Translation request

Lalit Pant

Oct 1, 2018, 9:59:00 AM10/1/18
to kojo-dev
Dear Language Translators,

Please translate the following strings:
S_GenerativeArt=Generative Art
S_TiledLines=Tiled Lines
S_JoyDivision=Joy Division
S_CubicDisarray=Cubic Disarray
S_TriMesh= Triangular Mesh
S_Mondrian=Mondrian Effect
S_SubtractionGame=Subtraction Game

Thanks,
- Lalit

Lalit Pant

Oct 1, 2018, 11:48:18 AM10/1/18
to kojo-dev
And to provide some context for the translation request, the generative art titles:
S_TiledLines=Tiled Lines
S_JoyDivision=Joy Division
S_CubicDisarray=Cubic Disarray
S_TriMesh= Triangular Mesh
S_Mondrian=Mondrian Effect

...are drawing numbers 1, 2, 3, 4, and 8 from this page:

Björn Regnell

Oct 1, 2018, 1:52:57 PM10/1/18
to Lalit Pant, kojo-dev
Swedish: (I think Joy Division makes no sense to translate to any language as its a name...)
https://youtu.be/reEQye0EOAw

S_TiledLines=Kakel-linjer
S_JoyDivision=Joy Division
S_CubicDisarray=Kubisk oordning
S_TriMesh= Triangelnät
S_Mondrian=Mondrianska element

BTW: Wouldn't this be more idiomatic in english?
S_Mondrian=Mondrian Elements

Lalit Pant

Oct 1, 2018, 2:40:59 PM10/1/18
to bjorn....@cs.lth.se, kojo-dev
Thanks, Bjorn.

> I think Joy Division makes no sense to translate to any language as its a name
Ah, right.

> BTW: Wouldn't this be more idiomatic in english?
> S_Mondrian=Mondrian Elements
Let me think about that...

/L

Björn Regnell

Oct 1, 2018, 3:01:48 PM10/1/18
to Lalit Pant, kojo-dev
google images search on modrian+elements:

https://www.google.com/search?tbm=isch&q=mondrian+elements

Lalit Pant

Oct 1, 2018, 3:08:33 PM10/1/18
to Björn Regnell, kojo-dev
Good thought, doing a Google search to gain insight.

A search for 'Mondrian Effect' also brings up interesting results.

Gonna crash now, will pick this thread up tomorrow ;)

PS. Cubic Disarray also seems to be the name of a Painting...

Lalit Pant

Oct 2, 2018, 12:30:56 AM10/2/18
to bjorn....@cs.lth.se, kojo-dev
I'm leaning towards Mondrian Effect, but am also fine with Mondrian Elements. Would anyone else care to chime in on this?
And I'll let Cubic Disarray go untranslated (if that's fine?).

/L

Massimo Maria Ghisalberti

Oct 2, 2018, 3:35:17 AM10/2/18
to Lalit Pant, kojo-dev
hi to all,
maybe it would be better to leave all of them in English as names of art pieces.
In Italian, some things I don't know really how to translate without too much
words, so I would leave them as they are.

S_GenerativeArt=Arte Generativa
S_TiledLines=Linee Piastrellate
S_JoyDivision=Joy Division
S_CubicDisarray=Cubic Disarray
S_TriMesh=Geometria triangolare
S_Mondrian=Effetto Mondrian
S_SubtractionGame=Gioco della sottrazione

For S_Mondrian, why not the real name of Mondrian? "Piet Mondrian" as in a web
page? Same for "Cubic Disarray", a name of a generative art by Georg Nees. In
italian is "disordine cubico" or "squilibrio cubico" but I don't think that such
localization makes the real concept behind this.
"Joy Division" is "Joy Division" as in memory of Ian Curtis. :)

Ok.

For block programming in Kojo... Kojo is text based. Period.
I completely agree with Björn and I can confirm in my little experience what he
said.

m.
> --
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/kojo-dev/CABeBrc0CfJ-jTMKjxP3WKW71L9Ugw-aUpd6HMJQLQCFfUoxQ3A%40mail.gmail.com
> .
signature.asc

Björn Regnell

Oct 2, 2018, 3:55:59 AM10/2/18
to Lalit Pant, kojo-dev
fine by me
/B

Lalit Pant

Oct 2, 2018, 8:59:57 AM10/2/18
to Massimo Maria Ghisalberti, kojo-dev
Hi Massimo,
Thanks.

Let's go with exactly what you have done - leave Joy Division and Cubic Disarray (which are well known names of artistic works) untranslated, and let's use translations for the other names (which are descriptions that we have cooked up for the corresponding samples).

Regards,
- Lalit

Il giorno lun, 01/10/2018 alle 19.28 +0530, Lalit Pant ha scritto:
> --

> .
Massimo Maria Ghisalberti
email: massimo.g...@pragmas.org
email: massimo.g...@gmail.com
tel.: (+39) 3939018290
web: http://minimalprocedure.pragmas.org
gtalk/hangouts: zai...@gmail.com
matrix: @minimalprocedure:matrix.org
Linkedin: http://www.linkedin.com/in/minimalprocedure
Twitter: https://twitter.com/minimalproc
Ello: https://ello.co/minimalprocedure
Github: https://github.com/minimalprocedure
Gitlab: https://gitlab.com/minimalprocedure

Associazione Codexpo: http://codexpo.org/

Please print only if necessary, we respect the environment.