In article <rrm0rj$ct2$1...@gioia.aioe.org>, badgolferman
<REMOVETHISb...@gmail.com> wrote:

> >> Isn1t there a message that keeps popping up if you do it yourself or take
> >> it to a store that isn1t 3certified2?
> >
> > nope.
> >
> > all that happens is you don't get battery health data, since that
> > cannot be guaranteed.
> >

> Why must it be guaranteed at all?

because there are a lot of batteries which lie about their health,
capacity and other data, and not just for iphones either.

> The Battery Health meter can just report
> the battery condition as is without a guarantee.

except that is meaningless if the battery reports false data.

> It零 more likely they are
> removing a feature you bought for to punish you for not going to the Apple
> Store.

nope.

if that was their goal, they'd have blocked all third party batteries,
which they have not done.

apple has an authentication procedure to guarantee that the battery is
genuine and is reporting accurate data.

third party batteries do not have any such guarantee. they will
certainly work as replacement batteries, but battery health will be
unavailable.

Your Name

Dec 19, 2020, 7:01:00 PM12/19/20
Apart from devices still under warranty (and even that is you choice),
technically none of them *has* to be replaced at a Apple Store /
Authorised repair shop ... but you take your chances with some of the
unauthorised repair centres possibly using low quality (potentially
dangerous) batteries or damaging the device. You can even replace it
yourself if you've got the skills for taking apart Apple devices and
get the proper equipment.

Alan Browne

Dec 19, 2020, 7:13:10 PM12/19/20
Of course not.

Alan Browne

Dec 19, 2020, 7:16:27 PM12/19/20
^Hyperbole.

There are plenty of reliable battery suppliers and the tools to do the
change are easily available. As are "how to" web pages and videos.

Arlen Holder

Dec 19, 2020, 10:06:52 PM12/19/20
On Sat, 19 Dec 2020 21:01:26 +0000 (UTC), badgolferman wrote:

>>the remedy is simple: replace the battery.
>
> Probably won't since she decided she wants an android again. And if
> she sticks with the replacement iphone7 I gave her the battery health
> on that is 90%.

Hi badgolferman,

I see nospam is giving you decent advice, so I'll try to add value
elsewhere.

I don't often see people switching between Android & iOS presumably because
the entire ecosystem is completely different (in so many ways it's not
funny).

However, my wife and kids have Android phones I bought them, and also
iPads, and they have no problem whatsoever with the two ecosystems side by
side. My problems with iOS are simply that it doesn't do much, but what iOS
does do, it does fine (e.g., facetime, zoom, google voice, etc.).

So I'm curious that you wife would contemplate switching to Android.

I've studied why people like iOS versus Android, but all I ever get out of
the Apple owners is what Apple MARKETING would have told them, so it's hard
to tell when almost nobody I've asked has any independent thought processes
(outside of Apple propaganda).

We can tell she doesn't like the phone being unstable (who would), nor
having its performance drastically cut, but simply prematurely replacing
the battery (as nospam said) should give her another year of stability.

Seems to me the battery replacement (while clearly premature) should be a
_lot_ cheaper than buying a $100 Android phone like my 64GB/4GB Moto G7.

If you want to do it yourself, this iFixit page for the iPhone 7 may help:
o iPhone 7 Battery Replacement
<https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/iPhone+7+Battery+Replacement/67528>

They claim it takes from a half an hour (yeah, right... not for a first
timer) to 2 hours, where I suspect it will be even longer than that, where,
I'm sure it would take me double that as I've never done it and you have
to have all the right tools and warnings ahead of time.

If you want Apple to do it, here's a web page from Apple on the subject:
o iPhone battery replacement pricing - United States
<https://support.apple.com/iphone/repair/service/battery-power>

They say it costs $49 (let's call that 50) plus 6.95 S&H (let's call that
7), so about 57 dollars (round it to about 60 dollars).

Bear in mind Apple will also replace things like a cracked screen, the
condition of the phone will be important if Apple does more work on it.

Personally, I'd buy another $100 Moto G7 in an instant (I love that
phone!), but that sale is no more but I'm sure others will come, e.g.,
o What are the best Black Friday deals for cellphone stocking stuffers this year?
<https://groups.google.com/g/comp.mobile.android/c/Nx0ELUy7utg>

The Motorola (aka Lenovo) phones are always on sale somewhere, where you
can get from about $100 to $200 off the retail price in most cases.

