Percent of Life dealing with Insulinitis (Islit)?

Pro-Humanist FREELOVER

Jun 30, 2019, 5:59:15 PM6/30/19

- - -

Insulinitis (Islit), new superior clarifying
name & abbreviation for near-total to total
loss of endogenous insulin, 13 specific types
are rapid onset, 1 specific type with the
new superior clarifying name of Latent Auto-
immune Islit is slow onset.

- - -

Upon reading the following quote in an arti-
cle this morning, it got me thinking, what
percent of my life has involved dealing with
having Insulinitis (Islit)?

"Zane, who will be starting his junior year
in high school in the fall, has lived longer
with type 1 diabetes than he has lived with-
out it." Zane was diagnosed with Islit on
his 8th birthday (date unstated), he's now
somewhere past his 16th birthday.

- - -

So, I constructed the followng chart, with
how long and what percent of my life I've
had Islit at each of my birthdays:

1955 Born - 0%
1956 1 - 0%
1957 2 - 0%
1958 3 - 0%
1959 4 - 0%
1960 5 - 0% (diagnosed in March 1961 CE,
5 months after my 5th birthday,
hospitalized with glucose level
> 700 mg/dl, so for my first 65
months, I was fantastically free
of Insulinitis! Pure Heaven!
Began using 2 injections/day
of Regular/NPH insulins to deal
with Islit until 2009 CE)

1961 6 - 9.7% (7 of 72 months)
1962 7 - 22.6% (19 of 84 months)
1963 8 - 32.3% (31 of 96 months; 8th year,
a lifetime of depression
commenced, only relieved
by 2 meds in 2005 when it
became so severe I was hos-
pitalized & that got me the
prescriptions which saved
my life) (also, I lived in
Dallas when John F Kennedy
was tragically assassinated)
1964 9 - 39.8% (43 of 108 months)
1965 10 - 45.8% (55 of 120 months; I think
my first severe low hap-
pened the summer before my
10th birthday on a visit
to a friend in Dallas at
a park near her house)

1966 11 - 50.8% (67 of 132 months)
1967 12 - 54.9% (79 of 144 months)
1968 13 - 58.3% (91 of 156 months)
1969 14 - 61.3% (103 of 168 months)
1970 15 - 63.9% (115 of 180 months)

1971 16 - 66.1% (127 of 192 months; motor-
cycle wreck Dec 7 1971 CE
due to low glucose, causing
compound fracture in lower
part of left leg)
1972 17 - 68.1% (139 of 204 months)
1973 18 - 69.9% (151 of 216 months)
1974 19 - 71.5% (163 of 228 months)
1975 20 - 72.9% (175 of 240 months)

1976 21 - 74.2% (187 of 252 months)
1977 22 - 75.4% (199 of 264 months)
1978 23 - 76.4% (211 of 276 months)
1979 24 - 77.4% (223 of 288 months)
1980 25 - 78.3% (235 of 300 months)

1981 26 - 79.2% (247 of 312 months)
1982 27 - 79.9% (259 of 324 months)
1983 28 - 80.7% (271 of 336 months)
1984 29 - 81.3% (283 of 348 months)
1985 30 - 81.9% (295 of 360 months)

1986 31 - 82.5% (307 of 372 months)
1987 32 - 83.1% (319 of 384 months)
1988 33 - 83.6% (331 of 396 months)
1989 34 - 84.1% (343 of 408 months)
1990 35 - 84.5% (355 of 420 months; 1st
marriage Sep 1, 1990, over
a month prior to my 35th
birthday; birth of my only
daughter, Angela, 7 months
after my 35th birthday, 12
weeks early)

1991 36 - 85.0% (367 of 432 months; birth
of my only daughter, Angela,
5 months before my 36th birth-
day)
1992 37 - 85.4% (379 of 444 months)
1993 38 - 85.7% (391 of 456 months; divorce
which was major contributor
to 2005 severe depression,
it almost killed me in 1993)
1994 39 - 86.1% (403 of 468 months)
1995 40 - 86.5% (415 of 480 months)

1996 41 - 86.8% (427 of 492 months)
1997 42 - 87.1% (439 of 504 months)
1998 43 - 87.4% (451 of 516 months)
1999 44 - 87.7% (463 of 528 months)
2000 45 - 88.0% (475 of 540 months)

