Refrence

Hamide Zebardast

Jul 15, 2022, 1:00:43 PM7/15/22
to Manopt
Hi,
Hope everything goes well,
I am using "trustregions", "steepestdescent", and "rlbfgs" solvers for my problem on "complexcirclefactory" manifold. My optimization problem is based on multiple vectors, so I am using '"productmanifoldK" to construct manifold. I will be so grateful if you introduce    references for each solver in this case. Actually, I want to derive the equations of each algorithm in this case.
Best Regards,
Hamideh

Ronny Bergmann

Jul 16, 2022, 7:56:41 AM7/16/22
to Manopt
Hi,
for trust regions the documentation page lists 3 references https://www.manopt.org/solver_documentation_trustregions.html
for gradient descent it might also be enough to check chapter 4 in Absil, Mahony, Sepulchre: Optimisation on Matrix Manifolds (Princeton Press, 2008) might be enough?

All of them are for general manifolds, so this includes product manifolds for sure :)

Best regards
Ronny

Hamide Zebardast

Jul 18, 2022, 9:31:57 AM7/18/22
to Manopt
Thanks a lot for your suggestions. Actually, my question is about the Wolfe conditions in the attached file. I will be so grateful if you answer my question.
Best Regard
Hamideh

Wolfe.pdf

Ronny Bergmann

Jul 18, 2022, 1:34:23 PM7/18/22
to Manopt
Hm, now we are from references to a specific other question, but ok.

I do not understand all of your notation, I am sorry; also this seems to be a problem (as stated) not on manifolds but constrained on complex matrices? Then any classical textbook (Nocedal & Wright for example) should be fine. In your notation, the X has columns x_1,...,x_M, but they do not depend on i so what is x_m(i) then? The with entry of x_m? but then your matrix would just contain values +1 and -1? That would be tough to optimise since it would be a discrete domain. For the <A,B> I think you mean <a_i, b_i> in the definition of the inner product?

Concerning Wolfe – you switched the sign in the second, but that should be fine, the rest looks like https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wolfe_conditions, but we are then no linger in the constrained setting?

Hamide Zebardast

Jul 19, 2022, 2:35:33 AM7/19/22
to Manopt
Thanks a lot.
Actually, x_m  with N elements is the m'th column of the matrix X. The cost function is written as f(x_1,x_2,...x_M), so I considered the constraint on the vectors x_m. The vector x_m has complex elements with unit amplitude (its phase is in (0,2pi)). I have considered the search space as the product of M manifolds, while x_m is in manifold m (each manifold m is an N-dimensional complex circle).
<A,B>=\sum_{i=1}^M  (a_i,b_i)

Ronny Bergmann

Jul 19, 2022, 3:44:28 PM7/19/22
to Manopt
Ah, sorry, I forgot the complex part there. The problem when switching from this constraint problem to the unconstraint case is that within the Wolfe conditions you can no longer to a + (since your space is no longer Euclidean, cf. for example https://www.math.fsu.edu/~whuang2/pdf/BFGSNonsmooth_techrep.pdf

Hamideh Zebardast

Jul 20, 2022, 5:18:01 AM7/20/22
to Ronny Bergmann, Manopt

Ok, thanks a lot. I got it. Is it correct to consider the armijo condition to both RBFGS and Riemannian steepest descent?
Best regards
Hamideh

--
http://www.manopt.org
---

Nicolas Boumal

Jul 20, 2022, 5:29:18 AM7/20/22
to Manopt
Dear Hamideh,
These are more general optimization questions that you can read about in standard textbooks. I would recommend Nocedal & Wright's book for example: they have detailed discussions of line-search algorithms. They work the same on manifolds.
(Also, this is getting far from the original topic of this post, which was about references.)
Best,
Nicolas

Hamideh Zebardast

Jul 20, 2022, 5:52:59 AM7/20/22