Re: Digest for limitedwipsocietykc@googlegroups.com - 1 update in 1 topic

Cory House

Mar 27, 2014, 8:37:49 PM3/27/14
to limitedwi...@googlegroups.com

I wouldn't use it, simply because cable Internet is fast enough for my purposes. There's no use case that would justify me going out of my way for a fatter pipe.

That said, I admire the idea and certainly see the value for people more creative and enterprising than me!

On Mar 27, 2014 4:25 PM, <limitedwi...@googlegroups.com> wrote:

Group: http://groups.google.com/group/limitedwipsocietykc/topics

    Benjamin Barreth <websi...@gmail.com> Mar 26 08:43PM -0500

    Hi everyone,

    I've been thinking about some stuff lately:

    - There is currently no business offering of Google Fiber
    - Visitors to KC can't access a full gigabit fiber connection (Cupini's
    and Mud Pie Bakery only have wifi).
    - Once every 2 months I have random strangers ask to visit the hacker
    house to use fiber for a couple hours.
    - Residential folks with the free fiber offering might occasionally want
    access to the full gigabit.
    - There is no way to "try before you buy" with Google Fiber.

    So I'm putting in an 8x12 office shed behind the hacker house that will
    look something like this:

    - Public access to a full gigabit fiber ethernet connection
    - Completely free
    - Bookable via a public community
    calendar<http://www.my.calendars.net/fibershed/d25/03/2014?positioning=S&display=M&style=B>

    - Fully insulated with heat & AC
    - Lots of windows

    Here's my questions:

    1. Would any of you actually use this thing? (Please be brutally honest)
    2. If no, *please tell me why*. (What is it missing, if anything, or do
    you simply think you would never be interested in it?)
    3. If yes, please book some times on the fiber shed calendar
    now<http://www.my.calendars.net/fibershed/d25/03/2014?positioning=S&display=M&style=B>.
    I'm trying to submit a grant to partially fund this idea and I need to show
    demand, *especially if it's anything related to Education or Workforce
    Development*.

    Thank you!

    Ben Barreth | 816-332-9770 | Homes For Hackers<http://www.homesforhackers.com/>