Apple is killing the charging plug on its highest-end phones by 2021, top analyst predicts

Arlen Holder

Dec 5, 2019, 2:51:31 PM12/5/19
Dateline today, an hour ago...

I haven't yet seen a more reliable report of this rumor, but the copycat
news is abuzz with these perhaps less-than-reliable reports, none of which
quote the noted analyst directly.

Here's one:
o Apple is killing the charging plug on its highest-end phones by 2021, top
analyst predicts
<https://www.cnbc.com/2019/12/05/apple-is-killing-lightning-connector-on-top-iphones-by-2021-kuo-says.html>

Take it as an unsubstantiated rumor at this point in time.

--
Seems to me to be a decidedly customer unfriendly way to avoid USB C.

JF Mezei

Dec 6, 2019, 4:52:24 AM12/6/19
On 2019-12-05 14:51, Arlen Holder wrote:

> o Apple is killing the charging plug on its highest-end phones by 2021, top
> analyst predicts

Found the concept of the SE2 being delayed to 2021 dubious.

Eliminating the physical port would require Apple bundle with the phone:
-Air Pods
-wireless charging station.

This will raise the price of iPhone well above acceptable price levels.
And unable to "unbrick" the phone if a software update fails, or if you
cannot connect via Wi-Fi.

I would think that the "no thunderbolt" leak is likely a move to USB-C
plug.

Consider also that after the phones are built, they often go through a
software update just before they are first shipped (since IOS version
had not been made final by the time the phones were built). Without a
port to do DFU, it becomes rather hard to load software from a blank phone.

Arlen Holder

Dec 6, 2019, 9:54:53 AM12/6/19
On Fri, 6 Dec 2019 04:52:23 -0500, JF Mezei wrote:

> Found the concept of the SE2 being delayed to 2021 dubious.
>
> Eliminating the physical port would require Apple bundle with the phone:
> -Air Pods
> -wireless charging station.
>
> This will raise the price of iPhone well above acceptable price levels.
> And unable to "unbrick" the phone if a software update fails, or if you
> cannot connect via Wi-Fi.
>
> I would think that the "no thunderbolt" leak is likely a move to USB-C
> plug.
>
> Consider also that after the phones are built, they often go through a
> software update just before they are first shipped (since IOS version
> had not been made final by the time the phones were built). Without a
> port to do DFU, it becomes rather hard to load software from a blank phone.

Hi JF Mezei,
Since you're not an apologist, an entirely normal conversation can be had.
o Given Apple Marketing is brilliant - I wouldn't put anything past them.

However, as you noted, some rumors come true; others don't..
o Even when supposedly from the mouth of the esteemed & venerable Kuo.

So we have to just keep this new rumor in mind for the next few years.

Personally, I think Apple may be in a quandary around what to do regarding
USB-C, but I don't keep up with USB-C since my very first USB-C device was
only earlier this week when I bought some $100 Moto G7's on sale, which
come with a USB-C cable (& companion 15-watt (3 amp) "turbo chargers").
<https://www.amazon.com/Motorola-SPN5970A-TurboPower-Charger-Retail/dp/B078JGHLKJ>

I agree with you that there will be very real cons to losing the physical
port, if that indeed happens, where I can just imagine all the "innovative
charging solutions" and "proprietary data transfer solutions" Apple can
then sell to the hapless (but admittedly extremely loyal) iPhone customer.

Time will tell, where what worries me most about these ingenious Apple
marketing tricks have a way of spilling over into the Android world because
EVERYONE would LOVE to have the PROFIT MARGINS that Apple enjoys, IMHO
mainly due to the removal of tried and true inexpensive functionality in
favor of brand new and often proprietary but always expensive replacements.

Let's all keep abreast of the status of the charge/data port on iPhones.

--
Never forget Apple's strength is brilliant MARKETING to loyal consumers.

Rod Speed

Dec 6, 2019, 8:36:05 PM12/6/19
JF Mezei <jfmezei...@vaxination.ca> wrote
> Arlen Holder wrote

>> Apple is killing the charging plug on its highest-
>> end phones by 2021, top analyst predicts

> Found the concept of the SE2 being delayed to 2021 dubious.

> Eliminating the physical port would require Apple bundle
> with the phone:-Air Pods -wireless charging station.

