Compiling ld and llvm-objcopy

Peter Uchil

Jul 13, 2020, 2:35:18 PM7/13/20
to minix-dev
I am trying to do some assembly programming on Minix for which I need ld as well as llvm-objcopy.
1. I tried to get ld using pkgsrc it fails
2. I tried to compile llvm ld on Minix, but it fails for missing libpthread

My ultimate goal is to port Minix to raspberry Pi but for that I need ld/llvm-objcopy.
Do you have any suggestions/recommendation before I move to My next steps?

My next tasks:
1. Compile libpthread on minix
2. Compile clang
3. Compile llvm-ld and llvm-objcopy.

~PU

stux...@gmail.com

Mar 25, 2021, 7:00:20 AM3/25/21
to minix-dev
Hi Peter,

Sorry for the late reply.  I don't know if you're still around or have worked on this project. I am currently starting to slowly work towards trying to revive the project.  I've made mention of the need to migrate from binutils to lld here:

And there was a prior GSoC that began work on porting Minix to the Raspberri Pi that can be built upon:

Also regarding your steps, I know there was some kind of user thread solution already working in Minix but I don't know if it was libpthread.  One of them should work at least.  The goal should be to integrate these llvm tools into the minix repo itself and not pkgsrc.

Please let me know if you're still interested in working on this project.  I hope that you're well, safe and healthy!

Cheers,

-stux