Is anybody here?

Peter Shkenev

Mar 23, 2021, 2:22:35 PM3/23/21
to minix-dev
Hello,

I'm doing a cleanup task from wishlist: https://wiki.minix3.org/doku.php?id=wishlist:start

If I send patches here, can I count on these patches being reviewed?

Best regards,
Peter

stux...@gmail.com

Mar 24, 2021, 6:17:12 AM3/24/21
to minix-dev
Hi Peter,

Sorry, as you can see there hasn't been much activity on the development side of things.  I'm working on playing a much involved role in the project and hopefully getting access to commit stuff to the project.  This will be a slow process as I also have a full time job to prioritize.  I also noticed that you had posted a question regarding ld and llvm-objcopy to this group earlier:
Is this patch related to that project? *Looks through the wishlist* ... perhaps not? In the meantime please submit a pull request to github:
As you can see there is a backlog of pull requests, so it will be several months before it can be addressed, so I ask for a lot of patience!
Finally, please feel free to discuss this pull request or your interest/involvement in the project on the google groups or you're welcome to visit the #minix channel on Freenode.  I'm there although activity isn't what is used to be.

Thanks again for contributing to the project!

-stux

Peter Shkenev

Mar 24, 2021, 7:50:11 AM3/24/21
to minix-dev
Hello,

Thanks for answering.

Firstly, thread about ld and llvm-objcopy was created by another Peter, not me :) .

Secondly, I've meant task on converting K&R-style function definitions to ANSI style.

I've cloned MINIX repo from git.minix3.org, so it may be hard to open pull request on github, so I wanted to try to post patches to Gerrit.

Best regards,
Peter

среда, 24 марта 2021 г. в 13:17:12 UTC+3, stux...@gmail.com:

stux...@gmail.com

Mar 25, 2021, 7:28:18 AM3/25/21
to minix-dev
Ooops! My apologies. I've replied to that conversation accordingly.

I didn't realize there were K&R definitions remaining to be fixed in the source code. Thank you for the contribution!

As for the pull request itself: the github repo is support to be a mirror of git.minix3.org.  It *might* be possible that git would allow a pull request to be submitted from the original repo.  I do not yet have access to the original minix repo and I don't know how pull requests can be posted there so posting to github would be preferable from my perspective.  With that in mind I tried to do a quick search for solutions and found these two links:

I hope these help.  Please let me know if you're able to successfully post a pull request to github.

Thanks!

-stux

Peter Shkenev

Mar 27, 2021, 2:38:37 AM3/27/21
to minix-dev
Hello,

I succeeded! You can review it now.

Best regards,
Peter

четверг, 25 марта 2021 г. в 14:28:18 UTC+3, stux...@gmail.com:

stux...@gmail.com

Mar 29, 2021, 9:26:18 AM3/29/21
to minix-dev
Hi Peter,

Thank you for submitting your pull request! Unfortunately, as I mentioned before, I do not have the power to push the request into the repository.

I did take a look at what was changed, and unfortunately I have bad news regarding the change: more likely than not the change cannot be ported into the minix repository either.  The reason for that is that the files being updated (which seem to come from the bin/ksh subdirectory) are part of the user space files imported from NetBSD.  Since these files are updated from the NetBSD source every time we have a refresh, then it would make more sense to leave those files alone and instead make those changes upstream, if necessary.  I don't know if NetBSD has plans to update their code from K&R to ANSI style, or if their ksh code is maintained from some other location.  That is something that would have to be investigated separately.  I would suggest instead to please focus on the minix/ subdirectory when making changes as most of the minix-specific code lies there.

Thanks again and please let me know if you have any questions!

-stux

Peter Shkenev

Mar 29, 2021, 1:23:22 PM3/29/21
to minix-dev
Hello Stux,

Thank you for reviewing. I agree with you that this pull request is unlikely to be accepted. There is some work at minix subdirectory, and I am going to do it there.

This pull request was a kind of reconnaissance. I get acquainted with code and find out if there are any devs with write access to repo.

If we are unable to find that developers, I think it would be easier to make a temporary (I hope) fork in order to keep things going.

Best regards,
Peter
понедельник, 29 марта 2021 г. в 16:26:18 UTC+3, stux...@gmail.com:

stux...@gmail.com

Apr 6, 2021, 9:32:44 AM4/6/21
to minix-dev
Hi Peter,

I've been working with the project owners on getting access to the project prior so that a fork of the project isn't necessary.   Please be aware that this will take some time.

-stux

Peter Shkenev

Apr 6, 2021, 12:44:54 PM4/6/21
to minix-dev
Hello Stux,

Okay, this is good news! I'm looking forward for the day we can restart this machine!

Best regards,
Peter

вторник, 6 апреля 2021 г. в 16:32:44 UTC+3, stux...@gmail.com:

stux...@gmail.com