Recommended cycling/walking app

Chris

Mar 25, 2023, 8:18:11 AM3/25/23

What apps do people recommend for tracking cycling and walking activities?
I'd much prefer one that doesn't require an account, but am fine with
paying. Doesn't need anything fancy just gps and statistics of journeys I
can save; distance, avg speed, etc. Not interested in competitive rankings
like in Strava.

I used to use Trails Pro but that died about a year ago.

All Trails Pro looks very similar except it requires an account. Can't be
arsed with that.

Alan Browne

Mar 25, 2023, 8:43:16 AM3/25/23
I was about to suggest: Trails. No account needed.
Max 5 recordings, so need to upload the track and delete once it's full.
(Or pay "rent" for unlimited recordings).

But: I don't see it in the App Store anymore... still works on my iPhone
though.

Also have some paid for apps like MotionX and GPS Kit that I haven't
used in quite a while (UI's aren't great).

A quick look at the various apps and they all have some sort of "in app
purchase" requirement - so you'll just have to install some and try and
see what works.

--
“Donald Trump and his allies and supporters are a clear and present
danger to American democracy.”

Chris

Mar 25, 2023, 9:34:26 AM3/25/23
Alan Browne <bitb...@blackhole.com> wrote:
> On 2023-03-25 08:18, Chris wrote:
>>
>> What apps do people recommend for tracking cycling and walking activities?
>> I'd much prefer one that doesn't require an account, but am fine with
>> paying. Doesn't need anything fancy just gps and statistics of journeys I
>> can save; distance, avg speed, etc. Not interested in competitive rankings
>> like in Strava.
>>
>> I used to use Trails Pro but that died about a year ago.
>>
>> All Trails Pro looks very similar except it requires an account. Can't be
>> arsed with that.
>
> I was about to suggest: Trails. No account needed.
> Max 5 recordings, so need to upload the track and delete once it's full.
> (Or pay "rent" for unlimited recordings).
>
> But: I don't see it in the App Store anymore... still works on my iPhone
> though.

Does it? It doesn't for me. Every time I try to save a new a tail it pops
up saying that Trails Pro is not available and I can't progress further. I
can see my 71 saved tracks but no map information.

> Also have some paid for apps like MotionX and GPS Kit that I haven't
> used in quite a while (UI's aren't great).
>
> A quick look at the various apps and they all have some sort of "in app
> purchase" requirement - so you'll just have to install some and try and
> see what works.

That's why I'm asking for some recommendations. Narrow the field a bit.

sticks

Mar 25, 2023, 9:46:30 AM3/25/23
Gaia GPS.

<https://www.gaiagps.com/>

I've used the free version for years and think it's great. I plan hikes
on the desktop ahead of time and follow the route on the phone for
exercising and use it to record and track my hike. I also use it on the
mountain bike. They save your routes on line for nothing. Great app

Alan Browne

Mar 25, 2023, 10:01:28 AM3/25/23
I'm too lazy to do your homework, but I'll happily read about what
you've found!

Alan Browne

Mar 25, 2023, 10:08:00 AM3/25/23
Do you mean they save your planned route or they save your recorded
track? (or both).

IAC: I have a monster aversion to yet-another service that saves my
recorded data for me - at any price.

iPhones have oodles of memory to save tracks in, in turn this is easily
uploaded to my computer when I'm done (via Airdrop, messages, mail,
Notes, Signal, OneDrive, etc. ...)

I have a few "GPS" apps that I can do this with (fewer delivery options
however).

Andy Burnelli

Mar 25, 2023, 10:09:07 AM3/25/23
Chris wrote:

>> A quick look at the various apps and they all have some sort of "in app
>> purchase" requirement - so you'll just have to install some and try and
>> see what works.
>
> That's why I'm asking for some recommendations. Narrow the field a bit.

Hi Chris,
I used to use my iPad for hikes because of the big screen and huge battery,
but then Android phones became phablets with huge batteries, so I haven't
used the iPad for hiking in years... but... I did for the longest time.

Looking in my iOS map folder (which I haven't opened up in years), I see:
TopoReader
TopoMaps
TopoMaps+
GoogleEarth
etc.

Hence, I can only offer the advice, if you need it, that the "hiking" apps
have the ability to save a breadcrumb trail on them which you can save as
"tracks" and which, for some apps, give statistics such as elevation
profiles (which is important where I hike as nothing is flat) and time to
distance metrics.

If you need me to, I can dig up the many threads where we discussed it.
<http://groups.google.com/g/comp.mobile.ipad>
<http://groups.google.com/g/misc.phone.mobile.iphone>

Offhand, I know that papermaps and avenza are both android:iOS cross
platform geopdf tracking apps where you can load in any geopdf into them,
and save a track onto them where you can get (for the USA) all the park
geopdfs from the cross platform registration free OuterSpatial program.

I forget where you live but if you're in the USA, OuterSpatial provides
_hundreds_ of free park map geoPDFs for every single government park on
both platforms, Android & iOS (free, no ads, no login, etc., as always).

You will _never_ see me recommend any program that does any of that!

You can even make your own personal geopdfs of your area that you will be
hiking, as I've done that myself for hiking in historical areas by loading
maps from the 1800s, but it's probably not for most people to do but it's
relatively easy to do with _any_ map (e.g., an OSM map or even a google
map) but you have to understand how to create georeference points with the
QGIS or GDal type georeferencing programs (I use them only sporadically
but I wrote a few tutorials for georeferencing anything, even a photo):
<http://groups.google.com/g/sci.geo.satellite-nav>

As for your login requirement, smart. Very smart. I commend you. There's
almost never any reason for _any_ app to require an account (guess why they
do that?) so it's perfectly sensible and logical that you don't want one.

Let me know if you need details as there's probably a tutorial on each app
that I've written over the years that I can point you toward if you need
it. Some of the apps are Windows for _creating_ your own georeferenced maps
but most of what I covered above, from memory, is cross platform
iOS:Android.

EVERY app I recommend will always be free, ad free & registration free.
--
Posted out of the goodness of my heart to disseminate useful information
which, in this case, is to faithfully try to flesh out hiking & tracking.

Alan Browne

Mar 25, 2023, 10:16:04 AM3/25/23
On 2023-03-25 09:34, Chris wrote:
If you're into complex, you might try Sensorlog.

This is nerd city. Endless things you can do with it - which gives it a
steep learning curve if you're not into the fine details.

In the end you'd end up with a .csv or JSON file with the trail
recorded. Then you can see it in an app like Google Earth afterwards.
Not for the casual user.

Also - if you forget to stop the recording when you get off the trail it
will continue to record - and drain your battery too.

Andy Burnelli

Mar 25, 2023, 10:24:03 AM3/25/23
Alan Browne wrote:

> Do you mean they save your planned route or they save your recorded
> track? (or both).

Alan Browne brings up a good point for Chris, who didn't mention "planned
routes", where, if Chris needs the information, I wrote tutorials on how to
save your _planned_ track which you draw on a program and save as a GPX or
KML (usually as a GPX) and then you load it into your display program for
either a visual confirmation of whether you're on track, or even a verbal.

A visual confirmation can be obtained from almost any map program that
reads in georeferenced PDFs (aka geoPDFs), such as these two which work on
both Android and on iOS and which do not require registration or have ads.

*Avenza Maps* Offline Mapping by Avenza Systems Inc., 3 maps at a time
Free, ad free, 4.6 star, 72.6K reviews, 1M+ Downloads, no login required
<https://apps.apple.com/app/apple-store/id388424049>
<https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.Avenza>
<https://www.avenza.com/avenza-maps/>

*Paper Maps* by Abbro Inc, unlimited maps
Free, ad free, 5K+ Downloads, no login required
<https://apps.apple.com/app/nextmap/id1147385120>
<https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=ca.abbro.androidmap>
<https://www.paper-maps.com/>

For "drawing a planned route" on a map, you can see Carlos' recent thread
on the Windows newsgroup (not archived, unfortunately) and Linux ng too.
<https://groups.google.com/g/comp.os.linux.misc>

Specifically this recent thread:
*Draw a route in a map* by Carlos E. R. on Mar 24, 2023
<https://groups.google.com/g/comp.os.linux.misc/c/c1wg92_DssM>

An example is you take _anything_ (even a photo!) but usually it's a PDF
of a park map or even a screenshot of the Google Maps roads around your
home, and then you georeference that PDF and then you draw a proposed
hike on that PDF and then you can track your hike in real time on that PDF.

I do that all the time, so if you need help, let me know, although the
georeferencing part takes a bit of practice depending on how accurate
you want to make it as it basically assigns a geolocation to every pixel
on the document (which is why the document can be anything that you have).
--
Posted out of the goodness of my heart to disseminate useful information
which, in this case, is to faithfully expand upon drawing a planned route.

Connor Shannon

Mar 25, 2023, 11:30:09 AM3/25/23
I haven't used it in a long time but I have GPS Tracks check that out its pretty nice.

https://apps.apple.com/us/app/gps-tracks/id425589565

Chris

Mar 25, 2023, 11:49:52 AM3/25/23
Requires an account sadly and most of the maps are US-only. Will keep it on
the list, however, thanks.

Andy Burnelli

Mar 25, 2023, 12:01:39 PM3/25/23
Chris wrote:

> Requires an account sadly and most of the maps are US-only. Will keep it on
> the list, however, thanks.

What country are you in, Chris?

I can look to see if that country has access to free georeferenced PDFs.

In the USA, OSM topo maps are vastly inferior to USGS topo geoPDF maps but
in your country, you may have the equivalent of the USGS geoPDFs with
<https://apps.apple.com/app/nextmap/id1147385120>
<https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.Avenza>

I like Avenza better'n the papermaps app, but avenza is kind of sort of
limited to 3 maps at a time, which, if you think about it, is easy to
circumvent by two simple methods - so that's why it's still on the list.
1. You can load and unload maps at will to keep it at three active maps
2. Or, you can combine maps (I do it all the time) to keep it at 3 maps

There are also pure trackers which will save your track to a file which you
can then upload into almost any app that handles such things (which should
be virtually every app that does mapping & routing).

That gpx track can either be saved ad hoc, while you're on the move, or,
you can _draw_ that track (see previous cites in this thread) on a PC.

Either way, you can even get verbal directions (e.g., "turn east 10 degrees
for 30 yards to get back to the planned route") at least on Android; but I
don't know if that's on iOS as I haven't used iPads for hiking in years.

Jolly Roger

Mar 25, 2023, 2:08:04 PM3/25/23
On 2023-03-25, Chris <ithi...@gmail.com> wrote:

> What apps do people recommend for tracking cycling and walking
> activities? I'd much prefer one that doesn't require an account, but
> am fine with paying. Doesn't need anything fancy just gps and
> statistics of journeys I can save; distance, avg speed, etc. Not
> interested in competitive rankings like in Strava.