Hope this helps, where I'm sure nospam will explain to you what he'd do
(which is almost certainly to have Apple replace the battery for about
$60).

You have to weigh the $60 to get the old phone repaired, where every year
or so you'll have to prematurely replace the battery, or, you can look for
a deal like my $130 LG Stylo 3 Plus or my $100 Moto G7 when they're on
sale.
--
Posted out of the goodness of my heart, to help someone where I can.

Arlen Holder

Dec 19, 2020, 10:19:26 PM12/19/20
On Sat, 19 Dec 2020 18:25:59 -0500, nospam wrote:

> third party batteries do not have any such guarantee. they will
> certainly work as replacement batteries, but battery health will be
> unavailable.

Apple, who fights all legislation to make it easier to repair, has been
known to intentionally brick iPhones that were not repaired by them, so
it's a good question you ask, in order to ensure Apple won't unilaterally
brick your phone if you repair it yourself.
o Finally Apple reverses policy ... Maybe they care about the customer (maybe for the first time EVER)?
<https://groups.google.com/g/misc.phone.mobile.iphone/c/_mmzNV73MuU>

Then again, Gizmodo called those Apple repair policies "bullshit":
o Gizmodo uses the word BULLSHIT to explain Apple's independent repair policy statements with respect to actual contractual facts
<https://groups.google.com/g/misc.phone.mobile.iphone/c/l5YyqPIQXCY>

The independent repair shops are also disappointed with Apple's behavior:
o Independent repair shops disappointed with Apple's repair programs
<https://groups.google.com/g/misc.phone.mobile.iphone/c/qIXtCvV2Wtc>

I'm sure nospam will take MARKETING's point of view which is that it's your
fault the battery prematurely died, and it's your fault if you don't take
it to Apple for your $60 repair that no other phone on the planet requires.

For Type I apologists like nospam, it's _always_ your fault, and _never_
the fault of Apple, and, in fact, nospam will blame Samsung or Google for
your battery issues on your iPhone 7.

Just watch.
--
Only Apple products have this problem - Android phones just work fine.

Arlen Holder

Dec 19, 2020, 10:27:52 PM12/19/20
On Sat, 19 Dec 2020 19:13:09 -0500, Alan Browne wrote:

>> Isnÿt there a message that keeps popping up if you do it yourself or take
>> it to a store that isnÿt ´certified¡?
>
> Of course not.

Are you joking Alan Browne?
o The concerns of badgolferman are perfectly valid as to caveat emptor.

Besides, you must _know_ Apple pulls these stunts on iPhone owners,
particularly for the display they do, so badgolferman is sensible in
worrying what sleazy tricks Apple might have in store for him on his iPhone
7 premature battery replacement.

o Even if a genuine Apple display is used by your repairer, you will receive the warning messages based on the price of the tools repairers used
<https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/misc.phone.mobile.iphone/5Ge0WpaDjjM>

Nobody else but Apple pulls these sleazy repair prevention stunts:

o Is there an Android manufacturer who employs the customer unfriendly repair practices that Apple foists upon its loyal customer base?
<https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/comp.mobile.android/lnf8QiyaYr4>
--
The strategy is to lock the owner in a prison where Apple is the warden.

Lewis

Dec 20, 2020, 8:06:14 AM12/20/20
In message <rrj67k$va4$1...@gioia.aioe.org> badgolferman <REMOVETHISb...@gmail.com> wrote:
> While the Snapdragon 888 doesn't look like it'll match the peak performance
> scores of the A13

tl;dr: Qualcomm us more than a year behind Apple.

(rest of bullshit rationalizing and lies removed).

--
And, btw, my face cannot go blue because I have no face, I am not
like that... --Dorayme, in a fit of nonsensical drivel

Arlen Holder

Dec 20, 2020, 3:55:20 PM12/20/20
On Sun, 20 Dec 2020 13:06:13 -0000 (UTC), Lewis wrote:

> tl;dr: Qualcomm us more than a year behind Apple.

Adults will note the Type III apologists form very strong belief systems
o Which are based on exactly zero (0) actual facts.