2001 46 - 88.2% (487 of 552 months; early in
2001, end of my high paying
tech writing career due to
tech writing burnout; over 1
month prior to birthday, hor-
rific World Trade Center /
Pentagon / jets / lives des-
troyed by religious terror-
ists on 9-11-2001)
2002 47 - 88.5% (499 of 564 months)
2003 48 - 88.7% (511 of 576 months)
2004 49 - 88.9% (523 of 588 months)
2005 50 - 89.2% (535 of 600 months; chronic
depression which I'd battled
since age 8 almost killed me
but Wellbutrin XL & Mirtazapine
saved me / cured me just in the
nick of time)

2006 51 - 89.4% (547 of 612 months)
2007 52 - 89.6% (559 of 624 months)
2008 53 - 89.8% (571 of 636 months)
2009 54 - 90.0% (583 of 648 months; the summer
before turning 54, I sought
help from a local GP to deal
with severe hypoglycemia, he
put me on intense insulin in-
jections with Levemir & Novo-
log insulins, my severe hypo
problem worsened)
2010 55 - 90.2% (595 of 660 months)

2011 56 - 90.3% (607 of 672 months)
2012 57 - 90.5% (619 of 684 months)
2013 58 - 90.7% (631 of 696 months; finally saw
an endocrinologist to address
my continuing severe hypogly-
cemia problem, getting a CGM
in October)
2014 59 - 90.8% (643 of 708 months; got an
Omnipod insulin pump in Jan-
uary, 9 months before my
59th birthday, and finally
solved my severe hypo prob-
lems)
2015 60 - 91.0% (655 of 720 months)

2016 61 - 91.1% (667 of 732 months)
2017 62 - 91.3% (679 of 744 months)
2018 63 - 91.4% (691 of 756 months; retired
in April, 6 months before my
63rd birthday)
Now (June, 2019) 63 + 8 months - 91.5% (699 of 764 months)

- - -

Future, if I live 'til my birthday in

2020 65 - 91.7% (715 of 780 months)
2030 75 - 92.8% (835 of 900 months)
2040 85 - 93.6% (955 of 1,020 months)
2050 95 - 94.3% (1,075 of 1,140 months)
2055 100 - 94.6% (1,135 of 1,200 months)

- - -

Article the quote that inspired me
to write this post came from:

- - -
June 30 2019 CE

Teen advocating for
type 1 diabetes research

Zane Bland was chosen to be a delegate
in the JDRF 2019 Children’s Congress
https://hl.nwaonline.com/news/2019/jun/30/teen-advocating-for-type-1-diabetes-res/
- - -

Excerpts [with clarifying inserts, not part
of original article, included in brackets]:

The 16-year-old Siloam Springs High School
student is one of four Arkansas children
chosen by the Juvenile Diabetes Research
Foundation's 2019 Children's Congress as
a delegate, according to a press release
from the nonprofit.

- - -
Type 1 Diabetes [Insulitis Islit]

Type 1 diabetes is an autoimmune disease
in which a person’s pancreas stops produc-
ing insulin [actually, even in rapid onset,
endogenous insulin is significantly reduced
but over many years, it decreases and in
many, not all, produces no endogenous ...

... insulin, with some producing a very
miniscule inconsequential amount even after
having Insulitis-caused Islit over 50 years],
a hormone that enables people to get energy
from food.

[They're actually 13 specific types of rapid
onset, 12 of them not related to an autoimmune
attack (Insulitis is the name for that auto-
immune attack)].

It [Insulitis] occurs when the body’s immune
system attacks and destroys the insulin-pro-
ducing cells in the pancreas. While its cau-
ses are not entirely understood, scientists
believe that both [poly]genetic factors and
environmental triggers are involved.

The onset has nothing to do with diet or
lifestyle and there is currently no way to
prevent or cure the disease.

Source: Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation
- - -

The Arkansas delegates will join with more
than 160 other children [with Islit] from
all 50 states on July 8 - 10 to lobby members
of Congress and remind them of the vital need
to support [Islit] research that could [will]
reduce the burden of the disease and ultimately ...

... [hopefully] find a cure [those of us who
have Islit who are in our 60s and older, sooner
is required as we don't have all that much time
left (-: ], the release states.

They will be joined by five international dele-
gates traveling from Australia, Canada, Israel,
the Netherlands and the United Kingdom.