Apple's Fitness app does this with the Workout app on the Apple Watch:

<https://ibb.co/tQBzMw2>
<https://ibb.co/TPgzfn3>

> I used to use Trails Pro but that died about a year ago.
>
> All Trails Pro looks very similar except it requires an account. Can't
> be arsed with that.

The WorkOutDoors app is *much* more configurable than Apple's apps if
that's your thing. No online account is required, and the App Privacy
section of the App Store listing says no data is collected:

<https://apps.apple.com/app/workoutdoors/id1241909999?ls=1>

The developer's privacy policy explicitly states that the app does
not collect any information about users of the app:

<http://www.workoutdoors.net/Privacy.html>

Looks like a nice app. I'm going to try it out for my next hike.

JR

Ant

Mar 25, 2023, 10:19:10 PM3/25/23
Is iOS' Health and Fitness apps not good enough?
--
"Do not say, 'I'll pay you back for this wrong!' Wait for the LORD, and he will deliver you." --Proverbs 20:22. Slammy Caturday with an 8 yrs. old security camera going bonker, 6th shot, etc.
| |o o| |

Jolly Roger

Mar 25, 2023, 10:56:40 PM3/25/23
On 2023-03-26, Ant <a...@zimage.comANT> wrote:

> Is iOS' Health and Fitness apps not good enough?

That's the reaction my wife had. We both use Apple's stuff and it's fine
unless you want a bunch of customization.

Alan Browne

Mar 26, 2023, 9:19:19 AM3/26/23
On 2023-03-25 22:56, Jolly Roger wrote:
> On 2023-03-26, Ant <a...@zimage.comANT> wrote:
>>
>> Is iOS' Health and Fitness apps not good enough?
>
> That's the reaction my wife had. We both use Apple's stuff and it's fine
> unless you want a bunch of customization.

I like to get my hiking track off of the phone and display it on Google
Earth. Can you do that with Apple's fitness app?

Indeed, for orienteering I can scan the map, load it into Google Earth,
and then "play back" the run in GE.

Chris

Mar 26, 2023, 10:57:35 AM3/26/23
Ant <a...@zimage.comANT> wrote:
> Is iOS' Health and Fitness apps not good enough?

Nope. They don't record cycling/walking information on their own. They
need an app.

Although they do suggest apps and Komoot looked interesting. Requires an
account, however.

Jolly Roger

Mar 26, 2023, 11:00:47 AM3/26/23
On 2023-03-26, Alan Browne <bitb...@blackhole.com> wrote:
> On 2023-03-25 22:56, Jolly Roger wrote:
>> On 2023-03-26, Ant <a...@zimage.comANT> wrote:
>>>
>>> Is iOS' Health and Fitness apps not good enough?
>>
>> That's the reaction my wife had. We both use Apple's stuff and it's
>> fine unless you want a bunch of customization.
>
> I like to get my hiking track off of the phone and display it on
> Google Earth. Can you do that with Apple's fitness app?
>
> Indeed, for orienteering I can scan the map, load it into Google
> Earth, and then "play back" the run in GE.

I wouldn't know, but I doubt it.

As I said in another post, the WorkOutDoors app has way more
customization and functionality if that's what you're after, including
exporting workouts as FIT, TCX or GPX files.

Alan Browne

Mar 26, 2023, 11:17:31 AM3/26/23
On 2023-03-26 11:00, Jolly Roger wrote:
> On 2023-03-26, Alan Browne <bitb...@blackhole.com> wrote:

>>> That's the reaction my wife had. We both use Apple's stuff and it's
>>> fine unless you want a bunch of customization.
>>
>> I like to get my hiking track off of the phone and display it on
>> Google Earth. Can you do that with Apple's fitness app?
>>
>> Indeed, for orienteering I can scan the map, load it into Google
>> Earth, and then "play back" the run in GE.
>
> I wouldn't know, but I doubt it.
>
> As I said in another post, the WorkOutDoors app has way more
> customization and functionality if that's what you're after, including
> exporting workouts as FIT, TCX or GPX files.

Already noted - thx. I use Trails - which has disappeared from the App
Store (AFAICT).

Andy Burnelli

Mar 26, 2023, 11:31:25 AM3/26/23
Alan Browne wrote:

> Already noted - thx. I use Trails - which has disappeared from the App
> Store (AFAICT).

I looked at my Maps folder for Ant and it seems "Topo Reader" was
unilaterally "terminated" by iOS on my iPad, whatever that message means.

Apple has a way of making sure only apps in the walled garden remain.

Andy Burnelli

Mar 26, 2023, 11:49:04 AM3/26/23
Hi Chris,

I agree with any sensible person who doesn't want to be forced to create an
account to log their activities - and - especially to log their activities.

In the days when iPads had huge screens and batteries that lasted forever,
I had tested _every_ free mapping tracking viewing routing app available on
iOS a few years ago (and wrote reviews on them at the time), none of which
would I load on my iPads if they required any account to any mothership.

That's wrong to require a mothership tracking account for (almost) any app.

However, once Android batteries started lasting forever and the screens
became huge at the same time, I stopped using the iPad for any tracking.

But I opened each of the apps I used to use on my iPad just now (where the
iPad has been updated to iOS 16.3.1) and two of the three still work.
Topo Reader (which I had liked best - has been "terminated by iOS"
Topo Maps (still works) <by Pierre-Olivier Latour>
Topo Maps+ (still works) <https://topomaps.co/>

I order all my apps in order of usefulness, so it's odd that the one map
app that was good on iOS was unilaterally "terminated by iOS", but it was.

Have you ever seen that message that an app was "terminated by iOS" before?
I have not. This is a first. It's expected with Apple. But still the first.

In summary, you might wish to try one of those two topo maps apps instead.
(For some reason, they don't have "Help about" buttons to find their URL.)

Jolly Roger

Mar 26, 2023, 12:10:33 PM3/26/23
On 2023-03-26, Chris <ithi...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Ant <a...@zimage.comANT> wrote:
>>
>> Is iOS' Health and Fitness apps not good enough?
>
> Nope. They don't record cycling/walking information on their own.
> They need an app.

Hmm... My Fitness app has been recording my cycling and walking for
years now. What am I doing wrong? : )

> Although they do suggest apps and Komoot looked interesting. Requires
> an account, however.

It seems you completely ignored my initial reply in this thread because
I told you of an app that does what you want and requires no account
(and it also has a terrific privacy policy and gathers no data). Oh
well! : )

nospam

Mar 26, 2023, 1:32:08 PM3/26/23
In article <tvpphe$3vs6f$1...@paganini.bofh.team>, Andy Burnelli
<nos...@nospam.net> wrote:

> In the days when iPads had huge screens

in what days were those?

ipad screen sizes have *increased* over the years.

> However, once Android batteries started lasting forever and the screens
> became huge at the same time, I stopped using the iPad for any tracking.

google's entire business model is tracking, so if tracking is what you
want, google is the way to go.

google even tracks you when you turn off location services, they're
*that* good.

always choose the best tool for the job.

> Have you ever seen that message that an app was "terminated by iOS" before?

sure have.

> I have not. This is a first. It's expected with Apple. But still the first.

you don't even know what it means, by your own admission, so how do you
know that it's expected or why it happened? you don't.

what *is* expected is that you invent another conspiracy theory, and
you've fulfilled that expectation.

Andy Burnelli

Mar 26, 2023, 2:15:19 PM3/26/23
nospam wrote:

> In article <tvpphe$3vs6f$1...@paganini.bofh.team>, Andy Burnelli
> <nos...@nospam.net> wrote:
>
>> In the days when iPads had huge screens
>
> in what days were those?

Your memory is that of a gnat, nospam, as I published a bunch of tutorials
on using the iPad for hiking purposes because of the screen & battery life.

> ipad screen sizes have *increased* over the years.

The point you whooshed on, and which I said so it just means you're stupid,
nospam, seriously... that's not even an ad hominem attack - it's a fact,
which is that Android phablets got larger and the batteries last forever
nowadays (I don't even charge overnight anymore - and haven't in a while).

Only on an iPhone are people stuck tethered to an outlet every night.

>> However, once Android batteries started lasting forever and the screens
>> became huge at the same time, I stopped using the iPad for any tracking.
>
> google's entire business model is tracking, so if tracking is what you
> want, google is the way to go.

You're so indoctrinated by Apple's marketing bullshit that you believe it.

You forget *Apple's business model _requires_ you to be tracked* in almost
everything that you do, nospam, and no amount of your lies changes that.

HINT: Android phones work fine (even better) without a Google Account...

> google even tracks you when you turn off location services, they're
> *that* good.

You always claim Google made Apple do all the bad things Apple does.
Why?

You can turn off the location tracking, nospam. Well, you can't.
You're on iOS.

The iPhone won't work for most people without Apple tracking built in.

HINT: You don't need a Google account to download apps on Android
while Apple inserts a unique tracking ID into every app on iOS!

> always choose the best tool for the job.

At this point in time, the iPad isn't the best tool for _any_ job,
unfortunately, now that it can't even do basic hiking like it used to
(where I'm talking about the best iOS hiking app being "terminated").

If you can think of anything the iPad can do that my Android phone doesn't
already do (probably years ago even), please let me know as the only thing
I use the iPad for nowadays is (a) google voice, and (b) test your bullshit
(and you always fail).

HINT: Look at Jolly Roger's bullshit about 1Blocker I recently tested.
<https://i.postimg.cc/660z6Sb0/mothership24.jpg> Works only in Safari
<https://i.postimg.cc/k4PwDddj/mothership25.jpg> Firewall doesn't work
<https://i.postimg.cc/Qxf6mPpt/mothership26.jpg> 1Blocker is crippleware

>> Have you ever seen that message that an app was "terminated by iOS" before?
>
> sure have.

What does it even mean to be "terminated by iOS" nospam?

>> I have not. This is a first. It's expected with Apple. But still the first.
>
> you don't even know what it means, by your own admission, so how do you
> know that it's expected or why it happened? you don't.

I am nothing like you low-self-esteem iKooks. You pretend to know
everything because you were told your entire life you're stupid, nospam.
<https://img.yumpu.com/6936343/1/500x640/standouts-the-beat-within.jpg>

I'm not afraid to admit I've never seen that message before.
What does it mean for an app to be "terminated by iOS", nospam?

> what *is* expected is that you invent another conspiracy theory, and
> you've fulfilled that expectation.

