Maker Faire Update = No Update

Jason Langdon

Jun 13, 2012, 9:56:15 AM6/13/12
to maker...@googlegroups.com

Hello makers,

I just wanted to send a note out to let everyone know that the Cincinnati Maker Faire is still cooking but there is no progress to report yet. Carrie and I are working on getting in front of the powers that control Washington Park to sell them on the idea. We'll keep you all posted on how that goes.

I went to the San Mateo Maker Faire and have returned supercharged to create our own thing.

I'm going to start getting the application together but I may be reaching out to you guys for input and commitments as necessary.

So, in other words, I have nothing to say. But I will soon!

Thanks,

Jason

dsc_0060.jpg

brad.c...@gmail.com

Jul 1, 2012, 4:24:56 PM7/1/12
to maker...@googlegroups.com
Jason,

It's great to hear something is cooking in Cincinnati's maker culture. I wanted to share with you a competition, LIVE MAKE Industrial Arts Center, I have been working on in collaboration with the Brewery District Community Urban Redevelopment Corporation and the American Institute of Architects Cincinnati. It is an architecture competition focused on the spaces the maker culture often inhabits.

The goal of the competition is to advocate for architecture as a means of envisioning new economic opportunity and for the ruse of old industrial buildings for complex programs. We have received funding from an AIA Ohio Advocacy Grant, we expect to receive funding from the Haile Foundation and are in talks with Aaron Betsky, Director of the Cincinnati Art Museum, Cincinnati Preservation Association, Architectural Foundation of CIncinnati, Matt Anthony and Losantiville and others for more collaboration and funding.

I also have a former colleague, Kyle Sturgeon, that is Director of Advanced Studios, Building Technologies and Management at the Boston Architectural College. He will be having three studios submit work to the competition and we hope to have other schools committing in the coming weeks.

After winners are selected, we will be having a lecture/symposium and exhibition of the submissions. I was hoping to get some work exhibited by local hackers and makers to exhibit alongside the architectural work. We have not set a date for the exhibition but it will be between late January and early March. Matt Anthony shared with me that there was talks of a Maker Fair and I thought it might be a good partnership to cross promote, especially across disciplines. If the Maker Fair is happening during the exhibition I think there is the possibility that we could combine efforts to make both of our projects more successful.

If you have any questions or would like to speak more, please don't hesitate to contact me.

-Brad Cooper
LIVE MAKE Organizer

LIVE MAKE_Invitation and Key Themes.pdf
Description.pdf

JDartt

Jul 3, 2012, 12:26:53 PM7/3/12
to maker...@googlegroups.com
Hi everyone,

Just found out about this group via Adafruit. I was initially looking for resources to try to start a children's maker faire here locally. Happy to help in any way I can and if anyone wants to help try to get a children's maker group started, feel free to reach out.

Very exciting that there's a group here in town!

Thanks!

Julie

Langdon, Jason

Jul 3, 2012, 1:58:21 PM7/3/12
to maker...@googlegroups.com

Hi Brad,

This sounds like a great competition, and a big step toward revitalizing the Brewery District.

The tentative date for the Cincinnati Maker Faire is Saturday, April 13, 2013. We want it to include indoor and outdoor space, so we are hoping the weather will be nice, or at least warm enough to get a good turnout.

What form will the exhibition take? Models, flat renderings, walk-throughs? Perhaps it is something we could re-stage at Cincinnati Maker Faire?

Jason

Jason Langdon
associate creative director
visual design studio lead

POSSIBLE WORLDWIDE
513.297.1055
513.227.4318
mobile
jason....@possibleworldwide.com
possibleworldwide.com
302 W. Third Street St Suite 900
Cincinnati, OH 45202

Langdon, Jason

Jul 3, 2012, 2:06:52 PM7/3/12
to maker...@googlegroups.com

Julie, you should definitely come to our next planning meeting. Children will be a big focus of Cincinnati Maker Faire.

Regarding an ongoing children's maker group, I love the idea. Unfortunately I am stretched thin but I encourage others in the group to make this happen. If a group formed early enough, we could have kids teaching kids at Maker Faire, which would be awesome.

From: JDartt <jschra...@gmail.com>
Date: Tuesday, July 3, 2012 12:26 PM
To: "maker...@googlegroups.com" <maker...@googlegroups.com>
Subject: [makercincy] Re: Maker Faire Update = No Update

JDartt

Langdon, Jason

Jul 5, 2012, 2:30:45 PM7/5/12
to maker...@googlegroups.com

We haven't scheduled one yet. We are hoping to make progress on securing the venue and then we will plan something.

Jason Langdon
associate creative director
visual design studio lead

POSSIBLE WORLDWIDE
513.297.1055
513.227.4318
mobile

J Dartt

Jul 12, 2012, 3:17:49 PM7/12/12
to maker...@googlegroups.com
I'm planning on going up for the Detroit Maker Faire at the Henry Ford on 7/29. I'll try to get video and photos for anyone else interested.

Actually just had my child tested for what we thought was a reading disability and found out he's borderline genius in engineering, so this has become a little more near and dear to my heart.

Bradley Cooper

Jul 18, 2012, 9:05:52 PM7/18/12
to maker...@googlegroups.com
Jason,

The architectural submissions will be flat renderings, drawings etc. These could be projected but there will also be printed and mounted images. We will be having a short exhibition in February but would like to have a lengthier show. At this lengthy show, I was hoping to exhibit the architectural work and work of makers in general with an emphasis on digital tools. This would be to show the possibilities of what could be done in the space of the architetcural program.

I think it would be great to somehow be tied in to the Maker Fair and the date would work well for a later exhibition. I'll be in touch.

-Brad

On Tuesday, July 3, 2012 1:58:21 PM UTC-4, Jason Langdon wrote:

Hi Brad,

This sounds like a great competition, and a big step toward revitalizing the Brewery District.

The tentative date for the Cincinnati Maker Faire is Saturday, April 13, 2013. We want it to include indoor and outdoor space, so we are hoping the weather will be nice, or at least warm enough to get a good turnout.

What form will the exhibition take? Models, flat renderings, walk-throughs? Perhaps it is something we could re-stage at Cincinnati Maker Faire?

Jason

Jason Langdon
associate creative director
visual design studio lead

POSSIBLE WORLDWIDE
513.297.1055
513.227.4318
mobile
302 W. Third Street St Suite 900
Cincinnati, OH 45202

Langdon, Jason

Jul 19, 2012, 9:25:20 AM7/19/12
to maker...@googlegroups.com

Great, Brad. Hopefully you can make the next meeting but in the meantime we will plan on including the exhibit.