While in Washington, D.C., the children will
attend a congressional committee meeting to
share their personal testimonies, meet with
their local members of Congress and Represen-
tatives, and meet role models -- celebrities
and athletes -- who have [Islit].

"Every day these children [and adults, JDRF
estimates that 85% of those with Islit have
reached adulthood] and their parents [well,
not all that many parents are involved after
an Islit child leaves home] face the burden
of [Islit] and by sharing their stories they ...

... become powerful advocates in the fight
to end [Islit or short of that, to improve
treatments to reduce the risks that come
from hypoglycemia and from glucose averages
being above normal all-too-often in (esti-
mates vary) many or most who have Islit]," ...

... said Sue Tull, executive director, JDRF
Arkansas Chapter. "The delegates are a repre-
sentation of millions of other families [well,
estimates vary, but perhaps as many as 1.25
million have Islit in America, and based on
average family size of 3.14, that equates to ...

... slightly less than 4 million people in
families with at least one close relative
(father, mother, son, daughter) having Islit] ...

... who need the support of the government.
Children's Congress gives the [Islit] youth
... ... a ... voice in front of Congress
and a way to urge our government leaders
to continue supporting research.

Zane, who will be starting his junior year
in high school in the fall, has lived longer
with type 1 diabetes [Insulitis Islit] than
he has lived without it.

On his eighth birthday, his family took him
on a trip to Branson, Mo., to celebrate. On
the way home, Zane became very sick.

Zane's parents, Jeff and Leslie Bland, had
noticed he was getting taller and thinner,
but thought it was part of a growth spurt,
Leslie said. The next week Jeff took Zane
to the doctor. The doctor's office called
just minutes after they left and told them
to come straight back.

"They did say we caught it pretty early, he
didn't have to go into the hospital for weeks,"
Leslie said.

... Since Zane was diagnosed, technology has
improved a lot and instead of doing finger
sticks multiple times a day to monitor his
blood glucose followed by insulin injections,
he has an insulin pump, a small computerized
device that delivers insulin continuously ...

... throughout the day. He also has a wire-
less continuous glucose monitor that checks
his blood sugar every five minutes and sends
the data to his phone, his parent's phone
and to athletic trainer Brian Nitz's phone.

[The first CGM system was approved by the
FDA in 1999, but their cost has both de-
creased and increased, insurance coverage
has by and large increased, and the number
of independent entities providing them has
increased; their effectiveness varies ...

... from manufacturer to manufacturer and
also based on the types of updating used
by each manufacturer - a new less expen-
sive device from Abbott (Freestyle Libre)
requires being placed near the device to
get a reading (it doesn't auto-update); ...

... it has the advantage of not requiring
calibration but has the disadvantage of
not being able to correct a reading that
is far away from being accurate.]

[Insulin pumps, it's challenging to find
the history for all of the pumps but the
one I use, the Omnipod tubeless insulin
pump (the only tubeless pump), its first
version appears to have been available
in 2005. Tubed pumps, you'd have to ...

... search for history on each of those
and I'm not really sure when they began
to be widely used. I know I was late to
the insulin pump / CGM party, my first
use was a CGM in October, 2013 followed
by an Omnipod in January, 2014]

... there are times that Zane has to put
his life on pause, like last fall when he
had to sit out a football game because his
blood [glucose] was too low or the other
times when he has had to sit in his car
and wait until his blood [glucose] is ...

... high enough to drive. "The first game
of my sophomore year, I had to sit out the
entire time because my blood [glucose] was
low and I couldn't go in and do anything,"
Zane said. "So I wanted to change things.
I wanted to make everything better for
[everyone with Islit]. I wanted to make
everybody normal."

As an advocate for [those with Islit],
Zane would like to find a cure for [Islit],
but he also wants to see research into
technology that will make it easier for
people with the condition to [avoid too
low and too high glucose levels with far ...

... less manual intervention to do so.
For example, once the technology is de-
veloped to link insulin pumps and con-
tinuous insulin monitors, the devices
will function as an artificial pancreas
[ideally, being smart enough to totally ...

... eliminate manual intervention to
deal with glucose levels going too low
or too high, the iLet bionic bi-hormonal
pancreas is a good candidate for perhaps
being able to accomplish that -if- the
clinical trial just beginning justifies ...