What does it mean for an iPad app to be "terminated by iOS", nospam?
--
Posted out of the goodness of my heart to disseminate useful information
which, in this case, is to faithfully ask a simple question of nospam.

nospam

Mar 26, 2023, 3:17:23 PM3/26/23
In article <tvq23k$pel$1...@paganini.bofh.team>, Andy Burnelli
<nos...@nospam.net> wrote:

> >> In the days when iPads had huge screens
> >
> > in what days were those?
>
> Your memory is that of a gnat, nospam, as I published a bunch of tutorials
> on using the iPad for hiking purposes because of the screen & battery life.

your avoiding answering the question is noted.

> > ipad screen sizes have *increased* over the years.
>
> The point you whooshed on, and which I said so it just means you're stupid,
> nospam, seriously... that's not even an ad hominem attack - it's a fact,
> which is that Android phablets got larger and the batteries last forever
> nowadays (I don't even charge overnight anymore - and haven't in a while).

it is an ad hominem attack. it's all you can do.

the fact is that ipad screen sizes have increased.

> Only on an iPhone are people stuck tethered to an outlet every night.

diversion noted, and your claim is also false.

> You forget *Apple's business model _requires_ you to be tracked* in almost
> everything that you do, nospam, and no amount of your lies changes that.

false.

> HINT: Android phones work fine (even better) without a Google Account...

no they don't, because doing that removes a *significant* amount of
functionality.

> > google even tracks you when you turn off location services, they're
> > *that* good.
>
> You always claim Google made Apple do all the bad things Apple does.
> Why?

nobody claimed that, and it wasn't true the last zillion times you said
it either.

> You can turn off the location tracking, nospam. Well, you can't.
> You're on iOS.

false.

unlike on android, turning off location on ios actually turns it off.

> The iPhone won't work for most people without Apple tracking built in.

apple doesn't track people.

but even if we are to assume your statement as true, android won't work
'for most people' without a google account.

> HINT: You don't need a Google account to download apps on Android
> while Apple inserts a unique tracking ID into every app on iOS!

they do not, as has been explained to you many times.

> > always choose the best tool for the job.
>
> At this point in time, the iPad isn't the best tool for _any_ job,

false.

> unfortunately, now that it can't even do basic hiking like it used to
> (where I'm talking about the best iOS hiking app being "terminated").

false.

> If you can think of anything the iPad can do that my Android phone doesn't
> already do (probably years ago even), please let me know as the only thing
> I use the iPad for nowadays is (a) google voice, and (b) test your bullshit
> (and you always fail).

yawn. how many times are you going to embarrass yourself?

universal control, sidecar, stage manager, hover, fald display and a
wealth of ipad-native software.

unlike on ipad, android tablet apps are almost always phone apps on a
big screen, and it shows (not in a good way).

cue trademark rant, further proof you're lost.

> HINT: Look at Jolly Roger's bullshit about 1Blocker I recently tested.

you don't know how it works so any tests you might have done are void.

> >> Have you ever seen that message that an app was "terminated by iOS" before?
> >
> > sure have.
>
> What does it even mean to be "terminated by iOS" nospam?

memory pressure.

> I'm not afraid to admit I've never seen that message before.

you're also not afraid to fabricate a baseless conspiracy theory as to
why it happens, without knowing any of the details.

Andy Burnelli

Mar 26, 2023, 5:26:29 PM3/26/23
nospam wrote:

>> Your memory is that of a gnat, nospam, as I published a bunch of tutorials
>> on using the iPad for hiking purposes because of the screen & battery life.
>
> your avoiding answering the question is noted.

How many times must I repeat that I used the iPad for hiking because of the
bigger screen and better battery life, both of which are almost completely
negated by the phenomenal battery life of Androids & their big'ish screens.

With those laughably puny cheap iPhone batteries, you have no idea how
wonderful it is on most Android phones (which don't have the ridiculously
cheap batteries that Apple put in the iPhone) to never need to charge your
phone overnight ever again, nospam.

You pop it on the charger when it needs it, and an hour or two later, it's
fully charged again. It's that easy with Android.

Only with iOS are you stuck tethered to a charging cable every night.

>> You forget *Apple's business model _requires_ you to be tracked* in almost
>> everything that you do, nospam, and no amount of your lies changes that.
>
> false.

No other operating system, not even Windows 11 it turns out, requires a
mothership tracking account just to use the software in a normal fashion.

Only iOS.

>> HINT: Android phones work fine (even better) without a Google Account...
>
> no they don't, because doing that removes a *significant* amount of
> functionality.

Stop saying stupid things like that nospam. It makes you sound ignorant.
You know absolutely nothing about Android, nospam.

You know even less about Android than you do about iOS.
And that's not all that much given how wrong you are about iOS.

Despite you hating all facts about Apple, the fact remains a fact that
_only_ Apple inserts a unique tracking ID into every app you install.

Google doesn't.
Google can't.

Only Apple does.

>>> google even tracks you when you turn off location services, they're
>>> *that* good.
>>
>> You always claim Google made Apple do all the bad things Apple does.
>> Why?
>
> nobody claimed that, and it wasn't true the last zillion times you said
> it either.

You only have seven excuses for why Apple does all the bad things it does.

Every time Apple does something bad the first knee jerk reaction from you
is that Google made them do it. You say this all the time, nospam.

The only thing that changes is you say Samaung made Apple do all the bad
things when you can find something Apple did that Samsung copied.

Same with Microsoft.
It's one of your seven excuses that Apple has no free will, nospam.

>> You can turn off the location tracking, nospam. Well, you can't.
>> You're on iOS.
>
> false.
>
> unlike on android, turning off location on ios actually turns it off.

Again, you know nothing about Android, nospam.
You don't even use Android devices, nospam.
You don't even own a modern iOS device for heaven's sake.

Why should you when you can just make everything up that you claim.

>> The iPhone won't work for most people without Apple tracking built in.
>
> apple doesn't track people.

Then you tell us all why Apple inserts your unique ID into every app,
nospam. And you tell us why Apple _forces_ you to log into their mothership
tracking servers, nospam.

No other common consumer operating system does that, nospam.
Not even Windows 11. (see sig for reference)

> but even if we are to assume your statement as true, android won't work
> 'for most people' without a google account.

Why do you say stupid things, nospam?
You don't even own Android.
You have absolutely zero idea how it works.

I get it that your modus operandi is to lie like there is no tomorrow.
But stop it.

Every time you say stupid things like that it proves your ignorance.

>> HINT: You don't need a Google account to download apps on Android
>> while Apple inserts a unique tracking ID into every app on iOS!
>
> they do not, as has been explained to you many times.

You can lie all you want about the unique ID that only Apple inserts into
your apps, nospam, but your lies don't change the fact that Apple does it.

*No other operating system adds a unique to you ID to your apps*

>> HINT: Look at Jolly Roger's bullshit about 1Blocker I recently tested.
>
> you don't know how it works so any tests you might have done are void.

If you think the free 1Blocker is _not_ crippleware, nospam, then again,
it's not an ad hominem attack to say that you're incredibly stupid.

FACT: *1Blocker freeware is crippleware*

<https://i.postimg.cc/9XtgRz0y/mothership01.jpg> Apple forces verification
<https://i.postimg.cc/q73jkvWh/mothership02.jpg> into mothership trackers
<https://i.postimg.cc/7hmNBGJc/mothership03.jpg> Safari & Chrome work fine
<https://i.postimg.cc/GhmK4QZ1/mothership04.jpg> So does Youtube work fine
<https://i.postimg.cc/vBv7BghB/mothership05.jpg> No problem with web pages
<https://i.postimg.cc/xjtyVmqp/mothership06.jpg> The walled garden fails
<https://i.postimg.cc/ht79m3sN/mothership07.jpg> iMessage garden fails
<https://i.postimg.cc/5tBL7YZ3/mothership08.jpg> FaceTime garden fails
<https://i.postimg.cc/Y09FCXjn/mothership09.jpg> App Store finds 1Blocker
<https://i.postimg.cc/tC869Nbk/mothership10.jpg> App Store installs apps
<https://i.postimg.cc/FKVkgtLC/mothership11.jpg> But it won't do iCloud
<https://i.postimg.cc/BbX80XwR/mothership12.jpg> 1Blocker Ad Blocker IPA
<https://i.postimg.cc/Dy4Wp4GX/mothership13.jpg> Get 1Blocker Ad Blocker
<https://i.postimg.cc/Dy4Wp4GX/mothership13.jpg> Open 1Blocker Ad Blocker
<https://i.postimg.cc/6pd8tsY6/mothership14.jpg> Open 1Blocker Ad Blocker
<https://i.postimg.cc/1RjnKr8S/mothership15.jpg> Welcome & Get Started
<https://i.postimg.cc/W39DCMSM/mothership16.jpg> Enable Safari extensions
<https://i.postimg.cc/wjJmMRTp/mothership17.jpg> Go to Safari Settings
<https://i.postimg.cc/tRSPMHmL/mothership18.jpg> Safari 1Blocker setup
<https://i.postimg.cc/W3SrjRpq/mothership19.jpg> Enabled Safari extensions
<https://i.postimg.cc/9F1WpW87/mothership20.jpg> Note 1Blocker Scripts
<https://i.postimg.cc/vHT7YmVY/mothership21.jpg> Enable 1Blocker Scripts
<https://i.postimg.cc/FzsyJrCx/mothership22.jpg> 1Blocker Script setup
<https://i.postimg.cc/pXcZzjH5/mothership23.jpg> Explore Premium Features
One difference between you and me, nospam, is you lie & I prove what I say.

nospam

Mar 26, 2023, 6:09:10 PM3/26/23
In article <tvqd9u$1uhe$1...@paganini.bofh.team>, Andy Burnelli
<nos...@nospam.net> wrote:

> You pop it on the charger when it needs it, and an hour or two later, it's
> fully charged again. It's that easy with Android.

it's also that easy for just about every modern consumer electronic
device with rechargeable batteries, and often quite a bit less than 'an
hour or two later'.

if your android phone takes that long to charge, then the manufacturer
must not have included the 'proper charger' in the box. or it's just a
shitty phone.

> Only with iOS are you stuck tethered to a charging cable every night.

false.

iphones are among the phones with the longest run time per charge.

except for this one:
<https://helios-i.mashable.com/imagery/articles/07JAqObUYuTuodolINwV5Op/
hero-image.fill.size_1248x702.v1623384781.jpg>

<https://helios-i.mashable.com/imagery/articles/07JAqObUYuTuodolINwV5Op/
images-2.fill.size_2000x1125.v1611700889.jpg>

<https://cdn.mos.cms.futurecdn.net/xqX8ju5wAD9iHvbiUUYN4W-1200-80.jpg>

> Again, you know nothing about Android, nospam.
> You don't even use Android devices, nospam.
> You don't even own a modern iOS device for heaven's sake.

you got three out of three wrong.

good work!