But it wouldn’t cost Apple a lot to do that.

> This will raise the price of iPhone well above acceptable price levels.

Don’t buy that claim.

> And unable to "unbrick" the phone if a software
> update fails, or if you cannot connect via Wi-Fi.

But trivial to have another way of unbricking.

> I would think that the "no thunderbolt"
> leak is likely a move to USB-C plug.

Maybe. That has real waterproofing downsides and Apple
is clearly improving the water proofing for obvious reasons.

> Consider also that after the phones are built, they often go through a
> software update just before they are first shipped (since IOS version
> had not been made final by the time the phones were built). Without
> a port to do DFU, it becomes rather hard to load software from a blank
> phone.

Oh bullshit. That’s trivially fixable.

Savageduck

Dec 6, 2019, 9:43:59 PM12/6/19
On Dec 6, 2019, Rod Speed wrote
(in article <h50e01...@mid.individual.net>):

> JF Mezei<jfmezei...@vaxination.ca> wrote
> > Arlen Holder wrote
>
> > > Apple is killing the charging plug on its highest-
> > > end phones by 2021, top analyst predicts
>
> > Found the concept of the SE2 being delayed to 2021 dubious.
>
> > Eliminating the physical port would require Apple bundle
> > with the phone:-Air Pods -wireless charging station.
>
> But it wouldn’t cost Apple a lot to do that.

Not having a means of plugging in a charger hasn’t been a problem for the
Apple Watch, and Watch OS & software updates seem to be possible without
that plug. So I see no reason why what Apple have developed for the Watch
cannot be passed on to future iPhones.

--
Regards,
Savageduck

Rod Speed

Dec 6, 2019, 10:42:29 PM12/6/19

Yeah, I agree, JF is completely off with the fairys, as usual.

nospam

Dec 7, 2019, 7:55:23 AM12/7/19
In article <0001HW.239B496901...@news.giganews.com>,

> Not having a means of plugging in a charger hasnšt been a problem for the
> Apple Watch, and Watch OS & software updates seem to be possible without
> that plug. So I see no reason why what Apple have developed for the Watch
> cannot be passed on to future iPhones.

the apple watch has a hidden diagnostic port, which is used by apple
repair technicians if it's bricked or otherwise needs direct access.

an iphone w/o a lightning port would need something similar, unless
they can implement dfu wirelessly.

Savageduck

Dec 7, 2019, 8:02:50 AM12/7/19
On Dec 7, 2019, nospam wrote
(in article<071220190755221976%nos...@nospam.invalid>):

> In article<0001HW.239B496901...@news.giganews.com>,
> Savageduck <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> wrote:
>

> > Not having a means of plugging in a charger hasn¹t been a problem for the
> > Apple Watch, and Watch OS & software updates seem to be possible without
> > that plug. So I see no reason why what Apple have developed for the Watch
> > cannot be passed on to future iPhones.
>
> the apple watch has a hidden diagnostic port, which is used by apple
> repair technicians if it's bricked or otherwise needs direct access.

So nothing an ignorant user need concern themselves with?

I know I haven’t been inspecting my Apple Watch in search of a cunningly
hidden diagnostic port which once discovered, I wouldn’t have a clue what I
should do with it.

> an iphone w/o a lightning port would need something similar, unless
> they can implement dfu wirelessly.

--
Regards,
Savageduck

nospam

Dec 7, 2019, 8:12:32 AM12/7/19
In article <0001HW.239BDA7502...@news.giganews.com>,

> > > Not having a means of plugging in a charger hasn1t been a problem for the
> > > Apple Watch, and Watch OS & software updates seem to be possible without
> > > that plug. So I see no reason why what Apple have developed for the Watch
> > > cannot be passed on to future iPhones.
> >
> > the apple watch has a hidden diagnostic port, which is used by apple
> > repair technicians if it's bricked or otherwise needs direct access.
>
> So nothing an ignorant user need concern themselves with?

very, very few people dfu their own devices.

