Cascading/daisy-chaining/relaying

andrew....@allegrowireless.com

Jul 25, 2013, 1:43:52 PM7/25/13
to kwa...@googlegroups.com
Hello,

Imagine a topology where I have a Kwatee at my site, some servers having managed software which my site can reach directly (first-level servers) and some servers which are reachable only via a specific server containing a kwatee server - via a VPN tunnel (second-level servers).

Is this possible? Can a server/agent relay I/O between a Kwatee and other server/agent?

Thanks.

Mac

Jul 25, 2013, 3:02:00 PM7/25/13
to kwa...@googlegroups.com
Hi Andrew,

If I understand correctly, your second-level servers are typically behind a firewall and not reachable from the internet but you still want to manage all deployment configuration (packages, variables, overlays, ...) centrally, right?

Setting up a second-level kwatee only makes sense if the deployment configuration for these servers is also managed at the remote site. Otherwise, all you need is some form of port forwarding to the proper server or a reverse ssh tunnel from a gateway server.

The second-level kwatee scenario (with de-centralized configuration) can be implemented using kwatee automation; let me know if you are interested and I can outline the concept for you.

Kind regards,
mac

andrew....@allegrowireless.com

Jul 26, 2013, 8:36:29 AM7/26/13
to kwa...@googlegroups.com
Hello Mac, port forwarding is a solution of course, but an approach which works with no additional network setup (aside of opening ports of course) would be much better.

Again, as we don't know the network infrastructure in advance, we cannot tell if this is possible at all. If there's a VPN tunnel brought up between two Windows servers, I'm not sure if it is even possible to set up a port forwarding.

Regards,
Andrew.

Mac

Jul 27, 2013, 4:57:01 AM7/27/13
to kwa...@googlegroups.com
One possible approach is as you suggested initially:
Install a second-level Kwatee server
    - create the package(s) as on the primary server
    - define your second-level target server(s)
    - configure the deployment environment for the second-level target server(s)

Build a script to automate the update of your latest pacakge version on your primary and second-level kwatee servers and then triggers the deployment.
Such a script should be trivial to write using Kwatee's command line tools.

I'm going to give some thought about including something similar to this natively in Kwatee in the future

Kind regards,
mac