> If you think the free 1Blocker is _not_ crippleware, nospam, then again,
> it's not an ad hominem attack to say that you're incredibly stupid.
>
> FACT: *1Blocker freeware is crippleware*

it has a free tier with paid options, just like countless other apps on
all platforms.

it's also not the only option for content blocking.

your fixation with one single app, which you do not even understand how
it works, demonstrates ignorance.

> One difference between you and me, nospam, is I lie & you prove what you say.

ftfy

Andy Burnelli

Mar 26, 2023, 7:22:55 PM3/26/23
nospam wrote:

>> You pop it on the charger when it needs it, and an hour or two later, it's
>> fully charged again. It's that easy with Android.
>
> it's also that easy for just about every modern consumer electronic
> device with rechargeable batteries, and often quite a bit less than 'an
> hour or two later'.

What you don't understand is Apple put cheap batteries into the iPhone.
They won't last as many cycles as the better batteries in Androids, nospam.

>> Only with iOS are you stuck tethered to a charging cable every night.
>
> false.

Apple put cheap batteries in the iPhone and all your denials don't change
that fact which is _easily_ proven simply by looking at the AH ratings.

They won't last as many cycles as the better batteries in Androids, nospam.

> iphones are among the phones with the longest run time per charge.

Based on physics, iPhones will die _years_ sooner than Androids simply
because you lose a given percentage of initial capacity over time.

That you are ignorant of that fact proves how little you know, nospam.

>> FACT: *1Blocker freeware is crippleware*
>
> it has a free tier with paid options, just like countless other apps on
> all platforms.

For you to claim the free 1Blocker app isn't crippleware is preposterous.
It doesn't do anything but a single filter & even then, only in Safari.

The free 1Blocker is nothing but crippleware no matter what you claim.

> it's also not the only option for content blocking.

Free functionality of iOS _always_ is vastly inferior to Android, nospam.
The free 1Blocker is nothing but crippleware no matter what you claim.

> your fixation with one single app, which you do not even understand how
> it works, demonstrates ignorance.

Compare _any_ free iOS app functionality to that of this free app, nospam:
<https://netguard.me/>

FACT:
*The free functionality on iOS pales in comparison to that of Android*

>> One difference between you and me, nospam, is I lie & you prove what you say.
>
> ftfy

Notice you always turn into a child whenever confronted with facts, nospam.
If you iKooks left this newsgroup, the group would be civil without you.
--
Posted out of the goodness of my heart to disseminate useful information
which, in this case, is to faithfully try to respond to nospam's lies.

Jolly Roger

Mar 26, 2023, 7:47:43 PM3/26/23
He's only fixated on it because I happened to recommend it (among others
like AdGuard) for blocking ads in Safari, which it does for FREE without
any in-app purchases. : )

Arlen desperately wants to paint it as "crippleware" simply because it
has additional features (such as whole-device ad blocking) that can be
enabled with an in-app purchase. And as you say, countless apps on the
App Store have free functionality with optional in-app purchases for
additional functionality. And like all of those other apps, any adult
can plainly see that 1Blocker's basic ad blocking functionality is
indeed completely FREE. Same with AdGuard and numerous other iOS ad
blockers. Arlen desperately wants us to ignore these FACTS, because he
is driven by his FEELINGS of irrational hate. He's a loser.

nospam

Mar 26, 2023, 7:53:56 PM3/26/23
In article <tvqk4d$2l7l$1...@paganini.bofh.team>, Andy Burnelli
<nos...@nospam.net> wrote:

> Apple put cheap batteries in the iPhone and all your denials don't change
> that fact which is _easily_ proven simply by looking at the AH ratings.

the ah rating has nothing to do with cheapness.

also, comparing ah rating between completely different hardware is
meaningless.

> They won't last as many cycles as the better batteries in Androids, nospam.

false.

the batteries in both iphones and the 'better batteries in androids'
(weasel words) are lithium polymer batteries.

the difference is that android hardware is less power efficient.

now go look at the batteries in the cheap android phones.

> Notice I turn into a child whenever confronted with facts.
> If I left this newsgroup, the group would be civil without me.

ftfy

Andy Burnelli

Mar 27, 2023, 1:28:37 AM3/27/23
nospam wrote:

>> Apple put cheap batteries in the iPhone and all your denials don't change
>> that fact which is _easily_ proven simply by looking at the AH ratings.
>
> the ah rating has nothing to do with cheapness.

There are _many_ news reports that Apple cheaped out on iPhone batteries.

That you're ignorant of that, even as we covered this topic in gory detail
on this very newsgroup, is typical of you iKooks who will remain ignorant.

> also, comparing ah rating between completely different hardware is
> meaningless.

Cycles nospam. Battery charge/recharge cycles, nospam.

That you're completely ignorant of battery charge/discharge cycles is
typical for you iKooks, who only know what Apple marketing feeds you.

>> They won't last as many cycles as the better batteries in Androids, nospam.
>
> false.

That you are ignorant of physics, is typical for you iKooks, nospam.

> the batteries in both iphones and the 'better batteries in androids'
> (weasel words) are lithium polymer batteries.
>
> the difference is that android hardware is less power efficient.
>
> now go look at the batteries in the cheap android phones.

My _free_ Android phone has a better battery than any battery ever put into
any iPhone ever built, nospam - and that you can't comprehend that is
typical for you iKooks (mine is 5 amp hours - and that's not even large).

>> Notice I turn into a child whenever confronted with facts.
>> If I left this newsgroup, the group would be civil without me.
>
> ftfy

You do that because you're unable to respond to facts as an adult, nospam.

The facts are incontrovertible that Apple put cheap batteries in the iPhone
which, over time, will fail far sooner than the larger better batteries.

Do you really think Apple "cared" about you when they put those laughably
puny batteries in the expensive iPhones, nospam? Seriously. Think for once.

Andy Burnelli

Mar 27, 2023, 1:42:18 AM3/27/23
Jolly Roger wrote:

> He's only fixated on it because I happened to recommend it (among others
> like AdGuard) for blocking ads in Safari, which it does for FREE without
> any in-app purchases. : )

You forget, Jolly Roger, that I own & use _both_ iOS & Android platforms.
You do not.

In fact, you iKooks are completely ignorant of what's outside the confines
of the walled garden that you feel so fantastically safe locked inside of.

It's almost always the case free software is crippled on iOS vs Android.
What you call "fixated", Jolly Roger, is I faithfully _tested_ 1Blocker.

FACT:
*In its free form, 1Blocker is worthless crippleware*, Jolly Roger.
Compare, for example, that crippleware with the free equivalent on Android.
<https://netguard.me/>
There is _nothing_ on iOS doing even half of what that FOSS NetGuard does.
<https://raw.githubusercontent.com/M66B/NetGuard/master/screenshots/01-main.png>

> He desperately wants to paint it as "crippleware" simply because it
> has additional features (such as whole-device ad blocking) that can be
> enabled with an in-app purchase.

Jolly Roger,
Do you understand what the _free_ Netguard does for Android users?
(*Or are you completely _ignorant_ of everything you speak about*)?

Read what the free FOSS NetGuard does, for an example of functionality:
<https://github.com/M66B/NetGuard/releases>

> And as you say, countless apps on the
> App Store have free functionality with optional in-app purchases for
> additional functionality. And like all of those other apps, any adult
> can plainly see that 1Blocker's basic ad blocking functionality is
> indeed completely FREE. Same with AdGuard and numerous other iOS ad
> blockers. He desperately wants us to ignore these FACTS, because he
> is driven by his FEELINGS of irrational hate. He's a loser.

If you think the free 1Blocker is great functionality, Jolly Roger,
then that just proves that you are too ignorant to evaluate software.

Compare the free 1Blocker lack of functionality, Jolly Roger, for example,
to the free FOSS NetGuard functionality that Android owners easily enjoy.
<https://raw.githubusercontent.com/M66B/NetGuard/master/screenshots/01-main.png>
<https://raw.githubusercontent.com/M66B/NetGuard/master/screenshots/02-main-details.png>
<https://raw.githubusercontent.com/M66B/NetGuard/master/screenshots/03-main-access.png>
<https://raw.githubusercontent.com/M66B/NetGuard/master/screenshots/08-notifications.png>

Bernd Froehlich

Mar 27, 2023, 2:19:33 AM3/27/23
On 25. Mar 2023 at 14:18:09 CET, "Chris" <ithi...@gmail.com> wrote:

> What apps do people recommend for tracking cycling and walking activities?

Maybe have a look at Open GPX Tracker.

Chris

Mar 27, 2023, 3:52:31 AM3/27/23
Jolly Roger <jolly...@pobox.com> wrote:
> On 2023-03-26, Chris <ithi...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Ant <a...@zimage.comANT> wrote:
>>>
>>> Is iOS' Health and Fitness apps not good enough?
>>
>> Nope. They don't record cycling/walking information on their own.
>> They need an app.
>
> Hmm... My Fitness app has been recording my cycling and walking for
> years now. What am I doing wrong? : )
>
>> Although they do suggest apps and Komoot looked interesting. Requires
>> an account, however.
>
> It seems you completely ignored my initial reply in this thread because
> I told you of an app that does what you want and requires no account
> (and it also has a terrific privacy policy and gathers no data). Oh
> well! : )

Turns out you're in my kf in this ng. That's why?

Chris

Mar 27, 2023, 3:52:31 AM3/27/23
Jolly Roger <jolly...@pobox.com> wrote:
> On 2023-03-25, Chris <ithi...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> What apps do people recommend for tracking cycling and walking
>> activities? I'd much prefer one that doesn't require an account, but
>> am fine with paying. Doesn't need anything fancy just gps and
>> statistics of journeys I can save; distance, avg speed, etc. Not
>> interested in competitive rankings like in Strava.
>
> Apple's Fitness app does this with the Workout app on the Apple Watch:
>
> <https://ibb.co/tQBzMw2>
> <https://ibb.co/TPgzfn3>

I don't have an Apple Watch.

>> I used to use Trails Pro but that died about a year ago.
>>
>> All Trails Pro looks very similar except it requires an account. Can't
>> be arsed with that.
>
> The WorkOutDoors app is *much* more configurable than Apple's apps if
> that's your thing. No online account is required, and the App Privacy
> section of the App Store listing says no data is collected:
>
> <https://apps.apple.com/app/workoutdoors/id1241909999?ls=1>
>
> The developer's privacy policy explicitly states that the app does
> not collect any information about users of the app:
>
> <http://www.workoutdoors.net/Privacy.html>
>
> Looks like a nice app. I'm going to try it out for my next hike.

Requires an Apple watch :(

Chris

Mar 27, 2023, 3:58:29 AM3/27/23
Ant <a...@zimage.comANT> wrote:
> Is iOS' Health and Fitness apps not good enough?

