Saltar al primer mensaje no leído

Catherine Otto

no leída,
3 nov 2022, 22:08:133/11/22
a Mid-Valley Nature
Greetings,

Today on a hike in the forest near the Lewisburg Saddle a friend and I saw this beetle flying slowly like a bumblebee in among the ferns and brambles. It landed long enough for a few photos.

I looked up bumblebee scarabs and found some similar ones, but not this exact one
. Any ideas on the exact ID of this beetle? It’s quite striking really-so dark and shiny with what so interestingly looks like fur all around the edges of its body.

Happy fall exploring!

Catherine Otto
Corvallis
image0.jpeg
image1.jpeg
image2.jpeg
image3.jpeg

Karan Fairchild

no leída,
3 nov 2022, 22:33:233/11/22
a Catherine Otto,Mid-Valley Nature
It is a rain beetle- genus Pleocoma, not sure of the species. They're very cool!

Karan Fairchild

[image/jpeg:image0.jpeg]

[image/jpeg:image1.jpeg]

[image/jpeg:image2.jpeg]

[image/jpeg:image3.jpeg]

Marge Alig

no leída,
4 nov 2022, 0:19:474/11/22
a Karan Fairchild,Catherine Otto,Mid-Valley Nature
They ARE very cool! Lucky you.   Interesting life histories.

Nice little Oregon Field Guide piece on them here.

On Nov 3, 2022, at 7:33 PM, Karan Fairchild <alde...@peak.org> wrote:

It is a rain beetle- genus Pleocoma, not sure of the species.  They're very cool!

Randy and Pamela Comeleo

no leída,
4 nov 2022, 2:32:504/11/22
a Marge Alig,Jim and Karan Fairchild,Catherine Otto,mid-valley-nature
Here is an older episode of Oregon Field Guide from way back in 2001 with a piece on rain beetles starring some folks that may look very familiar. It's the 3rd segment.

OREGON FIELD GUIDE
Season 12 Episode 4 | 28m 52s

Wildlife experts check in on nesting peregrine falcons in the city and the woods. Join host Steve Amen and family in their effort to find the ultimate camping experience. An in-depth look at one of our oldest insects and their brief, but very active life cycle.

Aired: 02/01/01

Our dog Luna has amazing rain beetle detection skills. She tracks them down by some olfactory means and locates them underground. Unfortunately for the beetles, she finds them to be a gustatory delight! We do our best to discourage her beetle-icide tendencies but it does make me curious about what other wild animals, besides Luna, eat these fuzzy little fat packets

.-Pam