They just wantonly fabricate their entire belief systems
o With nary even a single cited fact backing their belief system up.

Type III apologists own a belief system of small children
o Where children believe everything MARKETING feeds them to believe.
--
This is a key reason why this Apple newsgroup is so childish overall.

sms

Dec 21, 2020, 1:23:08 PM12/21/20
On 12/19/2020 11:08 AM, badgolferman wrote:

<snip>

> Speaking of batteries, today my wife came to me complaining about her
> iPhone 7 shutting itself down constantly and not holding a charge. I
> checked her Battery Health and saw it was at 58% so I transferred all her
> stuff to another iPhone 7 for now. After a couple years of using the iPhone
> she wants to return to Android.
>
> So why is the phone shutting down at 58% capacity? It’s not like the
> battery is completely dead. Even car batteries still have enough power to
> turn an engine over with far less usable life than that.

Prior to the iPhone 8, the power conversion circuitry was not designed
to cope with a battery that had capacity issues. This has been fixed
beginning with the iPhone 8. The workaround on the iPhone 6, 6s, and 7
is a replacement battery. Technically it's not a battery issue, a
properly designed power circuit would not have this problem and could
still provide sufficient power to the CPU and other components.

The "chemical aging" explanation by Apple was not the real story.

The best explanation I've seen published on this is here
<https://mjtsai.com/blog/2017/12/22/apple-confirms-that-it-throttles-iphones-with-degraded-batteries/>:

"Capacity and supply voltage of a battery decreases over time as a
function of charge cycles and charging behaviour (Higher charging
currents causing more degradation per cycle). This causes the total
useable battery capacity before the cut-off voltage to decrease.

The problem facing the iPhones as Apple explains it is however two-fold;
the issue at hand happens only during load spikes in which the battery
isn’t able to maintain a high enough voltage for the PMIC to reliably be
able to use as a source.

SoC blocks such as CPUs and GPUs can have very short transitions from
idle to load causing steep transients and load spikes going above the
+10W ranges. As batteries degrade over time and the cell impedance also
rises also in function of the state of charge and temperature, the
current flow becomes restricted and the cell is no longer able to
satisfy the power requirement at a high enough operating voltage.

If this is the case then another question rises is if this is indeed
just a transient load issue why the power delivery system was not
designed sufficiently robust enough to cope with such loads at more
advanced levels of battery wear? While cold temperature and advanced
battery wear are understandable conditions under which a device might
not be able to sustain its normal operating conditions, the state of
charge of a battery under otherwise normal conditions should be taken
into account during the design of a device (Battery, SoC, PMIC,
decoupling capacitors) and its operating tolerances.

If the assumptions above hold true then logically the issue would also
be more prevalent in the smaller iPhone as opposed to the iPhone Plus
models as the latter’s larger battery capacity would allow for greater
discharge rates at a given stable voltage. This explanation might also
be one of many factors as to why flagship Android and other devices
don’t seem to exhibit this issue, as they come with much larger battery
cells."

Beginning with the iPhone 8, a third PMIC was added that addresses this
issue.

nospam

Dec 21, 2020, 1:35:27 PM12/21/20
In article <rrqp6b$oas$1...@dont-email.me>, sms
<scharf...@geemail.com> wrote:

> Prior to the iPhone 8, the power conversion circuitry was not designed
> to cope with a battery that had capacity issues.

absolutely false.

> This has been fixed
> beginning with the iPhone 8.

it was fixed with ios 10.2.

> The workaround on the iPhone 6, 6s, and 7
> is a replacement battery.

that's a solution to a degraded battery, not in any way a workaround.

> Technically it's not a battery issue,

it absolutely is a battery issue, as you show below.

> properly designed power circuit would not have this problem and could
> still provide sufficient power to the CPU and other components.

false, at least not without limiting peaks, which is what apple did.

> The "chemical aging" explanation by Apple was not the real story.

it is the real story, and not limited to apple either.

android device makers ignore it and suffer unexpected sudden shutdowns,
including during boot time, where the device goes into an endless boot
loop. that's *bad*.

