Draw a route in a map

1 view

Carlos E. R.

Mar 24, 2023, 5:59:20 AM3/24/23

I seek a web that, given a list of waypoints (cities) draws a route from
the first to the last.

I have bought something that is coming from China and they are updating
where it is each day, and I'm curious to map the route they take. Of
course I have no idea what transport they are using, but never mind.

Google maps can draw, apparently, only an origin and a destination.

--
Cheers,
Carlos E.R.

Andy Burns

Mar 24, 2023, 6:06:01 AM3/24/23
Carlos E. R. wrote

> I seek a web that, given a list of waypoints (cities) draws a route from
> the first to the last.
>
> Google maps can draw, apparently, only an origin and a destination.

No, it can do more than that, e.g.

<https://google.com/maps/dir/london/paris/berlin/rome>

Herbert Kleebauer

Mar 24, 2023, 6:13:16 AM3/24/23

VanguardLH

Mar 24, 2023, 7:21:23 AM3/24/23
"Carlos E. R." <robin_...@es.invalid> wrote:

> Google maps can draw, apparently, only an origin and a destination.

There is an "Add destination" button (has a "+" icon). If you want the
way points in a different order, drag a destination using its icon at
its left. That is when using a desktop web browser.

When using the Google Maps app on a mobile device, tap on the 3-dot menu
icon to the right of a destination, and tap on Add Stop. To rearrange,
drag the handle icon at the left of a destination.

Carlos E. R.

Mar 24, 2023, 8:32:42 AM3/24/23
Ohhhh...! I didn't see that, thanks :-)

--
Cheers,
Carlos E.R.

Carlos E. R.

Mar 24, 2023, 9:07:38 AM3/24/23
LOL. Google says that the route is out of their coverage.

Chongqing → Zhengzhou → Incheon.

OpenStreet map seems to only accept two points.

<https://www.openstreetmap.org/directions?engine=fossgis_osrm_car&route=29.565%2C106.548%3B34.749%2C113.619#map=4/33.36/118.17>

--
Cheers,
Carlos E.R.

Andy Burns

Mar 24, 2023, 9:19:58 AM3/24/23
Carlos E. R. wrote:

> LOL. Google says that the route is out of their coverage.

It'll drive between the two Chinese cities, but it wants to fly from
China to S.Korea

> Chongqing → Zhengzhou → Incheon.

Carlos E. R.

Mar 24, 2023, 9:30:06 AM3/24/23
On 2023-03-24 14:19, Andy Burns wrote:
> Carlos E. R. wrote:
>

>> LOL. Google says that the route is out of their coverage.
>
> It'll drive between the two Chinese cities, but it wants to fly from
> China to S.Korea

Yep. It can not make a plan using different transport systems.

To me, even a straight line would be good. Or a suggestion of
possibilities. It doesn't really matter, this is just for enjoyment.

--
Cheers,
Carlos E.R.

Andy Burnelli

Mar 24, 2023, 10:53:50 AM3/24/23
Carlos E. R. wrote:

> I seek a web that, given a list of waypoints (cities) draws a route from
> the first to the last.

Hi Carlos,
This answer isn't a direct answer - but it could directly answer it
depending on the power of the web & Windows applications listed below.

You apparently need a route that is for vehicles, but for you perhaps
(and certainly for others), the base capability of "drawing a route
on Windows", "saving to your phone" & then "routing" does exist
(but note the caveat that I'm hiking and you are likely driving).

Mostly I use caltopo to draw a route I download to my phone to route...
but (and this is a biggie), what I use it for is to draw a route on a
*topographical* map & save to my phone so that I can follow that map
(and this is another biggie) by routing on foot.
<https://caltopo.com/map.html#ll=37.9442,16.61133&z=5&b=mbt>
<https://ngmdb.usgs.gov/topoview/viewer/#4/40.01/-100.06>
Those web sites are so powerful, I wouldn't doubt if they actually do
road routing also, given a few waypoints, but you'd have to check.