> I know I havenšt been inspecting my Apple Watch in search of a cunningly
> hidden diagnostic port which once discovered, I wouldnšt have a clue what I
> should do with it.

you wouldn't be able to do much since you lack the necessary connector.

but should you decide otherwise:
<https://www.idownloadblog.com/2017/07/03/how-to-dfu-mode-apple-watch/>
<https://www.reddit.com/r/AppleWatch/comments/bk1gyg/im_building_a_apple
_watch_series_3_diagnostic_tool/>

sms

Dec 7, 2019, 10:44:13 AM12/7/19
On 12/6/2019 6:43 PM, Savageduck wrote:

<snip>

> Not having a means of plugging in a charger hasn’t been a problem for the
> Apple Watch, and Watch OS & software updates seem to be possible without
> that plug. So I see no reason why what Apple have developed for the Watch
> cannot be passed on to future iPhones.

While everyone agrees that wireless charging offers multiple benefits, I
think that having wireless chargers in every vehicle, every airplane,
etc. is a lot more unlikely than providing a USB charging port.

sms

Dec 7, 2019, 10:53:31 AM12/7/19
On 12/7/2019 5:02 AM, Savageduck wrote:

<snip>

> I know I haven’t been inspecting my Apple Watch in search of a cunningly
> hidden diagnostic port which once discovered, I wouldn’t have a clue what I
> should do with it.

The iBus connector is hidden but not hard to find. Up to the Series 2
you could buy an adapter to connect to the diagnostic port though
there's not much it would do for you without the software that only
Apple technicians have access to.

Savageduck

Dec 7, 2019, 11:19:44 AM12/7/19
On Dec 7, 2019, sms wrote
(in article <qsghca$v4$1...@dont-email.me>):
Providing wireless charging in aircraft, does seem to be an issue which would
have to be addressed in some way. That said a wireless magnetic connector to
USB cable such as that provided for the Apple Watch, but developed for a
future iPhone might be worth considering. A large wireless charging pad would
not be necessary.

--
Regards,
Savageduck

Savageduck

Dec 7, 2019, 11:19:44 AM12/7/19
On Dec 7, 2019, sms wrote
(in article <qsghtq$7d8$1...@dont-email.me>):
One has to know one’s limitations, and even though I have an idea of the
location of the port, I have no intention of conducting any DIY maintenence
on my Apple Watch.

--
Regards,
Savageduck

nospam

Dec 7, 2019, 11:25:48 AM12/7/19
In article <qsghca$v4$1...@dont-email.me>, sms <scharf...@geemail.com>
wrote:

> > Not having a means of plugging in a charger hasnšt been a problem for the
> > Apple Watch, and Watch OS & software updates seem to be possible without
> > that plug. So I see no reason why what Apple have developed for the Watch
> > cannot be passed on to future iPhones.
>
> While everyone agrees that wireless charging offers multiple benefits,

no, definitely not everyone.

as with everything, there are both advantages and disadvantages for
wireless charging. for some people it's useful and for others it's not.

wireless charging also reduces the lifetime of the battery due to heat,
which is a big concern for many.

> I think that having wireless chargers in every vehicle, every airplane,
> etc. is a lot more unlikely than providing a USB charging port.

straw man.

there is absolutely no need to have wireless chargers in every vehicle,
plane, bus, etc.

nospam

Dec 7, 2019, 11:25:50 AM12/7/19
In article <qsghtq$7d8$1...@dont-email.me>, sms
<scharf...@geemail.com> wrote:

> > I know I havenšt been inspecting my Apple Watch in search of a cunningly
> > hidden diagnostic port which once discovered, I wouldnšt have a clue what I
> > should do with it.
>
> The iBus connector is hidden but not hard to find. Up to the Series 2
> you could buy an adapter to connect to the diagnostic port though
> there's not much it would do for you without the software that only
> Apple technicians have access to.

also series 3 and later, and the software can be found if one knows
where to look.

Arlen Holder

Dec 7, 2019, 11:52:32 AM12/7/19
On Sat, 07 Dec 2019 11:25:47 -0500, nospam wrote:

> there is absolutely no need to have wireless chargers in every vehicle,
> plane, bus, etc.

Adults can do two things apologists don't seem to be able to do:
a. Adults comprehend facts
b. Adults form reasonable defensible logical assessments of those facts.