> The best explanation I've seen published on this is here
>
> <https://mjtsai.com/blog/2017/12/22/apple-confirms-that-it-throttles-iphones-w
> ith-degraded-batteries/>:
>
> "Capacity and supply voltage of a battery decreases over time as a
> function of charge cycles and charging behaviour (Higher charging
> currents causing more degradation per cycle). This causes the total
> useable battery capacity before the cut-off voltage to decrease.

in other words, it's the battery.

> The problem facing the iPhones as Apple explains it is however two-fold;
> the issue at hand happens only during load spikes in which the battery
> isnšt able to maintain a high enough voltage for the PMIC to reliably be
> able to use as a source.

in other words, it's the battery.

it's important to note that the problem is inherent with every battery,
regardless of manufacturer or chemistry. there is no getting around it,
other than to limit peaks.

maybe one day in the future, when the laws of physics are overturned,
things might be a bit different, but until then, that's how it will be.

> SoC blocks such as CPUs and GPUs can have very short transitions from
> idle to load causing steep transients and load spikes going above the
> +10W ranges. As batteries degrade over time and the cell impedance also
> rises also in function of the state of charge and temperature, the
> current flow becomes restricted and the cell is no longer able to
> satisfy the power requirement at a high enough operating voltage.

in other words, it's the battery.

> Beginning with the iPhone 8, a third PMIC was added that addresses this
> issue.

nope.

sms

Dec 21, 2020, 1:39:28 PM12/21/20
On 12/19/2020 1:01 PM, badgolferman wrote:
> nospam wrote:
>
>> the remedy is simple: replace the battery.
>
> Probably won't since she decided she wants an android again.

For my wife's personal phone, I got her the Samsung Galaxy S10E which
was the only flagship or mid-range Android phone that was about the same
size as her previous Moto X4 (which went to my daughter who broke her X4).

I wish that Samsung would come out with a newer version of the S10E to
compete against the iPhone 12 Mini. The S10E has excellent cameras and
still has a MicroSD card slot and a headphone jack. It's very nice for
traveling since we can store audiobooks, music, and maps on the memory
card and use it with wired headphones.

Ironically, to buy the S10E, I first bought a reconditioned Tracfone
iPhone 6s for $60 to use as a trade-in since there was a $200 trade-in
discount direct from Samsung.

One advantage of the Samsung phones with MST is that you can use Samsung
Pay at many stores that don't accept Google Pay or Apple Pay.

My wife has her iPhone 7 from work and they don't allow personal phones
to be used for work due to HIPAA. Everyone gets an iPhone. Hopefully
she'll get the iPhone 11 Mini next, she skipped getting an XR or 11 due
to the size.

sms

Dec 21, 2020, 1:41:44 PM12/21/20
On 12/19/2020 1:32 PM, Alan Browne wrote:

<snip>

> None.  So who can do it?
>
> - Apple
> - 3rd party - Apple certified.
> - 3rd party - not Apple certified
> - Yourself - some special tools may be needed (iFixIt supply these, for
>              example, as well as step by step instructions).
>
> Apple and Apple certified: guaranteed.
> Not certified: probably guaranteed: ask first.
> Yourself, guaranteed.  By you.

I'd definitely choose Apple. Not just for the guarantee but because
you're likely getting a battery that has been manufactured in the recent
past and hasn't been sitting around a warehouse for a year. Apple isn't
gouging on battery replacement so the savings in having it done
elsewhere would be minimal.

nospam

Dec 21, 2020, 2:12:11 PM12/21/20
In article <rrqq4u$vi3$1...@dont-email.me>, sms
<scharf...@geemail.com> wrote:

> One advantage of the Samsung phones with MST is that you can use Samsung
> Pay at many stores that don't accept Google Pay or Apple Pay.

which is almost none.

> My wife has her iPhone 7 from work and they don't allow personal phones
> to be used for work due to HIPAA. Everyone gets an iPhone. Hopefully
> she'll get the iPhone 11 Mini next, she skipped getting an XR or 11 due
> to the size.

there is no iphone 11 mini and size is a bullshit excuse anyway.

there is an iphone 12 mini, along with the iphone se 2020, which is
exactly the same size as an iphone 7, both of which are a *huge*
upgrade.

and then there are the iphone 12 and 11, which are only slightly bigger
than the iphone 7/se.