Actually, thanks for the tip. I'd completely blanked the Fitness app. After
some investigation it seems - please correct me if I'm wrong - most of the
functionality in Fitness+ requires an Apple watch and/or a paid
subscription. £9.99pm plus the cost of a watch is way too much for my
needs.

nospam

Mar 27, 2023, 7:00:22 AM3/27/23
In article <tvr9i3$9dql$1...@paganini.bofh.team>, Andy Burnelli
<nos...@nospam.net> wrote:

> >> Apple put cheap batteries in the iPhone and all your denials don't change
> >> that fact which is _easily_ proven simply by looking at the AH ratings.
> >
> > the ah rating has nothing to do with cheapness.
>
> There are _many_ news reports that Apple cheaped out on iPhone batteries.

no there aren't, and again, that's unrelated to ah ratings.

> That you're completely ignorant of battery charge/discharge cycles is
> typical for you iKooks, who only know what Apple marketing feeds you.

battery technology is the same for most modern devices (lithium ion or
lithium polymer), which means the cycle counts will be the same (aside
from individual variances).

further, cycle count is unrelated to ah rating.

you're very ignorant about a lot of things.

> > the batteries in both iphones and the 'better batteries in androids'
> > (weasel words) are lithium polymer batteries.
> >
> > the difference is that android hardware is less power efficient.
> >
> > now go look at the batteries in the cheap android phones.
>
> My _free_ Android phone

unless you stole it (something which cannot be ruled out), it wasn't
free.

> has a better battery than any battery ever put into
> any iPhone ever built,

you're delusional.

Nil

Mar 27, 2023, 9:50:46 AM3/27/23
On 27 Mar 2023, nospam <nos...@nospam.invalid> wrote in
misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.mobile.ipad,comp.sys.mac.advocacy:

>> There are _many_ news reports that Apple cheaped out on iPhone batteries.
>
> no there aren't, and again, that's unrelated to ah ratings.

He's right. We discussed this. With many details. You forget easily.

Apple put cheap boards & separators and cheaper smaller batteries to lower
cost (for Apple) around the iPhone 12 time frame and then Apple got hungry
and kept it cheap for battery components in the later iPhones after that.

nospam

Mar 27, 2023, 11:51:27 AM3/27/23
In article <tvs6vk$3887t$1...@dont-email.me>, Nil
<redn...@REMOVETHIScomcast.net> wrote:

> Apple put cheap boards & separators and cheaper smaller batteries to lower
> cost (for Apple) around the iPhone 12 time frame and then Apple got hungry
> and kept it cheap for battery components in the later iPhones after that.

that is absolutely false.

do that yourself and try to understand what those references actually
say, versus what you want them to say.

Alan

Mar 27, 2023, 12:06:55 PM3/27/23
<https://apps.apple.com/ca/app/topo-reader/id940309979>

"Requires iPadOS 14.0 or later"

Nil

Mar 27, 2023, 12:17:41 PM3/27/23
On 27 Mar 2023, nospam <nos...@nospam.invalid> wrote in
misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.mobile.ipad,comp.sys.mac.advocacy:

>> Apple put cheap boards & separators and cheaper smaller batteries to lower
>> cost (for Apple) around the iPhone 12 time frame and then Apple got hungry
>> and kept it cheap for battery components in the later iPhones after that.
>
> that is absolutely false.

You say that but you provide nothing but indignation because it's true.

> do that yourself and try to understand what those references actually
> say, versus what you want them to say.

You never reads the news of what Apple does given that Apple putting cheap
boards and components starting with the iPhone 12 is very well documented.

Jolly Roger

Mar 27, 2023, 12:25:52 PM3/27/23
On 2023-03-27, Andy Burnelli <nos...@nospam.net> wrote:
> Jolly Roger wrote:
>
>> He's only fixated on it because I happened to recommend it (among
>> others like AdGuard) for blocking ads in Safari, which it does for
>> FREE without any in-app purchases. : )
>
> You forget, Jolly Roger, that I own & use _both_ iOS & Android
> platforms. You do not.

You don't know what I own, and Android is irrelevant in the Apple
newsgroups anyway, trollboi.

> iOS vs Android.

Android is irrelevant here, trollboi.

> equivalent on Android.

Android is irrelevant here, trollboi.

>> He desperately wants to paint it as "crippleware" simply because it
>> has additional features (such as whole-device ad blocking) that can
>> be enabled with an in-app purchase.

> for Android users

Android is irrelevant here, trollboi.

>> And as you say, countless apps on the App Store have free
>> functionality with optional in-app purchases for additional
>> functionality. And like all of those other apps, any adult can
>> plainly see that 1Blocker's basic ad blocking functionality is indeed
>> completely FREE. Same with AdGuard and numerous other iOS ad
>> blockers. He desperately wants us to ignore these FACTS, because he
>> is driven by his FEELINGS of irrational hate. He's a loser.
>
> you are too ignorant to evaluate software

Petty insults are all you have, trollboi.

> Android owners

Android is irrelevant here, trollboi.

Jolly Roger

Mar 27, 2023, 12:26:30 PM3/27/23
Your loss. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Jolly Roger

Mar 27, 2023, 12:27:18 PM3/27/23
On 2023-03-27, Chris <ithi...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Jolly Roger <jolly...@pobox.com> wrote:
>> On 2023-03-25, Chris <ithi...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> What apps do people recommend for tracking cycling and walking
>>> activities? I'd much prefer one that doesn't require an account,
>>> but am fine with paying. Doesn't need anything fancy just gps and
>>> statistics of journeys I can save; distance, avg speed, etc. Not
>>> interested in competitive rankings like in Strava.
>>
>> Apple's Fitness app does this with the Workout app on the Apple
>> Watch:
>>
>> <https://ibb.co/tQBzMw2> <https://ibb.co/TPgzfn3>
>
> I don't have an Apple Watch.

Shame, it's great for this sort of thing. Recommended.

Jolly Roger

Mar 27, 2023, 12:28:26 PM3/27/23
On 2023-03-27, Chris <ithi...@gmail.com> wrote:
Unfortunately, I never used the Fitness app before getting my first
Apple Watch, so someone else will hopefully have the answer to that
question.

Jolly Roger

Mar 27, 2023, 12:29:56 PM3/27/23
On 2023-03-27, Nil <redn...@REMOVETHIScomcast.net> wrote:
> On 27 Mar 2023, nospam <nos...@nospam.invalid> wrote in
> misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.mobile.ipad,comp.sys.mac.advocacy:
>
>>> There are _many_ news reports that Apple cheaped out on iPhone
>>> batteries.
>>
>> no there aren't, and again, that's unrelated to ah ratings.
>
> He's right.

Nope. And until either one of you coughs up objectively verified
evidence of Apple supposedly "cheaping out on batteries", everyone else
will just assume you're full of shit.

Jolly Roger

Mar 27, 2023, 12:30:56 PM3/27/23
On 2023-03-27, Nil <redn...@REMOVETHIScomcast.net> wrote:
> On 27 Mar 2023, nospam <nos...@nospam.invalid> wrote in
> misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.mobile.ipad,comp.sys.mac.advocacy:
>
>>> Apple put cheap boards & separators and cheaper smaller batteries to
>>> lower cost (for Apple) around the iPhone 12 time frame and then
>>> Apple got hungry and kept it cheap for battery components in the
>>> later iPhones after that.
>>
>> that is absolutely false.
>
> You say that but you provide nothing but indignation because it's
> true.

The burden of proof is on you since you are making the (obviously false)
claim.

Alan

Mar 27, 2023, 3:21:33 PM3/27/23
On 2023-03-27 09:17, Nil wrote:
> On 27 Mar 2023, nospam <nos...@nospam.invalid> wrote in
> misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.mobile.ipad,comp.sys.mac.advocacy:
>
>>> Apple put cheap boards & separators and cheaper smaller batteries to lower
>>> cost (for Apple) around the iPhone 12 time frame and then Apple got hungry
>>> and kept it cheap for battery components in the later iPhones after that.
>>
>> that is absolutely false.
>
> You say that but you provide nothing but indignation because it's true.

Sorry, but it is the responsibility of those making the claim to support it.

So whatcha got?

>> do that yourself and try to understand what those references actually
>> say, versus what you want them to say.
>
> You never reads the news of what Apple does given that Apple putting cheap
> boards and components starting with the iPhone 12 is very well documented.

And yet...

..you haven't provided ANY documentation.

Weird, huh?

Alan

Mar 27, 2023, 3:21:53 PM3/27/23
On 2023-03-27 09:30, Jolly Roger wrote:
> On 2023-03-27, Nil <redn...@REMOVETHIScomcast.net> wrote:
>> On 27 Mar 2023, nospam <nos...@nospam.invalid> wrote in
>> misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.mobile.ipad,comp.sys.mac.advocacy:

>>> that is absolutely false.
>>
>> You say that but you provide nothing but indignation because it's
>> true.
>
> The burden of proof is on you since you are making the (obviously false)
> claim.

Hitchen's Razor.

Bob Campbell

Mar 27, 2023, 3:22:57 PM3/27/23
Jolly Roger <jolly...@pobox.com> wrote:

> The burden of proof is on you since you are making the (obviously false)
> claim.

Since the claim IS false, it will be funny (again) when The Trolls link to
an opinion piece that agrees with THEIR opinion on the matter, and thus
claim “Here this link proves my claim!”

As always, it is to laugh.

Nil

Mar 27, 2023, 3:51:16 PM3/27/23
On 27 Mar 2023, Jolly Roger <jolly...@pobox.com> wrote in
misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.mobile.ipad,comp.sys.mac.advocacy:

>> You say that but you provide nothing but indignation because it's
>> true.
>
> The burden of proof is on you since you are making the (obviously false)
> claim.

I wanted to first prove how ignorant you are of all the news everyone else
knows because everyone but you reads the news about what Apple does.

Even better, I wanted to show you deny everything that you don't like.
You don't even *think* for a second before you deny what everyone knows.

Nil

Mar 27, 2023, 3:52:47 PM3/27/23
On 27 Mar 2023, Jolly Roger <jolly...@pobox.com> wrote in
misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.mobile.ipad,comp.sys.mac.advocacy:

> Nope. And until either one of you coughs up objectively verified
> evidence of Apple supposedly "cheaping out on batteries", everyone else
> will just assume you're full of shit.

You deny it.
Only because you don't like it.

It's the kind of person you are which almost nobody normal is.
Just you.

Most people *think* before they deny what everyone else knows.
But not you.

Everyone but you knows about Apple putting cheap battery components in the
iPhone 12, and you deny it without even *thinking* about it for a second.

