Next open day?

Robert Leverington

Jun 7, 2011, 5:49:35 AM6/7/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
What does everyone think about having another open day soon?

Sunday 31 July looks like a good date, this would give us plenty of time
to organise the day and projects, and is approximatley 1 year since we
moved in to our new space.

Robert

Clare Greenhalgh

Jun 7, 2011, 5:51:51 AM6/7/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
Sounds great - would you like me to do more cake and stuff?

Noko

tom

Jun 7, 2011, 6:03:22 AM6/7/11
to London Hackspace
awesome idea!
Can we get a little more organised with things to show off this time?
We had so many great ideas last time that didnt happen!

If the laser cutter is working I'm up for demoing that as planned
before. I'll also try and get some nice big projection/kinect things
going

Sam Cook

Jun 7, 2011, 6:12:52 AM6/7/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
Seems like a good idea to me.

I know we don't need this as much of a recruitment drive but getting new members is always good and if nothing else a good excuse for a party.

Would it be worth considering doing it over the whole weekend? maybe one day as more of a show and tell day and the next more of a party? maybe some sort of "sign up on the spot" system to allow people to get straight away access (is there anyway of doing fast direct debits, maybe first payment upfront)?

tom

Jun 7, 2011, 6:30:44 AM6/7/11
to London Hackspace
and a virtual meet-and-greet person. A cardboard cutout of charles
with some buttons on the front that read out pre-recorded information
messages. He could even be holding a small LED display with "minutes
until next tour"

or for maximum lulz we could use jonty

On Jun 7, 11:12 am, Sam Cook <sam.lindenrat...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Seems like a good idea to me.
>
> I know we don't need this as much of a recruitment drive but getting new
> members is always good and if nothing else a good excuse for a party.
>
> Would it be worth considering doing it over the whole weekend? maybe one day
> as more of a show and tell day and the next more of a party? maybe some sort
> of "sign up on the spot" system to allow people to get straight away access
> (is there anyway of doing fast direct debits, maybe first payment upfront)?

Robert Leverington

Jun 7, 2011, 6:49:35 AM6/7/11
On 2011-06-07, Sam Cook wrote:
> Would it be worth considering doing it over the whole weekend? maybe one day
> as more of a show and tell day and the next more of a party? maybe some sort
> of "sign up on the spot" system to allow people to get straight away access
> (is there anyway of doing fast direct debits, maybe first payment upfront)?

That's an interesting suggestion, but I think that it is easier to
motivate people to turn up to one day of events than two - we could
easily end up very thin on the ground at the second day. Also it's
useful to have a day for preparation beforehand.

On 2011-06-07, Russ Garrett wrote:

> On 7 June 2011 10:49, Robert Leverington <rob...@rhl.me.uk> wrote:
> > What does everyone think about having another open day soon?
> >
> > Sunday 31 July looks like a good date, this would give us plenty of time
> > to organise the day and projects, and is approximatley 1 year since we
> > moved in to our new space.
>

> I was already discussing this date with a few other people, and it
> seems good to me. The other option would be to do it on Sunday 28th of
> August, when there'll be a bank holiday on the following day.

I personally prefer the end of July, but don't really have a reason for
this - August seems a long way away.

Robert

Russ Garrett

tom

Jun 7, 2011, 6:52:29 AM6/7/11
to London Hackspace
thats a festival weekend :P
> r...@garrett.co.uk

Martin Dittus

Jun 7, 2011, 7:09:08 AM6/7/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
Let's do it sooner! Then we can do another one in early autumn.

Let's have a think if some of the Young Hackspace stuff we did could be used for the event; some of the experiments would be quite easy to reproduce. E.g. I would love to set up a more sturdy Glob Monster installation.
http://vimeo.com/23237908

And let's take that as an opportunity for one of our (currently semi-) regular cleaning rituals.
http://groups.google.com/group/london-hack-space/browse_thread/thread/15f7b21917e2ef5a

martind.

Mike

Jun 7, 2011, 7:18:39 AM6/7/11
On Tue, Jun 07, 2011 at 03:52:29AM -0700, tom wrote:
> thats a festival weekend :P

I think a bank holiday weekend is a bad idea as a lot of people will be
stuck in a traffic jam on the M1, sorry, going away for the weekened.

Mike.

signature.asc

Russ Garrett

Jun 7, 2011, 7:29:02 AM6/7/11
On 7 June 2011 12:09, Martin Dittus <dek...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Let's do it sooner! Then we can do another one in early autumn.

Sooner than July?