Generally I load gpx results into a "visual routing" Android app,
although I wrote a tutorial a while ago on "verbal routing" apps.
Avenza: <https://www.avenzamaps.com/maps/how-it-works.html>
PaperMaps: <https://www.paper-maps.com/>

There is also excellent Windows software that draws routes, but again,
I've never tested any of them outside backcountry hiking in the USA.

Google Earth (which does fantastic topographical routing if you know how!)
<https://www.google.com/earth/about/versions/#download-pro>
<https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.google.earth>

QGIS
<https://qgis.org/en/site/forusers/download.html>

GDal
<http://download.osgeo.org/osgeo4w/v2/osgeo4w-setup.exe>

GPS Babel
<https://www.gpsbabel.org/download.html>

Added sci.geo.satellite-nav
--
Posted out of the goodness of my heart to disseminate useful information
which, in this case, is to faithfully add value for Windows mapping apps.

Andy Burns

Mar 24, 2023, 11:17:35 AM3/24/23
Carlos E. R. wrote:

> To me, even a straight line would be good. Or a suggestion of
> possibilities. It doesn't really matter, this is just for enjoyment.

You can create your own map at <https://mymaps.google.com>

type a city name, it'll drop a pushpin

add lines, click and drag them, it seems to turn them into great circle
routes, e.g.

<https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?mid=1fU18uwjnkHIwGMM4t4FLiW8AhXefSDA&ll=29.588703817370344%2C61.500708&z=4>

Carlos E. R.

Mar 24, 2023, 12:21:55 PM3/24/23
Hey! That's just the thing :-)

Creation wants one to login first, though. Will try later.

--
Cheers,
Carlos E.R.

micky

Mar 24, 2023, 7:24:13 PM3/24/23
In alt.comp.os.windows-10, on Fri, 24 Mar 2023 14:30:00 +0100, "Carlos
E. R." <robin_...@es.invalid> wrote:

>On 2023-03-24 14:19, Andy Burns wrote:
>> Carlos E. R. wrote:
>>

>>> LOL. Google says that the route is out of their coverage.
>>
>> It'll drive between the two Chinese cities, but it wants to fly from
>> China to S.Korea
>
>Yep. It can not make a plan using different transport systems.
>
>To me, even a straight line would be good.

In google maps, right click on spot, then bottom choice is Meeasure
Distance, and then consecutive spots. It makes lines and adds up
distances.

Frank Slootweg

Mar 25, 2023, 11:03:55 AM3/25/23
Carlos E. R. <robin_...@es.invalid> wrote:
> On 2023-03-24 14:19, Andy Burns wrote:
> > Carlos E. R. wrote:
> >

> >> LOL. Google says that the route is out of their coverage.
> >
> > It'll drive between the two Chinese cities, but it wants to fly from
> > China to S.Korea
>
> Yep. It can not make a plan using different transport systems.

It seems you already have a solution (the map creation method given by
Andy), but if not, just switch to Walking and enable <deity> mode.

[...]

Fritz Wuehler

Mar 25, 2023, 12:00:26 PM3/25/23
Carlos E. R. <robin_lis...@es.invalid> [CER]:
CER> I seek a web that, given a list of waypoints (cities) draws a
CER> route from the first to the last.

mapcustomizer.com will happily put a list of addresses/coordinate pairs
on a map.

Either enter the cities manually, or click the "Bulk entry" button.
In the latter case, your data should be in the

free text address {free text description}
latitude,longitude {free text description}

format, like the following sample:

El Paso, TX USA {El Paso...}
26.15211,-81.77495 {point01 APF}
26.38060,-80.10990 {point02 BCT}
29.18321,-81.05323 {point03 DAB}
30.35782,-85.79380 {point04 ECP}
24.55492,-81.75649 {point05 EYW}
26.84881,-80.22368 {point06 F45}
26.07423,-80.15060 {point07 FLL}
29.68659,-82.27787 {point08 GNV}
28.29074,-81.43736 {point09 ISM}
30.49407,-81.68794 {point10 JAX}

Bill W

Mar 25, 2023, 12:06:32 PM3/25/23
On Mar 24, 2023, Andy Burnelli wrote (in article
Do they work in countries outside the us map app hegemony?