What's wrong with you?

nospam

Mar 27, 2023, 3:53:11 PM3/27/23
In article <CQ6dndr1b6OYcLz5...@supernews.com>, Bob
Campbell <nu...@none.none> wrote:

> Since the claim IS false, it will be funny (again) when The Trolls link to
> an opinion piece that agrees with THEIR opinion on the matter, and thus
> claim ³Here this link proves my claim!²
>
> As always, it is to laugh.

it's even better when they link to something that says the opposite of
what they're claiming. it saves everyone else a lot of work.

Andy Burnelli

Mar 27, 2023, 4:05:34 PM3/27/23
Jolly Roger wrote:

> Android is irrelevant here, trollboi.

What's interesting is you are so _desperate_ to make facts go away you
can't even come up with a logically sensible argument against the facts.

For example... if Android is irrelevant on this newsgroup, Jolly Roger...
Why did you post this thread, Jolly Roger, if "Android is irrelevant"?
*EIGHTEEN new zero-day vulnerabilities found in Samsung Exynos chipsets*
By Jolly Roger, Mar 23, 2023
<https://groups.google.com/g/misc.phone.mobile.iphone/c/RwGiXy243dk>

Back to the facts...

Fact is, *1Blocker freeware is horrible unusable crappy crippleware*.
<https://i.postimg.cc/k4PwDddj/mothership25.jpg> Firewall doesn't work
If you cant' see that, it's because you're not a normal person, JR.
*You're an iKook who thinks even worthless crippleware is great*.

It's no longer shocking that iKooks are ignorant about all iOS products.

Alan

Mar 27, 2023, 4:16:49 PM3/27/23
And STILL you don't provide a shred of this "news" you claim exists.

Alan

Mar 27, 2023, 4:17:10 PM3/27/23
Still waiting for your to prove it's actually happened.

Jolly Roger

Mar 27, 2023, 4:33:05 PM3/27/23
On 2023-03-27, Andy Burnelli <nos...@nospam.net> wrote:
> Jolly Roger wrote:
>
>> Android is irrelevant here, trollboi.
>
> What's interesting is you are so _desperate_ to make facts go away

The FACT is the OP asked for an *iOS* cycle/walking app, and you're here
blabbing about how Android is supposedly superior.

Jolly Roger

Mar 27, 2023, 4:34:06 PM3/27/23
That's because it doesn't exist.

Jolly Roger

Mar 27, 2023, 4:36:10 PM3/27/23
On 2023-03-27, Alan <nuh...@nope.com> wrote:
> On 2023-03-27 12:53, Nil wrote:
>> On 27 Mar 2023, Jolly Roger <jolly...@pobox.com> wrote in
>> misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.mobile.ipad,comp.sys.mac.advocacy:
>>
>>> Nope. And until either one of you coughs up objectively verified
>>> evidence of Apple supposedly "cheaping out on batteries", everyone
>>> else will just assume you're full of shit.
>>
>> You deny it.

Nil claimed it without evidence.

>> Only because you don't like it.

Only because of Nil's irrational hatred of Apple.

>> What's wrong with you?
>
> Still waiting for your to prove it's actually happened.

Don't hold your breath.

Also, note how Nil keeps adding comp.sys.mac.advocacy to the Newsgroups
header. Trolls gonna troll. ; )

Nil

Mar 27, 2023, 5:01:28 PM3/27/23
On 27 Mar 2023, nospam <nos...@nospam.invalid> wrote in
misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.mobile.ipad,comp.sys.mac.advocacy:

> it's even better when they link to something that says the opposite of
> what they're claiming. it saves everyone else a lot of work.

You just deny whatever it is about Apple that you don't happen to like.

And yet, everyone knows it was well documented that Apple cheaped out on
the iPhone 12 batteries (both the boards and the other components).

Everyone but you.

I want to show how not normal people like you are who deny things
without knowing a single thing about what it is they are denying.

Nil

Mar 27, 2023, 5:02:57 PM3/27/23
On 27 Mar 2023, Jolly Roger <jolly...@pobox.com> wrote in
misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.mobile.ipad:

>> And STILL you don't provide a shred of this "news" you claim exists.
>
> That's because it doesn't exist.

Oh, it exists. It was well documented. Even on this newsgroup it was.
It was big news when it came out and Apple couldn't deny it.
Because it's true.

You just deny whatever it is about Apple that you don't happen to like.

I want to show how not normal people like you are who deny things
without knowing a single thing about what it is they are denying.

You are not a normal person because nobody normal would do that.
Just you.

Alan Browne

Mar 27, 2023, 5:04:04 PM3/27/23
On 2023-03-27 15:21, Alan wrote:
> Hitchen's Razor

a nice complement to:
"Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence."
-Carl Sagan. (and others before him).

--
“Donald Trump and his allies and supporters are a clear and present
danger to American democracy.”
- J Michael Luttig - 2022-06-16
- Former US appellate court judge (R) testifying to the January 6
committee

Nil

Mar 27, 2023, 5:10:41 PM3/27/23
On 27 Mar 2023, Jolly Roger <jolly...@pobox.com> wrote in
misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.mobile.ipad:

>> Still waiting for your to prove it's actually happened.
>
> Don't hold your breath.

I wanted you to prove you deny whatever you don't like about Apple.
You don't even bother to *think* for a second about it.
You just deny it.

Nobody normal does that.
Just you.

Everyone knows it's well documented Apple cheaped out on the battery tech
for the iPhone 12 as it was widely documented in the news at the time.

But you don't read the news.
Even now, you can't be bothered to look it up.

You're much more comfortable denying everything you don't like about Apple.
Aren't you?

Andy Burnelli

Mar 27, 2023, 5:14:13 PM3/27/23
Jolly Roger wrote:

> The FACT is the OP asked for an *iOS* cycle/walking app, and you're here
> blabbing about how Android is supposedly superior.

And yet, I provided _multiple_ solutions for the OP, with screenshots.

Besides, I'm not the one who brought up the iOS 1Blocker crippleware.

You did.

Nil

Mar 27, 2023, 5:18:35 PM3/27/23
On 27 Mar 2023, Alan <nuh...@nope.com> wrote in
misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.mobile.ipad,comp.sys.mac.advocacy:

> Still waiting for your to prove it's actually happened.

You were provided the links.

You didn't read them.
Why not?

I know why.
You just want to deny everything about Apple that you don't like.

Things like cheap iPhone 12 battery components that Apple doesn't deny.]
Just you deny it.

Nobody else.
Just you.

You don't even *think* about what it is that you are denying.
If you knew anything about Apple, you couldn't deny it.

Especially since it's so well documented, only an idiot would deny it.
That idiot is you.

Everyone knows, except you, Apple cheaped out on the iPhone 12 batteries.
Look it up yourself before denying it again and again and again.

Nil

Mar 27, 2023, 5:25:51 PM3/27/23
On 27 Mar 2023, Alan Browne <bitb...@blackhole.com> wrote in
misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.mobile.ipad,comp.sys.mac.advocacy:

> "Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence."

How about normal claims require normal evidence which is that it's
already well documented because it's true & everyone but you knows this.

It's a toss up if Alan Baker or Jolly Roger or nospam is more ignorant than
Alan Browne, which I wanted to point out because if the four of them left
this newsgroup, it would approach the normality of other Usenet newsgroups.

Everyone knows, but the iKooks, what Apple did...

<https://www.theverge.com/2020/8/21/21394985/apple-iphone-12-battery-cost-5g-kuo>
<https://appleinsider.com/articles/20/08/21/apple-to-offset-cost-of-5g-iphone-components-with-cheaper-battery-tech>
<https://www.maticstoday.com/2020/08/21/why-apple-is-using-cheap-battery-parts-in-iphone-12/>
<https://9to5mac.com/2020/08/21/kuo-iphone-12-5g-component-cost/>
<https://www.pcmag.com/news/report-iphone-12-to-use-smaller-cheaper-battery>
<https://www.macrumors.com/2020/08/20/kuo-iphone-12-battery-board/>
<https://www.timesnownews.com/technology-science/article/apple-opting-for-cheaper-battery-parts-to-cut-costs-on-5g-iphone-12-analyst-ming-chi-kuo/640657>
<https://techlog360.com/apple-will-use-cheaper-parts-in-the-iphone-12/>
<https://www.phonearena.com/news/apple-to-skimp-on-battery-tech-for-5g-iPhones-says-Kuo_id126708>

Notice that the iKooks all denied without even *thinking* about it.
They just don't like what Apple did so they deny that Apple did it.

Even Apple doesn't deny it.
Just the iKooks.

If they iKooks this newsgroup, it would approach normalcy of other groups.

Alan

Mar 27, 2023, 5:43:53 PM3/27/23
On 2023-03-27 14:18, Nil wrote:
> On 27 Mar 2023, Alan <nuh...@nope.com> wrote in
> misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.mobile.ipad,comp.sys.mac.advocacy:
>
>> Still waiting for your to prove it's actually happened.
>
> You were provided the links.

You're lying.

Alan

Mar 27, 2023, 5:44:31 PM3/27/23
A simple example of this "documentation" would have served better than
all that verbiage.

Nil

Mar 27, 2023, 5:51:17 PM3/27/23
On 27 Mar 2023, Alan <nuh...@nope.com> wrote in
misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.mobile.ipad,comp.sys.mac.advocacy:

> A simple example of this "documentation" would have served better than
> all that verbiage.

I wanted to show everyone how you are ignorant of everything about Apple.

You're not a normal person in that it was provided to you so many times
already, and you deny it was provided because your brain can't read it.

You didn't read the documentation then, why would you read it now?

You will deny everything about Apple just because you don't like it.
It wouldn't even occur to your tiny Neanderthal brain to look it up.
Jolly Roger. nospam. Alan Baker. Alan Browne.

They all denied what they were informed of many times already.
They just don't like what Apple did so they deny that Apple did it.

Even Apple doesn't deny it.
Just the iKooks.

If the 4 iKooks this newsgroup, it would approach normalcy of other groups.

Nil

Mar 27, 2023, 5:54:02 PM3/27/23

Alan

Mar 27, 2023, 5:54:47 PM3/27/23
On 2023-03-27 14:26, Nil wrote:
> On 27 Mar 2023, Alan Browne <bitb...@blackhole.com> wrote in
> misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.mobile.ipad,comp.sys.mac.advocacy:
>
>> "Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence."
>
> How about normal claims require normal evidence which is that it's
> already well documented because it's true & everyone but you knows this.
>
> It's a toss up if Alan Baker or Jolly Roger or nospam is more ignorant than
> Alan Browne, which I wanted to point out because if the four of them left
> this newsgroup, it would approach the normality of other Usenet newsgroups.
>
> Everyone knows, but the iKooks, what Apple did...
>
> <https://www.theverge.com/2020/8/21/21394985/apple-iphone-12-battery-cost-5g-kuo>

References a report by one analyst.