While "every vehicle" is far too inclusive, I would suspect that the vast
majority of US private automobile owners today have at least one (often
more) USB port in their daily driver, which is pretty much "almost
everyone" in the USA that
a. Drives a car daily, and,
b. Owns a cellphone.

*One interesting sidenote none of you seem to have caught is that this*
*proposed change is only for the highest-end iPhones, which is a hint of*
*very expensive proprietary "solutions" to come...*

How we assess that hint is up to our factual interpretation skills; but
based on Apple's infamously "courageous" decidedly customer unfriendly
history of summarily removing basic and inexpensive non-proprietary
functionality in favor of astronomically expensive technology - any logical
adult can _predict_ what Apple will provide by way of replacement.

HINT: Over 99% of current Android phones have a basic headphone jack!
o How many of the existing Android phones lack headphone jack basic hardware functionality?
o<https://groups.google.com/d/msg/comp.mobile.android/ZjnD2kAf-mI/I3i2jT-mCAAJ>

Prediction?
o Every astronomically expensive iPhone owner will need _more_ expensive
chargers, which work in a vehicle, on a plane, at work, at the library, in
schools, etc.

Just wait and see... :)

NOTE: Apple can't even get something as simple as wireless charging to work
today, so the chance they'll ever make a best-in-class solution is
fleetingly vanishingly small - but the aftermarket will rescue the poor
hapless (but admittedly loyal) Apple customer base.

--
Apple's decidedly customer unfriendly "courageous" history of summarily
removing basic functionality in favor of expensive fragile replacements

nospam

Dec 7, 2019, 12:06:43 PM12/7/19
In article <qsglcf$h97$1...@news.mixmin.net>, Arlen Holder
<arlen.geo...@is.invalid> wrote:

> Prediction?
> o Every astronomically expensive iPhone owner will need _more_ expensive
> chargers, which work in a vehicle, on a plane, at work, at the library, in
> schools, etc.
>
> Just wait and see... :)

just wait and see that you're *already* wrong, given that iphones use
industry standard qi wireless charging.

> NOTE: Apple can't even get something as simple as wireless charging to work
> today, so the chance they'll ever make a best-in-class solution is
> fleetingly vanishingly small - but the aftermarket will rescue the poor
> hapless (but admittedly loyal) Apple customer base.

nonsense. it works quite well.

sms

Dec 7, 2019, 12:47:01 PM12/7/19
The trend is to higher wattage wireless charging. Huawei is already at
27 watts. Unfortunately, coil size is proportional to wattage.

nospam

Dec 7, 2019, 12:56:41 PM12/7/19
In article <qsgoik$gr7$1...@dont-email.me>, sms
<scharf...@geemail.com> wrote:

> The trend is to higher wattage wireless charging. Huawei is already at
> 27 watts. Unfortunately, coil size is proportional to wattage.

not a trend, and has numerous disadvantages, namely heat.

Arlen Holder

Dec 7, 2019, 1:44:38 PM12/7/19
On Sat, 07 Dec 2019 12:06:42 -0500, nospam wrote:

> nonsense. it works quite well.

Hi nospam,

I don't think Apple makes choices that are for the benefit of the consumer,
but for their overall bottom line, which, every company makes, of course.

However, Apple's decisions are decidedly customer unfriendly.
o Witness Apple's decision to secretly halve CPU speeds
O Witness Apple's decision to remove headphone jacks
o Witness Apple's decision to not include sd card slots
etc.

Apple is one of the most profitable companies in the world, simply because
Apple has one of the finest marketing organizations on the planet (IMHO).

Years ago, I wondered why the Apple consumer was so gullible, where I've
learned, since then, that the Apple consumer _believes_ in the imaginary
functionality that Apple Marketing pushes (e.g., imaginary privacy).

Moving forward, if Kuo's prediction turns out to be true, the most
expensive iPhones will no longer have charging ports - which means that
charging will need to be accomplished by some other manner (along with data
transfer).

That means virtually every daily drive in the US will need some kind of
equipment to enable charging sans a cable - which - of course - means more
expensive solutions than what is today, a five dollar cable.

Does the hapless Apple consumer benefit?
o Time will tell; but almost never does Apple decide in favor of the consumer.

Witness the fact that today, over 99% of Android phones have a headphone
jack, which all the new iPhones lack.