Carlos E.R.

Mar 25, 2023, 3:47:46 PM3/25/23
The map posted by Andy Burns is very good. The caveat is that it
requires one to login to create one.

The method posted by micky is also interesting, but I haven't got around
to testing it yet.

The method posted by Fritz Wuehler is nice and easy, but it just marks
the cities (1, 2, 3, 4), does not join them with lines, unless I am
missing some option somewhere.

It is using openstreet map, which seems to print the city names in the
language and script of the place, which is not readable to me. Maybe,
again, that is some option somewhere.

All good. Now I must go out to catch some dinner in the supermarket :-)

--
Cheers, Carlos.

micky

Mar 25, 2023, 5:12:47 PM3/25/23
In alt.comp.os.windows-10, on Sat, 25 Mar 2023 20:44:43 +0100, "Carlos
E.R." <robin_...@es.invalid> wrote:

>On 2023-03-25 16:03, Frank Slootweg wrote:
>> Carlos E. R. <robin_...@es.invalid> wrote:

>>> Yep. It can not make a plan using different transport systems.
>>
>> It seems you already have a solution (the map creation method given by
>> Andy), but if not, just switch to Walking and enable <deity> mode.
>>
>> [...]
>
>The map posted by Andy Burns is very good. The caveat is that it
>requires one to login to create one.
>
>The method posted by micky is also interesting, but I haven't got around
>to testing it yet.

Of course you don't have to go simply starting to ending place. If the
highway doglegs or zigzags, you can put in as many segments as you want.

I've used it a lot in town, like to see how far it was for my father
when he walked to work, choosing the route he would have taken.

>The method posted by Fritz Wuehler is nice and easy, but it just marks
>the cities (1, 2, 3, 4), does not join them with lines, unless I am
>missing some option somewhere.
>
>It is using openstreet map, which seems to print the city names in the
>language and script of the place, which is not readable to me. Maybe,

You don't read Chinese? And yet you shop there. How imperialistic!

Carlos E.R.

Mar 25, 2023, 5:52:40 PM3/25/23
On 2023-03-25 22:12, micky wrote:
> In alt.comp.os.windows-10, on Sat, 25 Mar 2023 20:44:43 +0100, "Carlos
> E.R." <robin_...@es.invalid> wrote:

>>> It seems you already have a solution (the map creation method given by
>>> Andy), but if not, just switch to Walking and enable <deity> mode.
>>>
>>> [...]
>>
>> The map posted by Andy Burns is very good. The caveat is that it
>> requires one to login to create one.
>>
>> The method posted by micky is also interesting, but I haven't got around
>> to testing it yet.
>
> Of course you don't have to go simply starting to ending place. If the
> highway doglegs or zigzags, you can put in as many segments as you want.
>
> I've used it a lot in town, like to see how far it was for my father
> when he walked to work, choosing the route he would have taken.

Oh, but I have no idea of the actual route. This is a laptop shipped
from China to me, and I got an URL that lists where it gets to and
departs from. So, I'm just curious to see the cities in a world map and
approximate distances. It is just for my entertainment.

>> The method posted by Fritz Wuehler is nice and easy, but it just marks
>> the cities (1, 2, 3, 4), does not join them with lines, unless I am
>> missing some option somewhere.
>>
>> It is using openstreet map, which seems to print the city names in the
>> language and script of the place, which is not readable to me. Maybe,
>
> You don't read Chinese? And yet you shop there. How imperialistic!

:-D

The Lenovo web page is fully in Spanish, and really good quality
Spanish. No hint of them being Chinese. Actually, I thought the
customization would be done locally.

--
Cheers, Carlos.