> <https://appleinsider.com/articles/20/08/21/apple-to-offset-cost-of-5g-iphone-components-with-cheaper-battery-tech>

References the same primary source.

> <https://www.maticstoday.com/2020/08/21/why-apple-is-using-cheap-battery-parts-in-iphone-12/>

Same source

> <https://9to5mac.com/2020/08/21/kuo-iphone-12-5g-component-cost/>

Same...

> <https://www.pcmag.com/news/report-iphone-12-to-use-smaller-cheaper-battery>

Same...

> <https://www.macrumors.com/2020/08/20/kuo-iphone-12-battery-board/>

Same...

> <https://www.timesnownews.com/technology-science/article/apple-opting-for-cheaper-battery-parts-to-cut-costs-on-5g-iphone-12-analyst-ming-chi-kuo/640657>

Same...

> <https://techlog360.com/apple-will-use-cheaper-parts-in-the-iphone-12/>

Same...

> <https://www.phonearena.com/news/apple-to-skimp-on-battery-tech-for-5g-iPhones-says-Kuo_id126708>

And still the same.

So what you really have is ONE report by ONE analyst...

...who is far from all-knowing.

> Notice that the iKooks all denied without even *thinking* about it.

Notice that you tried make one piece of evidence look like nine.

> They just don't like what Apple did so they deny that Apple did it.
>
> Even Apple doesn't deny it.
> Just the iKooks.
>
> If they iKooks this newsgroup, it would approach normalcy of other groups.

Notice also that Arlen has added a new posting nym.

Alan

Mar 27, 2023, 5:55:28 PM3/27/23
On 2023-03-27 14:51, Nil wrote:
> On 27 Mar 2023, Alan <nuh...@nope.com> wrote in
> misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.mobile.ipad,comp.sys.mac.advocacy:
>
>> A simple example of this "documentation" would have served better than
>> all that verbiage.
>
> I wanted to show everyone how you are ignorant of everything about Apple.

And I've just shown that you're not bright enough to realize you've
reference one report by one analyst as if it were nine.

Alan

Mar 27, 2023, 5:56:04 PM3/27/23
On 2023-03-27 14:54, Nil wrote:
> On 27 Mar 2023, Alan <nuh...@nope.com> wrote in
> misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.mobile.ipad,comp.sys.mac.advocacy:
>
>>> You were provided the links.
>>
>> You're lying.
>
> I wanted to show everyone how you are ignorant of everything about Apple.

And I've just shown that you're not bright enough to realize you've
referenced one report by one analyst as if it were nine.

David E. Ross

Mar 27, 2023, 5:58:36 PM3/27/23
On 3/27/2023 9:27 AM, Jolly Roger wrote:
>> I don't have an Apple Watch.
>
> Shame, it's great for this sort of thing. Recommended.

The Apple watch is a solution seeking a problem to solve.
In other words, the Apple watch is a great way to waste your money.
Most people who buy it are doing only so that they can look stylish.
--
David E. Ross
<http://www.rossde.com/>

Beyond Meat and other such vegetarian meat substitutes
represent the ultimate in ultra-processed foods. Real
meat is natural. Beyond Meat is definitely not.

nospam

Mar 27, 2023, 6:27:32 PM3/27/23
In article <tvt3ia$3d8i9$1...@dont-email.me>, David E. Ross
<nob...@notme.invalid> wrote:

> The Apple watch is a solution seeking a problem to solve.
> In other words, the Apple watch is a great way to waste your money.
> Most people who buy it are doing only so that they can look stylish.

why is it that people bash products they've never used?

and if style is the goal, there are *many* other stylish watches, with
prices from less expensive to significantly more expensive.

so no, style is not why people buy an apple watch.

sms

Mar 27, 2023, 6:49:40 PM3/27/23
On 3/27/2023 2:58 PM, David E. Ross wrote:
> On 3/27/2023 9:27 AM, Jolly Roger wrote:
>>> I don't have an Apple Watch.
>>
>> Shame, it's great for this sort of thing. Recommended.
>
> The Apple watch is a solution seeking a problem to solve.
> In other words, the Apple watch is a great way to waste your money.
> Most people who buy it are doing only so that they can look stylish.

I was skeptical about the Apple Watch but I really do like mine.

It's a luxury item to be sure. I received a $300 Apple gift card which I
used to buy mine. I pair it with exercise equipment at the gym. Wish
that it supported ANT+ for heart rate monitor. The pulse-oximeter
function is pretty cool. The exercise monitor encourages you to
close the rings." It's nice to be able to do Apple Pay without pulling
out your iPhone.

The downside is that you can only go one day between charging it. If you
charge when you go to bed then you can't use it to monitor your sleep.

Another annoyance is that it frequently will think display "it looks
like you've taken a hard fall" and offer to cal 911, though I've never
taken a hard fall the times that it thinks I have. The one time I
crashed when skiing, it did not register "a hard fall."

Was it a waste of money? It depends on your view. To me, it was a
discretionary purchase that I enjoy. Some people enjoy going to
Disneyland at $300 a day and to me that would be a waste of money, but
it's how they choose to spend their money.

--
“If you are not an expert on a subject, then your opinions about it
really do matter less than the opinions of experts. It's not

Jolly Roger

Mar 27, 2023, 7:12:13 PM3/27/23
On 2023-03-27, nospam <nos...@nospam.invalid> wrote:
> In article <tvs6vk$3887t$1...@dont-email.me>, Nil
><redn...@REMOVETHIScomcast.net> wrote:
>

>> Apple put cheap boards & separators and cheaper smaller batteries to lower
>> cost (for Apple) around the iPhone 12 time frame and then Apple got hungry
>> and kept it cheap for battery components in the later iPhones after that.
>
> that is absolutely false.

He's basing it on a *rumor* by an analyst who stated that he believes
Apple "will reduce the number of rigid-flex battery board layers and
squeeze active cell components", which doesn't mean the board layers are
inferior in construction, nor that the batteries would necessarily have
reduced performance or capacity:

<https://appleinsider.com/articles/20/08/21/apple-to-offset-cost-of-5g-iphone-components-with-cheaper-battery-tech>

He used the words "Apple cheaped out" in order to suggest Apple's
putting out crap batteries, which is not what the rumor claims, and more
importantly has no actual evidence to back it up.

Jolly Roger

Mar 27, 2023, 7:13:48 PM3/27/23
On 2023-03-27, Alan <nuh...@nope.com> wrote:
Not only that, but it's just a rumor from an analyst who didn't say
Apple was using inferior batteries, but that he believes Apple "will
reduce the number of rigid-flex battery board layers and squeeze active
cell components into a smaller area".

Jolly Roger

Mar 27, 2023, 7:17:32 PM3/27/23
On 2023-03-27, Nil <redn...@REMOVETHIScomcast.net> wrote:
> On 27 Mar 2023, Jolly Roger <jolly...@pobox.com> wrote in
> misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.mobile.ipad:
>
>>> And STILL you don't provide a shred of this "news" you claim exists.
>>
>> That's because it doesn't exist.
>
> Oh, it exists.

Nope. All you found was a rumor from an analyst that claimed he believed
Apple would "reduce the number of rigid-flex battery board layers and
squeeze active cell components into a smaller area". Nothing in this
rumor claimed Apple would use inferior batteries, and the rumor hasn't
been actually verified to be true.

> It was well documented.

Nope.

> It was big news when it came out

Rumors aren't news.

> Apple couldn't deny it.

Apple doesn't affirm or deny rumors.

> Because it's true.

Nope, it's a baseless rumor.

Jolly Roger

Mar 27, 2023, 7:20:31 PM3/27/23
On 2023-03-27, Alan <nuh...@nope.com> wrote:
> On 2023-03-27 14:26, Nil wrote:
>> On 27 Mar 2023, Alan Browne <bitb...@blackhole.com> wrote in
>> misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.mobile.ipad,comp.sys.mac.advocacy:
>>
>>> "Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence."
>>
>> How about normal claims require normal evidence which is that it's
>> already well documented because it's true & everyone but you knows
>> this.
>>
>> It's a toss up if Alan Baker or Jolly Roger or nospam is more
>> ignorant than Alan Browne, which I wanted to point out because if the
>> four of them left this newsgroup, it would approach the normality of
>> other Usenet newsgroups.
>>
>> Everyone knows, but the iKooks, what Apple did...
>
> So what you really have is ONE report by ONE analyst...
>
> ...who is far from all-knowing.

It's a rumor. The rumor didn't state Apple would use inferior batteries
- just a reduction in rigid-flex battery board layers to squeeze active
cell components into a smaller area. And there's no actual evidence of
what the rumor did claim.

>> If they iKooks this newsgroup, it would approach normalcy of other
>> groups.
>
> Notice also that Arlen has added a new posting nym.

He's been using this one for a while, but yes.

Jolly Roger

Mar 27, 2023, 7:21:32 PM3/27/23
On 2023-03-27, Nil <redn...@REMOVETHIScomcast.net> wrote:
> On 27 Mar 2023, Alan <nuh...@nope.com> wrote in
> misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.mobile.ipad,comp.sys.mac.advocacy:
>
>> Still waiting for your to prove it's actually happened.
>
> You were provided the links.

Links to an analyst claiming he believed something might happen aren't
proof of something actually happening, child.

Jolly Roger

Mar 27, 2023, 7:22:18 PM3/27/23
On 2023-03-27, Andy Burnelli <nos...@nospam.net> wrote:
> Jolly Roger wrote:
>
>> The FACT is the OP asked for an *iOS* cycle/walking app, and you're
>> here blabbing about how Android is supposedly superior.
>
> And yet, I trolled about Android in response.

Yep.

Jolly Roger

Mar 27, 2023, 7:22:53 PM3/27/23
On 2023-03-27, David E. Ross <nob...@notme.invalid> wrote:
> On 3/27/2023 9:27 AM, Jolly Roger wrote:
>>> I don't have an Apple Watch.
>>
>> Shame, it's great for this sort of thing. Recommended.
>
> The Apple watch is a solution seeking a problem to solve. In other
> words, the Apple watch is a great way to waste your money. Most
> people who buy it are doing only so that they can look stylish.

Obvious troll is obvious.

Jolly Roger

Mar 27, 2023, 7:23:51 PM3/27/23
On 2023-03-27, sms <scharf...@geemail.com> wrote:

>>> Shame, it's great for this sort of thing. Recommended.
>>
>> The Apple watch is a solution seeking a problem to solve. In other
>> words, the Apple watch is a great way to waste your money. Most
>> people who buy it are doing only so that they can look stylish.
>
> I was skeptical about the Apple Watch but I really do like mine.