... it being seen as being able to bring
glucose levels within normal to near-
normal range without having to manually
deal with severe lows and severe highs].

[see article for further details]

- - - end excerpts - - -

- ~ - ~ - ~ - ~ - ~ - ~ - ~ - ~ - ~ - ~ - ~ - ~ -

Pro-Humanist FREELOVER, Freethinking
Realist Exploring Expressive Liberty,
Openness, Verity, Enlightenment, &
Rationality

I've had Islit (Insulinitis, near-total to
total loss of endogenous insulin) since
age 5, getting it over 58 years ago, in
March 1961 CE.

o 13 specific types of rapid onset Islit

o 1 slow onset type, Latent Autoimmune Islit

- - -
diabetes / diabetic without a clarifier,
diabetes / diabetic guessing required
https://prohuman.net/pix2/diabetesdiabeticguessinggame.jpg
- - -

Language isn't set in stone, it's a
movable changeable entity that evolves,
changes over time, some definitions &
words dying, some evolving & becoming
new words and new definitions over time
https://ideas.ted.com/20-words-that-once-meant-something-very-different/

Appropriate Inestimable Invaluable
New Superior Clarifying Names?
https://groups.google.com/d/msg/misc.health.diabetes/ee9KjwQsA1w/jlvOFx_KAwAJ

Widespread Support for critical needed
diabetes / diabetic name changes
https://groups.google.com/d/msg/misc.health.diabetes/88K7M7stVPE/ADkHK8UWEQAJ

- - -

Support for the Potential of My Efforts to
Put an End to Diabetes / Diabetic / Reactive
Hypoglycemia Confusion With Estimable Inval-
uable New Superior Clarifying Names:

One Voice Can Change a Room, a City,
a State, a Nation, THE WORLD
https://tinyurl.com/OneVoiceCan

Diabetes Bubble / Diabetes Bubble Burst
Fantastic! https://prohuman.net/diabetesbubblediabetesbubbleburst.htm

C.ure I.nsulinitis A.ssociation
Ideally! https://prohuman.net/cureinsulinitisassociation.htm

Glucose Anomalies Research regarding
Potential Cures / Improvements in Treatments
If only! https://prohuman.net/glucoseanomaliesresearch.htm

- - -

WHR (waist/height ratio) -and- BMI (body mass index)
https://groups.google.com/d/msg/misc.health.diabetes/U00NEoVpOU0/39dRs9euEgAJ

Living with any of the disparate High
Glucose Conditions - consequences
https://groups.google.com/d/msg/misc.health.diabetes/UxS_1A15epY/pe0dLnN-AwAJ

Life Expectancy at Birth by Race and Sex, 1930–2010
https://www.infoplease.com/life-expectancy-birth-race-and-sex-1930-2010

- ~ - ~ - ~ - ~ - ~ - ~ - ~ - ~ - ~ - ~ - ~ - ~ -

Pro-Humanist FREELOVER

Jun 30, 2019, 7:48:02 PM6/30/19
Pro-Humanist FREELOVER wrote:

> what percent of my life I've had T1DM

Wonderful. Now modify this with how much time each day you
spend managing your T1DM.

I measure BG 4 times per day and dose insulin. This is probably
40 minutes each day, 10 minutes per BG measurement. So DM
takes 40/(24 x 60) = 4.17% of my day.

Next, more than half my life has been T1 and this gives:

0.5 x 4.17% = 2.08%/lifespan deals with DM to date.

I can live with that. I rarely have hypoglycemia.
--
*Never EVER* use my *Stupid BULLSHIT* diabetes names!
My Golden Rule: Brain Fart on Everybody and Yours Truly too!