If people didn't benefit from that headphone jack, it wouldn't be on over
99% of the Android phones, and, to be clear, it's on my brand new $100 Moto
G7 Android phone, which I would not have bought had it NOT had that jack.

nospam

Dec 7, 2019, 2:38:14 PM12/7/19
In article <qsgrul$tss$1...@news.mixmin.net>, Arlen Holder
<arlen.geo...@is.invalid> wrote:

> I don't think Apple makes choices that are for the benefit of the consumer,

they do, one major reason why apple products are so popular.

Arlen Holder

Dec 7, 2019, 5:54:44 PM12/7/19
On 7 Dec 2019 20:15:58 GMT, Jolly Roger wrote:

> On 2019-12-07, nospam <nos...@nospam.invalid> wrote:
>>
>> they do, one major reason why apple products are so popular.
>
> It's also why Apple has consistently topped customer satisfaction
> charts for literal decades.

Adult question of Jolly Roger...

Name just one reliable study from where you get your data, Jolly Roger.
o Name just one.

Show us a cite, Jolly Roger, and NOT from a phone OEM either!
o Name just one

What's interesting is that Jolly Roger actually believes everything that
Apple Marketing has fed him to believe - most of which is imaginary
functionality.

Even down to the imaginary customer satisfaction Apple Marketing fed Jolly
Roger to believe!

While customer satisfaction is depended on the QUESTIONS being asked of the
specific CUSTOMER segment, just look at this first hit of customer
satisfaction of mobile phones, where Apple is below Samsung, for example:
o American Customer Satisfaction Index
<https://www.theacsi.org/industries/manufacturing/cell-phone>

Knowing full well that any marketing-driven so-called survey is going to be
bullshit, I'd like to see where Jolly Roger obtains his imaginary
information from.
o Name just one reliable study showing Apple above, oh, say, Samsung

Name just one.

Show me a valid statistic that is NOT from an OEM, that shows Apple
customer satisfaction is NOT below Android, Jolly Roger.
o Name just one

Note: The study must be reliable and NOT an OEM Marketing shill.
o Name just one

--
HINT: People line up outside an Apple store often because they can't wait
to _ditch_ their old iPhones, as the first opportunity they can get!

nospam

Dec 7, 2019, 6:43:41 PM12/7/19
In article <qshajj$spt$1...@news.mixmin.net>, Arlen Holder
<arlen.geo...@is.invalid> wrote:

> >> they do, one major reason why apple products are so popular.
> >
> > It's also why Apple has consistently topped customer satisfaction
> > charts for literal decades.
>
> Adult question of Jolly Roger...
>
> Name just one reliable study from where you get your data, Jolly Roger.
> o Name just one.

<https://www.macrumors.com/2019/09/24/apple-acsi-2019-customer-satisfact
ion/>
Apple's Macs and iPads had the highest customer satisfaction score
among PC and tablet makers in 2019, according to new data released
today by the American Customer Satisfaction Index.

In the 2019 Household Appliance and Electronics Report, Apple earned
an ACSI score of 83, the same score that it had in 2018. Apple's
overall satisfaction score was higher than scores from Samsung (81),
Amazon (79), HP (78), Acer (77), and others.

<https://www.computerworld.com/article/2492538/apple-keeps-top-spot-in-c
ustomer-satisfaction.html>
Apple retained the top spot in a survey released Tuesday by the
American Consumer Satisfaction Index, which also found that the
tablet market is spurring PC makers to improve the quality of their
products.

<https://marketrealist.com/2017/06/apples-iphones-top-acsis-customer-sat
isfaction-index/>
According to an ACSI survey, Apple零 (AAPL) iPhone SE and iPhone 7
are the highest-rated smartphones in terms of customer satisfaction
over the last year in the United States (SPY). ACSI polled over 36,000
customers between May 2016 and April 2017.

apple has 3 out of the top 5, including #1:
<https://photos5.appleinsider.com/gallery/26149-36762-asci-survey-iphone-
l.jpg>

also the most reliable:
<https://www.consumerreports.org/laptops/laptop-reliability-by-year/>
Apple laptops are the most reliable brand out there, and by quite
a margin, according to our latest survey of 58,000 subscribers who
purchased laptops between 2010 and 2015.