Too bad. The only reason you bought it was to be stylish. It's true.
David E. Ross said it.

Nil

Mar 27, 2023, 8:04:31 PM3/27/23
On 28 Mar 2023, Jolly Roger <jolly...@pobox.com> wrote in
misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.mobile.ipad,comp.sys.mac.advocacy:

> Not only that, but it's just a rumor from an analyst who didn't say
> Apple was using inferior batteries, but that he believes Apple "will
> reduce the number of rigid-flex battery board layers and squeeze active
> cell components into a smaller area".

I waited to provide the references to show how ignorant you iKooks are.
All you ignorant iKooks disputed it without even KNOWING about it.

Without you four ignorant iKooks, this newsgroup would approach normalcy.

Jolly Roger
nospam
Alan Brown
Alan Baker

Apple couldn't dispute it and yet you disputed it without even knowing it.
That's how ignorant all you iKooks are about everything that Apple does.

Nil

Mar 27, 2023, 8:04:39 PM3/27/23
On 28 Mar 2023, Jolly Roger <jolly...@pobox.com> wrote in
misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.mobile.ipad,comp.sys.mac.advocacy:

> Links to an analyst claiming he believed something might happen aren't
> proof of something actually happening, child.

I waited to provide the references because I wanted everyone to know that
you are ignorant of everything about Apple (you don't ever read the news).

Even Apple couldn't dispute it because if they could, they would.
And they didn't. Because they can't.

Alan

Mar 27, 2023, 8:12:30 PM3/27/23
On 2023-03-27 17:04, Nil wrote:
> On 28 Mar 2023, Jolly Roger <jolly...@pobox.com> wrote in
> misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.mobile.ipad,comp.sys.mac.advocacy:
>
>> Not only that, but it's just a rumor from an analyst who didn't say
>> Apple was using inferior batteries, but that he believes Apple "will
>> reduce the number of rigid-flex battery board layers and squeeze active
>> cell components into a smaller area".
>
> I waited to provide the references to show how ignorant you iKooks are.
> All you ignorant iKooks disputed it without even KNOWING about it.

I knew about that.

I also knew it was without any evidence to back it up.

Alan

Mar 27, 2023, 8:13:11 PM3/27/23
On 2023-03-27 17:04, Nil wrote:
Or they just didn't feel the need.

iPhone battery LIFE is completely competitive with other companies'
offerings.

Connor Shannon

Mar 27, 2023, 8:25:52 PM3/27/23
On Monday, March 27, 2023 at 12:58:29 AM UTC-7, Chris wrote:
> Ant <a...@zimage.comANT> wrote:
> > Is iOS' Health and Fitness apps not good enough?
> Actually, thanks for the tip. I'd completely blanked the Fitness app. After
> some investigation it seems - please correct me if I'm wrong - most of the
> functionality in Fitness+ requires an Apple watch and/or a paid
> subscription. £9.99pm plus the cost of a watch is way too much for my
> needs.

chris did you try the one I suggested? It maybe got buried in all the spam from the nym guy...

nospam

Mar 27, 2023, 8:54:13 PM3/27/23
In article <tvt6i2$3dr69$1...@dont-email.me>, sms
<scharf...@geemail.com> wrote:

> It's a luxury item to be sure.

the higher end models are a luxury item, in particular, the ceramic
model. the mainstream models are not.

> I received a $300 Apple gift card which I
> used to buy mine. I pair it with exercise equipment at the gym. Wish
> that it supported ANT+ for heart rate monitor.

ant+ is dead (not that it was ever alive) and the watch has its own
heart rate monitor.

> The pulse-oximeter
> function is pretty cool. The exercise monitor encourages you to
> close the rings." It's nice to be able to do Apple Pay without pulling
> out your iPhone.

thereby negating all of your stories about not being able to use apple
pay due to a mask.

> The downside is that you can only go one day between charging it.

closer to 2 days, and the ultra is even longer.

> If you
> charge when you go to bed then you can't use it to monitor your sleep.

except that many people do exactly that. charge it while showering in
the morning.

> Another annoyance is that it frequently will think display "it looks
> like you've taken a hard fall" and offer to cal 911, though I've never
> taken a hard fall the times that it thinks I have.

then there's something wrong with yours, or you fall a lot and don't
remember. the latter would also explain a lot of your posts.

Jolly Roger

Mar 27, 2023, 10:43:23 PM3/27/23
On 2023-03-28, Nil <redn...@REMOVETHIScomcast.net> wrote:
> On 28 Mar 2023, Jolly Roger <jolly...@pobox.com> wrote in
> misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.mobile.ipad,comp.sys.mac.advocacy:
>
>> Not only that, but it's just a rumor from an analyst who didn't say
>> Apple was using inferior batteries, but that he believes Apple "will
>> reduce the number of rigid-flex battery board layers and squeeze
>> active cell components into a smaller area".
>
> I waited to provide the references

The references are to a rumor with no credible evidence that the rumor
was true.

Your trolls are weak, old man.

> Apple couldn't dispute it

Apple doesn't confirm or deny rumors - it is simply indifferent to them.

Leonard Blaisdell

Mar 27, 2023, 11:39:41 PM3/27/23
On 2023-03-27, David E. Ross <nob...@notme.invalid> wrote:

> The Apple watch is a solution seeking a problem to solve.
> In other words, the Apple watch is a great way to waste your money.
> Most people who buy it are doing only so that they can look stylish.

Not even close. We have one iPhone and run two apple watches off of it.
With the iPhone somewhere across the country, I can still make phone calls,
check messages, etc.. I usually use a iPad to do that and use the Apple
Watch for timers and alarms, but the capability is there if I need it.
If for no other reason, I'm old and having the capability to call 911 from
my wrist gives me peace of mind. The Apple Watch has saved lives and
located missing persons.
The iPhone acts as a server to my watch, wherever it may be.

rdb

Mar 28, 2023, 12:47:02 AM3/28/23
On 28 Mar 2023, Leonard Blaisdell <leobla...@sbcglobal.net> posted some
news <news:k8f5rq...@mid.individual.net>:

> Not even close. We have one iPhone and run two apple watches off of it.
> With the iPhone somewhere across the country, I can still make phone calls,
> check messages, etc.. I usually use a iPad to do that and use the Apple
> Watch for timers and alarms, but the capability is there if I need it.
> If for no other reason, I'm old and having the capability to call 911 from
> my wrist gives me peace of mind. The Apple Watch has saved lives and
> located missing persons.
> The iPhone acts as a server to my watch, wherever it may be.

Are you really that afraid you allow yourself to be logged into an Internet
server every second of the day expecting that overseas server to protect
you?

Why is it only Apple owners quaking in fear of every danger that they can
imagine (and that Apple instills upon them by inserting into their brain
stem that only Apple can protect them from their own unreasonable fear)?

It's a worthwhile question to ask why you are so afraid when nobody else is
but you?

Nil

Mar 28, 2023, 12:50:49 AM3/28/23
On 28 Mar 2023, Alan <nuh...@nope.com> wrote in
misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.mobile.ipad,comp.sys.mac.advocacy:

> I knew about that.

You did not and that is why I waited because I wanted to show that you
ignorant iKooks not only don't know anything about what Apple does, but you
will deny on sight anything that Apple does that you simply do not like.

Like you did here. And like you always do.

The instant you ignorant iKooks leave this group, it will be normal again.

Nil

Mar 28, 2023, 12:51:56 AM3/28/23
On 27 Mar 2023, Jolly Roger <jolly...@pobox.com> wrote in
misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.mobile.ipad:

> Apple doesn't confirm or deny rumors - it is simply indifferent to them.

What's important was that I waited for you to prove, beyond doubt, after
many posts, that you denied what you didn't even know about, many times.

It's what you iKooks do, and the sooner you leave this group, the better.

Nil

Mar 28, 2023, 12:56:04 AM3/28/23
On 27 Mar 2023, Alan <nuh...@nope.com> wrote in
misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.mobile.ipad,comp.sys.mac.advocacy:

> Or they just didn't feel the need.

What matters is I waited to give you many chances to prove you knew
"something" (anything!) when you flatly denied everything Apple does.

You didn't.
You denied everything (without thinking!) because you didn't like it.

It's always the case you ignorant iKooks don't even read the news.
The sooner you leave this newsgroup, the better for everyone else.

Alan

Mar 28, 2023, 1:25:36 AM3/28/23
On 2023-03-27 21:56, Nil wrote:
> On 27 Mar 2023, Alan <nuh...@nope.com> wrote in
> misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.mobile.ipad,comp.sys.mac.advocacy:
>
>> Or they just didn't feel the need.
>
> What matters is I waited to give you many chances to prove you knew
> "something" (anything!) when you flatly denied everything Apple does.

I haven't denied anything...

...because you haven't yet show that Apple DID anything.

> You didn't.
> You denied everything (without thinking!) because you didn't like it.
>
> It's always the case you ignorant iKooks don't even read the news.
> The sooner you leave this newsgroup, the better for everyone else.

The sooner you produce actual evidence that Apple has used batteries
that are actually somehow inferior...

Alan

Mar 28, 2023, 1:26:21 AM3/28/23
On 2023-03-27 21:51, Nil wrote:
> On 28 Mar 2023, Alan <nuh...@nope.com> wrote in
> misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.mobile.ipad,comp.sys.mac.advocacy:
>
>> I knew about that.
>
> You did not and that is why I waited because I wanted to show that you
> ignorant iKooks not only don't know anything about what Apple does, but you
> will deny on sight anything that Apple does that you simply do not like.

I knew that Kuo had made a CLAIM.

And you haven't shown anything that proves Apple DID anything in particular.

Leonard Blaisdell

Mar 28, 2023, 2:18:59 AM3/28/23
Dude! You need some sleep. Nothing you said has any relation to anything
I said. If you think it does, you need help.
Oh, and if you're over 75 and don't want the convenience of a "wrist
helper", perhaps when you croak, society will be notified by the foul
smell, emanating from wherever you drop.
I'm sorry that you promote junk as a computing choice. You should be
too. What 'junk of choice' do you prefer?

Chris

Mar 28, 2023, 2:24:35 AM3/28/23
Jolly Roger <jolly...@pobox.com> wrote:
> On 2023-03-27, Chris <ithi...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Jolly Roger <jolly...@pobox.com> wrote:

>>> Apple's Fitness app does this with the Workout app on the Apple
>>> Watch:
>>>
>>> <https://ibb.co/tQBzMw2> <https://ibb.co/TPgzfn3>
>>
>> I don't have an Apple Watch.
>
> Shame, it's great for this sort of thing. Recommended.

A phone on its own works very well for "this sort of thing" as I was able
to do with the Trails app before it was discontinued.

A Watch is fine for those who want one.
It is loading more messages.