Pro-Humanist FREELOVER

Jun 30, 2019, 9:34:38 PM6/30/19

. - - -
.
. Insulinitis (Islit), new superior clarifying
. name & abbreviation for near-total to total
. loss of endogenous insulin, 13 specific types
. are rapid onset, 1 specific type with the
. new superior clarifying name of Latent Auto-
. immune Islit is slow onset.
.
. - - -

Follow-up to great detailed post which
outlined some of my experiences dealing
with Islit and life since I was diagnosed
with Islit at age 5, March 1961, year-by-
year percentages of time having Islit,
along with excerpts from the article
inspiring that post:
https://groups.google.com/d/msg/misc.health.diabetes/elJJeo40bow/aOHoSjg5AgAJ

Here's some info I found about someone
diagnosed with Islit at age 2 months
and surviving (with a mention of a 9
day old baby who was diagnosed with an
undisclosed Disparate High Glucose Con-
dition but for reasons unexplained, did
not survive):
https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/city/nagpur/Two-month-old-baby-diagnosed-with-type-1-diabetes/articleshow/12336649.cms

Excerpt [with clarifying inserts, not part
of original article, includedd in brackets]:

Two months after the prognosis was made,
the baby has been coming to the hospital
on a regular basis and the condition has
been managed to the extent that he has
started gaining weight, too.

“The child had come to us with fever and
persistent vomiting that had caused severe
dehydration. The parents informed us about
the presence of convulsions, too. On inves-
tigation, we found that the blood sugar
level of the child had risen to around ...

... 600 milligrams,” said paediatrician
Dr Sanjay Marathe.

“Most doctors found it difficult to believe
the diagnosis. So the baby was subjected to
many tests to confirm the disease. Other
than repeated blood tests, there were
urine examination and other tests before
it was announced,” Dr Marathe added.

It wasn’t just the doctors who were sur-
prised by this revelation. The mother of
the baby at first refused to accept the
results despite the doctors’ conviction.

She was also scared about the little one
having to be injected so often. Now, how-
ever, she has learnt to administer the
shot herself and makes sure she regularly
keeps in touch with the doctors.

“Diabetes [either Islit or Neonatal Dimin-
osis] being detected in such a young age
is quite an uncommon thing. In my two-dec-
ades of practice as an endocrinologist,
the youngest child that I knew having
diabetes [type undisclosed] was only 9 ...

... days old but it did not survive for
long. Among the surviving kids, this is
the youngest one I know,” said ... Dr
Sailesh Pitale.

- - - end excerpt - - -

Comments:

If the 2 month old survives to age 100,
he will have had Islit for 99.8% of his
life, compared to if I survive to age
100, I will have had Islit for 94.6%
of my life. Of course, I don't have
much in the way of memories of my ...

... pre-Islit days, but at least I do
have some pre-Islit memories, though
most of them have faded by now, memor-
ies of what life was like living in
Kosse, TX prior to and after getting
Islit, then moving to Dallas shortly
after getting Islit.

Those pre-Islit days were the happiest
of my entire life.

- - - ~ ~ ~ - - - ~ ~ ~ - - - ~ ~ ~ - - -

diabetes

Confusing? Think about it.

Which disparate condition(s) is(are)
actually being referred to?

Islit, Latent Autoimmune Islit,
Cellosis, Gestational Cellosis,
Diminosis, Neonatal Diminosis,
Ohiglucon,
Insipidus, Hut
https://www.memecreator.org/static/images/memes/4927657.jpg

Diabetes Bubble / Diabetes Bubble Burst
Super! https://prohuman.net/diabetesbubblediabetesbubbleburst.htm

- - -

Pro-Humanist FREELOVER

Insulitis Islit (abbreviation for
Insulinitis, near-total to total
loss of endogenous insulin) since
age 5, March, 1961 CE

C.ure I.nsulinitis A.ssociation
Ideal! https://prohuman.net/cureinsulinitisassociation.htm

Glucose Anomalies Research regarding
Potential Cures / Improvements in Treatments
Great! https://prohuman.net/glucoseanomaliesresearch.htm

- - - ~ ~ ~ - - - ~ ~ ~ - - - ~ ~ ~ - - -

Pro-Humanist FREELOVER

Jul 1, 2019, 9:48:52 AM7/1/19
Pro-Humanist FREELOVER wrote:

> 2001 46 - 88.2% (487 of 552 months; early in
> 2001, end of my high paying
> tech writing career due to
> tech writing burnout; over 1
> month prior to birthday, hor-
> rific World Trade Center /
> Pentagon / jets / lives des-
> troyed by religious terror-
> ists on 9-11-2001)

Follow-up 99 for Mustang crash in 2001:

Overdosing insulin with driving kills fire hydrants:

https://prohuman.net/pix/crashpicts_august_2001.htm

But the fire hydrant was at fault.

Stop overdosing neophyte,
Pro-Humanist FREELOVER