<https://fortune.com/2018/03/12/apple-macbooks-most-reliable/>
Apple has earned an A+ grade for reliability in the latest Rescuecom
computer reliability report. According to computer repair company
Rescuecom, Apple零 machines represent just 3.2% of all repairs it
makes. That low number, coupled with the company零 millions of
Macs sold per year, translates to low failure rates and the high
reliability grade. Samsung and Lenovo landed in second and third
place with grades of A- and B+, respectively.

Arlen Holder

Dec 8, 2019, 12:15:45 AM12/8/19
On Sat, 07 Dec 2019 18:43:39 -0500, nospam wrote:

Hi nospam,
Bear in mind exactly what Jolly Roger said, which was:
"It's also why Apple has consistently topped customer
satisfaction charts for literal decades."

You first have to understand there are tons of misconceptions that Apple
morons like Jolly Roger own, such as, oh, off the cuff...
o Apple has more functional apps
o Apple is more private or secure
o Apple has lower total costs of ownership
etc.

All of which are bullshit when you look at facts like an adult should.
o Jolly Roger is an utter moron, so this isn't worth a lot of our time.

I was just pointing out that Jolly Roger was dead wrong where to prove it I
only ran one quick search, which, predictably, showed that Jolly Roger's
statement is patently false, since the result I posted from the same people
you posted showed Jolly Rogers statement, if taken literally, to be false
(Samsung had better customer satisfaction than Apple by ACSI).
o American Customer Satisfaction Index
<https://www.theacsi.org/industries/manufacturing/cell-phone>

My main point was that gullible people who are unduly influenced by the
imaginary functionality spewed by Apple Marketing firmly believe in the
bullshit that is fed to them by Apple Marketing such that Jolly Roger makes
claims he can't back up.

I disproved Jolly Roger's claim in a simple single google search.

Just as with the "camera" QOR, what people _think_ about Apple is what
Apple marketing (cleverly) feeds them to believe; but it isn't always true.

Having said that, I don't doubt that Apple customers are some of the most
satisfied and loyal bunch, and yet, they're also easily shown to be
clueless since they only seem to spout what marketing feeds them to
believe.

I'll read your URLs separately and comment on them if necessary, but my
point was that Jolly Roger was wrong. You can find times when Apple is on
top and you can find times when they're not (which was my point).

Just like with the camera QOR (where Apple is almost never number one, but
sometimes they are, for a brief period of time).
<https://www.dxomark.com/category/smartphone-reviews/>

I was simply proving Jolly Roger's statement to be patently false.
o Where I knew he could never prove his statement since it was dead wrong.

--
Apple consumers appear, to me, to be far more clueless than Android owners.

Arlen Holder

Dec 8, 2019, 12:47:20 AM12/8/19
On Sat, 07 Dec 2019 18:43:39 -0500, nospam wrote:

> <https://www.macrumors.com/2019/09/24/apple-acsi-2019-customer-satisfact
> ion/>
> Apple's Macs and iPads had the highest customer satisfaction score
> among PC and tablet makers in 2019, according to new data released
> today by the American Customer Satisfaction Index.

OK. Unlike Alan Baker, I actually _read_ the links you provided.

*Why do you post links that are meaningless in terms of the context?*
o I don't know why.

I think, perhaps, you apologists are not used to people actually _reading_
the links you post, none of which prove your point, and most of which were
not even remotely close to the topic at hand.

You apologists must not be used to dealing with adults, nospam.
o *Stop trying to bullshit us, nospam*...

That first link is not smartphones; it's household appliances
o Which includes laptops, desktops, and tablets

o Macrumors "Household & Appliance" customer satisfaction survey
<https://www.macrumors.com/2019/09/24/apple-acsi-2019-customer-satisfaction/>

"Apple's overall satisfaction score was higher than scores from
Samsung (81), Amazon (79), HP (78), Acer (77), and others. "

WTF? Amazon? Acer? HP? (These aren't smartphones!)

*Stop the bullshit, nospam. Just stop it.*
o Your bullshit works with apologist morons - but it won't work on adults.

> <https://www.computerworld.com/article/2492538/apple-keeps-top-spot-in-c
> ustomer-satisfaction.html>
> Apple retained the top spot in a survey released Tuesday by the
> American Consumer Satisfaction Index, which also found that the
> tablet market is spurring PC makers to improve the quality of their
> products.

