Installing AutoCAD 2004 in linux

aajay

Jan 28, 2009, 1:19:11 PM1/28/09
to linuxus...@googlegroups.com
Hi ,

   I have Ubuntu 8.10 installed and I would like to know how to install auto CAD 2004 in my system. I have already installed Wine but I don't know how to install Auto CAD2004 using wine.I also tried Googling it and in all cases I found it saying that one could install it with wine but the procedure was never mentioned .. I also have Qcad but it doesn't seem that helpful as many of the commands are different from Auto cad.
  Please Help ....

Regards,

Aajay

Anand

Jan 28, 2009, 1:30:09 PM1/28/09
to linuxus...@googlegroups.com
As far as I can see, installing AutoCAD using WINE will be quite a pain.
You have two alternate options:
1) Dual boot windows
2) Use Virtual box to run Windows virtualized on Ubuntu, and install AutoCAD on that.

The 2nd option might be more practical of the two.

Anand

Surya Kiran (Virus)

Jan 28, 2009, 1:33:47 PM1/28/09
to linuxus...@googlegroups.com
I agree with Ananda Narayan. And I found virtual box to be extremely fast, but getting the networking to work was quite a pain.
It took me about 30-40 seconds to boot into XP on virtualbox for the first time after a restart, and subsequent boots take about 7-10 seconds. That was awesome!
VMWare takes longer, about 45 seconds (irrespective of the other factors) but is much more stable and networking works like a charm. If you do not need networking, use virtualbox. Both are freeware.

On Wed, Jan 28, 2009 at 11:49 PM, aajay <aajay...@gmail.com> wrote:

--
Surya Kiran Oruganti
2nd Year Undergraduate Student

Surya Kiran (Virus)

Jan 28, 2009, 1:34:46 PM1/28/09
to linuxus...@googlegroups.com
Correction: VirtualBox is freeware.
I'm pretty sure VMWare Wrokstation is not, but a working copy is there on LAN anyways.

Anand

Jan 28, 2009, 1:35:29 PM1/28/09

On Thu, Jan 29, 2009 at 12:03 AM, Surya Kiran (Virus) <suryao...@gmail.com> wrote:
I agree with Ananda Narayan. And I found virtual box to be extremely fast, but getting the networking to

Err.. who is this  Ananda Narayan?

Surya Kiran (Virus)

Jan 28, 2009, 1:37:24 PM1/28/09
to linuxus...@googlegroups.com
Oops, Sorry for the mistake. I must've misread it. Pretty sleepy :)

Anand

Jan 28, 2009, 1:40:05 PM1/28/09
On Thu, Jan 29, 2009 at 12:07 AM, Surya Kiran (Virus) <suryao...@gmail.com> wrote:
Oops, Sorry for the mistake. I must've misread it. Pretty sleepy :)

Np :)

Anand

Arun Kumar Khan

Jan 28, 2009, 2:11:30 PM1/28/09
On Thursday 29 Jan 2009, Surya Kiran (Virus) wrote:
> Correction: VirtualBox is freeware.

Which version are you referring to?

VirtualBox is dual lic. a) commercial and b) GPL'd.

--
Regards,
Arun Khan

Vikramaditya M

Jan 29, 2009, 1:29:26 AM1/29/09
to linuxus...@googlegroups.com
Its not so much of a pain to get networking on VirtualBox. And it has OpenGL support if the guest OS is WindowsXP or Vista, which it is in the case of using AutoCAD. I guess AutoCAD needs the hardware acceleration. A simple google search yields a lot of results to get networking on the Guest OS, by creating a bridge.

-Vikram

Arun Kumar Khan

Jan 29, 2009, 6:40:54 AM1/29/09
to linuxus...@googlegroups.com

With the latest VirtualBox 2.x releases networking is a breeze. On the
host OS install the bridge-utils. In openSUSE 11.1, my eth0 is bound
to br0, I configure br0 with the network parameters. In VirtualBox set
the Networking to "Host Interface", when the VM boots it gets it's IP
from the LAN DHCP server. The VM is visible on the entire network.

--
Regards,
Arun Khan

aajay

Jan 29, 2009, 10:23:00 AM1/29/09
to linuxus...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

Thanks a lot everybody. I sucessfully installed Virtual Box
in my computer . But i still have a problem. I am not able to run
windows XP in it. It says " Fatal : could not read from boot medium!
System halted . So what should i do now to solve this problem..
Please Help.....

Regards ,

Aajay

Anand

Jan 29, 2009, 11:23:55 AM1/29/09
to linuxus...@googlegroups.com
You have to install Windows XP in Virtual Box just like usual installation. Use a Windows XP CD image or CD (Load from Settings -> CD/DVD Rom drive ->
Anand

s.ganga prasath1

Jan 30, 2009, 12:46:30 AM1/30/09
to linuxus...@googlegroups.com
even if there is a problem with the xp installation cd, i think this error could be there.

Arun Kumar Khan

Jan 29, 2009, 11:45:26 AM1/29/09
On Thursday 29 Jan 2009, aajay wrote:

> Thanks a lot everybody. I sucessfully installed Virtual Box
> in my computer . But i still have a problem. I am not able to run
> windows XP in it. It says " Fatal : could not read from boot medium!
> System halted . So what should i do now to solve this problem..
> Please Help.....

Your Win XP media could be suspect.

--
Regards,
Arun Khan

aajay

Jan 30, 2009, 4:26:26 AM1/30/09
to linuxus...@googlegroups.com
I booted my Windows XP CD and went halfway through the installation
till the formatting of the partition drive when suddenly it aborted
and quit. Each time I boot it again I get the same problem of it
suddenly aborting when formatting. What should I do ?

On Thu, Jan 29, 2009 at 10:15 PM, Arun Kumar Khan <kn...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> On Thursday 29 Jan 2009, aajay wrote:
>
>> Thanks a lot everybody. I sucessfuy installed Virtual Box

Arun Kumar Khan

Jan 31, 2009, 11:29:32 PM1/31/09
On Friday 30 Jan 2009, aajay wrote:
> I booted my Windows XP CD and went halfway through the installation
> till the formatting of the partition drive when suddenly it aborted
> and quit. Each time I boot it again I get the same problem of it
> suddenly aborting when formatting. What should I do ?

Post the questions in VirtualBox mailing list and/or call all up for a
replacement media perhaps.

--
Regards,
Arun Khan

Anand

Feb 1, 2009, 1:20:18 AM2/1/09

2009/1/30 aajay <aajay...@gmail.com>

I booted my Windows XP CD and went halfway through the installation
till the formatting of the partition drive when suddenly it aborted
and quit. Each time I boot it again I get the same problem of it
suddenly aborting when formatting. What should I do ?

First, try changing the media - download an iso from lan, and mount it in virtualbox.
If it still doesn't work, check that you have enough space for the virtual os on disk. You should allocate atleast 10GB for windows XP.
If that also fails, try using a 'fixed sized storage' for the virtual hardisk, rather than dynamic storage.