[NOTICE] EasyCLA rollout update - enabling non-blocking mode org wide on Friday, Nov 12th

Bob Killen

Nov 10, 2021, 7:24:49 PM11/10/21
to Kubernetes developer/contributor discussion

Hey folks,

I have an update regarding the EasyCLA[1] roll-out, please give it a read.

TL;DR

  • Rolling out EasyCLA in non-blocking mode org wide on Friday, November 12th (this friday)

  • PRs will not be impacted, a failed EasyCLA check will NOT block a PR from merging

  • If you have signed the CNCF CLA previously, EasyCLA should be pass

  • If you encounter issues, report them here: https://github.com/kubernetes/org/issues/3068

  • If things go well, we will migrate to EasyCLA after the 1.23 release

History

The Linux Foundation has been working to deprecate their old closed-source CLA system and switch to EasyCLA, their Open Source solution for managing Contributor License Agreements. We had previously hoped to roll it out back in August[2] but decided to back out to attempt a more cautious approach by rolling it out in a non-blocking mode first to a single repo (k/org[3], and now project-wide.

What does this mean for you?

It means starting on Friday, you will see an additional check on your PR called “EasyCLA.” If it fails, it will not block your PR from merging. However, if you have previously signed the CLA some time ago and are still getting alerted about it, please let us know by commenting on the EasyCLA Feedback & Issues[4] thread. EasyCLA is batch updated from the old system, so if you have recently signed the CLA, it may not be synced yet.

If this non-blocking rollout goes well, we’re hoping to make the switch sometime during the week of code-freeze.

If you have any questions, please feel free to reach out in this thread or in the #github-management channel in slack.

Thanks!

- Bob, on behalf of the GitHub Admins

[1]: https://github.com/communitybridge/easycla

[2]: https://groups.google.com/g/kubernetes-dev/c/6XBg5EJdUyQ/m/CQR2tTt8BwAJ