Fiber Shed at the Hacker House

Benjamin Barreth

Mar 26, 2014, 9:43:38 PM3/26/14
Hi everyone,

I've been thinking about some stuff lately:
  • There is currently no business offering of Google Fiber
  • Visitors to KC can't access a full gigabit fiber connection (Cupini's and Mud Pie Bakery only have wifi).
  • Once every 2 months I have random strangers ask to visit the hacker house to use fiber for a couple hours.
  • Residential folks with the free fiber offering might occasionally want access to the full gigabit.
  • There is no way to "try before you buy" with Google Fiber.
So I'm putting in an 8x12 office shed behind the hacker house that will look something like this:
  • Public access to a full gigabit fiber ethernet connection
  • Completely free
  • Bookable via a public community calendar
  • Fully insulated with heat & AC
  • Lots of windows
Here's my questions:
  1. Would any of you actually use this thing? (Please be brutally honest)
  2. If no, please tell me why. (What is it missing, if anything, or do you simply think you would never be interested in it?)
  3. If yes, please book some times on the fiber shed calendar now. I'm trying to submit a grant to partially fund this idea and I need to show demand, especially if it's anything related to Education or Workforce Development
Thank you!