USB problem

Robert Gardner

Dec 5, 2022, 2:56:31 PM12/5/22
to md380tools
My MD380 has an issue with reading and writing to the computer.  It has an early version of (SAAR) of MD380 tools.

When connected to either a Windows 10 or Linux Mint machine with a genuine TYT cable the computer reports no radio found. Radio will not talk to computer with either operzating system. On Windows Device Manager shows the USB-Serial adapter.

I have tried both latest version of CPS and Editcp without success.

Any ideas would be appreciated.... pleasee keep in mind the issue is radio will not talk to computer....   all else is OK.

Regards

Rob
zl1rd

Dale Farnsworth

Dec 5, 2022, 3:11:13 PM12/5/22
to md380...@googlegroups.com
Double check that your cable is a TYT cable. The TYT cable has no USB-Serial adapter.d

Dale W7DA

Robert Gardner

Dec 5, 2022, 4:18:44 PM12/5/22
to md380tools
As shown in original message:
When connected to either a Windows 10 or Linux Mint machine with a genuine TYT cable the computer reports no radio found. R

Luke Williams

Dec 5, 2022, 4:33:40 PM12/5/22
to md380...@googlegroups.com
It sounds like you have a genuine TYT cable for a different radio. Connection to the MD380 is native USB.

Rob

Dec 5, 2022, 4:52:51 PM12/5/22
to md380...@googlegroups.com
You know, that could be a definite possibility as I also have a TYT analog radio. Thank you!
> You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "md380tools" group.
> To view this discussion on the web, visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/md380tools/CAAULat08gcfjjXE2KgoeUN5ZGx%3DNAjXgkewOR%3DyKTqWm_XBfPQ%40mail.gmail.com.

stpat...@gmail.com

Dec 5, 2022, 5:10:56 PM12/5/22
to md380tools
You can tell if a cable is meant for an analog radio if you plug it in to the computer without it plugged into radio and the computer makes a connection to it.
The one for the DMR radios doesn't make any connection to the computer because it is a straight through cable, because the DMR radios have native USB in them.

Dale, KC2CBD

Rob

Dec 5, 2022, 5:13:02 PM12/5/22
to md380...@googlegroups.com
All noted and understood…. thank you.
> To view this discussion on the web, visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/md380tools/a2a3800f-9498-48fd-bdae-9ce9279978b8n%40googlegroups.com.

Rob

Dec 6, 2022, 3:47:51 AM12/6/22
to md380tools
Thank you for the responses received.

FYI, my cable definitely says TYT on it and does not get a response from Windows when plugged in. It appears it is the correct cable and does not have a USB-serial adapter.

Is there any way to access the USB hardware in the radio thru the radio menu?  Since I can not get the radio to talk to a computer that appears to be my only option…   any suggestions?

Cheers,

Rob

My MD380 has an issue with reading and writing to the computer.  It has an early version of (SAAR) of MD380 tools.

When connected to either a Windows 10 or Linux Mint machine with a genuine TYT cable the computer reports no radio found. Radio will not talk to computer with either operzating system. On Windows Device Manager shows the USB-Serial adapter.

I have tried both latest version of CPS and Editcp without success.

Any ideas would be appreciated.... pleasee keep in mind the issue is radio will not talk to computer....   all else is OK.

Regards

Rob
zl1rd

Dale Farnsworth

Dec 6, 2022, 1:36:11 PM12/6/22
to md380...@googlegroups.com
Have you tried connecting with the md380 both in DFU mode and not?

If you still can't connect, either the cable or the radio's USB interface is broken.

Dale W7DA

You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "md380tools" group.
To view this discussion on the web, visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/md380tools/BD41BDC6-36C0-49CA-AF06-60E56D7EE412%40icloud.com.

Rob

Dec 6, 2022, 2:12:44 PM12/6/22
to md380tools

Hi Dale

Sorry mate - can you explain DFU….. not familiar with the term.
> To view this discussion on the web, visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/md380tools/CAEy-6SawATRh6OEAd_BVWzdWr4CAJQrxL4gC3iubU7%2BJL9Qqew%40mail.gmail.com.

Dale Farnsworth

Dec 6, 2022, 2:40:08 PM12/6/22
to md380...@googlegroups.com
DFU, Device Firmware Update, mode is the firmware programming mode entered by powering on while holding in the PTT and the button above PTT. The light flashes red/green when in DFU mode. The md380 must be in DFU mode when updating the firmware and must not be in DFU mode when updating the codeplug.

Rob

Dec 6, 2022, 2:59:43 PM12/6/22
to md380...@googlegroups.com
Thank you…. all noted and understood. I have tried both modes with no success… get error message about USB not found. I strongly suspect radio is faulty. Will advise when I find out definitely.

Cheers,

Rob