One thing to note is that we have 3 alcohol licenses left for this
year, unless the Hackspace wants to pay for me to go on a personal
license course :).

--
Russ Garrett
ru...@garrett.co.uk

Charles Yarnold

Jun 7, 2011, 7:57:22 AM6/7/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com

Or me :p

Sent from my Android, please excuse typos and spelling errors.

On Jun 7, 2011 12:29 PM, "Russ Garrett" <ru...@garrett.co.uk> wrote:

On 7 June 2011 12:09, Martin Dittus <dek...@gmail.com> wrote: > Let's do it sooner! Then we can do ...

Mike

Jun 7, 2011, 7:57:25 AM6/7/11
On Tue, Jun 07, 2011 at 12:29:02PM +0100, Russ Garrett wrote:
> On 7 June 2011 12:09, Martin Dittus <dek...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Let's do it sooner! Then we can do another one in early autumn.
>
> Sooner than July?
>
> One thing to note is that we have 3 alcohol licenses left for this
> year, unless the Hackspace wants to pay for me to go on a personal
> license course :).

That depends on how much it costs.

What does one need to do in order to get an alcohol license, as a matter
of intellectual curiosity?

Mike.

signature.asc

Sam Kelly

Jun 7, 2011, 8:09:57 AM6/7/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com

Talk to the relevant licensing authority and go on the course to make sure you understand the trade & your obligations under legislation, AIUI.

There's another option, which is to find someone who already has a personal license (ie. a friendly publican) and get them to deal with it, basically setting up an extra bar of the same pub which just happens not to be physically colocated with the pub itself. There's a certain amount of hassle involved on their part (though I'm sure we could provide volunteer bar staff, setup, and shift-&-lift), and the Hackspace wouldn't see any profit from the bar.

--
Sam Kelly, http://www.eithin.co.uk/

That's it.  We're not messing around anymore, we're buying a bigger dictionary.  -  Tibor Fischer, The Thought Gang.

Russ Garrett

Jun 7, 2011, 8:16:21 AM6/7/11
On 7 June 2011 12:57, Mike <hack...@norgie.net> wrote:
> What does one need to do in order to get an alcohol license, as a matter
> of intellectual curiosity?

It's basically a case of filling in a form and paying £21.

A single person (or anyone related to them - in practice I think
everyone helping the Hackspace counts as related to me, now) can only
apply for 5 licenses per year unless they have a personal license. If
I get a personal license, the space will then be restricted to 12
events per year.

--
Russ Garrett
ru...@garrett.co.uk

Martin Dittus

Jun 7, 2011, 8:18:52 AM6/7/11

On 7 Jun 2011, at 12:29, Russ Garrett wrote:

> On 7 June 2011 12:09, Martin Dittus <dek...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Let's do it sooner! Then we can do another one in early autumn.
>
> Sooner than July?

Ah no, I meant if it's a choice between July and August then let's do July.

m.

Russ Garrett

Jun 7, 2011, 8:21:09 AM6/7/11
On 7 June 2011 13:18, Martin Dittus <dek...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Ah no, I meant if it's a choice between July and August then let's do July.

Yep, it seems like 31st July is a good date then. I've added it to the calendar.

--
Russ Garrett
ru...@garrett.co.uk

tom

Jun 7, 2011, 9:03:55 AM6/7/11
to London Hackspace
time to start a wiki page and get some AWESOME THINGS ready :D

On Jun 7, 1:21 pm, Russ Garrett <r...@garrett.co.uk> wrote:
> On 7 June 2011 13:18, Martin Dittus <deks...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Ah no, I meant if it's a choice between July and August then let's do July.
>
> Yep, it seems like 31st July is a good date then. I've added it to the calendar.
>
> --
> Russ Garrett
> r...@garrett.co.uk

Stephen Early

Jun 8, 2011, 7:23:49 AM6/8/11
to London Hackspace
Generally:

1) Go on a course and pass an exam to get the National Certificate for
Personal Licence Holders. This usually takes one day (course in the
morning, exam in the afternoon) and costs about £130. If you fail
there are discounts for re-taking the exam.
2) Obtain a criminal record disclosure certificate. Costs £25 and can
be done online through Disclosure Scotland.
3) Obtain two passport photos, and have one endorsed as a true
likeness by "a solicitor or notary, a person of standing in the
community or any individual with a professional qualification".
4) Fill in the application forms and send them, along with the
certificates, photos, and £37 to your local licensing authority.

The licence lasts for 10 years. After 10 years it must be renewed at
a cost of £37. If you change address during those 10 years you must
send your licence back to the licensing authority you originally
obtained it from, along with £10.50, for them to update it.

