how to run a dist-upgrade (or how to install own-cloud client and pandoc)

Anthony Beck

May 11, 2016, 12:57:39 PM5/11/16
to Maru OS
Hi,

I'm one of those people who bought a nexus 5 specifically for this. It's a thing of beauty... thanks.

I'm now trying to make this my laptop replacement. Most of the software I use has installed fine (geany, inkscape, gimp and QGIS - running a full-blow GIS from my phone is simply stunning).

I write in Markdown and use pandoc to render things out. I can't get pandoc to install (but I can live with that). The thing that is critical for me is own-cloud. I synchronise all my project work with my home server. My googling has suggested that I use the client from the site rather than the repo. However, this version is held back from updates. This means I need to run dist-upgrade to make it work. However, this kills the desktop environment.

I've searched this forum for a related post and found nothing. Can any Gurus (Preetam?) offer any advice - or should I just sit on my hands for a while.

Many thanks

Ant

Preetam

May 12, 2016, 7:37:02 PM5/12/16
to Maru OS

Hey Ant,

First off, thanks so much again for purchasing a Nexus 5 to try out Maru!

Which version of Maru are you using? I assume v0.2.2? You can easily check in Settings > About phone.

Pandoc

I am surprised you are having issues installing pandoc. I was able to easily install it with the following from a fresh Maru v0.2.2 install:

 $ sudo apt-get update
 $ sudo apt
-get install pandoc

I'm also able to run a quick Markdown formatting test to HTML so things look like they work out of the box:

Owncloud-client

I don't use ownclient myself so I can't easily test this. But these commands installed the 1.6.4 client just fine.

$ sudo apt-get install owncloud-client

Does the older client not work for you?

Please try the above and let me know how it goes. If you are still having issues please give me the the exact errors you are facing, e.g. paste terminal output etc.

Hope this helps!

Preetam

Preetam

May 12, 2016, 10:19:13 PM5/12/16
to Maru OS
Also check out Bruce's solution to grab the latest client from jessie-backports really easily here: https://groups.google.com/d/msg/maru-os/Yi9jmVFzh-s/uVI6QnvCDQAJ

Anthony Beck

May 13, 2016, 2:08:51 AM5/13/16
to Maru OS
Thanks Preetam,

I'm on 2.2.

It's the version of owncloud-client that's the issue - dist-upgrade was my solution. However, that solution from Bruce is perfect - I now have a working owncloud-client!.

For pandoc I was an idiot.

Thanks

Ant