You must not be used to dealing with cognitive adults, nospam.
o *Stop trying to bullshit us*.

Just stop.

This is the same bullshit as above, which includes computers & tablets, but
apparently not smartphones, but even if it did include smartphones, it's
not only smartphones, which is what I was discussing.

> <https://marketrealist.com/2017/06/apples-iphones-top-acsis-customer-sat
> isfaction-index/>
> According to an ACSI survey, Apple零 (AAPL) iPhone SE and iPhone 7
> are the highest-rated smartphones in terms of customer satisfaction
> over the last year in the United States (SPY). ACSI polled over 36,000
> customers between May 2016 and April 2017.

Finally, you provide a link, similar to what I had provided, which was
about "customer satisfaction" and "cell phones" (which is the topic):
<https://marketrealist.com/2017/06/apples-iphones-top-acsis-customer-satisfaction-index/>

In your survey, the Apple iPhone Se was 87 and the Samsung S6 edge+ was 86,
whereas in the previous years of the same survey I quoted, the Samsung
Galaxy Note 9 was 86 while the Apple iPhone X was 83.

Which is my point that easily disproved the bullshit Jolly Roger spewed...

> apple has 3 out of the top 5, including #1:
> <https://photos5.appleinsider.com/gallery/26149-36762-asci-survey-iphone-
> l.jpg>

I found that exact same image in this article (it may be in others also):
o Study says iPhone X satisfaction rating is lower than other iPhones and several Android phones
<https://bgr.com/2018/05/23/iphone-x-vs-iphone-8-customer-satisfaction-winner/>

Note that the "customer satisfaction" varies across models even within
brands such as Apple & Samsung, and that it fluctuates year to year, which
was my point in that sometimes Samsung is higher than Apple, and sometimes
not.

> also the most reliable:
> <https://www.consumerreports.org/laptops/laptop-reliability-by-year/>
> Apple laptops are the most reliable brand out there, and by quite
> a margin, according to our latest survey of 58,000 subscribers who
> purchased laptops between 2010 and 2015.

Stop with the bullshit, nospam.
o Just stop it.

We are talking "customer satisfaction" of "cell phones"
o That article is "reliability" of "laptops" (completely different).

> <https://fortune.com/2018/03/12/apple-macbooks-most-reliable/>
> Apple has earned an A+ grade for reliability in the latest Rescuecom
> computer reliability report. According to computer repair company
> Rescuecom, Apple零 machines represent just 3.2% of all repairs it
> makes. That low number, coupled with the company零 millions of
> Macs sold per year, translates to low failure rates and the high
> reliability grade. Samsung and Lenovo landed in second and third
> place with grades of A- and B+, respectively.

More bullshit from you nospam.
o What is wrong with you apologists that you can't comprehend the topic?

Why do you post links that are meaningless in terms of the context?
o I don't know why.

I think, perhaps, you apologists are not used to people actually _reading_
the links you post, none of which prove your point, and most of which were
not even remotely close to the topic at hand.

--
Apologists don't seem to have experience reasoning with actual adults.

Arlen Holder

Dec 8, 2019, 4:00:40 PM12/8/19
The news today gives us a good hint as to WHY Apple would ditch something
so useful which is on 100% of all phones today.

It's said to be merely another gimmick to "differentiate" expensive iPhones!
o Never forget Apple Marketing is brilliant at fooling the gullible!

o Apple may be ditching the lightning charging cable for some iPhones by 2021, analyst says
<https://www.cnn.com/2019/12/08/tech/apple-iphone-lightning-cable/index.html>
"The company will instead opt for a completely wireless device
as it aims to *better differentiate the more expensive iPhone models*,
Kuo said."

Notice also that it improves Apple's bottom line directly!
"That means getting rid of the lightning cable would make for an
entirely wireless iPhone. At the very least, such a move would
help AirPods sales, after Apple announced a premium version of
the wireless headphones this year."

More and more, the answer as to "why" is becoming clear to adults...
o It's likely yet another decidedly customer unfriendly marketing gimmick.

--
Bringing facts & sensible logic to Apple newsgroups, one fact at a time.