Steve

Russ Garrett

Jun 8, 2011, 7:36:31 AM6/8/11
On 8 June 2011 12:23, Stephen Early <s...@individualpubs.co.uk> wrote:
> Generally:

FWIW, I'm fairly sure Mike was talking about our TENs and not personal
licenses :)

--
Russ Garrett
ru...@garrett.co.uk

Stephen Early

Jun 8, 2011, 7:53:00 AM6/8/11
to London Hackspace
On Jun 7, 1:09 pm, Sam Kelly <s...@eithin.co.uk> wrote:
> There's another option, which is to find someone who already has a personal
> license (ie. a friendly publican) and get them to deal with it, basically
> setting up an extra bar of the same pub which just happens not to be
> physically colocated with the pub itself. There's a certain amount of hassle
> involved on their part (though I'm sure we could provide volunteer bar
> staff, setup, and shift-&-lift), and the Hackspace wouldn't see any profit
> from the bar.

It wouldn't be necessary for the publican to run the bar as a profit-
making part of their pub business. The main issue for a personal
licence holder who gives a temporary event notice is that all supplies
of alcohol are made by them, or under their authority - they are the
person who officially takes the blame if anything goes wrong, like
sales to people who are underage or any activity on the premises that
goes against the four Licensing Objectives (the prevention of crime
and disorder, public safety, the prevention of public nuisance, and
the protection of children from harm).

I'd be willing to put my name on a temporary event notice for the
hackspace, BUT only if I was (temporarily!) granted the authority to
deal with any problems: to refuse to sell alcohol to anyone who I
think might be underage or already drunk, and if necessary to eject
people from the space or even close the space completely. I've had
experience in the past of responsibility without authority, and it's
not one I care to repeat.

Steve

Sam Kelly

Jun 8, 2011, 11:40:11 AM6/8/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com

Sounds good to me (and I completely agree on responsibility without authority - been there, still got the T-shirt with the target on) and I'm happy to vouch to the list that Steve not only knows what he's doing but has never been known to abuse or overuse authority. Also, this would mean we got extremely good real ale[1] at non-extortionate prices.

If we decide to go down this route, I'd be entirely happy to coordinate setup and staffing - I've done that before, including as a day job a few times.

Cheers,
Sam

[1] http://www.miltonbrewery.co.uk/

Russ Garrett

Jun 8, 2011, 12:32:21 PM6/8/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
Guys,

On 8 June 2011 16:40, Sam Kelly <s...@eithin.co.uk> wrote:
> Sounds good to me (and I completely agree on responsibility without
> authority - been there, still got the T-shirt with the target on) and I'm
> happy to vouch to the list that Steve not only knows what he's doing but has
> never been known to abuse or overuse authority. Also, this would mean we got
> extremely good real ale[1] at non-extortionate prices.

I am perfectly happy acting as the licensee for these events, I've
done so several times before (both for the Hackspace and elsewhere),
and realistically I think it'll probably be easier for all involved if
it's me as opposed to Steve (although thanks for the offer!).

Buying beer is a different discussion. In the past we have tended to
stick with keg because we're better set up to serve it, and the
Meantime brewery provides us with good keg ale at non-extortionate
prices.

(In the future, if we end up needing a personal license holder, then
I'm happy to get one myself. Seems like a useful thing to have.)

--
Russ Garrett
ru...@garrett.co.uk

Sam Cook

Jun 8, 2011, 1:49:24 PM6/8/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
Would it be worth trying to organise a day/weekend prior to this to tidy/reorganise Unit 23. It seems to be getting more and more difficult to tame and I think some aspects would work in better arrangement eg having the 3-in-1, the lathes and the mill together whilst the pillar drill & saws (ie wood stuff) kept a little apart.

another thing that might be useful would be to move the storage from in front of the window as it keeps getting muddled in with the member's storage.

Stephen Early

Jun 8, 2011, 1:50:38 PM6/8/11
to London Hackspace
On Jun 8, 5:32 pm, Russ Garrett <r...@garrett.co.uk> wrote:
> Buying beer is a different discussion. In the past we have tended to
> stick with keg because we're better set up to serve it, and the
> Meantime brewery provides us with good keg ale at non-extortionate
> prices.

Serving cask ale is, if anything, easier than serving keg - you don't
need any gas, you just tap the cask and pour directly from it. I'm
happy to lend suitable equipment (taps, spiles, chocks) and I could
also lend an in-cask chilling system for up to 10 casks (which I use
for the Pembury Tavern beer festivals three times per year) if it
isn't in use elsewhere.