Arlen Holder

Dec 21, 2020, 4:35:24 PM12/21/20
On Mon, 21 Dec 2020 10:23:06 -0800, sms wrote:

> Prior to the iPhone 8, the power conversion circuitry was not designed
> to cope with a battery that had capacity issues. This has been fixed
> beginning with the iPhone 8. The workaround on the iPhone 6, 6s, and 7
> is a replacement battery. Technically it's not a battery issue, a
> properly designed power circuit would not have this problem and could
> still provide sufficient power to the CPU and other components.
>
> The "chemical aging" explanation by Apple was not the real story.
>
> The best explanation I've seen published on this is here
> <https://mjtsai.com/blog/2017/12/22/apple-confirms-that-it-throttles-iphones-with-degraded-batteries/>:

This is a _perfect_ example of why Steve Scharf is a Type II apologist!

Steve is a Type II apologist, which simply means he's not malicious, per
se, nor is he stupid, per se (not anymore than most liberal arts majors
that is), nor is Steve forming his belief system only on what Marketing
feeds him, nor does Steve consider Apple the embodiment of his self worth,
etc., (like the Type III apologists do).

Nope.
o Steve is a Type II apologist mainly because he can't process facts.

The fact is that the iPhone 8 has throttling software, which was
implemented in the iOS update of October 31, 2019, as does the iPhone X.

The chemical aging excuse was pure bullshit on the part of Apple,
particularly since only _some_ iPhones have the problem, but even more so,
because Apple only admits to the truth in court.

And in court, Apple paid the _criminal_ fine for purposefully knowingly and
secretly slowing down iPhones for the express purpose of selling more
iPhones.

People like Steve aren't stupid, per se; they just don't own a single
neuron that can think like a scientist or engineer.

So they believe the bullshit because they can't process the facts.
--
Anyone want to dispute the facts above and I'll provide the cites since I
don't form a belief system unless it's based on well documented facts.

Arlen Holder

Dec 21, 2020, 4:46:19 PM12/21/20
On Mon, 21 Dec 2020 13:35:26 -0500, nospam wrote:

> android device makers ignore it and suffer unexpected sudden shutdowns,
> including during boot time, where the device goes into an endless boot
> loop. that's *bad*.

Hi nospam,

Stop it with the pure bullshit, will ya.
o Just stop it.

You couldn't last a week in the Silicon Valley they way you bullshit, nospam.
o Only on an Apple newsgroup could you even possibly survive.

Because most Apple owners are too ignorant to catch your bullshit.
o Nobody but Apple pulls these smartphone throttling stunts, nospam.

Nobody.

We get it that you'll fabricate any excuse in your defense of Apple.
o But your fabrications of bullshit in defense of Apple have got to stop.

Only the most childish of people would believe what you claim.
o No OEM other than Apple pulls these throttling stunts, nospam.

So stop bullshitting us, nospam.
o I'm sure the apologists (e.g., Lewis, Jolly Roger, et al.) love it.

But you spout pure bullshit with nary a single fact to back it up.
o Not even one.

Every time you pull this stunt (e.g., you blame Samsung for Apple's design
flaws), I point out that nobody on this planet can find any OEM other than
Apple who pulls these throttling stunts on a mobile device.
o Nobody.

o Do any Android phone manufacturers throttle (CPUs, PD Charging, Modems) like Apple consistently does?
<https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/misc.phone.mobile.iphone/ZTmmGoAndyM>
--
The problem with Apple newsgroups is apologists fabricate all their claims.

Arlen Holder

Dec 21, 2020, 5:11:19 PM12/21/20
On 21 Dec 2020 19:48:42 GMT, Jolly Roger wrote:

> You're full of shit, as usual. There is no "power circuit problem" other
> than that old batteries can't deliver required power consistently.

Hi nospam,

The problem with Apple newsgroups is that you apologists lack TRUTH in facts.

How do you explain away the fact Apple paid the criminal fine for the
express crime of intentionally purposefully shortening the life of iPhones?

o Apple publicly admits the crime of intentionally lowering iPhone lifespan
<https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/misc.phone.mobile.iphone/l6gAjvW6aqQ>

Only Apple pulls these throttling stunts, nospam.
o Only Apple.
--
The problem with Apple newsgroups is that apologists lack TRUTH in facts.