Looking for MicroProfile Committer rep candidates

Kevin Sutter

Oct 20, 2020, 8:33:34 AM10/20/20
to MicroProfile
Hi,
As part of the formation of the MicroProfile Working Group, we need to elect a Representative from the Committer population.  But, the first step is to identify candidates for this election.  If you would like to get more intimately involved with the MicroProfile Working Group and represent the wider Committer community, please consider throwing your hat into the ring.  We would prefer the candidates to be outside of the Charter Member organizations (Atlanta JUG, IBM, Jelastic, RH, and Tomitribe) -- just to provide more diversity.

This role would be very similar to other elected Committer Reps on the various Eclispe boards and working groups.  The expectation is that you would participate in the various meetings and emails relating to the Working Group.  You would be representing the wider community, so getting input from the community to support your positions and votes would be healthy.  That is, you would not be expected to do this "alone" or in a vacuum.

Think about it.  If you are interested, you can reply to this thread, or you can reach out to either John Clingan or myself.  We would like to initiate the Committer Rep vote soon so that we have a complete representation of the community.

Thanks!
Kevin

Edwin Derks

Oct 20, 2020, 9:00:36 AM10/20/20
to microp...@googlegroups.com
Hi Kevin,

I'm interested in becoming a Committer Representative. In this role, I will try to help MicroProfile grow and mature in its evolution, representing the community and committers that help build it. Personally, it should help me grow my understanding of the concepts of open-source software development and how this works in reality. And of course, I'm feeling very welcome in the MP community so I would like to give something back.

Edwin

John Clingan

Oct 20, 2020, 4:18:20 PM10/20/20
to MicroProfile
Thanks for putting your name in the hat, Edwin!

Bruno Baptista

Oct 22, 2020, 4:53:24 AM10/22/20
to MicroProfile
Hi All,
I'd like to be a community representative.
I'm a Soft. Architect at Talkdesk, a leading contact center provider in the cloud. In my group we are using almost all the Microprofile Specs in production.
I think Microprofile is the best thing on the Java enterprise landscape for years and it should be nurtured and allowed to evolve in a fast pace.
Individually, I've been interested and contributing to open source projects for a very long time and an active JUG co-organizer in Coimbra, Portugal.
I've been using open standards since the beginning of my career and I feel it's also time to give back to the community.
Cheers!
Bruno

Roberto Cortez

Oct 22, 2020, 5:48:45 AM10/22/20
to microp...@googlegroups.com

Amelia Eiras

Oct 22, 2020, 2:17:25 PM10/22/20
to MicroProfile Community

John Clingan

Oct 22, 2020, 2:36:25 PM10/22/20
to MicroProfile
Awesome! Thanks Bruno!

Amelia Eiras

Dec 7, 2020, 6:46:33 PM12/7/20
to MicroProfile Community
Exciting update for our ecosystem,

Thanks to every MicroProfiler involved, (more always welcomed), and Sharon (EF-EMO) for providing her assistance on the elections.

  1. Subscribe to the MPWG official forum for the process if you plan to nominate yourself or someone else: MicroProfile Working Group discussions- EF infra (47 subscribers)
  2. Election Schedule: 15 days turnaround

    December 7-10:  Call for Nominations (self-nominations are welcome)

    December 14:  Announce Candidates Standing (with a short bio)

    December 15-21:  Ballots Created/Sent

    December 22:  Announce Committer Member Representative

Bcc'd on this message: Bruno and Edwin!

December 22nd is added to the MP Calendar as formal tracing.

Rhuan Henrique

Dec 7, 2020, 8:28:12 PM12/7/20
to MicroProfile
Hi all,

I would like to be a community representative. I'm a Red Hatter and I would like to contribute closer to code. I have contributed with papers and contents about MP.

Thank you!
Rhuan Rocha

Amelia Eiras

Dec 9, 2020, 12:25:04 PM12/9/20
to MicroProfile Community
Hola beautiful Rhuan,

You need to send your interest via the MP working group mailing list.
Please check the above dated Dec 7th link. Within my Dec 7th message, there are tasks like "subscribe" to the new process-forum. Further details about the activity are also provided.

Werner Keil

Dec 9, 2020, 2:45:37 PM12/9/20
to MicroProfile
Rhuan,

"Red Hatter" meaning you are an employee of Red Hat, not a freelancer or external contractor working there?
In that case judging from at least how the Jakarta EE WGs do this you cannot be a Committer candidate, not if you are employed by one of the member companies, especially Strategic Members like Red Hat or IBM.

Neither Bruno nor Edwin seem to be employees of a company that is a (MP WG) member itself, so they sound fine.
I know at least Payara has a number of external contractors especially outside the UK, that may be a bit of a grey area but they could be allowed to run as committer members.
I worked e.g. at BEA as an external consultant before Oracle took it over and it was a JCP member, but because I wasn't an internal employee, I had no problem joining the JCP or JSRs as an Individual Member, while an employee would have had to join on their behalf. I believe it is similar here I'm afraid.

Werner

Rhuan Henrique

Dec 9, 2020, 3:44:53 PM12/9/20
to MicroProfile
Hi Werner,

I'm an employee of Red Hat. Thus, I'm understanding I can not be a candidate. Okay, thank you for advising me.

Best regards,
Rhuan

John Clingan

Dec 10, 2020, 9:29:26 AM12/10/20
to MicroProfile
Thanks for stepping up, Rhuan. However, Werner is correct in that we are looking for Committer Reps that are not employees of Corporate members. We look forward to your continued contributions!