You do need a place to put the casks a couple of days in advance of
serving, where they won't be disturbed (picked up, knocked, rolled
around, etc.) and will have a chance to settle. A solid table should
do.

I can buy beer on behalf of the hackspace. As a guide, a firkin (9
gallons, 72 pints, of which about 69 will be usable) of 4.3% beer will
be about £85 including VAT.

Steve

Russ Garrett

Jun 8, 2011, 2:43:32 PM6/8/11
On 8 June 2011 18:50, Stephen Early <s...@individualpubs.co.uk> wrote:
> Serving cask ale is, if anything, easier than serving keg - you don't
> need any gas, you just tap the cask and pour directly from it.  I'm
> happy to lend suitable equipment (taps, spiles, chocks) and I could
> also lend an in-cask chilling system for up to 10 casks (which I use
> for the Pembury Tavern beer festivals three times per year) if it
> isn't in use elsewhere.

Thanks! We might take you up on that.

Our main issue with serving beer at these events is that we don't know
how much people are going to drink, and if we end up with a surplus,
we can't legally sell it. This is more of an issue considering the
lifetime of cask beer.

Last time we served draft beer we had 60l of Meantime Pale Ale (which
turned out to be quite palatable to lager drinkers as well), which
ended up disappearing a good 3-4 hours before we closed. So we need to
think about what we do this time - perhaps a combination of cask and
keg.

--
Russ Garrett
ru...@garrett.co.uk

Alex Pounds

Jun 8, 2011, 3:37:22 PM6/8/11
On Wed, Jun 08, 2011 at 06:49:24PM +0100, Sam Cook wrote:
> I think some aspects would work in better arrangement eg having the
> 3-in-1, the lathes and the mill together whilst the pillar drill & saws (ie
> wood stuff) kept a little apart.

The pillar drill's ideal for working metal, n'est pas? As far as I know
it's definitely not just "wood stuff."

--
Alex Pounds .~. http://www.alexpounds.com/
/V\ http://www.ethicsgirls.com/

Martin Dittus

Jun 8, 2011, 3:52:28 PM6/8/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
All good suggestions.

Why don't we prepare infrastructure suggestions on the infrastructure list; and send out a separate invitation for a cleanup session in the next few weeks. I'd be happy to do the latter, unless someone else wants to take charge.

Just to share my thoughts on it so far:
- start with a reminder (email & tweet): make sure to label & store your stuff properly, cleanup session coming up.
- early July: invitation to cleanup & space refactoring session (via email, IRC, tweet, Fax etc)
- mid-July: cleanup & space refactoring session on a suitable weekend (best a Saturday in case we need to buy stuff)
- 31 July: partay

Adrian Godwin

Jun 8, 2011, 7:58:09 PM6/8/11
On 6/8/11, Martin Dittus <dek...@gmail.com> wrote:
> All good suggestions.
>
> Why don't we prepare infrastructure suggestions on the infrastructure list;
> and send out a separate invitation for a cleanup session in the next few
> weeks. I'd be happy to do the latter, unless someone else wants to take
> charge.
>
> Just to share my thoughts on it so far:
> - start with a reminder (email & tweet): make sure to label & store your
> stuff properly, cleanup session coming up.
> - early July: invitation to cleanup & space refactoring session (via email,
> IRC, tweet, Fax etc)
> - mid-July: cleanup & space refactoring session on a suitable weekend (best
> a Saturday in case we need to buy stuff)
> - 31 July: partay

Refactoring is fine if it implements a new strategy for keeping things
in order, but just sifting for the sake of it tends to destroy rather
than create. Much better to keep things in their place as long as
possible.

We're actually not that short of space : it's just that some areas are
hard to use efficiently and this is exacerbated by people failing to
put things away when they've finished using them. That's hardly
surprising when there's no obvious place to put quite a lot of the
things (despite Phil's heroic efforts to make places).

Keeping stuff on the floor is the worst possible use of space, since
it doesn't stack very high. I believe we need another bank of shelving
to take all the stuff currently on the floor. Anything then left on
the floor is in-progress or rubbish and can be tidied appropriately.

Perhaps we could get some more shelving before tidying, so the tidied
items have a chance of staying that way ?

The shelving around the front window in #24 also needs revising - it's
unstable and irregular, encouraging random piling.

There are two large cardboard boxes in the middle of the workshop
floor. I brought them in for server packaging (and initially put them
with all the other server packaging). I presume they're not useful for
that since they haven't been used. Please throw them away.

-adrian