Velodyne .pcap to .LAS

Fatwa Ramdani

Jan 16, 2018, 11:00:22 PM1/16/18
to last...@googlegroups.com
Dear all member,

I have .pcap data of velodyne sensor, however I don't know how to convert this data into .LAS. Is it possible to using LAStools? please let me know in detail?

Looking forward

--
Best regards,

Fatwa Ramdani

th...@ese-llc.com

Jan 17, 2018, 6:15:43 PM1/17/18
to LAStools - efficient tools for LiDAR processing
Are you running with a Trajectory or planning to use a SLAM algorithm?

Fatwa Ramdani

Jan 19, 2018, 10:33:05 PM1/19/18
to last...@googlegroups.com
Would you please let me know the differences?

Looking forward.

Regards,

Fatwa

On Jan 18, 2018 6:15 AM, <th...@ese-llc.com> wrote:
Are you running with a Trajectory or planning to use a SLAM algorithm?

th...@ese-llc.com

Jan 22, 2018, 8:17:44 AM1/22/18
to LAStools - efficient tools for LiDAR processing
The velodyne PCAP is a stream file.  It's like a video stream with a counter.  You need to know or figure out where the camera is at every given moment.  The Trajectory gives you that information before you process and SLAM figures it out with the raw data.

Add a GPS/IMU to obtain a trajectory, then align the counter to the GPS time and use software other than LASTools to create a point cloud.  Not sure if there are any open source solutions available.  (I process in this manner with a velodyne HD32e with software from LiDARUSA.  They put together the program to align and process the PCAPs.)

Or use a SLAM algorithm (check out OpenSLAM.org) which uses something like a 4d photogrammetry solution to piece it all together.  LASTools will not provide these results.

Once you have your cloud, LASTools comes into play to translate, manipulate, classify, resize and otherwise.  See the LASTools documentation for the various functions.

Valencia, Andres

Jan 22, 2018, 5:17:08 PM1/22/18
to last...@googlegroups.com
Other option is upload the trajectories files and pcap file to lidarit.com and they will do the postprocess of the trajectorie, and the match between trajectorie and pcap for to get a .laz file.

trajectorie postprocessing is very important for to get accuracy point cloud.

--
 Suscríbete a nuestro boletín

Ing. Andres David Valencia
CTO
Oficina: +57 2 3741190

krantikumar yadav

Aug 3, 2018, 3:14:19 AM8/3/18
to LAStools - efficient tools for LiDAR processing
Hi Fatwa Ramdani,

I am looking for similar solution. Can you please guide me if you have succeeded in this task.

Thanks in advance !!!

Warm Regards,
Kranti

J. Thaddeus Eldredge

Aug 3, 2018, 10:07:43 AM8/3/18
to last...@googlegroups.com
Hello All,

I have PCAP  data that I convert to LAS/LAZ all the time.  I uploaded a sample for somebody at this site:  https://www.ese-llc.com/sample-files/

I use a proprietary software created and sold by LiDARUSA combined with a GPS/IMU for trajectory.  If you do not want to use GPS/IMU, try SLAM.  Here is a link to open SLAM.

Good luck.

J. Thaddeus Eldredge, PLS, CFM

East-SouthEast, LLC
1038 Main Street
Chatham, MA 02633

PRIVACY NOTICE - This email and any files transmitted with it are confidential and intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to whom they are addressed. If you have received this email in error please notify the system manager.  You are notified that disclosing, copying, distributing or taking any action in reliance on the contents of this information is strictly prohibited.

nurul syafiqa

Oct 24, 2018, 6:50:17 AM10/24/18
to LAStools - efficient tools for LiDAR processing
Hi

May i know what software that you used from the LIDARUSA, and how to extract the trajectory data?.
because currently i have the .pcap files together with the .csv files and .sta .. and i dont know exactly how to convert to .laz or .las and together get the trajectory.

J. Thaddeus Eldredge

Oct 24, 2018, 9:13:16 AM10/24/18
to last...@googlegroups.com
We use novatel to obtain the trajectory,  xyzopkt, xyz, omega,philosophy, kappa, time.  STA plus trajectory plus raw in LiDARUSA scanlook software to obtain Las or Laz.  Contact LiDARUSA for info.

krantikumar yadav

Nov 6, 2018, 2:38:07 AM11/6/18
to last...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

Did anyone has solution around convert velodyne .pcap to .las?

Regards,
Kranti

nurul syafiqa

Nov 9, 2018, 2:19:32 AM11/9/18
to LAStools - efficient tools for LiDAR processing
hi, forgot to ask u. may i know what format the trajectory is.
 is it in .trj format?

Mawar Laboratorium

Nov 9, 2018, 7:55:16 AM11/9/18
to last...@googlegroups.com
we use pospac to get trajectories and use scanlook software to obtain LAS or LAZ data from LiDARUSA, and trajectories format is .out

th...@ese-llc.com

Nov 9, 2018, 7:55:27 AM11/9/18
to LAStools - efficient tools for LiDAR processing
A trajectory is usually a text file with a series of coordinates - XYZOPK (OPK is roll, pitch, yaw) and the GPS time.  You need to measure / calculate a boresight or the offset of XYZOPK from the sensor to the middle of the IMU.  This technique requires a GPS/IMU combination with that whole set of software.
It sounds more like you are headed towards a SLAM solution in which case I would recommend reviewing OPENSLAM.org

raj...@ait.asia

Apr 17, 2019, 10:58:03 PM4/17/19
to LAStools - efficient tools for LiDAR processing
Hi everyone

Follow these steps

  1. Velodyne sensor produces pcap files
  2. Use Veloview to view the pcap files
  3. Save as csv from veloview for each scene
  4. Save the csv as a text file
  5. Use txt2las tool to create the las files for each text file
regards

Rajitha