Quotation marks in Filters replaced by smart quotes - causes filters not to work

Tom Wilbur

Dec 26, 2015, 10:29:33 PM12/26/15
to mailplaneapp
Hi folks --

I've recently started having a problem with my Gmail filters that appears to only happen in Mailplane.  The problem I see is that upon editing a Filter that has quotes in one of the terms, any quotation marks (") are converted to the 'smart quotes' (”), which stops my Fiiter from working, presumably because the smart quotes are not treated by Gmail as quotation marks but as characters to be matched.

So, for example, if I have this Filter (which works great):

from:(American Express) subject:("AutoPay Reminder"|statement|"payment was received")

And I edit it to add a new term at the end:

subject:("AutoPay Reminder"|statement|"payment was received"|"new text")

What gets saved is:

from:(American Express) subject:(“AutoPay Reminder”|statement|”payment was received”|”new text”)

Which no longer matches the emails that the original filter did.

I've also found that in Mailplane, I'm unable to replace the smart quotes with normal quotation marks (upon saving they all get converted to the smart quotes again).

I'm running Mailplane 3.5.5 (2019) on OS X 10.11.2 (15C50).  I've also seen this behavior on my work Mac that's running Yosemite.

This behavior (the conversion-on-save) does not happen in Chrome (47.0.2526.80) nor in Safari (9.0.2 (11601.3.9)).

The workaround is to only edit Filters with quotation marks in any field using Gmail on Chrome, and if I forget and do it in Mailplane, to correct it also in Chrome.

Let me know if you would like any additional information.

Thanks,

-- Tom

Mailplane Support

Dec 28, 2015, 6:16:31 PM12/28/15
to mailpl...@googlegroups.com
Hi Tom,

Thanks for reporting it. Am I doing something differently in the attached video?

Best regards,
Lars

gmail_filters.mp4

Tom Wilbur

Dec 28, 2015, 9:16:54 PM12/28/15
to mailpl...@googlegroups.com
Hi Lars —

Thanks for the quick attention.  I’ve watched your video, and sure enough, if I do exactly what you do, I see the (correct) behavior you do.  However, after playing with a bunch of times here, what I see is that Gmail behaves differently if you *paste* text in the Subject field of the Filter dialog vs. if you *type* in the field.  In my testing, when I edit the Filter, the filter text is unchanged until I type the first (new) character in the field, at which point the first quotation-mark changes into a smart quote.  But if I do exactly what you do and paste the text, then the character-substitution behavior doesn’t happen.

Can you try again, and this time instead of pasting << |”new text” >>, try typing the characters.

If that doesn’t help you repro it, let me know & I’ll record a video so you can see exactly what I’m doing.

Thanks!

— Tom

Mailplane Support

Dec 29, 2015, 6:13:52 PM12/29/15
to mailpl...@googlegroups.com
Hi Tom,

Ah, you’re right. Does unchecking the smart quote settings (System Preferences > Keyboard) help? Or as alternative you might also disable it via Edit > Substitutions > Smart Quotes

Best regards,
Lars

Tom Wilbur

Dec 30, 2015, 7:57:02 AM12/30/15
to mailpl...@googlegroups.com
Unchecking Edit > Substitutions > Smart Quotes solves the problem for me.  I'll go make that (de)selection on my various Mailplane installs.

Thanks for your help!

— Tom

Mailplane Support

Dec 30, 2015, 6:25:38 PM12/30/15