Velodyne UAV for ALS like forest application

Adrien Michez

Apr 27, 2016, 3:33:15 PM4/27/16
to last...@googlegroups.com
Hi everyone,

We just bought a Velodyne puck which we are currently using as mobile terrestrial scanner.
We convert or .pcap files to coherent point clouds through online processing with www.realearth.us (who is using slam algorithm I guess).

We also have UAV's, multicopters and fixed wings and we are thinking to bring our velodyne on it.

Slam algorithms from realearth.us do not work with 'nadir like' velodyne scans (scan position 90°).

We have low cost GPS and IMU (can not be used directely to register individual scans).

I know that commercial society provides velodyne ready to flight and scan but they are based on licensed software and high quality GPS and IMU I guess.

Anyone has experience with using slam-like methods (barely no information except the scans used to build coherent point cloud) from aerial scan with velodyne puck (90° - nadir position of sensor) ? With open source soft ?

Regards,

Adrien

bells.holly

May 1, 2016, 2:08:03 PM5/1/16
to LAStools - efficient tools for LiDAR processing, adrien...@ulg.ac.be
Do you get multiple returns from that velodyne scanner? Ours is returning points with no return number. The online server indicates the scanner is in dual mode, so I'm not sure what the next troubleshooting step should be.

We use Phoenix Aerial Systems to get the data off the scanner, and it is spatially correct because of our RTK, (and IMU.) A FOSS alternative might be Cloud Compare. You can register clouds with it.

vasileios alexandridis

Mar 1, 2021, 6:36:40 AM3/1/21
to LAStools - efficient tools for LiDAR processing
Hey Andrien,

I face up the same issue like you..did u manage to find any solution? any open source software?

Best regards,
Vasilis

Jesse Johnson

Mar 1, 2021, 9:34:10 AM3/1/21
to LAStools - efficient tools for LiDAR processing
Hi Vasilis,

I ran across this solution that converts pcap files to ascii xyz and thought it might be of interest: https://gist.github.com/prerakmody/678b771b671cfe18b7b9992dadde05eb

Also, this paper has a list of OSS for processing lidar: https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0034425720304314

Cheers,

  --Jesse

Alex Oldfield

Mar 1, 2021, 2:05:15 PM3/1/21
to last...@googlegroups.com
Hi

I’m not sure if this solution will work for you guys but it may be worth a look.

Basically, you only really have the Velodyne head, which will produce a pcap file.

I think you maybe me able to get the people from Kaarta to produce a point cloud from pcap using Kaarta Cloud. And as far as I can remember, you cap upload the pcap via their website:

Would be interested to know how you get on with it. I have a VLP-16 , but have integrated it with a pretty accurate IMU and a Swiftnav RTK. We did try using IMU data from a DJI A3 IMU but accuracy wasn’t good enough.

Kaarta use their own SLAM processing and have built a range of products around the Velodyne heads, so this may be your best option with only the pcap.

Hope this helps Alex

Sent from my iPhone

On 1 Mar 2021, at 14:34, Jesse Johnson <macrovisi...@gmail.com> wrote:

--
Download LAStools at
http://lastools.org

Katie Strattman

Nov 22, 2022, 1:05:25 AM11/22/22
to LAStools - efficient tools for LiDAR processing
Hi all,

I am using a Velodyne VPL-16 for hand-held and backpack scanning and I am running into similar issues. I am using proprietary software to generate the .laz files but the outputs have no return numbers or number of returns. Has anyone been able to resolve this issue?

Thanks,
Katie

David Friedrich

Nov 22, 2022, 7:45:00 AM11/22/22
to last...@googlegroups.com
Hi Katie,

if you are using a software to generate the laz files so you maybe should talk to the vendor of this software so they can implement it.

Here is another forum thread:

Rajitha wrote:

Hi everyone

Follow these steps

  1. Velodyne sensor produces pcap files
  2. Use Veloview to view the pcap files
  3. Save as csv from veloview for each scene
  4. Save the csv as a text file
  5. Use txt2las tool to create the las files for each text file
regards

Rajitha

Best Regards,
David