Re: [MidValleyNature:6785] Digest for mid-valley-nature@googlegroups.com - 5 updates in 2 topics

Ruby Moon

Nov 6, 2022, 6:49:31 PM11/6/22
to mid-vall...@googlegroups.com
I would like to let people know about our Evening garden club talk  January 9th with Doug Tallamy(Natures Best Hope). It's  a zoom talk with a $5 donation.
How can I do this?
Ruby

On Fri, Nov 4, 2022, 10:41 PM <mid-vall...@googlegroups.com> wrote:
Tim Johnson <tim.the....@gmail.com>: Nov 04 04:44PM -0700

Hi all,

Salem Audubon's November's Birder's Night focuses on the African countries
of Ethiopia and Dijibouti.

Ethiopia is a rare African country without a European colonial past. Italy
tried to conquer Ethiopia without success, and to this day, they have
conflicts with neighboring Eritrea, Somalia, and Djibouti. The dominant
religion is Coptic Christian, and the primary language is Amharic, reputed
to be what Christ spoke. The country is rocky, mountainous, and dry most of
the year except for the months-long monsoon season, which isolates some
areas for months. Over 850 bird species are found in this area, plus a
variety of apes and other mammals like the Ethiopian Wolf.

Long-time Salem Audubon members Pat and Joann Gallagher have used birding
to see the world, including places not high on the usual tourist lists.
This month they share photos and experiences from their 2017 visit to
Ethiopia and Djibouti, located in the Horn of Africa.

Tuesday, Nov. 8. 6:30 - 8:00 pm (Doors open at 6 pm) Broadway Commons 1300
Broadway Street NE, Salem (take the elevator to the 3rd floor).

To join the meeting remotely through Zoom, register using the following
link
https://us02web.zoom.us/webinar/register/WN_0l6XI4IjQLqv7IWIkoAByQ

Tim Johnson
President
Salem Audubon Society
www.salemaudubon.org
Randy and Pamela Comeleo <rott...@peak.org>: Nov 04 02:32AM -0400

Here is an older episode of Oregon Field Guide from way back in 2001 with a piece on rain beetles starring some folks that may look very familiar. It's the 3rd segment.

OREGON FIELD GUIDE
Season 12 Episode 4 | 28m 52s

Wildlife experts check in on nesting peregrine falcons in the city and the woods. Join host Steve Amen and family in their effort to find the ultimate camping experience. An in-depth look at one of our oldest insects and their brief, but very active life cycle.

Aired: 02/01/01
[ https://video.pbsutah.org/video/season-12-episode-4-7koeyt/ | https://video.pbsutah.org/video/season-12-episode-4-7koeyt/ ]

Our dog Luna has amazing rain beetle detection skills. She tracks them down by some olfactory means and locates them underground. Unfortunately for the beetles, she finds them to be a gustatory delight! We do our best to discourage her beetle-icide tendencies but it does make me curious about what other wild animals, besides Luna, eat these fuzzy little fat packets

.-Pam